Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Thomas
Your Thoughts
I heard Pikeville fans chanting his name at the P-burg game. What's the deal?
I heard that too
Many people at Pikeville don't like him and when you chant his name it REALLY gets to him....that's why I got thrown out of a game earlier in the season....

But he is coming around to me....I must admit that he is a great person but I just don't see a lot of the ways that he does concerning basketball.

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:07 pm:

But arn't we all just a coach in the stands....so I've layed off a little on him
I say pour it on him....Thomas is a ridiculous coach....I and if i remember correctly, you did to beef, questioned the calls he mad in the playoffs last year........he IMO is a horrible excuse for a basketball coach...I say get him otta there and get some one in there that knows what they are doing.....
Well....for all the haters out there word is that he is gone after this year and replaced with rodeny rowe.....but thats just the word on the street right now.....

I'll be gone though so it wont matter to me Big Grin
"panthermania" Wrote:I say pour it on him....Thomas is a ridiculous coach....I and if i remember correctly, you did to beef, questioned the calls he mad in the playoffs last year........he IMO is a horrible excuse for a basketball coach...I say get him otta there and get some one in there that knows what they are doing.....
OK pm, dislike for Thomas aside, he is quite knowledgeable about the game of basketball. He has been a coach for a long time, and has played the game at both the high school and college levels. He is a good basketball coach, his style just doesn't work at Pikeville.

I do agree with you that he should probably move on and let someone else take over. I played for Coach Thomas for 4 years, and it wasn't the greatest experience in the world believe me. Believe it or not, he found a way to take away every single bit of fun and enjoyment I got from playing basketball. If Pikeville wants to become a top level basketball program, a change needs to be made.
I think Coach Thomas would be a very good coach if he had more control of his team. It seems as if they are telling him what to do more often than him telling them what to do.
"Farva" Wrote:
"panthermania" Wrote:I say pour it on him....Thomas is a ridiculous coach....I and if i remember correctly, you did to beef, questioned the calls he mad in the playoffs last year........he IMO is a horrible excuse for a basketball coach...I say get him otta there and get some one in there that knows what they are doing.....
OK pm, dislike for Thomas aside, he is quite knowledgeable about the game of basketball. He has been a coach for a long time, and has played the game at both the high school and college levels. He is a good basketball coach, his style just doesn't work at Pikeville.

I do agree with you that he should probably move on and let someone else take over. I played for Coach Thomas for 4 years, and it wasn't the greatest experience in the world believe me. Believe it or not, he found a way to take away every single bit of fun and enjoyment I got from playing basketball. If Pikeville wants to become a top level basketball program, a change needs to be made.

I agree
I think Thomas is a joke...they should let Bart take over....and if he thinks the students are bad now...wait until district tourny starts...
"phsplyr17" Wrote:I think Thomas is a joke...they should let Bart take over....and if he thinks the students are bad now...wait until district tourny starts...
8)
Choach Thomas may have been a decent player in high school and college but not all players are made out to be coaches. Farva what the shit is that he is quite knowledgeable about the game of basketball
he is not knowledgeable. If he was he wouldnt kick his best players out of practice and he would find a way to make his team come together.
"Daddy" Wrote:Choach Thomas may have been a decent player in high school and college but not all players are made out to be coaches. Farva what the is that he is quite knowledgeable about the game of basketball
he is not knowledgeable. If he was he wouldnt kick his best players out of practice and he would find a way to make his team come together.
I'm not particularly fond of him either, but I think after playing for him for 4 years I have a pretty good understanding of who he is. He IS knowledgeable about basketball, he knows plenty about strategy and tactics, and how to teach. I think he is a good coach, I just don't think he is the right coach for Pikeville High School. I've been there when he has kicked people out of practice and I'll have to say that they deserved what they got, and that any other coach would've done the same.
I don't know much about Coach Thomas, but judging from seeing Pikeville play in the Coca-Cola Classic at Pike Central, Coach Thomas's strategy was give the ball to Jess so he can shoot it. And Walls and the young skinny boy from the bench got to jack up a few 3's....it seemed to me that Shurtleff was just down there to clean up the Bricks that were bein thrown up. He does a pretty good job of rebounding for his height--what is he?? about 5'10" or 5'11"?
Coach Thomas.....HMMMM where do i start....not exactly the most loved man in Pikeville high school.......yet he is highly disliked for his corruption of our basketball teams potentila we culd be playing at a much higher level yet i think that hes the anchor kepping us from that
"Farva" Wrote:I'm not particularly fond of him either, but I think after playing for him for 4 years I have a pretty good understanding of who he is. He IS knowledgeable about basketball, he knows plenty about strategy and tactics, and how to teach. I think he is a good coach, I just don't think he is the right coach for Pikeville High School. I've been there when he has kicked people out of practice and I'll have to say that they deserved what they got, and that any other coach would've done the same.

It really shows that he knows how to teach!!! NOT. He has no tactics or sratagey or at least it dosent show. You may have played for him for 4 years but i could probly say that you got not the least bit better. Just because he won 1 region championship dosent mean anything. Those players won it all by themselves. He was more of a babby sitter that didnt need to be there. Those players told him what to do:!:
Perhaps he could get a job at Wendy's?

I personaly hope he stays, Bart has no desire to step up he is all to soft for the job.
"dominator05" Wrote:I don't know much about Coach Thomas, but judging from seeing Pikeville play in the Coca-Cola Classic at Pike Central, Coach Thomas's strategy was give the ball to Jess so he can shoot it. And Walls and the young skinny boy from the bench got to jack up a few 3's....it seemed to me that Shurtleff was just down there to clean up the Bricks that were bein thrown up. He does a pretty good job of rebounding for his height--what is he?? about 5'10" or 5'11"?

If im not mistaken the little skinny kid off the bench was none other than Matt Clevenger the kids an 8th grader....so im looking for good thigns in the future...plus i heard the freshman team is like 7-1

Quote:Perhaps he could get a job at Wendy's?
[quote]
Lame joke man...haha
I guess Thomas is the reason this is one of the worst shooting teams in the region....about 28% from the field,49% from the FT line if I'm not mistaken...and I have seen pee wee teams play harder.
Maybe the players have given up because of the coach but why not try something new...like play harder and with more enthusiasm IN SPITE of the coach.
It's time for Thomas to move on, he'll never have another good team at Pikeville. The fact that the freshmen team is 7-1 means nothing, because every year PHS has a decent frehsmen and jr high team but the majority of the players quit before the varsity level or soon after.
Thomas should move on, he is not a good fit at PHS. The Freshman record is good and just gives another reason for Thomas to move on. Usually Freshman and JV have a different coach and seems those coaches at PHS are getting play out of those young kids and for what ever reason as they move up the level of play is not there- COACHING. Just look at what happened at Johnson Central with football. Their middle school team are always one of the best in the Big Sandy Valley but never produced in High School with just 2-3 wins in 3 years, unitl this years coaching change and what a great year they had, almost made the playoffs in a tough district.
"Doc Holiday" Wrote:Perhaps he could get a job at Wendy's?

I personaly hope he stays, Bart has no desire to step up he is all to soft for the job.
Who has said anything about Bart stepping up.... 8)
Well, Thomas is a good guy just not a very good coach. His methods of coaching arent what I consider very good. The players who should play usually don't and some of the one's I wouldnt play and well probaably shouldnt play do. He always has the wrong defense picked out. I couldn't tell but against Valley whatever they ran maybe a zone could of been man, but if it was it was weak, but they shot wide open threes all night long. Totally ridiculous. Also, Pikeville isnt as good because not all the players who could play go out because they dont like Thomas. With some of those kids we could contend.

BUT, IF U THINK THEY HAVE NO FUN UNDER THOMAS, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LITTLE FUN THEY WERE HAVE UNDER ROWE.

Rowe is not the coach for Pikeville to strict his basketball camp was like going to a practice. NO FUN ALL DRILLS
"Beef" Wrote:
"Doc Holiday" Wrote:Perhaps he could get a job at Wendy's?

Who has said anything about Bart stepping up.... 8)
phsplyer17 early in this thread
"phsplyr17" Wrote:I think Thomas is a joke...they should let Bart take over....and if he thinks the students are bad now...wait until district tourny starts...

A few years ago i would have said the exact same thing. But after playing for Coach Williams, it appears to be that he is adapting the same attitude and demeanor that Coach Thomas has. He has become more negative and demoralizing in the past few years than he used to be.... I cant say i blame him though, dealing with Dave Thomas would put anyone in a bad mood.
I think Thomas is a very good person off the court but when it comes to coaching a team he tries strange methods.....he takes fun out of basketball and doesnt allow his playes to play....he will jerk anyone off the court for the first mistake and then make them feel like dirt after
im not a big fan of his public humiliation either...thats the reason so many people talk abou thim like they do on here
"Farva" Wrote:

Knowledgeable or not...The fact still remains that he CAN'T coach...
I agree with liveMAROON....thomas likes to think his public humiliation makes his players play harder but all it does is make them not want to play for him....they play in fear of him critisicing everything they do it seems to me
"doody britches" Wrote:It's time for Thomas to move on, he'll never have another good team at Pikeville. The fact that the freshmen team is 7-1 means nothing, because every year PHS has a decent frehsmen and jr high team but the majority of the players quit before the varsity level or soon after.

This is soo true...People are always talking about theri younger teams and how good they could be in the future...but when they get up there with Thomas they lose all hope and heart of ever being a regional contender...its just not right...Pikevilles freshamn team has a whole lto of talent...but like you said db a lot of the players will quit or just not want to play for Thomas...trust me i know