Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 5A District 8 Playoff Picture
This is a good subject to talk about. Right now there is a 4 way tie for first place, and anything can happen right now in this districts. From the looks of things there will be no champion crowned until after next weeks games. What do you all think about this crazy district?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Letcher Central (5-2, 2-1)
Wins: Perry Central, Whitley County
Loss: Harlan County
Remaining: Clay County and North Laurel at Home
TIEBREAKER POINTS TO DATE: South Laurel (2), Middlesboro (2), Hazard (4).. 8
Analysis: They should win their final two district game assuring at least a tie for 1st place, for the most part they control their own destiny aside for Harlan County. Needs Harlan County to lose to either of their remaining games, or either PCC or Whitley to win out to clinch (barring they win out themselves).

Perry Central (6-1, 2-1)
Wins: North Laurel, Clay County
Loss: Letcher Central
Remaining: @ Harlan County, vs. Whitley County
TIE: Casey County (2), Knott Central (1), Breathitt (3), Logan, WV (1),North Laurel (4), Clay County (3).. 12
Analysis: Toughest remaining district schedule by far. Simply put Letcher Central has to lose for them to win the district. If LCC wins out then PCC is automatically eliminated.

Harlan County (5-2, 2-1)
Wins: Letcher Central, North Laurel
Loss: Whitley County
Remaining: vs. Perry Central, @ Clay County
TIE: Leslie County (2), North Laurel (4), Lee VA (0), Powell Valley VA (3)... 9
Analysis: Need a victory over Perry Central and for Whitey either to lose to PCC or to non-district Rockcastle County.

Whitley County (3-4, 2-1)
Wins: Harlan County, Clay County
Loss: Letcher Central
Remaining: vs. North Laurel, @ Perry Central
TIE: Lynn Camp (3), Clay County (3).. 6
Analysis: Needs a LCC loss to really help. Otherwise win over PCC and non-district Rockcastle badly needed. A 3 way tie will doom them on the tie-breaker if they can't beat Rockcastle.
The way it stands right now I would project:
1. Letcher Central
2. Perry Central
3. Whitley County
4. Harlan County

I think Letcher beats Clay and North Laurel, PCC beats Harlan County and Whitley, Whitley defeats North Laurel and loses to PCC, Harlan County beats Clay and loses to PCC. This results in a 2-way tie for 1st between LCC and PCC which LCC owns the tiebreaker due to the head to head game. Same thing for the 2 seed where HCHS and WC tie.

The one thing that this district taught us though is you never really know what will happen.Clay County technically is the only team with no show at winning the district. Just for fun:

North Laurel (4-3, 1-2)
Win: Clay County
Losses: Perry Central and Harlan County
Remaining: @ Whitley, @ LCC
TIE: Pulaski County (5), Knox Central (4), South Laurel (2), Clay County (3)... 14
Analysis: NL is the team noone wants to be in multi-team tie with because first of all they will be unable to count their win against them, but secondly because NL will have a ton of tie-breaker points. Must win out and hope PCC and Harlan each lose.
actually its a 3 way tie right now with letcher, harlan and whitley, but only because perry has only played one of these teams and it was letcher who they got beat by.
wood_chuck Wrote:actually its a 3 way tie right now with letcher, harlan and whitley, but only because perry has only played one of these teams and it was letcher who they got beat by.

As long as everyone has a 2-1 district record it is a 4 way tie.
do they not look at head to head as the 1st tie breaker?
wood_chuck Wrote:do they not look at head to head as the 1st tie breaker?

Only in head to head, or only in the very rare instance that in a multiple team tie ALL the teams own a common victory. For example, in this instance that would only apply if PCC had lost to Harlan, Whitley, and LCC (in which case they wouldnt be in a tie anyway)
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The way it stands right now I would project:
1. Letcher Central
2. Perry Central
3. Whitley County
4. Harlan County

I think Letcher beats Clay and North Laurel, PCC beats Harlan County and Whitley, Whitley defeats North Laurel and loses to PCC, Harlan County beats Clay and loses to PCC. This results in a 2-way tie for 1st between LCC and PCC which LCC owns the tiebreaker due to the head to head game. Same thing for the 2 seed where HCHS and WC tie.

The one thing that this district taught us though is you never really know what will happen.Clay County technically is the only team with no show at winning the district. Just for fun:

North Laurel (4-3, 1-2)
Win: Clay County
Losses: Perry Central and Harlan County
Remaining: @ Whitley, @ LCC
TIE: Pulaski County (5), Knox Central (4), South Laurel (2), Clay County (3)... 14
Analysis: NL is the team noone wants to be in multi-team tie with because first of all they will be unable to count their win against them, but secondly because NL will have a ton of tie-breaker points. Must win out and hope PCC and Harlan each lose.
NL doesn't have to win out. If Clay County beats LCC then the the winner of the NL/ LCC game will be 4th. All teams in the district are still alive and all the teams could still technically be knocked out.
I thought you only get points for non district wins, if I'm right then the points added up is wrong.
For every win your non district players have, you get a point for tie breaker right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

You get points for wins against four defeated opponents, except for teams involved in the tie. Wins against Clay and North would cancel out for the teams involved in the tie though if things continue as they are.
"scratching my head hoping after this week we will have some order".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

HB0669 Wrote:I thought you only get points for non district wins, if I'm right then the points added up is wrong.

You can coutn district wins as long as they are not part of the tie. That's why I said that everyone involved better hope that North Laurel doesn't get involved in the tiebreaker because some teams are counting on them as some of their tiebreaker points so far and North Laurel's victories over Knox Central and Pulaski County would help them alot.
3wishes Wrote:NL doesn't have to win out. If Clay County beats LCC then the the winner of the NL/ LCC game will be 4th. All teams in the district are still alive and all the teams could still technically be knocked out.

Read again..I was only referring to being the District Champ.
The district championship is Letcher Central's to loose. They have to take care of business.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

I don't understand that logic.
What happens if both Harlan County and Letcher Central win out?
Out of state teams don't count in the tie breaker system. I am pretty sure about that! If Harlan and Letcher win out then Harlan takes the district due to the head to head win.
cougarpride08 Wrote:The district championship is Letcher Central's to loose. They have to take care of business.

if harlan county loses it is.
If Harlan County leaves on a school bus at 2pm traveling to Clay and North Laurel Leaves London heading to Letcher Countyat 3pm and if Perry Central leaves Hazard heading west at 2:45pm ends up in Whitley County, but Whitley County left at 5:30 in the morning headed Harlan County! Where do they all end up???

What? My head hurts!!!!!!
I think all teams deserve it honestly i do and i have wandered if bell would ever move up to 5A would they be in that district or another because that would be like the best freaking district in the state it would be really interested to see who would come out on top every year but this year if i had to choose a team i believe The Black Bears will win the district because of the head to head win over LCC but that would make a great reason to have revenge next year man i love mountain football
WOW this district is Crazy!!!! Of Course im pulling for Harlan County and North Laurel (I have to stick with the Larkey's lol)
3wishes Wrote:NL doesn't have to win out. If Clay County beats LCC then the the winner of the NL/ LCC game will be 4th. All teams in the district are still alive and all the teams could still technically be knocked out.

PCC or Harlan Co will be 2-2 after this weekend.

It is not over for NL. They have to win out, and hope for some luck.
If Whitley loses to Perry Central with LCC and Harlan winning their final district games, Harlan wins district. If Whitley beats Perry Central , with LCC and Harlan winning, it will be a three way tie with LCC having the advantage with the tiebreaker unless Harlan County defeats Bell County at Log Mountain or Whitley beats Rockcastle Co at the Rock.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:If Whitley loses to Perry Central with LCC and Harlan winning their final district games, Harlan wins district. If Whitley beats Perry Central , with LCC and Harlan winning, it will be a three way tie with LCC having the advantage with the tiebreaker unless Harlan County defeats Bell County at Log Mountain or Whitley beats Rockcastle Co at the Rock.

After this week you have a three way tie for first place.
LCC, Whitley, and Harlan all have one district loss.
Assuming they all win Friday then there will still be a three way tie for first.

So if all three win Friday the tiebreaker should look like this:

LCC- Non district wins
South Laurel- 2 wins
Middlesboro-3 wins
Hazard- 5 wins
For a total of 10 points

LCC also plays Moore which has two wins, which could give them a total of twelve points.

Harlan County-Non District wins
Lee VA-0 wins i think, (going by earlier post)
Powell VA.-3 wins
Leslie County- 2 wins
For a total of 5 points , with Bell Remaining but i dont see any points coming from there.

Whitley County-Non district wins
Lynn camp - 3 wins
for a total of three points with rockcastle remaining which could possible be 5 wins for a complete total of 8 points.

That would leave the district being:
1. Letcher County Central
2.Whitley County (assuming they beat Rock)
3.Harlan County
4. Perry County Central
Thats on the basis of all three teams winning Friday, and Whitley beating Rockastle in the last game.

Now if Letcher loses and Whitley and Harlan wins- Whitley is champions
If Whitley loses and Harlan and LCC wins Harlan is champions
If harlan loses and Whitley and LCC wins, LCC is champions.

Worst case scenario, all three teams lose then i think it would be a four way tie for first with all four teams at 3-2?!?!

Truth is this district isnt going to be decided until late friday night and maybe not even then.

I believe this is how it is suppose to work with the tiebreakers and all but someone with more knowledge can correct me if i am wrong.

Whitley wishes it went by points differential like it does in many states...
Whitley beat Harlan 36-8 for 28 points
Harlan beat LCC 12-7 for 5 points
and LCC beat Whitley 34-27 for 7 points
If it worked that way it would be
1.Whitley
2.LCC
3.Harlan

Like i said though this is merely a guess please correct if i am wrong.
Lee High has a win. They could have one more. PV will have at least one more and I feel Leslie will beat Knott to give HC another point so there may be a scenario where HC could finish 2nd in a three or four way tie.
IMO, i think district 8 will dominate district 7. all four teams are very competitive. north laurel beat district 7's number 1 seed (pulaski County) and north laurel didnt even make the playoffs. i think we will see alot of rematches in the postseason.
Just keep wining lcc
Out of state wins don't count in a tie breaker right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

cheeseforme Wrote:Out of state teams don't count in the tie breaker system. I am pretty sure about that! If Harlan and Letcher win out then Harlan takes the district due to the head to head win.

I looked it up and out of state teams can be counted
According to KHSAA, if Harlan, Letcher, and Whitley would win, it would look like this

b) TIE-BREAKER (more than two teams). Should three or more
teams tie for the a district position based upon the win-loss
record, the position shall be determined by the following:
i) If one of the teams has defeated each of the other teams
tied in games contested between them, that team shall be
declared to hold the highest position, and the winner of the
game between the remaining teams (if less than four) shall
be declared the second highest position. In the event of
more than three teams being tied, where one has defeated
each of the tied teams, that team shall be declared the
highest position, and the tie-breaking procedure shall be
re-applied for the remaining tied teams.
ii) If the tie remains, each team tied for the position shall
receive one point for each game won by any four of their
defeated opponents in all games, except for the games
played between any two of the tied teams. All games played
shall be counted in applying the tie-breaking procedure,
including out of state games, with the exception that a
defeated school may be counted only once in the procedure
regardless of the number of games played against that
particular school. Teams awarded forfeit victories (whether
or not a forfeit fee is paid) may count the defeated opponents
of the forfeiting team, provided the game was not replaced
on the schedule.
iii) If the tie remains after application of provision (ii), an
additional defeated opponent’s wins will be added to the
point total for each team until the tie is broken and the
winner of the tied position declared, or until all games are
exhausted.
iv) If the tie for the position involves only three teams, and the
application of (ii) and (iii) results in one team being declared
the winner of the tied position based on point totals, the
highest point total from the application of (ii) and (iii)
between the two remaining tied teams shall be declared to
hold the next position.
v) If the tie for the championship involves more than three
teams, and the application of (ii) and (iii) results in one
team being declared the winner of the tied position based
on point totals, the procedure shall then be re-applied to
determine the next position.
vi) If the tie for the position involves more than three teams,
and the application of (ii) and (iii) results in two teams
remaining tied for the position based on points, the head
to head game played between them shall break the tie, and
head to head competition will break any remaining ties.
viii) If a tie results after application of all provisions of the
above plan, the tie shall be broken by the Board of Control.