Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for Tubby to leave?
What has he proven? He has not had a Final Four appearance with a team of his own, was given a Pitino gift-wrapped National Championship, and is showing us this season that his recruiting is not up to par.

Should we start thinking about getting rid of Tubby?
Tubby is a good coach BUT he can't recruit. I think it's time to find someone to recruit for him but keep Tubby. He's one of the best coaches in college basketball.
No
"alfus21" Wrote:No

YES, I would like to see a guy from Florida come back home to Kentucky!

:Hammer3: :Hungry: :Hammer3:
No
Tubby is a great coach and get's the best of his players, however the players he has been recruiting isn't up to par. As a matter a fact he is a terrible recruiter. UK will not be the same unless Rick comes back to town....
"Charlie" Wrote:Tubby is a great coach and get's the best of his players, however the players he has been recruiting isn't up to par. As a matter a fact he is a terrible recruiter. UK will not be the same unless Rick comes back to town....

Well I guess UK would never be the same, because Rick Pitino is never coming back to Lexington to coach the Cats.....

Last year people praised Tubby for his great recruiting by getting all of those All-Americans in here...Who knew they wouldn't be producing right now? Plus Tubby can't help that Azabuike and Morris declared for the draft early...If they were still there then this is a completely different team...
Tubby needs to go back to the smaller schools that he was better at. Ever since he's taken over the program, the team started at the top and was went nowhere but downhill. Kentucky needs a fresh face.
"Tomcat68" Wrote:Tubby needs to go back to the smaller schools that he was better at. Ever since he's taken over the program, the team started at the top and was went nowhere but downhill. Kentucky needs a fresh face.

He had a couple of down years with 10 loss seasons but then built the program right back up in 2003 up until this season....

But since there are so many great coaches available who do you suggest Kentucky brings in?
I say keep tubby and IM about Positive that the university is going to keep him for a long time
"alfus21" Wrote:Last year people praised Tubby for his great recruiting by getting all of those All-Americans in here...Who knew they wouldn't be producing right now? Plus Tubby can't help that Azabuike and Morris declared for the draft early...If they were still there then this is a completely different team...

Exactly....
"alfus21" Wrote:Last year people praised Tubby for his great recruiting by getting all of those All-Americans in here...Who knew they wouldn't be producing right now? Plus Tubby can't help that Azabuike and Morris declared for the draft early...If they were still there then this is a completely different team...

Great point!
I should also add that people should quit complaining about Tubby just because UK isn't playing so well right now. Somebody always takes the blame for losing. Sometimes people blame a certain player, sometimes people blame the athletic director, management, etc., sometimes the coach is blamed. In this case it's the coach that's taking the blame. It is true sometimes that whoever people are blaming is the problem, but in this case is not.

Tubby may not be as good of a coach as Pitino was, but he is still a great coach and I'm glad he is at UK. They were in this exact same position in 2002 (6-3, and two of their three losses came against unranked teams), and they ended up going 32-4. Of course, just because that happened three years ago doesn't mean that will happen this year. But I'm sure Tubby will get this team playing better soon.
Tubby needs to leave asap he cant recruit he cant really coach i mean rick had the kick em while there down coaching style as for tubby well....... he gets up by 10 and puts the backups in and lets the other team get back in it and most of the time the opppsition stays on fire
"AshlandTcat06" Wrote:I should also add that people should quit complaining about Tubby just because UK isn't playing so well right now. Somebody always takes the blame for losing. Sometimes people blame a certain player, sometimes people blame the athletic director, management, etc., sometimes the coach is blamed. In this case it's the coach that's taking the blame. It is true sometimes that whoever people are blaming is the problem, but in this case is not.

Tubby may not be as good of a coach as Pitino was, but he is still a great coach and I'm glad he is at UK. They were in this exact same position in 2002 (6-3, and two of their three losses came against unranked teams), and they ended up going 32-4. Of course, just because that happened three years ago doesn't mean that will happen this year. But I'm sure Tubby will get this team playing better soon.

I hear ya. I'm tired of the whining as well. As I mentioned in another post where I mentioned in a post prior to that, Tubby didn't go 2-27 from 3 the other night. If some of those fall, especially early, it's a different game. Just because UK had an off night doesn't mean they're going to get blown out every game. And I must add, they're not going to WIN every game!
No I think he should stay.
So sick of this crap year in and year out. We go .500 or below even once then OK let's hear it until then everyone needs to stop the crying.

Billy D. as a replacement come on show me anything that he has done better than Tubby. Some people want to say recruiting we'll he's had the same trouble that Tubby has had. Players in trouble with the law, school and don't forget those that walked away in the middle of the season but unlike Crawford didn't come back. Billy D. is a good coach but no matter what people think he's not Pitino. He can try to dress like him, try to have his teams play similar and even leave a team (MARSHALL) while telling them he's staying just like Ricky but he's no Pitino.

If Morris doesn't screw up and Buike stays this current 2nd year class would be all the talk especially next year. We'll now with Morris coming back next year they could just be that but no one will remember how they were calling Tubby a terrible recruiter.

Tighten up our belts, stick your heads back up high and support this team and coach even when they're down and not just when you want to ride the wagon.
Anyone who says Billy Donavon should be the next UK coach should lose instant credibility when it comes to UK sports.
Tubby will be around for a few more years, and I think he is a great coach.:wenumber1
Couldn't agree more PHS
We should know the status of Smith in the next year or so
We know now he has a long term contract and will leave only when he's ready. UK won't fire Smith you can put that out of your head.
Ok he's been at UK for what? 8 years now? He's got a winning record, and he's been to the tournament every year..

I don't know if he should go or not, but personally I would like to see someone else come in.. and NOT Billy D.

I would love to see Pitino come back, but that probably won't happen. Coach K. That would be like a dream come true. Hell I'd like to see old Roy Williams come coach lol.. Now I doubt that any of those three are goin to be at UK anytime soon, so why don't someone call Nolan Richardson.

Anyways, Tubby is a College Basketball coach. he knows that these recruits are probably coming to UK for the attention they can recieve. Thinking they'll get a better chance at going pro. So Tubby needs to help them learn that most of them aren't good enough to join the draft after a good freshman year. He also needs to do some background checks on some of the players to see what kind of attitude they have..

This shouldn't be all left up to him, he has a staff that could help out.. I think something needs to be done, or it could be another 40 years before we see a national championship again.
"AshlandTcat06" Wrote:I should also add that people should quit complaining about Tubby just because UK isn't playing so well right now. Somebody always takes the blame for losing. Sometimes people blame a certain player, sometimes people blame the athletic director, management, etc., sometimes the coach is blamed. In this case it's the coach that's taking the blame. It is true sometimes that whoever people are blaming is the problem, but in this case is not.

I will let you know that I have never posted anything good about him! I have never liked him at UK! I didn't just start this because of their record so far! I have always said that he won his biggest game ever with Rick's team! It will never happen again if he remains in Kentucky!

He is some :dump: !
"crazytaxidriver" Wrote:Ok he's been at UK for what? 8 years now? He's got a winning record, and he's been to the tournament every year..

I don't know if he should go or not, but personally I would like to see someone else come in.. and NOT Billy D.

I would love to see Pitino come back, but that probably won't happen. Coach K. That would be like a dream come true. Hell I'd like to see old Roy Williams come coach lol.. Now I doubt that any of those three are goin to be at UK anytime soon, so why don't someone call Nolan Richardson.

Anyways, Tubby is a College Basketball coach. he knows that these recruits are probably coming to UK for the attention they can recieve. Thinking they'll get a better chance at going pro. So Tubby needs to help them learn that most of them aren't good enough to join the draft after a good freshman year. He also needs to do some background checks on some of the players to see what kind of attitude they have..

This shouldn't be all left up to him, he has a staff that could help out.. I think something needs to be done, or it could be another 40 years before we see a national championship again.

Now why do you not like Billy D? He has a style more like Rick!

:beer:
Plain and simple if Rick is such a good coach and Tubby won the championship with his players then why did Pitino blow it with the same players the year before?
Ahh. he just ircks me for some reason.. I like his style of play, just something about him I don't know lol...
"CatDawg" Wrote:Plain and simple if Rick is such a good coach and Tubby won the championship with his players then why did Pitino blow it with the same players the year before?

Anderson was out hurt!!!!!!!!!!

:moon:
Wrong my friend. He was back and was declared able to play but Pitino didn't want to play him because he had NBA workouts the next week and he was afraid he could possibly get injuried and hurt his chances. If you know so much about UK you would know that he entered the game and hit two free throws in the game. Pitino even admitted later it was a mistake just like the one he made against DUKE in 1992. I know UK BASKETBALL.
"CatDawg" Wrote:Wrong my friend. He was back and was declared able to play but Pitino didn't want to play him because he had NBA workouts the next week and he was afraid he could possibly get injuried and hurt his chances. If you know so much about UK you would know that he entered the game and hit two free throws in the game. Pitino even admitted later it was a mistake just like the one he made against DUKE in 1992. I know UK BASKETBALL.

I disagree with what you are saying! He was out of the game based on an injury not because he was going to the NBA! That is crazy! Yes maybe he could have played that game but no way was he 100%! That team was built around him and you know it! That was the reason that they lost! It was a good game without him but UK needed him to get the title that year!

That would be reinjured not injured!