Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kansas State Coach "hits" player
Kansas State Coach "hits" player.

I think the main issue here is this:
From the story

Quote:It may not be a big deal to Merriewether, but Martin’s swipe is sure to get some attention at a time when coaches are being punished for abusing players.

Kansas football coach Mark Mangino resigned last month amid allegations that he mistreated his players. Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach was fired in December after he was accused of forcing an injured player to stand in a dark shed. South Florida fired football coach Jim Leavitt on Friday, saying he grabbed a player by the throat, slapped him in the face and lied about it.

Pullen didn’t believe Martin’s moment was in the same category.
I think this is being blown WAY out of proportion.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I think this is being blown WAY out of proportion.

That is why I quoted that one portion from the story. The TIMING is horrible for this situation.
lwc Wrote:That is why I quoted that one portion from the story. The TIMING is horrible for this situation.

Agreed. Somebody said it in another thread, this is not the day's of a "Bear Bryant", player mistreatment of any kind will not be tolerated. Any touch or even misconstrued comment by a coach will likely mean discipline on the coach.
Stardust Wrote:Agreed. Somebody said it in another thread, this is not the day's of a "Bear Bryant", player mistreatment of any kind will not be tolerated. Any touch or even misconstrued comment by a coach will likely mean discipline on the coach.

That is why "players" coaches are so successful today: Tony Dungy, John Calipari, Pete Carroll, etc...
lwc Wrote:That is why "players" coaches are so successful today: Tony Dungy, John Calipari, Pete Carroll, etc...

What about Coach K, Roy Williams, those are successful coaches! I'll put titles with a coaches success when they can keep kids in line and graduate them.
A coach putting there hands on a player in anyway shouldn't be tolerated. I know coaches want to get there player fired up, and I think in this case thats what the coach was wanting. But it looks bad, and coaches are suppose to be able to get their players up without any physical contact. I know coaches can get emotional at times and they want the best out of their players, but no more than a high five should be given physically. Coaches are suppose to be good speakers and lead by example. Coach K is a perfect example when it comes to leading his team with inspirational words.
I believe that in certain situations physical contact isnt that bad. In example lets say you are showing grade school or high school kid something lets say to take a charge and cutting off the baseline and you tug on their jersey a little bit to show what position to be in. This could look bad but really is it that bad and this is when fans and the media blow things out of porportion the coach apologized right after the game and the kid said no harm was done and didnt think his coach was in the wrong.
phoeniXX Wrote:A coach putting there hands on a player in anyway shouldn't be tolerated. I know coaches want to get there player fired up, and I think in this case thats what the coach was wanting. But it looks bad, and coaches are suppose to be able to get their players up without any physical contact. I know coaches can get emotional at times and they want the best out of their players, but no more than a high five should be given physically. Coaches are suppose to be good speakers and lead by example. Coach K is a perfect example when it comes to leading his team with inspirational words.

There's a proper way to put you're hands on a player and an improper way.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I think this is being blown WAY out of proportion.

I agree.
Stardust Wrote:What about Coach K, Roy Williams, those are successful coaches! I'll put titles with a coaches success when they can keep kids in line and graduate them.

Roy is the ULTIMATE players coach. Coach K is a good combination of fire and compassion. I don't think he would be that sucessful if he was just starting TODAY. The fact that he has shown a track-record of success and has put guys like Grant Hill in the NBA allows him to bring in good players.

Notice that Bill Self, Coach Cal, Roy Williams and Texas Coach (can't believe that I can't remember his name) are on top of the world AND recruiting, they are players coaches.
it is just crazy at what coach's are doing
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:it is just crazy at what coach's are doing

Coaches didn't just start....
if this was one of the elite schools it would be a big deal
This should be a big deal. If Duke,UNC,Kentucky,Kansas, Texas or any bigtime school coach had done this ESPN would be having a field day.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:This should be a big deal. If Duke,UNC,Kentucky,Kansas, Texas or any bigtime school coach had done this ESPN would be having a field day.

I beg to differ, if it was dUKe or UNC, ESPN would report that it was the Kids fault!:igiveup:
Wildcatk23 Wrote:This should be a big deal. If Duke,UNC,Kentucky,Kansas, Texas or any bigtime school coach had done this ESPN would be having a field day.

Disagree as a coach you must know what gets your players motivated and what doesnt, you must know what you players can take and what they cant, there is a fine line between motivation and abuse...However, the kid vocalized right after the game that his coach was in no way wrong by doing what he was doing so whats the issue...Kids are to babied now adays in my eyes, im only 22 but when I played basketball even as a grade school player i was never hit but i was jerked by my jersey and such, cussed and what not but I was cool with it because I was just as passionate as my coach was. Basically the stigma of the game is different and parents are to blame for that IMO
Stardust Wrote:Coaches didn't just start....

Correct. Players are becoming a bunch of puss these days.