Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike County Girls Championship
Dorton defeats Pikeville 33-30, one of the best girl's games I have ever watched in person. Pikeville barely missed a 3 pointer with only a couple of seconds left which would have sent the game into overtime.
Congrats to Dorton , both teams played a great game.
Great game both teams. Smallwood had a nice block w/8 seconds left but it set up Rachel Smith for the last shot to tie and it was close. This game was like a chess match. Pikeville made an 8 point run w/under 2 minutes left. Great game Lady Cats !
Congrats to Dorton on the county championship and a very good year. Dorton played a very good game tonight holding off a late run from Pikeville. Dorton once again showed that defense and team ball will win alot of games. This couldn't have happen to a more deserving group of girls that put in alot of hard work for this one. Just curious what their record for the year was maybe their coach can let us know when he puts up the stats. :Thumbs::Thumbs:
It was a great game. Neither team deserved to lose. Hats off to Coach Porter and his girls. They were ready to play and it could have easily went the other way. The atmosphere was electric in the gym. Coach Porter is one of the classiest guys I've ever dealt with. After the game you can't tell if he won or lost because he is the same either way. If I had to lose to any coach, it would have to be to him.

Stats:

For Dorton:

Courtney Wright 15 points, 4 steals, 2 assists, 2 rebounds
Taylor Rowe 10 points, 3 steals
Savannah Honaker 6 points, 5 rebounds
Abby Smallwood 2 points, 7 deflections
Mariah Newsom 5 assists, 2 rebounds

For Pikeville:

Rachel Smith 16 points
Rachel Potter 10 points
Stacie Gooch 2 points
Abby Stafford 2 points
2hard2guard Wrote:congrats to dorton on the county championship and a very good year. Dorton played a very good game tonight holding off a late run from pikeville. Dorton once again showed that defense and team ball will win alot of games. This couldn't have happen to a more deserving group of girls that put in alot of hard work for this one. Just curious what their record for the year was maybe their coach can let us know when he puts up the stats. :thumbs::thumbs:

37-5
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:It was a great game. Neither team deserved to lose. Hats off to Coach Porter and his girls. They were ready to play and it could have easily went the other way. The atmosphere was electric in the gym. Coach Porter is one of the classiest guys I've ever dealt with. After the game you can't tell if he won or lost because he is the same either way. If I had to lose to any coach, it would have to be to him.

Stats:

For Dorton:

Courtney Wright 15 points, 4 steals, 2 assists, 2 rebounds
Taylor Rowe 10 points, 3 steals
Savannah Honaker 6 points, 5 rebounds
Abby Smallwood 2 points, 7 deflections
Mariah Newsom 5 assists, 2 rebounds

For Pikeville:

Rachel Smith 16 points
Rachel Potter 10 points
Stacie Gooch 2 points
Abby Stafford 2 points

Congratulation to you Coach for all you've done. Class act yourself. And thank's to Bobby Wright for all he's done. Congrats Dorton it has been a blast this year.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:37-5

Thanks for the info and I also want to thank you as well as others for the hard work this year with these girls. I personally couldn't be more proud of them.:Thumbs:
alleycat53 Wrote:Congratulation to you Coach for all you've done. Class act yourself. And thank's to Bobby Wright for all he's done. Congrats Dorton it has been a blast this year.

Thanks for the kind words. The girls really stepped their game up tonight. I'm very proud of them. They did almost everything Bobby and I asked of them. I sure was glad to have Bobby on that bench with me tonight. He had some good ideas.
2hard2guard Wrote:Thanks for the info and I also want to thank you as well as others for the hard work this year with these girls. I personally couldn't be more proud of them.:Thumbs:

Thanks. I am so proud of them too. These girls are such good girls. They deserved for something good like this to happen to them.
Congrats to Dorton and Pikeville, This was probably one of the best girls games i've witnessed. Both teams played extremely hard.
First I want to congratulate The Lady Wildcats on their championship and a great season. From my experience they are a great group of young ladies. Also I want to thank Coach Davis for his kind words. I think he is a fantastic coach and person. Like he said if I have to lose I would rather it be to him.

I also want to say how proud I am of our team. We finished 26-6 I think, with some really good wins. My girls were such a joy to coach this year. My 8th graders were all with me for 3 years and are very special young women. Abby, Stacie, Rachel and Rachel will be greatly missed in the program.

The game was a great game, both teams left it on the floor. It was the hardest loss for me as a coach because my girls wanted it so bad and deserved it too. But only one team can win and they did what they needed to do to win.
Have to say this was one of the best played basketball games that I have seen, on any level. It is hard in any sport to make it to the championship game when you are favored(or supposed to) but for both Pikeville and Dorton both to make it and play each other so close was outstanding. Looks like both coaches had their teams ready to play, because it showed both teams left it all on the floor and came to win and it could have went either way. Thanks to both teams for a very good game. Congrats, to both teams on very good years and congrats to Dorton on a championship,:1: I personally will miss watching these girls from Dorton play but it has been a VERY GOOD YEAR!!!.
I heard this was a very well played game. A few people stepped up big, but Dorn done what it took to get the job done.
Also who was on all tourney team and who was mvp?
congrats coach... Both teams had alot of talent on the floor.. This is the most talent I have seen in girls basketball in a while
Congrats to both teams. Dorton good luck at state.
who made all tournament, and who was the mvp?
Nobody has mentioned it.
I think Wright, Rowe, Newsome and Smallwood from Dorton. Potter, Smith and Gooch from Pikeville. Harris and Handshoe from Mullins. Coleman from Virgie. Fuller from Feds Creek. Thats all I can remember off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure Feds Creek had another girl. There were 15 total. No MVP.

I also forgot to mention how good a job Coach Birchfield and Mullins did hosting the tournament. This is the second time I have coached in a county tournament that he has run and he always does a first class job. The new gym is very nice.
Dorton had Savannah Honaker on there, We should've had 5 but that's the way it goes. And yes it was a great tournament.