Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Ticket Scalping
What's up with the BS UK ticket scalping!!! Law clearly states that tickets cannot be sold within 2 Blocks of Rupp Arena yet you can't even walk in the HYATT for all the scalpers!

The wife and I went down to Lex last night to try and get two tickets for a descent price because she had never been before. Was told by many different folks that tickets could be bought there close to Rupp because scalpers weren't allowed to be sold for more than "face value" within 2 blocks of the doors. Tickets were priced to us for $200 a piece for lowers and $100 a piece for uppers. Waited until 5 minutes before tip off and they still wouldn't hardly budge. Was told we could have 2 "bad" uppers for $160. These idiots ended up eating many, many tickets because they wouldn't sell for a reasonable price... Don't get it!

Cops standing right there and never said a word to them the entire time. Finally, one lady cop, came over and "talked" to them, but that appeared to just be to have a friendly conversation with them. Never seen so much BS in my life!
There is a law but whether the Police actually enforce it is totally different.
thats why they scalp in order to make money. people buy them so i really dont blame them.
LOL, this thread is funny. I've been going to UK games for 25 years and have seen scalpers at the door everyone of those years. Are you just now noticing this?

Law says I can't drive 70 on the AA HWY where it is posted 55 either......
Stardust Wrote:LOL, this thread is funny. I've been going to UK games for 25 years and have seen scalpers at the door everyone of those years. Are you just now noticing this?

Law says I can't drive 70 on the AA HWY where it is posted 55 either......
The thing is I can almost guarantee that scalpers have never tried to rape people like they are now just because Calipari is there and UK has the talent they have. I've been going to UK games for years and years and have gotten tickets, from scalpers, at reasonable prices. $200 a ticket for lowers and $100 a ticket for uppers is a joke... and they are their own worst enemy. Rather than making some money they are eating their tickets because people AREN'T buying them. People simply heard the price, laughed or told them they were idiots and walked away... saw it all night long. :Thumbs:
Most scalpers are hired from the venue in the first place is what alot of people don't realize. I know because I have a certain scalper that works for Rupp Arena and I have a scalper that works for the Reds. If you watch close enough when they have ticket lotteries for concerts, they will talk to the people behind the glass and they will just hand certain groups handfulls of tickets. It happens everywhere and the cops knows what is happening is why it is hardly enforced!
If you want to watch this team play, then you better have a big wallet or be fortunate enough to know someone who has season tickets that doesn't go to each game. A lot of people will pay a pretty penny for UK tickets. My advice to you, is either get on Ticketmaster.com or eBay and find you a set of tickets for a reasonable price. Otherwise, your not going to be seeing this team live.
Creeker Wrote:The thing is I can almost guarantee that scalpers have never tried to rape people like they are now just because Calipari is there and UK has the talent they have. I've been going to UK games for years and years and have gotten tickets, from scalpers, at reasonable prices. $200 a ticket for lowers and $100 a ticket for uppers is a joke... and they are their own worst enemy. Rather than making some money they are eating their tickets because people AREN'T buying them. People simply heard the price, laughed or told them they were idiots and walked away... saw it all night long. :Thumbs:

What makes you think their eating their tickets? I guarentee you they are getting rid of them. The place is packed every single night. All they need is to get one person to pay for the $200 ticket and they just made ALL of their money back! If they sell two, they just made a huge profit. If they don't sell the rest by gametime they sell at face value or even under face and still made a HUGE profit. That is business!
Stardust Wrote:What makes you think their eating their tickets? I guarentee you they are getting rid of them. The place is packed every single night. All they need is to get one person to pay for the $200 ticket and they just made ALL of their money back! If they sell two, they just made a huge profit. If they don't sell the rest by gametime they sell at face value or even under face and still made a HUGE profit. That is business!
Nope... wrong again... We stood there and waited them out from 5:30 til 7pm and watched 90% of them walk away with a HANDFUL of UNSOLD tickets. I ended up buying 2 for $175 in section 19 in the lowers. We walked in just as they were announcing the starters and were AMAZED at all the empty lower arena seats. :HitWall: In nearly every section there were rows of empty seats.

I even said this to a couple of the scalpers... why would you eat them rather than sell them and make just a little profit... they said they'd rather eat them. Strange to me. I talked to a couple of different folks that were standing there with us waiting and they said they do this every game and end up getting FREE tickets because the scalpers CANNOT sell the tickets before tip off. :lmao:
Creeker Wrote:Nope... wrong again... We stood there and waited them out from 5:30 til 7pm and watched 90% of them walk away with a HANDFUL of UNSOLD tickets. I ended up buying 2 for $175 in section 19 in the lowers. We go in and were AMAZED at all the empty lower arena seats. :HitWall: In nearly every section there were rows of empty seats.

I even said this to a couple of the scalpers... why would you eat them rather than sell them and make just a little profit... they said they'd rather eat them. Strange to me.

I guarentee they sold at least two, which got them all their money plus profit
You went to the Hartford game right? If so, the attendance was 24,340 - that's above capacity. So I don't think there where that many open seats.
Stardust Wrote:I guarentee they sold at least two, which got them all their money plus profit
Yep... got $175 out of me and the wife for two $33 tickets to watch UK play HARTFORD! :lmao:

Never seen so much BS in my life.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You went to the Hartford game right? If so, the attendance was 24,340 - that's above capacity. So I don't think there where that many open seats.
Yep... that's the one... row after row of empty seats in the lowers. We could have easily moved around and sat anywhere we wanted to in the lowers. In fact by the second Half that appeared to be what a lot of folks did.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You went to the Hartford game right? If so, the attendance was 24,340 - that's above capacity. So I don't think there where that many open seats.

BCA, I just looked at the highlights and saw all the empty seats disguised as people :popcorn:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUaFEnxiGFA"]YouTube- Kentucky Wildcats vs Hartford Hawks[/ame]
Stardust Wrote:BCA, I just looked at the highlights and saw all the empty seats disguised as people :popcorn:

You're funny... what are you 12?

I was there... saw it all first half, you on the other hand wasn't... :yawn:
Creeker Wrote:You're funny... what are you 12?

I was there... saw it all first half, you on the other hand wasn't... :yawn:

In all fairness the attendance shows that there couldn't have been rows of seats open. There may have been a few seats open here and there, but actual rows of seats is hard to believe.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:In all fairness the attendance shows that there couldn't have been rows of seats open. There may have been a few seats open here and there, but actual rows of seats is hard to believe.
Sorry... guess I should have spelled it out. In each section of the lower level in the RUPP arena there were enough seats open to make a complete row. In the First Half of the game we could have easily moved throughout the lower arena and had our choice of seats. After the First Half people from the Upper Arena moved down and filled those seats.
It has been like this for years Creeker, when Mashburn and such played you would have been paying a bing chunk of change to watch them play. Now granted the tickets were not as high priced as they are now and that is because of inflation and all tickets have drastically increase. I remember going to watch Kentucky vs TN back in the 90s and two UPPER NOSE BLEEDS seats ran my father 80 bucks for 2 and that was in the 90s we were 2 rows from the top and the only reason he payed that much was because it was my first UK basketball game. With that said what you are not seeing as far as the cops go is the arena is owned by the city and the scalpers are hired by the arena/city. These so called scalpers are city employees for the night, they make so much off of how many tickets they sell and are paid some type of hourly rate. Some are also co-owned by companies which are contracted out by the city and Rupp Arena. Many of these people as I said are making an hourly wage so they are not eating the tickets they have. Now the cheaper tickets that you are getting by those who have upper arena tickets are normaly people who work in private and they make a huge profit off of what they sell. The Louisvile game if these scalpers lost money for the Hartford game will quadruple what they put into the two game (Louisville and Hartford) and break way more than just even. You get hurt by a few games but make a killing of one thats the way scalping works.
Creeker Wrote:Sorry... guess I should have spelled it out. In each section of the lower level in the RUPP arena there were enough seats open to make a complete row. In the First Half of the game we could have easily moved throughout the lower arena and had our choice of seats. After the First Half people from the Upper Arena moved down and filled those seats.

Well you stated that in every section there where rows of empty seats. I disagreed and said that there was over a capacity crowd. All you had to say from the beginning that there was empty seats in each section.

That's all I'm arguing.
It siad in the video that that game was the most attended of the season so far.....
i am hoping to get some tickets at rupp saturday. you guys seemed well informed on how it works at that venue. any tips for fellow wildcat fan?
LClion4life Wrote:It siad in the video that that game was the most attended of the season so far.....

Really, I didn't catch that. Great catch.:Thumbs:
LClion4life Wrote:It siad in the video that that game was the most attended of the season so far.....

Well the video is wrong, because the UNC game was the most attended this season with an attendance of 24,468. Which is the new Rupp Arena record.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Well you stated that in every section there where rows of empty seats. I disagreed and said that there was over a capacity crowd. All you had to say from the beginning that there was empty seats in each section.

That's all I'm arguing.
Okay... my bad.
Like BCA said... the video is wrong.
It was still over capacity so how were their many seats open? The Louisville game will set the Rupp Arena record for attendance.
LClion4life Wrote:It was still over capacity so how were their many seats open? The Louisville game will set the Rupp Arena record for attendance.

There is always seats open in the lower arena. A lot of the richer people usually have season tickets, but rarely attend games, especially games against the likes of Hartford. Majority of the people in attendance are in the upper arena.
If you paid $175 each for $33 tickets then you have no right to complain. By paying so much for your tickets, you are helping set the price for scalped UK tickets, so please stop whining because you believe you should be able to buy cheaper tickets. Next time just say, "No, thanks," and then complain that you could not find affordable tickets. If nobody did business with scalpers, then there would be no scalpers.

If somebody buys a ticket then that ticket belongs to the buyer and he should be free to sell any of his property. If you were willing to buy scalped tickets for $175, then you paid the fair market price that you helped set.

Expecting our justice system to capture and punish scalpers for selling their property is ridiculous. If the Fayette County police department does not have higher priorities than rounding up ticket scalpers, then they have too many policemen on the payroll.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Well the video is wrong, because the UNC game was the most attended this season with an attendance of 24,468. Which is the new Rupp Arena record.

What was the attendance for the 2000th win. I have been to several UK games through the years and I thought the 2000th game was pretty packed, especially for that type of opponent.
colonel kill Wrote:what was the attendance for the 2000th win. I have been to several uk games through the years and i thought the 2000th game was pretty packed, especially for that type of opponent.