Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bellevue 56 Dayton 7
final
Tigers dominate their rival
Does anyone have any stats on this one? How many rushing yards did Buckler get?
Not sure on the exact total - here is a complete blog of the game.

I had Buckler with 30 carries for 309 yards and five touchdowns with over 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter - the rain got to be too much after that and I lost track.
The Buckler kids is for real
Stardust Wrote:The Buckler kids is for real

Forgot to mention he added two 2-point conversations and an interception.

He is a tough player. In an interview I had with coach Eckstein earlier this week, he called Buckler the best player he has ever coached.

Prior to Bellevue (his fifth year there), Eckstein had coached as an assistant at Boone County in the state championship and at Ryle as well.
That is very impressive. I don't care if Dayton is down this year because when these 2 teams meet the emotions run so high that its normally competetive. In the mud he totes it for 300+ can you imagine if it were on turf and no rain? Toughest player in the state IMO if you look at his size. I believe he only goes 5'7 150 lbs at best.
^ Bellevue has produced some of the toughest running backs in the states history. With the dominance of Beechwood, the Bellevue tradition has been lost statewide, but those of us who have been around remember the great Bellevue teams of the past.
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...310090079/

Lee Corso’s record in picking a winner in the Bellevue-Dayton series stands at a perfect 1-0.

The visiting Tigers dominated Dayton in the bitter battle of next-door neighbors 56-7 Friday night.

• Photos: Tigers 56, Green Devils 7

Corso, the ESPN college-football analyst, attended a Bellevue pep rally Monday.

There, he put on a tiger head, Corso’s trademark method of announcing his pick for a game.

The prognasticator made the safe choice. The Tigers were heavily favored going into the game against the winless Greendevils, and senior running back Ricky Buckler proved to be the difference.

Buckler scored five touchdowns and ran for 301 yards on 30 carries. It was his fourth-consecutive game going over 200 yards.

Conditions at Dayton’s O.W. Davis field were were muddy, and Bellevue opted to run Buckler between the tackles early and often.

“We wanted to keep it on the ground because of the rain and bad field conditions,” Buckler said.

As for his individual performance, Buckler credited the offensive line.

“That was our game plan – dominate up front, and that’s what we did,” he said.

Bellevue made its offensive game plan clear on the first possession, handing the ball to Buckler on its first six plays in a drive that stalled with a pair of penalties.

Buckler broke through on Bellevue’s next possession with 14-yard touchdown run with 6:30 remaining in the first quarter.

Dayton took the lead for the only time in the game later in the quarter when Buckler fumbled. Defensive back Brandon Thornton scooped up the ball and returned it 28 yards for the touchdown.

From there, the Bellevue onslaught was on. Buckler immediately made up for the fumble, carrying the ball four times for 52 yards in a drive that ended with Buckler’s 20-yard touchdown run.

Running back D.J Slater capped the next drive with a 12-yard run, dragging a pair of Greendevil defenders into the end zone with him. Buckler did most of the work on the drive with 8 carries for 79 yards. He finished the first half with 201 yards on 22 carries.

A 70-yard interception by linebacker Alex Hegge gave Bellevue a a 28-7 halftime lead.

Bellevue retained the paddle, the trophy awarded to the winner of the Battle for the Paddle. It’s the paddle’s third year of existence, and the Tigers hold a 2-1 advanatage in the Battle. Bellevue leads the overall series 85-42-3.

Tiger fans touted James Sullivan – a Bellevue senior who had an interception in the third quarter – as if he were another prize in the rivalry. Sullivan was the subject of T-shirts worn by Bellevue fans that read, “If you can’t beat us…join us.” Sullivan transferred to Bellevue after playing for Dayton last year.

“It hurts me, but I had to do it,” Sullivan said of moving to Bellevue. “I still love every one of those (Dayton) players.”
Kentucky.com

Bellevue 14 14 14 14 -- 56
Dayton 7 0 0 0--7

B-Buckler 14 run (kick blocked)
D-Thornton 28 fumble recovery (LeWallen kick)
B-Buckler 20 run (Buckler run)
B-Slater 12 run (Buckler run)
B-Hegge 70 interception (run failed)
B-Buckler 17 run (kick failed)
B-Buckler 5 run (Sullivan run)
B-Buckler 5 run (Willis run)
B-Slater 14 run (run failed)

Records: B (5-2), D (0-7)
Regardless of how down Dayton is, this is still an impressive win for the Tigers. This is one of, if not the, longest rivalries in the state.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Regardless of how down Dayton is, this is still an impressive win for the Tigers. This is one of, if not the, longest rivalries in the state.

In both longevity and games played