Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appalachian Wireless vs. Competition
TheRealVille Wrote:Appalachian Wireless
Our Nationwide plans not only allow you to call to or from anywhere in the U.S. without incurring roaming or long distance charges, but also allows UNLIMITED Nights & Weekend minutes, with some starting as early as 8 PM.
Price Per Month Anytime Minutes Night & Weekend Overage
$39.99 450 UNLIMITED $0.40
$59.99 800 UNLIMITED $0.40
$64.99 1200 UNLIMITED $0.40 Add 15.00/mth for Family Talk on plans.
$74.99 1750 UNLIMITED $0.40
$99.99 2500 UNLIMITED $0.40
$124.99* UNLIMITED UNLIMITED No Overages!
Free features include:
Call Waiting, Call Forwarding, 3 Way Calling, Caller ID, Voice Mail & Mobile-to-Mobile
- Digital Features may not be available in all areas.
- 8:00 PM - 6:00 AM Night & Weekend Minutes start on plans $59.99 and up.
-[B] Family Talk $15.00 per month and includes FREE Mobile to Mobile[/B].
- Long Distance/Roaming is included.
- International long distance charges may apply.
- 50% of calls must be within Appalachian Wireless 20 County Area.
- Airtime charges billed in full minute increments.
- Partial minutes round up to next full minute.
- *Add-A-Line feature not available for this plan. Unlimited Plans require the use of a CDMA phone.

ATT
FamilyTalk plans offer a range of cell phone plan options that let you share minutes and save. Use your minutes between two lines or add additional lines for one low price and enjoy:
• Unlimited calling on Nights and Weekends for all lines for most plans
• Unlimited calling to other AT&T wireless customers with Mobile to Mobile while in the U.S.
• No roaming or long distance charges in the U.S.
• Saving unused minutes with Rollover®

Shared Minutes Monthly Cost
(First 2 lines included) Cost for addl. lines Rollover®

700 (Max 5 lines) $69.99 9.99 Y
1400 (Max 5 lines) $89.99 9.99 Y
2100 (Max 5 lines) $109.99 9.99 Y
3000 (Max 5 lines) $149.99 9.99 Y
4000 (Max 5 lines) $199.99 9.99 Y
Unlimited (Max 5 lines) $199.99 99.99

Unlimited Mobile to Mobile and Unlimited Nights and Weekends on all plans.

Individual Plans
Att-
450 $39.99
900 $59.99
1350 $79.99
Unlimited 99.99

Applachian Wireless
Price Per Month Anytime Minutes Night & Weekend Overage
$39.99 450
$59.99 800
$64.99 1200
$74.99 1750
$99.99 2500
$124.99 UNLIMITED
Thanks for your input. We are looking at things as we speak so don't be surprised to see some changes made in the near future.
BCF4L Wrote:Thanks for your input. We are looking at things as we speak so don't be surprised to see some changes made in the near future.
I hope so. I would love to use AW if they get comparable to ATT. I started with ATT mainly because I travel a lot and wanted a service I could go to locally if something happened to my phone.
TheRealVille Wrote:I hope so. I would love to use AW if they get comparable to ATT. I started with ATT mainly because I travel a lot and wanted a service I could go to locally if something happened to my phone.
Just to clear things up, the 50% rule is really not enforced that heavily. It is pretty much based on a 3-6 month term. Basically, we don't want customers moving to California and keeping our network because it becomes more expensive for us to keep that customer. If you go on vacation for 2 months, then nothing will be said or done. Also, we have customers whose kids are going to college in Lexington that have our phones, but because the parents live in Eastern Kentucky, the minutes basically even themselves out. So again, it's really something that is not heavily enforced.
How long will the hero be 79.99 and when are the data rates going down i really want this phone but without internet on it i dont think that it would be a good phone.
I switched from AW to Verizon about a year ago. The internet was cheaper, the package was cheaper, and the cost for extra phones on the same plan was cheaper. I encounter a few more deap spots but it's all about the money. Also, Verizon had a wider variety of phones available.
ryan.johnson Wrote:How long will the hero be 79.99 and when are the data rates going down i really want this phone but without internet on it i dont think that it would be a good phone.
The Hero will be $79.99 for the remainder of the year and data rates are currently being discussed but no timetable on when or if they will be changed. I expect them to be changed, but as to when is anyones guess.
What exactly is the insurance for? you pay a 7$ insurance fee for 17 months and then still have to pay 50$ for a crappy replacement phone.
I just switched 2 phones over to AT&T today.

For the last few years I have used a Blackberry. The 8330 when it came out became my favorite. I have well over 30k text a month and the 8330 is BY FAR the best phone I have ever used for texting. I do not use the blackberry for all its features, I dont get on the internet or anything like that. To me its a phone and text. My wife is the exact same way.

Now im pretty rough on phones. Xbox and internet poker makes my phone fly through the air pretty regularly. In the past I have always just bought a new 8330 and took it to App Wireless and they entered the ESN# and switched it over, no problem. This last time I took it up there and they tell me they cant switch my phone over to the new one unless I agree to hook up the media package. I describe how I dont use it, dont want it, and dont need it. I just want this particular phone for texting. No go. I go back again to talk to someone else. No go, same story.

I dont understand why I HAVE to have a media package all of a sudden? I didnt in the past, it was working fine without it. My wifes works fine. Up until I busted my current 8330 everything was peachy. So AW wants an extra 60 bucks out of us a month for media packages when we in no way use it. Simply because we have a phone that could use the media package.

I was so upset we drove across town to AT&T. We got 2 new iphones for $50 with media packages (the bill is exactly the same as ours was at AW without it) and got to keep our AW numbers. I was so happy to hear that. So AW wanted to make an extra 60 bucks a month from us. They instead lost 160 bucks a month. Yeah we have to pay $125 to buy out the contracts, but thats less than one month they would of got. Its so sad too, I absolutely loved the service with AW. Ive heard so many bad things about ATT's service, but I was to mad to think logically today. So far no problems and the iphones are the nuts.
I've never had any kind of problem with the AT&T service. And as far as the signal goes I have signal where aw don't. And aw has signal where I dont. So it all depends on where u are
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Well, I use AT&T because I don't live back home in Pike Co., but when I am home, I get service almost everywhere, even at my house where just a year ago I couldn't get even one bar. I've had nothing but bad experiences with AW, but if they somehow got the iPhone after I get out of the military, I may think about using them. The thing with me though, I hate how AW will charge you for the stupidest things ever that AT&T just includes in the overall bill. It's around the same price, but there is no reason to have to pay separately for internet capability and call waiting or whatever else AW separates like that.

I'm just loyal to AT&T, lol.
For any smartphone AW requires you to buy a data plan.
I use to have AW, but I ran into several problems with the phone I bought and had to use a loaner from the stone age it seemed like forever. Then when I got the actual phone I purchased back it still gave me nothing but trouble, and I couldnt get any help as to getting a phone that was decent without having to pay for a whole new one. I have AT&T now. I get enough signal just about anywhere to send a text msg and thats really all I need. I also havent had any problems with my new phone what so ever and I dont pay much more than I was at AW.

AW was good though and I liked it. It was just aggrevating paying for a phone every month that never worked and not getting any help to fix it.
I always felt like I got a not my problem type attitude from them.
csabo17 Wrote:I always felt like I got a not my problem type attitude from them.

yep
EDIT: Didn't realize this was the same thread I posted in some time ago.
Cheaper packages & iPhones are what AW needs to rule the planet. The coverage & signal can't be beat in E KY.
csabo17 Wrote:I always felt like I got a not my problem type attitude from them.

EXACTLY!!! Couldn't have said it better myself!
I love cell phones and anything that has to do with them (especially their networks)

I can say that Appalachian was the first to have 3G here, I give them so many kudos for investing in our area that others most likely wouldn't have unless competition came.

**BUT**

I have had Verizon, I got my contracted terminated early and the costs waived because I was roaming off of Appalachian 100% of the time and I told them I was being misled into having 3G (because they told me I would have 3G in this area Pikeville, and I didn't)

So I had a choice to go with AW, Sprint, or AT&T. Both AW and Sprint have 3G in Pikeville, I was dead set on Appalachian until these 2 factors changed my mind:

1.) You don't get 3G coverage anywhere in the nation but here, I know the typical argument is that you're home 99% of the time, that is true... but when I am away from here I like to use my phone for directions, restaurants, all that stuff and it's impossible on an extended 1x 2G network roaming off of Verizon

2.) Choice of phones, I wanted the Droid X (which is what I had on Verizon, which would be named Milestone X on AW) and I was told forever by AW that the Milestone X would be available in March, it's March 30th and no Milestone X

Reasons I did not choose Sprint:

1.) The 50/50 Fair usage policy, I stay in Pikeville all day for work and school but when I go home I would be roaming off of Appalachian

2.) They have no "microcell" type device for me to get signal at home

About the 3G issue, AT&T WILL have 3G here by the middle of April if not sooner, and it is HSPA which is probably 2x as fast as AW's data speeds. AT&T may not have the best coverage, but it does have the fastest data (3G wise, Verizon owns with 4G LTE).

Why I chose AT&T and what I came out with:

1.) I got an AWESOME phone for a fair price, Motorola Atrix 4G w/ dual core processors which is faster and neater than my old Droid X with Verizon

2.) 3G Microcell, Full blast signal in my house with perfect quality calls

3.) 3 Phones, unlimited text, 2 gb data on atrix, unlimited data on 2 other non-smart phones, 1400 minutes a month w/ roll over and 10 "a-list" numbers in which I talk unlimited all for $185 a month tax included, not a bad deal at all and the microcell was free.

4.) 15% Employee Discount, AW told me they offset this by raising a certain tax but I can tell you that this is not true. It deducts it from the rate plan, so if your plan is $80 a month, it shows $65 on the bill and the taxes stay the same.

AW is a great company and I think highly of them, but the market won me over... a better deal is a better deal
I use AT&T... It's a go phone, mainly use it for texting.. I pay 50 bux a month for unlimited talk and text.. can't beat it. I don't get the best service at the house, but usually all I have to do is take a few steps here or there and the txt is sent.

I've been looking into getting something from Verizon.
CandyKane Wrote:I use to have AW, but I ran into several problems with the phone I bought and had to use a loaner from the stone age it seemed like forever. Then when I got the actual phone I purchased back it still gave me nothing but trouble, and I couldnt get any help as to getting a phone that was decent without having to pay for a whole new one. I have AT&T now. I get enough signal just about anywhere to send a text msg and thats really all I need. I also havent had any problems with my new phone what so ever and I dont pay much more than I was at AW.

AW was good though and I liked it. It was just aggrevating paying for a phone every month that never worked and not getting any help to fix it.

Know where you are coming from man! I bought the Milestone X from them, and had some software issues after doing a factory reset. Took the phone back to them, they said it would be two weeks to get it back and gave me a stone age flip for a loaner. Two weeks goes by, and now they are saying it could take EIGHT. Ridiculous. I even offered to pay another $50 and start over. No deal. Verizon will replace your phone same day or FedEx you one overnight. And folks wonder why some people travel to Knoxville or Kingsport to do their shopping.
Its to bad coverage doesnt make up for customer service and up to date phones.
My wife works for the health dept here in Floyd co..She travels all over the county and travels in the southern end of the county a lot.(Wheelwright,Weeksberry,Melvin,Mudcreek,etc). Appalachian has gotten better signal for us..Several of her co-workers who have other carriers cant get signal where she does...I dont carry a cell anymore(the older I get the more I want to be left aloneConfusednickerSmile but my wife has to have one...