Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Behavior of certain schools' fans
A few weeks back I went to a game with one of my old pals, who lives in Fleming County. I noticed that the fans, specifically the students, were incredibly loud and really getting into the game: good in some ways, creative in some ways, and bad in some ways. I guess "passionate" is the nicest way to put it. My point is, they really stood out to me above any other fan group I've seen this year- and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way.

I have recently read some comments and complaints in this forum about the student fans at certain schools, and I am wondering if its just Fleming County that acts in such ways to such a high degree, or are there other schools like that? Is Fleming County really as bad, I mean "passionate", as everyone says, or is it worse at other places?

Thanks, BBJT
Boy, GRC fans are horrendous. Those adults that sit behind the opposing teams bench are pathetic. To think that baiting and cursing a High School athlete is a way to support your team is an absolute hillbilly way to think. Those people are absolute idiots. I'm sure there are good GRC fans, so I don't mean to paint a picture that they all are bad, just the ones who sit on their tailgate, all drinking from a styrofoam cup and yelling obsceneties to players and the female managers that are all high school students.. That's pathetic!
I blame this solely on the home schools administration. They are responsible for this and should be held accountable.
I'm not sure how many will agree, but IMO Belfry has some really obnoxious fans. I'm not saying they are all bad, but I have personally seen parents screaming at players and calling out other parents in the stands. I do not feel this type of behavior should be accepted. Please don't take this the wrong way I know that all teams have a few bad apples in thier fan base, but I feel Belfry has more than a few.
Stardust Wrote:Boy, GRC fans are horrendous. Those adults that sit behind the opposing teams bench are pathetic. To think that baiting and cursing a High School athlete is a way to support your team is an absolute hillbilly way to think. Those people are absolute idiots. I'm sure there are good GRC fans, so I don't mean to paint a picture that they all are bad, just the ones who sit on their tailgate, all drinking from a styrofoam cup and yelling obsceneties to players and the female managers that are all high school students.. That's pathetic!

I agree, I remember playing there back in high school and it wasnt students, yet parents setting there calling us out and trying to get to us all night. I believe they should make those fans sit in the bleachers.
Blueblood JiveTurkey Wrote:A few weeks back I went to a game with one of my old pals, who lives in Fleming County. I noticed that the fans, specifically the students, were incredibly loud and really getting into the game: good in some ways, creative in some ways, and bad in some ways. I guess "passionate" is the nicest way to put it. My point is, they really stood out to me above any other fan group I've seen this year- and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way.

I have recently read some comments and complaints in this forum about the student fans at certain schools, and I am wondering if its just Fleming County that acts in such ways to such a high degree, or are there other schools like that? Is Fleming County really as bad, I mean "passionate", as everyone says, or is it worse at other places?

Thanks, BBJT

Oh BBJT, you hit the nail on the head. They are so rude and obnoxious, it's not even funny. They are always hollering for their players to break necks and backs. They are really at the bottom of the food chain. I would never send my kids to that school. They really need lessons in tact.
Blueblood JiveTurkey Wrote:A few weeks back I went to a game with one of my old pals, who lives in Fleming County. I noticed that the fans, specifically the students, were incredibly loud and really getting into the game: good in some ways, creative in some ways, and bad in some ways. I guess "passionate" is the nicest way to put it. My point is, they really stood out to me above any other fan group I've seen this year- and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way.

Thanks, BBJT

Well in all fairness the parents(myself being a major player) not the students at West Jessamine are lunatics. Our head coach actually told me to leave the opposing coaches alone. which i have done. Were just really good fans and travel well. Ask Boyle county we out numbered them on senior night. yeah that ticked me off should have been a full house Boyle earned it.
When I was in high school I threw the kitchen sink at opposing teams however did it with out cursing, you know some your mom and girlfriend jokes, normally picked on one player and the opposing coach, but I kept it as clean as possible because our principal was pretty strict and was a great guy so I didnt want to disrespect him or my school. That is where the line is drawn IMO if you couldnt say something infront of someone you have much respect for then dont say it otherwise you will be frowned upon.

I will say this one thing I love about P-Burg fans is the Hail BLackcat chant
You're gonna find, for a lack of better terms, "passionate" fans where ever you go in eastern kentucky. Any game that i've been to whether it was football or basketball there have always been "passionate" fans! Its not just students either, alot of the times its actually the parents acting this way more than it is the students from that school. I don't know if its just an Eastern Kentucky thing or not but it seems to be that way at almost any venue.
openminded Wrote:I'm not sure how many will agree, but IMO Belfry has some really obnoxious fans. I'm not saying they are all bad, but I have personally seen parents screaming at players and calling out other parents in the stands. I do not feel this type of behavior should be accepted. Please don't take this the wrong way I know that all teams have a few bad apples in thier fan base, but I feel Belfry has more than a few.

I have never seen a Belfry parent yell or curse a child from another school.
I was at a middle school game earlier this season between Boyle County and Mercer County. Unfortunately I heard some comments out of a few BC parents that were out of line and embarrassing to me, as a Boyle fan. One called an MC player a punk. I guess the kid was a punk because he ripped off several long runs on simple off tackle plays. I've never heard anything similar at a BC varsity game although I'm sure it happens. I think it's a reflection on our society. Also, it seems that women are worse than the men. Showing off maybe? Always seems to be "white trash" or hardcore "ghetto thugs" doing it when I see it.
openminded Wrote:I'm not sure how many will agree, but IMO Belfry has some really obnoxious fans. I'm not saying they are all bad, but I have personally seen parents screaming at players and calling out other parents in the stands. I do not feel this type of behavior should be accepted. Please don't take this the wrong way I know that all teams have a few bad apples in thier fan base, but I feel Belfry has more than a few.

I have seen a few unruly fans from Belfry myself never the players or coaches or students for that matter, but parents. Although I don't feel that there are any more bad apples at Belfry than there is anywhere else.
As long as you have fans on this earth you will have jerks just as you will have true supporters of not only their school but their sport. Every school has good and every school has bad just like every family has a black sheep or someone that you just shake your head about and move on.
Fans know nothing about what really goes on in games or practice, especially parents.
CatDawg Wrote:As long as you have fans on this earth you will have jerks just as you will have true supporters of not only their school but their sport. Every school has good and every school has bad just like every family has a black sheep or someone that you just shake your head about and move on.

I agree 100%
The menatally of fans have changed over the years as many, no matter the school see how pro fans act. Blame can be placed on the school admistration, or parents or whoever but the individual is soley at fault . We live in a different culture and bad fan behavior only casts a bad light on the school and team.
I always thought Dayton fans were some of the worst ones out there. And it doesn't make it any better with the home and visiting fans sitting on the same side.
Perry County Central has the worst fans. Mercer County runs a close second.
Stardust Wrote:Boy, GRC fans are horrendous. Those adults that sit behind the opposing teams bench are pathetic. To think that baiting and cursing a High School athlete is a way to support your team is an absolute hillbilly way to think. Those people are absolute idiots. I'm sure there are good GRC fans, so I don't mean to paint a picture that they all are bad, just the ones who sit on their tailgate, all drinking from a styrofoam cup and yelling obsceneties to players and the female managers that are all high school students.. That's pathetic!

Very poor choice of words.
In my many years of going to high school football games the only truly unnacceptable fans i have ever seen are parents. Its not just football I went to the district championship soccer game between Paintsville and Johnson central and the things that parents where saying to children playing a sport appalled me. Both sides parents where doing it only when they where losing. that in my book is as pathetic as it gets. Its a game get over it.
Strange that with all of the issues with Bell County "fans" on this forum that nobody has said "Bell County". Now, I've never met a Bell County fan in my life so I AM NOT SAYING BELL COUNTY FANS ARE BAD!! I am saying that I am surprised that nobody else has said it. Where is Rocket01?
tcb Wrote:Perry County Central has the worst fans. Mercer County runs a close second.

My school took a pep club bus to our game at Perry Central a couple of weeks ago, and that's^ what I thought after the game.
As soon as we walked in, their students started shouting things at us just for walking by them I guess. It was very rude. And while we were standing up cheering for our team, they would continue to walk infront of us and try to start things. To me that says no class. Not saying it was all of them, but the majority.
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Strange that with all of the issues with Bell County "fans" on this forum that nobody has said "Bell County". Now, I've never met a Bell County fan in my life so I AM NOT SAYING BELL COUNTY FANS ARE BAD!! I am saying that I am surprised that nobody else has said it. Where is Rocket01?

We just played Bell and their fans acted just fine. They cheered for their team, nothing else that I saw. I think what you may read on here and what you will find at ball games are two totally different things.

We hosted Perry County Central this year and their fan's just cheered for their team as well. They had a small but rowdy student section that made the trip, which I like to see personally. Never saw or heard anything out of sorts.

I am ashamed. Stardust of all people. For a person who likes to take the moral high road, you stereotype poor fan behavior as being Hillbilly. If fans behave badly in Northern Kentucky is it called "Buckeye behavior" due to the obnoxiousness and elitist attitudes of a great number of people who live in Ohio or near Ohio. No. There are good people everywhere so lets not use the social stereotypes.
firechief Wrote:I blame this solely on the home schools administration. They are responsible for this and should be held accountable.

You can blame the administration, but I'll put it where it really belongs...on the parents.

Student sections and school-aged fans should be cheering their team on, in a positive manner. Cursing and taunting has no place in athletic events in my opinion. Kids who come to a ballgame expecting to act this way aren't being taught why they shouldn't at home, by the people whose word they respect the most, their parents. End of story.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I am ashamed. Stardust of all people. For a person who likes to take the moral high road, you stereotype poor fan behavior as being Hillbilly. If fans behave badly in Northern Kentucky is it called "Buckeye behavior" due to the obnoxiousness and elitist attitudes of a great number of people who live in Ohio or near Ohio. No. There are good people everywhere so lets not use the social stereotypes.

Yeah Stardust, whats wrong with you? I've never seen a Hillbilly act badly at a game. Rednecks and Hicks yes, but never a Hillbilly!
Mama Bear Wrote:We just played Bell and their fans acted just fine. They cheered for their team, nothing else that I saw. I think what you may read on here and what you will find at ball games are two totally different things.

We hosted Perry County Central this year and their fan's just cheered for their team as well. They had a small but rowdy student section that made the trip, which I like to see personally. Never saw or heard anything out of sorts.

I will disagree concerning the Perry Central fans. As a veteran of sports in the 14th region, they get out of hand, especially at their home field. Wait until you play them in Hazard next year, you will see what everyone is talking about. At home, they turn into rabid animals and school officials doesn't seem to care as Superintendant Amis lets them run wild.
Yep, social stereotyping is only a small step away from racism and bigotry. I am almost sure that no racist post would be allowed on here. I do not know you personally Stardust, but I figure you weren't specifically referring to any one section of our fine state. Now being from the "hillbilly" part of the world, I understand the mindset from which Stardust speaks, but the "baiting and cursing" happens everywhere. It is sometimes hidden beneath a veil of elitism and success. Some fans think it is their birthright to down teams that may have not had the success theirs has had. Bad behaviour is bad behaviour regardless of where you are from.
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Yeah Stardust, whats wrong with you? I've never seen a Hillbilly act badly at a game. Rednecks and Hicks yes, but never a Hillbilly!

Good example of Buckeye attitude.
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Yeah Stardust, whats wrong with you? I've never seen a Hillbilly act badly at a game. Rednecks and Hicks yes, but never a Hillbilly!

:thatsfunn