Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WKU firing football coach
According to reports from WKYT and WBKO, WKU football Coach David Elson will not be retained after the 2009 football season.

Elson will reportedly coach the final 3 games of the 2009 season.

There will be a press conference to make it official at 2 PM today.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
How long had he been at WKU?
Stardust Wrote:How long had he been at WKU?

According to ESPN.com he has been there for 7 seasons.
I am not a fan of WKU. I believe that he is getting a raw deal, firing the man after the first season they move to D-1. His record is 39-41 including 0-9 this season, 2-19 last two seasons combined. Looks to me that he was doing a decent job before this transition to D-1.

On a side note: As an EKU grad, I have enjoyed watching Western go 0-9 this season, just wish it didn't cost a man his job.
Unfortunate. Saw reports that Memphis will fire Tommy West as well. Memphis I understand, but WKU officials should know that the transition doesn't happen overnight. Its going to take some time for them to catch up to the teams in their conference, not to mention compete nationally.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:Unfortunate. Saw reports that Memphis will fire Tommy West as well. Memphis I understand, but WKU officials should know that the transition doesn't happen overnight. Its going to take some time for them to catch up to the teams in their conference, not to mention compete nationally.

Good post. Before Western started their transition to D-1, Elson's record was 37-22.
I guess that Western thought they were going to dominate like Marshall did when they moved to D-1.
David Elson, WKU's head football coach, was fired today. He'll be allowed to coach out the rest of the season, but he's done after the season. Here's the link:

http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/2009.../elson.txt

Tough break for coach Elson. It'll be interesting to see who they pick up. It's a curious move since they are hosting the state finals there. They also have a home game on Thursday, December 3rd, the day before the finals are set to begin. I wonder if the firing will now sway potential players to attend WKU or if they need a new head coach in the next few weeks in order to get the recruits needed?
hate to hear it i never did like the idea of firing a coach during the season it kind of sucks the momentum out of the team IMO
hate to see any body lose a job does any body think he will end up any where or fall off the face of the earth where would he fit in
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:hate to hear it i never did like the idea of firing a coach during the season it kind of sucks the momentum out of the team IMO

I agree with you completely. I guess on the flip side though, when you are 0-9, there is not much momentum to suck out. I do agree, it's tough to can a coach before the season is over.

As for the recruiting, it might help. It's hard to convince a kid to come to a school that is 0-9. You have to feel as a recruit, you have a chance to come in for a new guy and start right away.
Merged Threads
Is any other schools going to be looking at him