• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was Johnson Central the 2nd Best Team in 5A?
Many of you all have debated in the highlands-John Hardin thread that JCHS was the best team highlands played all year, so lets just talk it up in here, and let that thread discuss championship game.TongueirateSho
Since Highlands hasn't yet played John Hardin shouldn't we wait until that plays out before we make an assumption? After all, John Hardin is undefeated and could play Highlands a better game than Johnson Central......
Well Not according too some people in the other thread im just letting them talk it up here wrether than cloud the championship thread.. I really dont have an opinion on there assumptions.
IMO, i think that Johnson Central was the 4th best team in 5A:
1.Highlands
2.John Hardin
3.Bowling Green
4.Johnson Central
Pride and Football Wrote:Many of you all have debated in the highlands-John Hardin thread that JCHS was the best team highlands played all year, so lets just talk it up in here, and let that thread discuss championship game.TongueirateSho

St. X was head and shoulders better than JC. If you are talking just 5A, than JC might be the best team. Will have to wait to see what JH has.
leecoukfan Wrote:IMO, i think that Johnson Central was the 4th best team in 5A:
1.Highlands
2.John Hardin
3.Bowling Green
4.Johnson Central

I agree. These ratings are on target.
Not even close they just ran an offense that works great against NKY teams. Personally I thought CovCath was better than JC they just could'nt stop the Bone.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Not even close they just ran an offense that works great against NKY teams. Personally I thought CovCath was better than JC they just could'nt stop the Bone.

Not even close.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Not even close they just ran an offense that works great against NKY teams. Personally I thought CovCath was better than JC they just could'nt stop the Bone.

Do you mean works pretty well until they get behind. People keep talking about JC hanging 21 on the Birds keeping the game close. With 13 seconds to go in the game the score was 42 - 14.

I hope the teams like JC continue to think that their type of offense works great against NKY teams.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Do you mean works pretty well until they get behind. People keep talking about JC hanging 21 on the Birds keeping the game close. With 13 seconds to go in the game the score was 42 - 14.

I hope the teams like JC continue to think that their type of offense works great against NKY teams.

Do you honestly think JC had near as much talent as highlands.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Do you mean works pretty well until they get behind. People keep talking about JC hanging 21 on the Birds keeping the game close. With 13 seconds to go in the game the score was 42 - 14.

I'm with you. I've never understood the mentality of, "Well, we played them closer." or "We hung 21 points on them." :HitWall:

What does that matter? :ChairHit:
I agree Hatz. If that was the case then Christian County was about twice as good as Johnson Central. With Boyle as a common opponent.
leecoukfan Wrote:IMO, i think that Johnson Central was the 4th best team in 5A:
1.Highlands
2.John Hardin
3.Bowling Green
4.Johnson Central
IMO I think they were the 6th best team in 5A:

1. Highlands
2. John Hardin
3. Bowling Green
4. Christian County
5. Anderson County
6. Johnson Central
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Do you honestly think JC had near as much talent as highlands.

Absolutely NOT. I don't know what made you think that. Without an accidental pass interference JC only scores 7 in the first half and a little defensive change at half time completely shut JC down.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Absolutely NOT. I don't know what made you think that. Without an accidental pass interference JC only scores 7 in the first half and a little defensive change at half time completely shut JC down.

First off, I dont think anybody has remotely even insinuated said that they were overall as talented.

What makes you so sure that JC would not have scored without the pass interference call to begin with? Unless that was a forth down play, which I honestly cant remember if it was or not. At that time JC was moving the ball at will. Odds are that they would have scored regardless, unless, like I said , it was a fourth down situation.
64black&gold Wrote:I agree Hatz. If that was the case then Christian County was about twice as good as Johnson Central. With Boyle as a common opponent.
Not saying that Christian was or they were not, but, that's not a real good way of trying to make a comparison based on that. Boyle played JC in the first game of the season. JC was nowhere near that type of team at the end of the season as they were in that game. There was definately very obvious "out of sync" problems for JC the first few games of the year in many facets, and that is what many folks only want to remember. It was very close to being a disasterous situation for the team. Obviously, they did get those problems fixed.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:First off, I dont think anybody has remotely even insinuated said that they were overall as talented.

What makes you so sure that JC would not have scored without the pass interference call to begin with? Unless that was a forth down play, which I honestly cant remember if it was or not. At that time JC was moving the ball at will. Odds are that they would have scored regardless, unless, like I said , it was a fourth down situation.

I think it was third and long. I think.
tradition Wrote:I think it was third and long. I think.

It was third and more than 10 around mid-field. Moving at will? That is what the Birds did. Highlands always plays bend but don't break. JC would move the ball well for a while, and all of a sudden it was 3rd and 14.

The interference call was a GOOD call. However, without it JC would have had a grand total of 7 points for the game until the last 12 seconds.

I know you will want to deduct the fumbles if JC. That is hard to do, because the offense they run lends itself to a couple of fumbles a game. The overall success of an offense like JC's, is based on the ability of it's defense to overcome the occasional turnover. Against Highlands, they had no chance.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Absolutely NOT. I don't know what made you think that. Without an accidental pass interference JC only scores 7 in the first half and a little defensive change at half time completely shut JC down.

No, you completely missed his point. He's saying personel is THE biggest difference-maker for Highlands. And to a certain extent, I agree.

HHS gets way more than its fair share of football talent in the southern Cincy metro area, much like X and T does in Louisville. I'm NOT speaking about any "right or wrong" in that, but simply it is what it is.

The thing I would point out, however... If Central had not consistantly messed itself up in year's past, the Eagles could very well have been in a position today much like Highlands currently enjoys.

But to the GOOD.... I am so glad the "messing itself up" appear to be over. Central's early season recovery this year will go a looong way in establishing the character of its program. I look forward to the coming years for Johnson Central...

:Clap:
Quite possibly, if they didnt have to play highlands in playoffs until state every year, i think they'd go.
oneijoe Wrote:HHS gets way more than its fair share of football talent in the southern Cincy metro area, much like X and T does in Louisville. I'm NOT speaking about any "right or wrong" in that, but simply it is what it is.

Who would that be on this team?

Spoken like a true paintsville fan! I thought when you beat a team you were better than they were.

The main difference in JC and Highlands is Highlands numbers and two platoon system. They wore JC down. If John Hardin and Bowling Green run a two platoon system they might beat JC. Not seeing these teams play I can not give a good account. It is not so much talent between these teams as it is numbers and giving players a rest.
Blau Vogel Wrote:It was third and more than 10 around mid-field. Moving at will? That is what the Birds did. Highlands always plays bend but don't break. JC would move the ball well for a while, and all of a sudden it was 3rd and 14.

The interference call was a GOOD call. However, without it JC would have had a grand total of 7 points for the game until the last 12 seconds.

I know you will want to deduct the fumbles if JC. That is hard to do, because the offense they run lends itself to a couple of fumbles a game. The overall success of an offense like JC's, is based on the ability of it's defense to overcome the occasional turnover. Against Highlands, they had no chance.

Oh, so you want to deduct the fumbles and not count the penalties huh?:biggrin:

Exactly how many times did Highlands score in the second half when they didn't gain possession from JC (for various reasons) inside the JC 26 yard line? That was zero, wasn't it? That's the whole entire 2nd half now. Isn't that right? And they far from "played bend but dont break" in the first half. That just did not happen at all. Name one time when JC was moving the ball, that they held them scoreless. That just didn't happen. I would say that there were more than a few stunned birds going into the locker room at the half. Say whatever you want, but I'm 100% right on that. I will more tend to agree with you concerning the 2nd half however. But you cant make any of those claims regarding the 1st half. Bad as that may hurt some of ya'lls egos.

And yeah, I would think that moving at will in the first half is a pretty good assessment. Moving at will does not necessarily mean you have to throw the ball for 30 yards a clip, does it? Or breaking one for 60, as Collinsworth did? Yes, I would consider that as all moving at will, but I would also say that 5-10yards a clip on the ground qualifies as being that just as well.

How many times did JC punt the ball in the first half and how many times did they turn it over on downs? Right off, I cant remember but maybe one punt and I dont think they had an 4 down turnovers. Correct me in need be. Heck, I dont know, maybe they didn't even have to punt either. I cant remember.

I will totally agree with you that it is extremely hard to overcome being in a deep hole with our offense. Even Matney acknowledges that.
oneijoe Wrote:HHS gets way more than its fair share of football talent in the southern Cincy metro area, much like X and T does in Louisville. I'm NOT speaking about any "right or wrong" in that, but simply it is what it is.

:Clap:

You are so far off base with this comment that it almost doesn't warrant a response. But its the occasional poster like you that keeps repeating this fallacy that tends to perpetuate the myth. Please get your facts straight before you malign an entire program. I.e., don't let your jealousy get the better of you.
Ok. we're giving JC way too much credit. Yes, they drove seemingly at will on their first series and subsequently scored, but after that they were done except for a 2nd qtr drive that almost stalled if it were not for a pass interference call. The entire 2nd half was dominated by Highlands. The only reason Highlands fans call them the best team we've faced is b/c that was the first 5a team that actually drove the ball on our defense. It was a shocker. With that said, they had two decent drives which doesn't equate to being the 2nd best team in 5a. I'll give them the "best drive of the year on Highlands" but if they're the 2nd best in state, Highlands best move up to 6a if they want to have competitive games in the future. Remember the score, 42-?.
I looked back, the pass interference was on 4th and 13. JH turned the ball over in their territory after an attempted fake punt. I think that was on their 2nd possession.
[quote=Blau Vogel]Do you mean works pretty well until they get behind. People keep talking about JC hanging 21 on the Birds keeping the game close. With 13 seconds to go in the game the score was 42 - 14.

I hope the teams like JC continue to think that their type of offense works great against NKY teams.[/QUOTE]

It has worked more than incredibly well. There has only been one team come out of northern Kentucky every year that has been able to beat JC. Name me one game other than the semi state game in '06 and the regional final games against Highlands in '08 and '09, where anybody was even close to competeing with JC out of northern Kentucky. You cant do it because , because there were none. Every other game that was played between JC and every other northern Kentucky team in the playoffs, were all blowouts in Johnson Central's favor. Isn't that right? Check the KHSAA scoreboards if you think I'm wrong. And in both of of those occasions, and more than likely this year those teams ended up being the state champs. Lets, not be foolish here, the only chance JC or any other team had to compete with Highlands this year is to control the clock and limit their turnovers. The only flaw with our offense is the "digging yourself out of a hole" factor. One of these days, there aint gonna be one of those teams coming from out of there.

I'll play the big "if" game here. You've heard of that game,havent you? If Blake Johnson had not have gone down early in the 2nd half against CovCath, Johnson Central more than likely would have been the 2006 state champs. Their offense worked very well in that game. But there is the old "if" factor that goes with that one. Oh, well.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Ok. we're giving JC way too much credit. Yes, they drove seemingly at will on their first series and subsequently scored, but after that they were done except for a 2nd qtr drive that almost stalled if it were not for a pass interference call. The entire 2nd half was dominated by Highlands. The only reason Highlands fans call them the best team we've faced is b/c that was the first 5a team that actually drove the ball on our defense. It was a shocker. With that said, they had two decent drives which doesn't equate to being the 2nd best team in 5a. I'll give them the "best drive of the year on Highlands" but if they're the 2nd best in state, Highlands best move up to 6a if they want to have competitive games in the future. Remember the score, 42-?.

Who else has been able to do that in 5A? Doesn't look like anybody has so far,does it? Perhaps JH will fare better. We'll all see.

Who is better in 5A then? I'm just asking, because like I said, I have not seen them all.

And as far as moving up to 6A, probably could have with little problems this year. Right?

We all remember the score. That has nothing to do with the conversation. This thread is not about, who is close to Highlands. It about who is the best of the rest in 5A. Isn't that right?

There is no point in any of you Highlands folks getting so defensive, nobody is arguing the obvious.
Blau Vogel Wrote:I looked back, the pass interference was on 4th and 13. JH turned the ball over in their territory after an attempted fake punt. I think that was on their 2nd possession.

Thanks. Like I said I was not completely sure about either of those. But I'm right on all the other statements, correct?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:[quote=Blau Vogel]There has only been one team come out of northern Kentucky every year that has been able to beat JC. Name me one game other than the semi state game in '06 and the regional final games against Highlands in '08 and '09, where anybody was even close to competeing with JC out of northern Kentucky.

What NKy teams (other than HHS and CovCath) has JC played? The only other NKy team that I could imagine is Holmes and that had to be in the 1st round.
  • 1(current)
  • Next