Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Tradition Rich Basketball Programs
Who do you think are the most tradition rich programs besides UK...I'd say North Carolina and Kansas.
UCLA/Kansas/UNC/Duke
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:UCLA/Kansas/UNC/Duke

agreed
The most storied program is Kansas. Phogg Allen is the Godfather of college Basketball. Adolph Rupp played and was mentored by Phogg. Adolph took what he learned from Phogg and changed the face of Basketball forever by changing Basketball from an intramural sport where the football players stayed in shape, to a true recognized sport that challenged college football in popularity. John Wooded took the football dominate UCLA program and changed the schools recognition into a Basketball powerhouse. Dean Smith, a later student of Phogg Allenn, came into the sport towards the tail end of the Coach Rupp era in the 60's. Dean Smith did NC for the East Coast, what Adolph had did with UK in the south in making Basketball an equal to football. Finally, Coach K, love him or hate him, has been the next phase of College Godfathers, whose teams have set the symbol that many of the current teams strive to be like.

These are definitely the teams that are most recognizable programs in the hostory of the sport.

I'd also include Indiana, Michigan, Syracuse as some of those teams over the years that have had an excellent history and for the past 30 years are always considered one of the better programs in college Basketball. Each have had their own issues over the past few years, but they have history behind them that allows them to continue to recruit at a high level.
Stardust Wrote:The most storied program is Kansas. Phogg Allen is the Godfather of college Basketball. Adolph Rupp played and was mentored by Phogg. Adolph took what he learned from Phogg and changed the face of Basketball forever by changing Basketball from an intramural sport where the football players stayed in shape, to a true recognized sport that challenged college football in popularity. John Wooded took the football dominate UCLA program and changed the schools recognition into a Basketball powerhouse. Dean Smith, a later student of Phogg Allenn, came into the sport towards the tail end of the Coach Rupp era in the 60's. Dean Smith did NC for the East Coast, what Adolph had did with UK in the south in making Basketball an equal to football. Finally, Coach K, love him or hate him, has been the next phase of College Godfathers, whose teams have set the symbol that many of the current teams strive to be like.

These are definitely the teams that are most recognizable programs in the hostory of the sport.

I'd also include Indiana, Michigan, Syracuse as some of those teams over the years that have had an excellent history and for the past 30 years are always considered one of the better programs in college Basketball. Each have had their own issues over the past few years, but they have history behind them that allows them to continue to recruit at a high level.
:notworthy Phenomenal post Stardust. I agree 100%.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ :Thumbs: TY
I would say Duke, UNC, and UCLA. I hate Duke and hate Coach K, but he is the best coach in college basketball and is one of the best of all time.
Stardust Wrote:The most storied program is Kansas. Phogg Allen is the Godfather of college Basketball. Adolph Rupp played and was mentored by Phogg. Adolph took what he learned from Phogg and changed the face of Basketball forever by changing Basketball from an intramural sport where the football players stayed in shape, to a true recognized sport that challenged college football in popularity. John Wooded took the football dominate UCLA program and changed the schools recognition into a Basketball powerhouse. Dean Smith, a later student of Phogg Allenn, came into the sport towards the tail end of the Coach Rupp era in the 60's. Dean Smith did NC for the East Coast, what Adolph had did with UK in the south in making Basketball an equal to football. Finally, Coach K, love him or hate him, has been the next phase of College Godfathers, whose teams have set the symbol that many of the current teams strive to be like.

Awesome post...I learned alot in that lol...totally agree

I agree about coach K, im most def not a fan of his but right now now when someone says who is the best college basketball coach, coach K is the one that pops in everyones head....NOTICE i said "the best coach right now" im not talking about all time...just thought i would say that because i knew if i didnt someone would take that the wrong way and argue about it.

You never cease to further my education wise one. :worthy:
UK,UNC, KU, IU, dUKe, UCLA. IN not order except UK at number one.

One of the best basketball posts I have ever read.:Thumbs:
Other than UK, who has the best practice facility?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
ucla
Indiana would probably be high on some lists