Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
North Carolina Tar Heels
9.80%
Kentucky Wildcats
90.20%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(11) North Carolina @ (4) Kentucky 12/5
leecoukfan Wrote:I hope that the Wildcats can work out most of their imperfections against UNC-Asheville because they're gonna need to play an excellent low tunover game in order to have a chance at winning this game! This will be their first time playing a Final Four caliber team and its going to be extremely tough!

Probable Starters for the TarHeels:
G Larry Drew II 6'2'' 180 So
G/F Marcus Ginyard 6'5'' 210 Sr
F/G Will Graves 6'6'' 240 Jr
F Ed Davis 6'10'' 225 So
F Deon Thompson 6'9'' 245 Sr

North Carolina is a big and talented team just like the Wildcats! The two big men for the Tar Heels are both averaging nearly a double-double so Patterson and Cousins are gonna have their hands full on offense and defense! The Depth of the Tar Heels is just as good if not better than UK, they normally use a 10-11 man rotation so they're going to be able to keep their starters fresh and still produce! Tyler Zeller is their top scoring bench player and he is also a big man at 7'0'' 240 averaging 11.2pts and 3.8rebs per game. So it will be fun to see how each team does down low in the paint on both ends of the floor! Marcus Ginyard is the heart and soul and also the senior leader of this team as well i think this will be a mismatch considering that Darius Miller will most likely guarding him. John Wall and Larry Drew should be a great matchup because they're both assist machines, Wall averaging 5.5 per game an Drew averaging 6.2 per game, Wall is faster and more athletic but it will be another good matchup in this game! Can't wait for this one to come around! Go Cats!!

Right now, since its a home game for the Wildcats im going to say that they'll win this one by 2 points in DOUBLE OVERTIME!!

I will agree with you on that they are big..But thy are very soft. THompson and Davis have gotten pushed around every game. Cousins and PPatt will push them around all day.
1,995 and climbing!!!!
Two keys, the cats must play better defense and cut down on turnovers
They are going to have to play a whole lot better. Can't give up so many fouls, and turnovers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
After watching UNC last night:

UNC 76
UK 70

Hope I am wrong.
pburgcatfan65 Wrote:I will agree with you on that they are big..But thy are very soft. THompson and Davis have gotten pushed around every game. Cousins and PPatt will push them around all day.

Yeah, hopefully they will, but we also got watch out for there guards because thats what lead them by (9)Michigan State!
North Carolina looked very good last night against Michigan State. They have a big front line with Thompson, Davis, Zeller, and Henson. I think UK's frontcourt is better though with Patterson, Cousins, Orton, Stevenson, and Harrellson. I think UK can throw enough bodies in the paint to wear down the Tar Heel interior. The guards of UNC is what is going to have to beat Kentucky. I like UK in that aspect as well with Wall, Bledsoe, and the long wing players (Miller, Dodson, Harris, and Hood).

Where North Carolina does have the advantage at is the man on the sidelines. To me, Roy Williams is the best college coach in the game right now and he will have his team ready against this young Kentucky team. Last night's game against Michigan State was at the Dean Smith Center, this game against UK is not. I still think the game being at Rupp, Coach Cal will have the troops fired up and ready to play.

UK - 71
UNC - 64

Go Wildcats!
Cant decide a winner. Neither team will win by more than 10, mark it down.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:North Carolina looked very good last night against Michigan State. They have a big front line with Thompson, Davis, Zeller, and Henson. I think UK's frontcourt is better though with Patterson, Cousins, Orton, Stevenson, and Harrellson. I think UK can throw enough bodies in the paint to wear down the Tar Heel interior. The guards of UNC is what is going to have to beat Kentucky. I like UK in that aspect as well with Wall, Bledsoe, and the long wing players (Miller, Dodson, Harris, and Hood).

Where North Carolina does have the advantage at is the man on the sidelines. To me, Roy Williams is the best college coach in the game right now and he will have his team ready against this young Kentucky team. Last night's game against Michigan State was at the Dean Smith Center, this game against UK is not. I still think the game being at Rupp, Coach Cal will have the troops fired up and ready to play.

UK - 71
UNC - 64

Go Wildcats!
Really? I think he just landed in a good thing at UNC. He always had great teams at Kansas and those great teams always choked in the tourney. Cost me a lot of brackets. Then he comes to UNC and takes over a team that Daughtery recruited and wins much like Tubby did here. But he did win one all by himself last year.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Really? I think he just landed in a good thing at UNC. He always had great teams at Kansas and those great teams always choked in the tourney. Cost me a lot of brackets. Then he comes to UNC and takes over a team that Daughtery recruited and wins much like Tubby did here. But he did win one all by himself last year.

Yeah, you're exactly right! I don't think UNC gave Daughtery enough time, if they had given him one more year he would still be there right now!
Will be interesting to see if Wall's play against a very good offense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Amun-Ra Wrote:Really? I think he just landed in a good thing at UNC. He always had great teams at Kansas and those great teams always choked in the tourney. Cost me a lot of brackets. Then he comes to UNC and takes over a team that Daughtery recruited and wins much like Tubby did here. But he did win one all by himself last year.

I agree that Daugherty's recruits won the 2005 title, but Daugherty had little success when you're talking UNC standards with those great recruits. Williams came in and won the title with that team in year one. I don't think you can compare this to Pitino/Smith situation because Pitino won a title and was a runner-up in his last two years at Kentucky. Daugherty did nothing like that with those great players going 7-19, 19-16, and 19-11 in his last three years and Roy Williams got that '05 Tar Heel team together and won the championship.

I understand what you're saying but I just think you're comparing completely different situations in your argument.
I also want to point out that is was too different systems. To get a team to learn a new system like Tubby had them do is really good also.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

after watching the tar heels dismantle the spartans i have rethought my decision i am still yaking UK but by 1 in overtime
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think the Cats somehow will work their magic and pull out the win,86-81.
GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
uk by 6
Uk-78
unc-65

go wildcats!!!!
Remember the Heels were at home. How will their young team react to what should be a rabid Rupp atmosphere? Drew will be a key IMO. If he shoots like he did against MSU, the Heels have a good chance. If he does not, then the 'Cats take it.
man you crack me up cant wait to them cats get ahold of them cards...we'll wear them out
For those that say UK is overrated... of course they are. For a team that was in the NIT last year to be rated #4 at this point in the season is silly. Do I think they will be one of the best four teams in the nation come March? You betcha I do, but they are nowhere near the #4 team right now. I would put them somewhere #20-25 to be honest.

Now, as for the game. While I said I thought UK was overrated, I think UNC is too. After watching them play a few games so far, I would rank them somewhere in the low teens. It really should be a pretty even matchup. As good as Patterson and Cousins are, the Heels do have the advantage inside. Thompson and Davis are every bit as good as UK's inside duo, plus Tyler Zeller coming off the bench is better at this stage than Orton. So UNC gets the nod here, and the difference will be even more pronounced if Cousins gets in early foul trouble. I'm not sure UK can win if he spends half the game sitting next to Coach Cal.

However, we have a decided advantage in the backcourt. Wall, Bledsoe, and Miller are definitely better than UNC's Drew, Graves, and Ginyard, and that's not even considering Dodson coming off the bench. Personally, I think Wall will have a field day.

Even though I have that nagging feeling that UK will lose this game based on how they've looked so far, on paper we are still the more talented team. I'm going to say that John Wall, and a jacked-up home crowd, will carry us to the victory.

UK 83, UNC 80.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i believe the only reason Carolina beat State, was because Carolina has a big Man, State Don't. or at least thats what i was told. don't pay much attention to Carolina or State.
Strikeout King Wrote:i believe the only reason Carolina beat State, was because Carolina has a big Man, State Don't. or at least thats what i was told. don't pay much attention to Carolina or State.

MSU played horrible defense and allowed UNC to get easy baskets in transition. It wasn't MSU's inside game that kept UNC swiping the guard entry passes.
More Cowbell Wrote:For those that say UK is overrated... of course they are. For a team that was in the NIT last year to be rated #4 at this point in the season is silly. Do I think they will be one of the best four teams in the nation come March? You betcha I do, but they are nowhere near the #4 team right now. I would put them somewhere #20-25 to be honest.

Now, as for the game. While I said I thought UK was overrated, I think UNC is too. After watching them play a few games so far, I would rank them somewhere in the low teens. It really should be a pretty even matchup. As good as Patterson and Cousins are, the Heels do have the advantage inside. Thompson and Davis are every bit as good as UK's inside duo, plus Tyler Zeller coming off the bench is better at this stage than Orton. So UNC gets the nod here, and the difference will be even more pronounced if Cousins gets in early foul trouble. I'm not sure UK can win if he spends half the game sitting next to Coach Cal.

However, we have a decided advantage in the backcourt. Wall, Bledsoe, and Miller are definitely better than UNC's Drew, Graves, and Ginyard, and that's not even considering Dodson coming off the bench. Personally, I think Wall will have a field day.
Even though I have that nagging feeling that UK will lose this game based on how they've looked so far, on paper we are still the more talented team. I'm going to say that John Wall, and a jacked-up home crowd, will carry us to the victory.

UK 83, UNC 80.

To me, Miller would be #6 on this list. Hands down, Wall is the most talented and we now get to see how he performs in a big game. Bledsoe is going to be great, but I won't put him ahead of Drew and Ginyard. I've got to give the backcourt edge to UNC. Based on talent, I do like Wall and Bledsoe, but you have to factor the maturity and the experience, especially based on schedules, UNC IMO has the edge.
UK wins because of two things:

1) Cousins staying out of foul trouble
2) Rupp Arena
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Uk by 12.
Strikeout King Wrote:i believe the only reason Carolina beat State, was because Carolina has a big Man, State Don't. or at least thats what i was told. don't pay much attention to Carolina or State.
No they got beat because Izzo wouldnt go to a zone. He loves his man- to - man, but MSU couldnt match up against UNC. Syracuse used a zone and it tore up UNC.

I have a feeling UK will use man all game and it will be a tough one for us.
i really think they are evenly matched but i've seen PP play and he is one the best in the nation easy. cousins isn't there yet especially on defense but i definitely dont see UNC having a advantage down low or up top. only place i seen them having an advantage is at the 3 spot. the way UK wins is pushing the ball with control and FREE THROWS!!!
I really think this is going to be the Patterson, and Wall show. I really think UK will come out strong.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

The eruption zone is going to be crazy good today. UK will win because of the emotion displayed by the students. Wall is going to feed off that from the very beginning, taking it to this team UNC team, and then taking it to them some more after that.
PC_You_Know Wrote:The eruption zone is going to be crazy good today. UK will win because of the emotion displayed by the students. Wall is going to feed off that from the very beginning, taking it to this team UNC team, and then taking it to them some more after that.

I agree, The crowd will be a huge factor in this game.