Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Smith kicked off UT basketball team
Breaking news from Kentucky Sports Radio

Tyler Smith has been booted from the Tennessee basketball team for his role in the arrest for weapon and drug possession last week according to the Knoxville News Sentinel. The decision on the other three players is still to come, although none of them will play this weekend against Kansas.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=40673
UT's season is pretty much over then. Especially if the other three get the boot as well.
Heard Williams may be the only other player to get the boot.

Tennessee has talent outside of these four players and shown it against Charlotte the other night.
They just lost any chance of beating UK.
Aslan Wrote:They just lost any chance of beating UK.

I hope so.
Hopefully other College and High School student-athletes will learn from this, not to get involved with drugs/guns.

I'll assume this decision albeit "justifiable", was not an easy one for Pearl. It's never easy to dismiss part of the athletic family. You can scold, punish and sit but sometimes the actions of the players, leave the coaches no choice.

Smith and the others put themselves in this situation and must be held accountable. Hopefully all will continue with their education and get any counseling needed.
Augie Garrido Wrote:Hopefully other College and High School student-athletes will learn from this, not to get involved with drugs/guns.

I'll assume this decision albeit "justifiable", was not an easy one for Pearl. It's never easy to dismiss part of the athletic family. You can scold, punish and sit but sometimes the actions of the players, leave the coaches no choice.

Smith and the others put themselves in this situation and must be held accountable. Hopefully all will continue with their education and get any counseling needed.

Good post.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Heard Williams may be the only other player to get the boot.

Tennessee has talent outside of these four players and shown it against Charlotte the other night.
I just don't get that. All these players are guilty of the same thing, even if it is guilt by association. They all should be punished the same.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I just don't get that. All these players are guilty of the same thing, even if it is guilt by association. They all should be punished the same.
Not necessarily agree. Did they all posses guns, alcohol or drugs. Who was driving at the time, what was his condition. The care registered to whom. Did some conceal what they had or admit.

These and many more things, can result in differing charges being alleged. I will agree they all made extremely poor decisions and certainly knew better. Perhaps Smith was the only one, who told Pearl the truth or perhaps he lied.

A lot of variables that we the public just don't know.
Augie Garrido Wrote:Not necessarily agree. Did they all posses guns, alcohol or drugs. Who was driving at the time, what was his condition. The care registered to whom. Did some conceal what they had or admit.

These and many more things, can result in differing charges being alleged. I will agree they all made extremely poor decisions and certainly knew better. Perhaps Smith was the only one, who told Pearl the truth or perhaps he lied.

:Thumbs:
Augie Garrido Wrote:Not necessarily agree. Did they all posses guns, alcohol or drugs. Who was driving at the time, what was his condition. The care registered to whom. Did some conceal what they had or admit.

I can agree with that

While I agree with this statement the publi documents which have been released and published upon state that the weapons were consealed UNDER the driver and passanger seats of each car. The car which was registered under Tatums name if im not mistaking. Thus, can you justify that the fire arms are at that time in possesion or known by the other three in the car? Seems to me that Smith and the other may be used as scapegoats in this situation. This is all hypothetical though.
Guys, all of the players knew there were guns in the car. All the players knew there were drugs in the car.
Just because they might have been under one's seat and not the other's doesn't make them any less guilty in my eyes.
They all knew it was wrong and they all knew the consequences.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:While I agree with this statement the publi documents which have been released and published upon state that the weapons were concealed UNDER the driver and passenger seats of each car. The car which was registered under Tatums name if im not mistaking. Thus, can you justify that the fire arms are at that time in possesion or known by the other three in the car? Seems to me that Smith and the other may be used as scapegoats in this situation. This is all hypothetical though.
Below is another Link to FOX, where quotes from both Pearl and Smith are attributed. While it doesn't clear up all the allegations, it seems to offer that information on Smith was more available.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/Tenne...sed-010810
Amun-Ra Wrote:UT's season is pretty much over then. Especially if the other three get the boot as well.

Even if those three don't get kicked off they'll still have a hard time because Tyler Smith was IMO their best player and the leader of the team!
Amun-Ra Wrote:Guys, all of the players knew there were guns in the car. All the players knew there were drugs in the car.
Just because they might have been under one's seat and not the other's doesn't make them any less guilty in my eyes.
They all knew it was wrong and they all knew the consequences.

my point Amun-Ra since you didnt get it is that all 4 should be punished equally
Finally somebody got it right.. I'm disappointed in losing Tyler, but there had to be an example made that this stuff has to stop. We'll see on Sunday how good the short-handed Vols will be. They beat a good Charlotte team who beat up on Louisville, but Kansas is a different game.
After this event, I have a lot more respect for the University of Tennesse and Coach Pearl. Anyone could have suspended Smith for a few games and then played him for the SEC and NCAA Tournament. They stepped up and did what they felt was right.
Aslan Wrote:They just lost any chance of beating UK.

but not KU...
Sounds like smith was the leader of this incident...Hope he gets his life straight
You can tell Smith isn't a Professional, there was only 2 guns.lol. :biggrin: