Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Longtime Henry Clay baseball coach fired
http://www.kentucky.com/813/story/1094617.html

Herb Hammond will be inducted into the Kentucky High School Baseball Coaches Association's Hall of Fame this weekend, a tribute to his 414 victories, including one region championship and eight district titles, in 17 years as Henry Clay's coach.

But Hammond isn't in the mood to celebrate, not after he was fired as the Blue Devils' coach last week by Fayette County Public Schools Superintendent Stu Silberman.

"It's been miserable and embarrassing," Hammond said. "I feel like my dignity has been stripped."

Hammond said he lost his job because a "disgruntled parent" accused him of trying to recruit his son back to Henry Clay after he had transferred to Lexington Catholic last summer.

But Don Adkins, who oversees athletics for Fayette County's public schools, said there was "substantial evidence" against Hammond, including incriminating e-mail messages, and that "the termination of his coaching duties was in a fair manner."

Henry Clay Principal John Nochta concurred: "Ultimately, it was my decision, and a change in the leadership of our baseball program had to be made."

Bill Hurt, a Lexington attorney, is the parent who accused Hammond of recruiting.

Hurt's son, Will, was Henry Clay's starting shortstop and pitched some as a freshman last year.

A rift developed between Hammond and Bill Hurt last season over what teams Will could play for during the summer. It culminated with the Hurts moving across town and Will transferring to Lexington Catholic.

On Hurt's transfer papers, Henry Clay noted an objection, saying that Hurt was switching schools for athletic purposes, which led the KHSAA to initially rule him ineligible for his sophomore season at Lexington Catholic.

The Hurts appealed that ruling.

Before a hearing officer upheld the KHSAA's ruling, Hammond and Bill Hurt exchanged e-mail messages that led to the recruiting allegation.

Hammond sent Hurt a message saying he wanted to try to "get things right" because "a kid should not have to sit out a year of his high school eligibility because of adult disagreements."

Hammond didn't explain in that message that he envisioned a scenario in which Will Hurt could re-enroll at Henry Clay during the Christmas break and be eligible to play for the Devils this spring.

Bill Hurt said he thought Hammond was saying that Henry Clay would drop its objection to the transfer, which would clear the way for the KHSAA to rule his son eligible.

In a follow-up e-mail — the smoking gun that ultimately got him fired — Hammond detailed how Will Hurt could be able to return to Henry Clay and play as a sophomore. That's when the feathers hit the fan.

Bill Hurt sent Hammond a message accusing him of recruiting his son. "The rule against recruiting is perhaps Fayette Co.'s and the KHSAA's most fundamental athletic rule. It's incomprehensible that you would violate it so openly and blatantly," Hurt wrote.

Bylaw 10 in the KHSAA handbook prohibits coaches from trying to influence prospective athletes to enroll in their school.

Hurt also chastised Hammond for e-mailing Lexington Catholic Coach Kevin Clary soon after his son had switched schools, asking Clary to "do the right thing" and not play Will even if he were eligible........
I'll get a little more scoop tomorrow, this may be interesting conversation over the weekend.

Coaches:

The 2010 KHSBCA convention will be held January 15-16 at the Holiday Inn Fern Valley in Louisville. This is the same weekend and site that it has been the past few years.

Friday's speakers will start around 1:00 and go through 10:00. Saturday's speakers will start at 8:00 and go through about 5:00. The KHSBCA coaches meeting will start around 11:00, the Hall of Fame Luncheon around 12:00 and the rules meeting with Julian Tackett around 1:00.

If you attend, your registration fee includes your 2010 dues. Membership and convention fees are $75 for head coaches and $60 for assistant coaches.

If you aren't attending, print out the form and send in your check for $30 and check the box for membership only because you have to be a member in order for you or your players to be considered for any KHSBCA awards, all star teams, etc. Deadline for registration is January 6.

Any registration or convention questions should be e-mailed to Sherman Blaszczyk at PRP

For all KHSBCA officers, committee members and regional reps, there will be our annual meeting on Thursday, January 14 at 7:00 at the Holiday Inn Fern Valley. If you are an officer or regional rep and need a room for Thursday night, e-mail Sherman Blaszczyk at PRP.

Below is a list of coaches that will receive milestone wins. If your name should be added to the lsit, e-mail me to let me know. Also, the coach of the year and assistant coach of the year in each region will be recognized. Chris Decker of Greenwood is in the process of compiling coaches who will receive a years of service plaque. E-mail him if you have coaches at least 15 years as a head coach or at least 20 years as a head and assistant coach or assistant coach only.

Coach Team Wins/Year

C.M. Maxwell Dixie Heights 500 in 2009

Herb Hammond Henry Clay 400 in 2009

Jeff Gumm Taylor County 400 in 2009

Greg Gumm North Hardin 400 in 2009

Pat Roesel Ryle 300 in 2009

Keith Galloway Lexington Christian 300 in 2009

Jimmy Hill East Jessamine 200 in 2009

Steve Roof Madison Central 200 in 2009

Mike Johnson Murray 200 in 2009

Rodney McAninch Southwestern 200 in 2009

Paul Morse Danville 200 in 2009

Steve Tompkins Trinity 200 in 2009

Bob Myerhoff Beechwood 200 in 2009

Kerry Harwood Allen County Scottsville 200 in 2009
Herb Hammond will be inducted into the Kentucky High School Baseball Coaches Association's Hall of Fame this weekend, a tribute to his 414 victories, including one region championship and eight district titles, in 17 years as Henry Clay's coach.

But Hammond isn't in the mood to celebrate, not after he was fired as the Blue Devils' coach last week by Fayette County Public Schools Superintendent Stu Silberman.

"It's been miserable and embarrassing," Hammond said. "I feel like my dignity has been stripped."

Hammond said he lost his job because a "disgruntled parent" accused him of trying to recruit his son back to Henry Clay after he had transferred to Lexington Catholic last summer.

But Don Adkins, who oversees athletics for Fayette County's public schools, said there was "substantial evidence" against Hammond, including incriminating e-mail messages, and that "the termination of his coaching duties was in a fair manner."

Henry Clay Principal John Nochta concurred: "Ultimately, it was my decision, and a change in the leadership of our baseball program had to be made."

Bill Hurt, a Lexington attorney, is the parent who accused Hammond of recruiting.

Hurt's son, Will, was Henry Clay's starting shortstop and pitched some as a freshman last year.

A rift developed between Hammond and Bill Hurt last season over what teams Will could play for during the summer. It culminated with the Hurts moving across town and Will transferring to Lexington Catholic.

On Hurt's transfer papers, Henry Clay noted an objection, saying that Hurt was switching schools for athletic purposes, which led the KHSAA to initially rule him ineligible for his sophomore season at Lexington Catholic.

The Hurts appealed that ruling.

Before a hearing officer upheld the KHSAA's ruling, Hammond and Bill Hurt exchanged e-mail messages that led to the recruiting allegation.

Hammond sent Hurt a message saying he wanted to try to "get things right" because "a kid should not have to sit out a year of his high school eligibility because of adult disagreements."

Hammond didn't explain in that message that he envisioned a scenario in which Will Hurt could re-enroll at Henry Clay during the Christmas break and be eligible to play for the Devils this spring.

Bill Hurt said he thought Hammond was saying that Henry Clay would drop its objection to the transfer, which would clear the way for the KHSAA to rule his son eligible.

In a follow-up e-mail — the smoking gun that ultimately got him fired — Hammond detailed how Will Hurt could be able to return to Henry Clay and play as a sophomore. That's when the feathers hit the fan.

Bill Hurt sent Hammond a message accusing him of recruiting his son. "The rule against recruiting is perhaps Fayette Co.'s and the KHSAA's most fundamental athletic rule. It's incomprehensible that you would violate it so openly and blatantly," Hurt wrote.

Bylaw 10 in the KHSAA handbook prohibits coaches from trying to influence prospective athletes to enroll in their school.

Hurt also chastised Hammond for e-mailing Lexington Catholic Coach Kevin Clary soon after his son had switched schools, asking Clary to "do the right thing" and not play Will even if he were eligible.

Hammond admitted he did that, saying he told Clary it would be a "dignity check" for the Knights' program.

"Frankly," Bill Hurt wrote, "it's beyond my comprehension that any person who works with kids would attempt to intimidate another coach for the purpose of preventing a child from playing baseball, even where the kid is ruled to be completely eligible."

That's when Bill Hurt contacted school officials to make allegations against Hammond, not just about recruiting, but also violations that had to do with Hammond working with players during the KHSAA's "dead" period.

Hammond admitted he broke a rule about attending a summer game but said he broke no other rules.

While school was out for winter break, Hammond received an e-mail message from Silberman, telling him he was suspended as coach while the allegations were investigated.

Three weeks later, Silberman met with Hammond and fired him.
Fayette County, meanwhile, dropped its objection to Hurt's transfer, and the KHSAA ruled him eligible to play at Lexington Catholic this season.

Bill Hurt said he hasn't talked to anybody at Henry Clay, Fayette County or the KHSAA recently, "so I don't have any idea what the actual basis was for" Hammond being fired.

KHSAA Commissioner Brigid DeVries, in her final report that ruled Hurt eligible, said the "evidence of the e-mails casts doubt on the credibility" of Hammond's testimony, "and calls into question whether or not the original objection of Henry Clay was a valid objection."

Hammond said his dismissal by Silberman didn't take into account what he's done at Henry Clay the last 17 years.

"I've poured my heart and soul into that program," he said. "There was no sensitivity to that."

Hammond said he intends to keep teaching at Henry Clay. As for coaching, he said, he might look elsewhere, outside Fayette County.

Coincidentally, Will Hurt's grandfather, Bill Hurt, was Henry Clay's principal for 18 years before he retired in 1989.

http://www.kentucky.com/813/story/1094617.html
Strikeout King Wrote:A rift developed between Hammond and Bill Hurt last season over what teams Will could play for during the summer.[/url]

This happens in other schools as well. I think a kid's summer and decision with whom to play during the summer is his own, especially if the kid isn't happy during the high school season. I'm not trying to take anything away from coach Hammond, as I don't know the details, but I do know about others. JMO
Herb emotionally accepted his HOF award but never alluded to the incident during his speach.

That didn't keep the incident from being referenced, pretty negatively IMO, in the Rules update that followed the HOF lunch.