Poll: Who finishes the season as starting QB?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Will Fidler (JR)
3.57%
Randall Cobb (SO)
25.00%
Morgan Newton (FR)
71.43%
Other
0%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky's QB Situation
With Mike Hartline more than likely out for the season, who finishes up the season as the starting quarterback?

Brooks addressed the media today and said we would see more Wildcat with Cobb, but he wouldn't be the full-time quarterback. Morgan Newton's redshirt will also be pulled and he and Will Fidler will be taking 1st team reps this week.

More info on Hartline's injury will be known tomorrow as well.
Glade to see that Newtons redshirt has been pulled. I think that he will bring a second demention to the offense once he gets his chance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I believe that Newton beats Fidler for the starting spot.
I'd go with Cobb...

Run alot more Wildcat.
You go with Newton their will be more long term goods to come out of that...As where we sit at this point we still have to win the 2 non-conference game on our schedule and win 2 SEC games to even become bowl eligable (which is a feat in its self) Miss State is no push over as they have shown in past year, Vandy needs to be a def win, have a very tough game in Auburn this week, and Tenn looks darn good at this point (play all depends on the QB for them) to many variables right now not to go with Newton solidify him as the starter show faith in your freshman in still confidence in him and show him he can do it, so far we have not done that
Well, I'm glad Newton got the redshirt pulled. I think he'll beat Fidler out for the starting job. I'm also glad to see Brooks and company plan on using the wildcat a little more with Cobb. I would have loved to seen them stay in the Wildcat on that 2nd pt con. against SC on sat.
MVP2 Wrote:Well, I'm glad Newton got the redshirt pulled. I think he'll beat Fidler out for the starting job. I'm also glad to see Brooks and company plan on using the wildcat a little more with Cobb. I would have loved to seen them stay in the Wildcat on that 2nd pt con. against SC on sat.

your not the only one.
If he thinks he might get the job, he will try so hard for that start. Just the thought of a chance to start in the SEC to me will drive him to be at his best.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Hartline may be back this year. Brooks just announced that Hartline will be out 3-4 weeks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You have to go with Newton. Fidler proved that he just simply cannot move the ball against a good defense. Newton has the most upside so you have to go with him. The great thing about easing Newton into the game right now also is that we showed we are great out of the wildcat, this will limit Newton's snaps and gradually work him in to show what he can do in small doses
I think you will see Fidler/Newton from play QB against Auburn, with Cobb running the Wildcat. Newton will play a majority of the snaps, and then depending on how things go, you will see Newton be the primary guy from here on out.

I know a lot of people didn't like Hartline. I wasn't a big fan of his myself, but I hated to see him go down, and have a QB dilemma arise because of an injury. I hope nothing but a full, speedy recovery from Mike.
I'm willing to live and die with Cobb. He makes things happen. He is an athlete. The mistakes that he will make can be more than made up by the potential playmaking capabilites that he possesses.
Stardust Wrote:I'm willing to live and die with Cobb. He makes things happen. He is an athlete. The mistakes that he will make can be more than made up by the potential playmaking capabilites that he possesses.

I agree with your post. Cobb will find a way to make things happen - he is a true competitor and you can't convince me that anyone will work harder than Randall for KY. From Alcoa
Thats what i thought they would do. They needed to pull Morgan Newton's redshirt. He will deffinetly be able to make good progress as the starting QB. We need Randall Cobb at WR and Morgan is a two dimensional QB and he is more accurate than Hartline. I think this is almost the best thing that could have happened as far as Morgan Newton is concerned.
What kind of accuracy does Newton have. If Mathews and Cobb get open, can he get the ball to them is the question?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

As far as long term goes, this Hartline's injury may very well be beneficial to the program, but I hate that an injury caused a change.
I think Newton is going to be the starter with fidler as a second option and then alot more cobb in the wildcat.
i am definitely a newton fan,but i worry about coming right out of high school and straight into sec play against auburn. take the best team he played last year and times that by 20.i hope he could get in against a louisiana monroe,eku and then work his way into the position.i just dont want this kid hurt,he could be the future of our program.
Should be even more interesting from here on out.
just remember every one we must have patience what we expect in the Auburn game if Newton is the QB we cant expect alot of razzel dazzel it will be a very vanilla offense
I don't agree with pulling the redshirt halfway through the season
especially when you have Cobb's talent and Fidler on the roster
Fidler didn't show me much....but he's replacing Hartline....not Jon Elway
Hartline has made great strides this year....but I just hate to see the freshman lose a year of eligibilty to maybe squeak out bowl eiligibility
zaga_fan Wrote:I don't agree with pulling the redshirt halfway through the season
Hartline has made great strides this year....but I just hate to see the freshman lose a year of eligibilty to maybe squeak out bowl eiligibility

Definitely
zaga_fan Wrote:I don't agree with pulling the redshirt halfway through the season

Disagree.

I was a huge advocate for keeping Hartline at QB because he was a RS-Junior and won the starting spot outright coming into Fall. There is a reason Fidler is a RS-Senior who has never been a factor towards being the starting QB, he simply is not close to being a SEC level QB. The bottom line is Fidler and Newton are not seperated by very much as it stands. You start Fidler and you will basically be playing the rest of the season with a mediocre QB with limited upside, who will be gone by season's end. Newton is a Fresh QB and potentially your future superstar, he may be mediocre now but his upside is huge and whatever games he plays will be a building block for the future.

I will also say that the decision becomes easier now that Alabama and UF are out of sight and out of mind., he two best defenses in the SEC. My biggest concern with Newton would have been him getting shellshocked by these great defenses and losing his confidence for the future. With those two games down, as well as South Carolina, arguably the three best defenses UK has to face are out of the way. The schedule also sets up nicely, see below:

Oct. 17 at Auburn 7:30pm - Tigers defense is #9 in conference, #9 in passing defense, and tied for 6th in sacks (same as UK)
Oct. 24 La.-Monroe 7:00pm - Step down in competition
Oct. 31 Miss. State TBA - 11th in sacks, 10th in pass defense, 10th overall in defense in SEC
Nov. 7 Eastern Kentucky TBA - Step Down
Nov. 14 at Vanderbilt TBA - Hartline may be back, the Dores have a decent defense but no matter how bad UK plays they should be in the game late.
Nov. 21 at Georgia TBA - Even if Hartline isn't back UGA's defense is horrible. 11th overall in conference and 11th in pass defense.
Nov. 28 Tennessee TBA -Hartline will be back for sure by then, even if he isn't then Newton will be very experienced
Stardust Wrote:I'm willing to live and die with Cobb. He makes things happen. He is an athlete. The mistakes that he will make can be more than made up by the potential playmaking capabilites that he possesses.
You have spoke the truth. He makes things happen and he is a great athlete
All you have to do is look at the pros and cons between who to start. Newton pros: gain experience, showcase talent, learn speed of game, 4 years of eligibility left, better qb than fidler (lets be honest). Newton cons: could get hurt, could lose confidence. Fidler pros: Not a big deal if he gets hurt, more experienced with the offense cons: Not as talented, proved he cant move the ball, taking snaps that could help a FR quarterback gain experience. Thats how i see it anyway, its pretty simple to me. And lets be honest i dont buy into the whole a bad game ruins confidence anyway. The guy signed up to play the QB position a long time ago and he knew what that entailed, SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS, if he doesnt have that, i dont want that guy leading my team anyway, if he doesnt have enough guts to accept a bad game and improve on it then hes at the wrong position. so why not put him in and see what kind of player he is.
I heard on the radio this morning that Mike Hartline, quarterback for the University of Kentucky who suffered a knee injury in the game against the University of South Carolina this past Saturday, may be out for the rest of the season. He suffered an injury to the MCL and PCL therefore the Wildcats may be SOL. Did you get it? :biggrin:
If Newton is anything like Cobb was last year, this is a long time coming. I know that he is a freshman, but I still think he has the talent, and his team to back him up and help him a long a the way. This is going to be the best learning experience. If he stayed redshirt, then he would have to battle Moss for the spot next year, but now he has the upper advantage against Moss next year. Win or Lose he will be a better quarterback because of what he is going to learn. If it is going to happen, then I would rather it happen now than Vandy, Georgia, or Tennessee.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Joker Phillips didn't comment on either quarterback today after practice. He said he's leaving the up to Rich Brooks. Brooks said it could be a gametime decision to whom will be starting quarterback for the Cats Saturday versus Auburn. Joker also mentioned that Newton & Fidler will not be allowed to speak with the media this week.

Its obvious that Brooks wants to keep Auburn guessing.
I think that should use Morgan Newton because alot of needed experience as a freshman and would could have a constant starting QB for the next three years. I think they should share time between Cobb and Newton at QB against Auburn and then let Newton start against UL-Monroe. This would provide great experience for Newton going through the rest of the season. If you look at the rest of the schedule, UK should be able to win all these games.
Great point, and I really dont blame Brooks. It just adds another variable to Auburn's preparation for the game IMO if he keeps everything hush hush at this point. I think if anything at all they should at least give Newton some snaps just to see what happens and to give him some experience.