Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rich Brooks Retires as Kentucky's Head Football Coach
Kentucky football coach Rich Brooks has retired. Brooks lead UK's football program to 4-straight bowl games and will be considered one of the best coaches in UK football history.

We appreciate the memories coach Brooks!
Sad news, Im not a huge Kentucky football fan, but he was a good guy!!

What happens to UK now?
Joker Phillips is the head coach now. He was named head coach in waiting last season or the season before.
Will Joker take over? If so, that should be fun...
NYY10 Wrote:Sad news, Im not a huge Kentucky football fan, but he was a good guy!!

What happens to UK now?

1. Joker has been coach in waiting, he will be the HC.

2. Sanders moves up to Offensive Coordinator

3. I expect Ortmayer to retire, as well as maybe another assistant like Heggins.

4. Brown could potentially look to go elsewhere.

5. Whichever coordinator spots become open expect UK to fill with coaches who are more focused on recruiting.

Rich Brooks... thank you! He has completely turned UK's football program around and brought it to heights most thought were impossible.
I wish Coach Brooks well. I'm still not sold on Joker running the show, but I will be patient as he get's his feet under him
THANK YOU BROOKS...I was there through the probation... I was there through 2 and 9 seasons... I was there when everyone wanted to run him off with a sign that said I support Brooks. I was there when the program turned around in 06 with a win over UGA...I was there when we beat Louisville...I was there when we beat #1 LSU!!!!!! I was there when we won our first bowl game in a LONG time... I was watching we when we beat Auburn and UGA on the road in the same year...Brooks I was there, I have always been there and as a long time Kentucky football fan next season not seeing you run through that tunnel will be the hardest thing as a Kentucky fan you will be sorely missed...
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:THANK YOU BROOKS...I was there through the probation... I was there through 2 and 9 seasons... I was there when everyone wanted to run him off with a sign that said I support Brooks. I was there when the program turned around in 06 with a win over UGA...I was there when we beat Louisville...I was there when we beat #1 LSU!!!!!! I was there when we won our first bowl game in a LONG time... I was watching we when we beat Auburn and UGA on the road in the same year...Brooks I was there, I have always been there and as a long time Kentucky football fan next season not seeing you run through that tunnel will be the hardest thing as a Kentucky fan you will be sorely missed...

I can only say, "Thank God you're not there anymore" :biggrin:

JK, I have thoroughly supported Brooks, through health issues and lack of support, seen to it to bring this program out of the ashes back to respectability.
Oh how I hate to see Papa Brooks go. I wish Coach the best of luck and appreciate everything he has done for the University of Kentucky.
Sad to see Coach Brooks go. I think Joker will do fine.
so when will they name Joker as the new coach, or has that been done already?
lwc Wrote:Sad to see Coach Brooks go. I think Joker will do fine.
I think UK is in for a rough go. I am hope I am wrong but I doubt it.

Edit* I say that if Joker keeps calling the plays. If he lets Sanders call them we might be alright.
Sad
Ill go ahead and make my prediction for next season. UK goes 4-8, with one conference win. I hate to see Rich Brooks go, and I hate even more that they named Joker the coach in waiting. That coach in waiting is crap..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I hate to see Brooks go. He did a lot for the program.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Ill go ahead and make my prediction for next season. UK goes 4-8, with one conference win. I hate to see Rich Brooks go, and I hate even more that they named Joker the coach in waiting. That coach in waiting is crap..
With every single skill player returning I can't see UK finishing worse than 6-6.

With so many key defensive players leaving I can't see them finishing better than 7-5.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Ill go ahead and make my prediction for next season. UK goes 4-8, with one conference win. I hate to see Rich Brooks go, and I hate even more that they named Joker the coach in waiting. That coach in waiting is crap..

Im not going to agree with your prediction but it wont be long before joker is out of lexington. I wonder if any of our players try to go pro with the coaching change.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:With every single skill player returning I can't see UK finishing worse than 6-6.

With so many key defensive players leaving I can't see them finishing better than 7-5.
I can respect that, but everybody else will be loaded too Sad The SEC next season will be absolutely outstanding. Not to mention, Louisville will be better next season too..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
So long to the best football coach at UK since Bear Bryant. Coach Brooks layed the foundation for a successful program and lets just hope that Joker and co. build upon it. One good thing is that Joker wont be calling plays anymore.
Stardust Wrote:I wish Coach Brooks well. I'm still not sold on Joker running the show, but I will be patient as he get's his feet under him

I agree. I'm not sold on Joker either, but will give him a chance.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:So long to the best football coach at UK since Bear Bryant. Coach Brooks layed the foundation for a successful program and lets just hope that Joker and co. build upon it. One good thing is that Joker wont be calling plays anymore.

You are fooling yourself if you don't think Joker will still have a majority of the play calling responsibilities
sstack Wrote:I agree. I'm not sold on Joker either, but will give him a chance.
IMO Joker wasnt given the job because of his coaching ability. He was given the job because he is a great recruiter. IMO Steve Brown will leave because the only reason he came to UK is because he wanted to work with his old coach in the pros. IMO Chuck Smith needs to be the DC. By this time next year he could have 3 of his LBs in Woodyard, Micah, and Sam Maxwell starting in the NFL. A stat like that would make alot of top notch LB prospect take notice.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:IMO Joker wasnt given the job because of his coaching ability. He was given the job because he is a great recruiter. IMO Steve Brown will leave because the only reason he came to UK is because he wanted to work with his old coach in the pros. IMO Chuck Smith needs to be the DC. By this time next year he could have 3 of his LBs in Woodyard, Micah, and Sam Maxwell starting in the NFL. A stat like that would make alot of top notch LB prospect take notice.

Being from Rockcastle and facing Boyle County NUMEROUS times, I have always had a great deal of respect for Coach Smith. I think he would be an incredible defensive coordinator. Given the track record he has had in EVERYTHING he has ever done, he deserves the chance someday.
thnx coach brooks
I hate to see Coach Brooks go. UK football program was just starting to head in the right direction. I guess now we will just have to wait and see I dont really know what to expect out of Joker. Hopefully he will have what it takes to keep them on the tracks and not fall off.
I'm kinda sad to see Coach Brooks retire this year! I was hoping he would stick around atleast for next season because UK has one of the best recruiting classes coming in this year that we've had in a while and i think that with Coach Brooks we would have had the chance to go to a BCS Bowl next year! Hopefully Joker Phillips will change some of his play calling choices because i wasn't too impressed with him this year.

But, IMO Rich Brooks is the Best Coach to ever coach the Kentucky Football team just for the simple fact that he has led this school to 4 straight bowl games and hopefully we can continue this tradition that Coach Brooks has brought to Kentucky.
I think Joker will be fine. I do not like the coach in waiting thing though. Our next d-cordinator will come from The U and may bring a "storm" with him.
Rich Brooks took our program from the grave and made it respectable the RIGHT way. I cant stress that enough he didnt use a gimic offense, He flat out built the program to be competitave again. We still have the talent Joker will be fine. 10 years from now i think we will have to rename it Rich Brooks Stadium.
The last four years have been good,not great. Coach Brooks has done a good job with the players he had. Coach Brooks will be miss,but hes has say,he will stick around to help out if needed.
As for the incoming HC, I think Joker can take this program to the next level,hes a great recruiter and good with players,if he can get the players UK needs,he will take this program to heights that this football program has never been.So good luck to our new Coach and staff.And the best to Coach Brooks.
I honestly think the program will take a step back for a year or two, hope I am wrong but we lose alot of D, will more than likely have a new D scheme which may not be such a bad thing lol but we will be very very young on the Defensive side of the ball...QB will still be questionable...all in all LETS GO CATS