Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(16) Tenneessee 76 - (1) Kansas 68
leecoukfan Wrote:WOW! Really wasn't expecting this but I'm really glad that this happened! I think this proves that Kansas doesn't deserve to be ranked #1 in the nation and all the voters should see this considering that they got beat by a depleted Tennessee team!

agreed but KU is a great team and a top team..u cant argue that
lwc Wrote:When did not being a top 10 team mean not being a good team? I think that Baylor is a good team but they are not top 25. Same goes for Florida.

Just because I don't believe that they are a top ten team does not mean that I think they aren't good.

I think the reason people do not want UNC in the top ten (at least my reasoning) is because ESPN falls in love with them because of their potential, not because of what they SHOW.

If UNC beats Billy-Bob college and a team like Purdue beats a great Wisconsin team, UNC would get showered with affection and jump 3-4 spots AND be talked about for 20 minutes on ESPN. (most of this did not happen but I am being figurative)

I am sure UNC fans feel the same about the Wildcats though. :biggrin:

But isn't that exactly what got OUR CATS their preseaon ranking. I think UK has now proved that ranking to be accurate but prior to the season UK had done nothing to earn that spot. They were not even in the NCAA tourny last year. I hate all of our rival schools but I don't want to take away from what they do because it makes it that much better when we beat them. I don't care about beating a down Carolina, Duke, Kansas, I want to beat them at their best.
Aslan Wrote:Thank God they won't be ranked #1 anymore. They should drop to at least 7 or 8.
Texas will be the new number one(should of been all year) and UK 2.

+1 :Thumbs:
Colonel Kill Wrote:But isn't that exactly what got OUR CATS their preseaon ranking. I think UK has now proved that ranking to be accurate but prior to the season UK had done nothing to earn that spot. They were not even in the NCAA tourny last year. I hate all of our rival schools but I don't want to take away from what they do because it makes it that much better when we beat them. I don't care about beating a down Carolina, Duke, Kansas, I want to beat them at their best.

I see the potential argument but THAT IS ALL YOU CAN RATE ON IN PRESEASON. And I agree that UNC is a top 5 team on potential alone. I just think that at the end of the year UNC will not be a top 10 team. Pre-season yes, end of season no.
lwc Wrote:I see the potential argument but THAT IS ALL YOU CAN RATE ON IN PRESEASON. And I agree that UNC is a top 5 team on potential alone. I just think that at the end of the year UNC will not be a top 10 team. Pre-season yes, end of season no.

I agree it is going to be a tough year in the ACC for UNC and they may not be a top team but because we beat them I hope they finish high to help us at the end of the year for seeding purposes.
How about a little "Dust In The Wind"?
Colonel Kill Wrote:I agree it is going to be a tough year in the ACC for UNC and they may not be a top team but because we beat them I hope they finish high to help us at the end of the year for seeding purposes.

I have to agree with you CK.:Thumbs:
That was a big win by UT today over a No. 1 Kansas.
wow, just wow.. What team effort by the Vols
Rocky Top Wrote:That was a big win by UT today over a No. 1 Kansas.

UT was shorthanded today also...great win...Could tennessee be a top 5 team come march??
I have said it all year that Kansas was over rated and the first time they played someone they would get beat and thats exactly what happen. Temple was ranked but IMO they shouldnt be they are horrible. But Tennessee is not a bad team and out played Kansas today. I think this is the first time in my life i have wanted the Vols to win.
theVILLE Wrote:Yes but i have to say duke could be #5 team..Syracuse will be this week and duke at #6 probably..

duke got beat to so dont think they need to be 6...
way to go vols.
finally, look what happends to kansas when they play a decent team. sorry they cant put kansas city community and technical college on there schedule every game. as much as they would like to.
Incredible performance by UT, scotty hopson made ky proud. Total team effort. Took aldrich out of the game offensively. Just goes to show you, kansas was def not the best team in the country. youll see in a week or so when the reel number one team, knocks the vols off. Congrats Vlos tho.
theVILLE Wrote:agreed but KU is a great team and a top team..u cant argue that

yeah, they're a top team but they're not THE top team.
Aslan Wrote:I can't believe were going to have this UNC debate again.
Yes, we all hate them and don't want them to have any glory whatsoever. But no matter how much we hate them, they are legit, we barely beat them at home. 2 of there other loses was to top teams and the lost to CC was without 2 key players. Be realistic and cut them a break.

Tennessee just beat Kansas without 4 key players.....
I will probably have my UK Fan Card revoked for this, but I was actually pulling for the undermanned Vols to get the upset. A few things of note:

1. Xavier Henry is a very good player...but he is nowhere near being on the same level as John Wall. This game proved that as Henry was just another face on the court. Without Collins penetration or double teams on Aldrich Henry disappears.

2. Scotty Hopson has really matured as a player and is now All-SEC calibur.

3. Kansas and Self made one HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE idiotic mistake with their 2nd Half Gameplan. UT had no depth in the frontcourt and noone who could stop Cole Aldrich. Why the offense did not run through him every posession he was on the court is beyond me.

4. I don't like Bobby Maze, but he had an excellent performance and quietly came close to a triple double.

5. You want to foul out Kansas? Drive to the lane, pump fake, wait for foul, repeat. Kansas literally tries to block every shot and anytime UT pump faked they either drew a foul or got a clear lane to the basket.

6. This really helps the SEC because as long as UT doesn't bomb it down the stretch they will almost assuredly be a tournament team.

7. This really helps UK, because this will significantly help UT's RPI.
Check out the locker room talk that Bruce Pearl had after the game. http://nationofblue.com/tennessee-defeats-1kansas/
we are:Second::rockon:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I will probably have my UK Fan Card revoked for this, but I was actually pulling for the undermanned Vols to get the upset. A few things of note:

1. Xavier Henry is a very good player...but he is nowhere near being on the same level as John Wall. This game proved that as Henry was just another face on the court. Without Collins penetration or double teams on Aldrich Henry disappears.

2. Scotty Hopson has really matured as a player and is now All-SEC calibur.

3. Kansas and Self made one HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE idiotic mistake with their 2nd Half Gameplan. UT had no depth in the frontcourt and noone who could stop Cole Aldrich. Why the offense did not run through him every posession he was on the court is beyond me.

4. I don't like Bobby Maze, but he had an excellent performance and quietly came close to a triple double.

5. You want to foul out Kansas? Drive to the lane, pump fake, wait for foul, repeat. Kansas literally tries to block every shot and anytime UT pump faked they either drew a foul or got a clear lane to the basket.

6. This really helps the SEC because as long as UT doesn't bomb it down the stretch they will almost assuredly be a tournament team.

7. This really helps UK, because this will significantly help UT's RPI.

Awesome post! :Thumbs:

I agree with #1, but in fairness, Wall is not a typical Freshman. This kid is doing in College Basketball what Kobe or Lebron would have done had they been forced to play College Basketball for one year. Wall was certainly talented enough to go straight to the NBA. Henry, Stephenson, Cousins are all great Frosh as well, but honestly not in the same category as Wall. College was needed for the above three in order to prepare them for the next level. Wall was ready this year.

Hopson matured into the leader of the UT Basketball team before our very eyes yesterday. I loved how he took over as the coach on the floor. He didn't do everything on the floor, but he instructed guys, that was fun to watch.

Finally, this was a huge win for the SEC. I know a lot of people hate UT, but them getting this win makes the conferece RPI that much stronger, which helps UK
I told some people on another forum i visit after watching kansas play several games if they played a team who deserved to be top 25 they would lose.
Tennessee played a great game and having Tyler smith prolly motivated them
sacbunt Wrote:Check out the locker room talk that Bruce Pearl had after the game. http://nationofblue.com/tennessee-defeats-1kansas/

What a class act congrats to Coach Pearl on a job well done.
Good win for Tennessee. Kentucky at # 2 in the rankings
Maybe the SEC is a better basketball conference than they get credit for.
Westside Wrote:Maybe the SEC is a better basketball conference than they get credit for.

I'm not ready to say that, we have already lost to too many scrubs to make up for this one win, or UK's record.
UT had the game of there life
Westside Wrote:Maybe the SEC is a better basketball conference than they get credit for.

Better than last year? Yes.
On par with the ACC and Big East? Not Close

1. Big East
2. ACC
3. Big 12

4. Big 10
5. SEC

6. Pac-10
Great job by the Vols. UT outplayed and outcoached KU. Pearl had a game plan and it was executed very well. I thought Tennessee did a pretty good job with the 2-3, considering they're not a zone team. Totally took Aldrich out of the game, which was very surprising. I never really understood why Kansas didn't do more to try to get him involved. I'm glad I decided to go because it was a great college basketball atmosphere and you don't get to see #1 go down very often.