Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joker Phillips Makes Staff Changes
New Kentucky football coach Joker Phillips will not retain offensive line caoch Jimmy Heggins and defensive line coach Rick Petri.

More...
I was waiting for Petri to get the hammer but I am very surprised by the decision to let Heggins go. The pass protection was not very good this year but none the less he is a very experienced assistant coach who has consistently put a very solid unit on the field for the time he has been at Kentucky.
I am not sure who they will go after for a Defensive Line coach but with a few head coaching changes in the college football landscape and the connections that Joker has they may go that route to pick up an assistant who doesn't follow the head coach or doesn't get retained where they are at. They need someone who can teach technique and bring more enthusiasm because the defensive line has been severely lacking in those areas since Petri has been there.
As a dark horse candidate for the job as O line coach I would say Matt McCutchan has an outside shot. Remember, Joker Phillips followed the player, then GA, then assistant coach path to get his first gig at UK as recievers coach. Personally I would like to see it because I am a big McCutchan fan and would imagine that he is prepared for the opportunity from being with Heggins the last two seasons.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I was waiting for Petri to get the hammer but I am very surprised by the decision to let Heggins go. The pass protection was not very good this year but none the less he is a very experienced assistant coach who has consistently put a very solid unit on the field for the time he has been at Kentucky.
I am not sure who they will go after for a Defensive Line coach but with a few head coaching changes in the college football landscape and the connections that Joker has they may go that route to pick up an assistant who doesn't follow the head coach or doesn't get retained where they are at. They need someone who can teach technique and bring more enthusiasm because the defensive line has been severely lacking in those areas since Petri has been there.
As a dark horse candidate for the job as O line coach I would say Matt McCutchan has an outside shot. Remember, Joker Phillips followed the player, then GA, then assistant coach path to get his first gig at UK as recievers coach. Personally I would like to see it because I am a big McCutchan fan and would imagine that he is prepared for the opportunity from being with Heggins the last two seasons.

Good post!
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I was waiting for Petri to get the hammer but I am very surprised by the decision to let Heggins go. The pass protection was not very good this year but none the less he is a very experienced assistant coach who has consistently put a very solid unit on the field for the time he has been at Kentucky.

:Thumbs:
hope he knows what he is doing
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]