Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floyd County Champions - 80's & 90's & 00's Anyone?
The coach at Wayland was Johnny Case! He was a legend in the middle school coaching ranks. He was also the principal at Wayland from 1969 (Wayland was a high school until 1972) until 1985 when he retired. He wore me out with a paddle more than once! Don't get wrong I loved and respected the man! I deserved every lick!!!! HE WAS A MAN'S MAN!!!! I know he won the county tournament twice while at Wayland and Frankie Pack, who coached at Wayland after Johnny Case, won it at least once. Johnny Case also coached at garrett and stone coal before coming to Wayland and may have won the county tournament a couple of more times with those schools --- not sure though!
That's what I was told. Hayes Hamilton and Ed Taylor talked very very highly of this man. Like I said, Ed rated him the #1 middle school coach of all-time in his opinion. Rady, I bet u can guess #'s 2,3, and 4 also. I will pm you later if u want to know. I was hoping to put Ed's program out next yr. for the county or District tournament. Ed was also a legend as a sports reporter in our area over the years.
Don't know if it's true or not, but I've always heard Johnny Case won several county tournaments @ Stone Coal Elementary School when the tournament was played during the day, outside, on a dirt court because no one had a gym in those days. I do know for a fact he began teaching in the early 40's and didn't retire until 1985 @ Wayland.

Here are some names I would guess that should be on the list Hayes Hamilton @ JMS, Jimmy Hopkins @ Martin, David "Moose" Mosley @ Allen, Ronnie Patton @ Wayland, Duff & ACMS, and a name many may not remember Neil Watson from Garrett.
92 or 93 was Stumbo also, I know they had a Newsome and a Rogers kid.
81-82 JMS Gary Blankinship,Keith Newman,Dwayne Kidd,Davy Mitchell,Jeff Hall,Big Earl Newsome lost to Wayland in finals.80-81 Stumbo won with Levi Hamilton I think.
coachatwesley Wrote:That's what I was told. Hayes Hamilton and Ed Taylor talked very very highly of this man. Like I said, Ed rated him the #1 middle school coach of all-time in his opinion. Rady, I bet u can guess #'s 2,3, and 4 also. I will pm you later if u want to know. I was hoping to put Ed's program out next yr. for the county or District tournament. Ed was also a legend as a sports reporter in our area over the years.

Ed was absolutely a legend sports reporting in this area. Ed got out and covered every area of Floyd County when he work for Floyd County Times. He did not just report on one team or one area, Ed hit the roads. He covered Auxier to Wheelwright from Wayland to Betsy Layne, he truly reported sports for our entire area. The Floyd County Times sports section has never been the same since his departure. They have not had anyone with the passion for our area youth sports and willingness to put in the hours on the road and at the games that Ed Taylor did.
In the 89 season it was jms ang p-burg.jms had Jason Newsome,Chad Frasure,Shannon Newsome, Derrick Newsome,Stevie Johnson...I think they won it but i could be wrong,anyway it was avery close game
In 85 JMS Defeated Wayland at McDowell. JMS was 27-0 and only trailed once at Halftime that whole season. That had a ten man rotation that was untouchable.