Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Co 69 Shelby Valley 66
mahb7878 Wrote:That is not even a close comparison. Wilson is a solid player, but not E. Justice good...

He is a solid player, but I expected a little more out of him offensively from what I had heard. He played some great defense though. He is long and quick. To me CC didn't have a "best player". They had a lot of players capable of stepping up and making the big play. Wilson is definitely one of those, though.
CC is one of the most athletic teams I have seen. I think they are a big post player away from being the best in the state. I thought CC was just better tonight. The difference in the ball game was CC got a lot of uncontested looks due to good ball movement against the zone. SV never quit. The gym was rockin. I will say this. SV will not win the state tournament playing zone.
mahb7878 Wrote:That is not even a close comparison. Wilson is a solid player, but not E. Justice good...

I dont know what game you watched but that kid is legit. The way he ran his team and played. He was the difference and to say he wasn't close to EJ is crazy. He may have been the best player on the floor tonight.
I really thought coming into this that CC would start off slow, but they didn't. They found the holes in the 2-3 zone defense and made their shots. Lewis was automatic for 'em from the corner. Hickey done a great job at getting into the lane and finding the open man. CC was a lot better than the team I seen at the state tournament last season. Like someone else mentioned above, they are very well coached.

I didn't notice anything wrong with either Justice or Hatfield. They both looked fine to me and I don't believe EJ even sit a second of this game. Fact is Valley missed a lot of open shots, including layups. They also didn't convert from the free throw line. Mostly because of how long and athletic the Colonels where.

Congrats Colonels!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I really thought coming into this that CC would start off slow, but they didn't. They found the holes in the 2-3 zone defense and made their shots. Lewis was automatic for 'em from the corner. Hickey done a great job at getting into the lane and finding the open man. CC was a lot better than the team I seen at the state tournament last season. Like someone else mentioned above, they are very well coached.

I didn't notice anything wrong with either Justice or Hatfield. They both looked fine to me and I don't believe EJ even sit a second of this game. Fact is Valley missed a lot of open shots, including layups. They also didn't convert from the free throw line. Mostly because of how long and athletic the Colonels where.

Congrats Colonels!

He didn't.

SV did miss a lot of open shots under the basket.
5timechamp Wrote:Im not going to get into whether this proves whether SV is top tier team or not because I think the players believe they are. A few thoughts from the game.

CC
1. very fast from end to end caught SV a little off gaurd at first.
2. Great coach...the foul at the end to keep Justice from trying to tie it with a 3 was a very heads up call.
3. This team is very competitive and game for anything. Valleys house was rocking and CC never blinked.
4. CC was everything I thought but one thing I did not expect was how well they shot the 3. I dont know what their % was but had to be very high. # 3 for CC not sure about the name but he lit it up and literally could not miss. SV continued to give him open looks by gambling to much out of their 2-3 zone. I will say it again this kid was on fire.

SV
1. FREE THROWS FREE THROWS FREE THROWS
2. Justice played a solid game I think he had one turnover and Im sure Dorton Wildcat will give us the final numbers. He got to the rim anytime he wanted and was maybe to passive at times tonight.
3. OUTCOACHED and that is all I will say about that.
4. The 3 ball wasnt going down but that happens.
5. The game slipped away with about 1:40 to go every poor free throw shooter CC had dribbled around and killed about 40 seconds so we could eventually foul their best player at least on this night.

All in all great game and very fun to watch. My hats go off to CC as they won the game and deserved it. My heart goes out to Justice as he will replay that free throw until he gets his feet wet at the ALL A.

I was thinking SV was 13-19 from the line and CC was 15-21. Not sure if that is exactly right, though.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:He is a solid player, but I expected a little more out of him offensively from what I had heard. He played some great defense though. He is long and quick. To me CC didn't have a "best player". They had a lot of players capable of stepping up and making the big play. Wilson is definitely one of those, though.

I agree with you 100% thats why I don't think the loss of Wilson effected them too much, yea I am sure there was some effect but they have a lot of guys who can do alot of the same things all over the court. On the other hand if a team like SV god forbid loses a guy like Justice it would be a HUGE blow.
Just what I expected. If this game was played elsewhere I'm sure it wouldn't have been so close. The defensive pressure from CC was great. IMO Hickey done a good job on Elisha. This also goes to show everyone of the valley faithful that there are better teams in the state than Shelby Valley. I think that maybe valley should have scheduled a game or two more against teams from down state. Good game by both teams though.
hootie Wrote:I dont know what game you watched but that kid is legit. The way he ran his team and played. He was the difference and to say he wasn't close to EJ is crazy. He may have been the best player on the floor tonight.

All I am saying is in an earlier post someone mentioned Wilson not playing vs Mason co and EC was the difference in those games. I agree him not playing hurt, but it wasn't the sole reason why CC lost. He is a very good player and I am not discounting that one bit at all. However CC losing Wilson would not do anywhere near the damage as SV losing a player like Justice.
Amazing game. One of the best high school games I have ever seen. Both teams showed some great athletic ability and some great sportsmanship. Very Very impressed with Christian County. Any time the momentum in the game swayed, it seemed that CC got a man open and drained a big time three. Clutch shooting and great speed won the game for CC. Valley showed some holes in the defense but for the most part the pressing d that allows for most of their points never took full effect because of the missed shots. Valley got taken out of their style of defense and in the half court could not keep up with CC's speed....for the most part. I would still say that these are EXTREMELY close teams... and would not be suprised to see a rematch somewhere in the sweet 16. Great game all around in a Kentucky basketball classic.
mister... basketball Wrote:Just what I expected. If this game was played elsewhere I'm sure it wouldn't have been so close. The defensive pressure from CC was great. IMO Hickey done a good job on Elisha. This also goes to show everyone of the valley faithful that there are better teams in the state than Shelby Valley. I think that maybe valley should have scheduled a game or two more against teams from down state. Good game by both teams though.

And now all **** will probably break loose. & to the bolded, I think it would of been close wherever they played at.
All i can say is wow. CC really impressed me tonight and great games by both teams. Seemed like Hatfield was a little on the tired side. Maybe his back injury is still bothering him. Justice could not hit the shots he usually makes but as always no one on CC could keep him in front of them. And Booher was out-coached. I watched CC's coach all night and he never said one word to a ref even when they make those questionable traveling calls on CC towards the end. This game helps Valley more than it hurts them. Its better to be beat by this team than to blow out Phelps or some team like that.
mister... basketball Wrote:Just what I expected. If this game was played elsewhere I'm sure it wouldn't have been so close. The defensive pressure from CC was great. IMO Hickey done a good job on Elisha. This also goes to show everyone of the valley faithful that there are better teams in the state than Shelby Valley. I think that maybe valley should have scheduled a game or two more against teams from down state. Good game by both teams though.

Not one player guarded Elisha. CC played a 2-3 and Elisha got a clean shot off any time he wanted, its just that a lot didn't fall. He's not the greatest shooter and that used to be his REAL weak spot in his game. But over the past two seasons he's become a very respectable shooter.

Did Hickey even guard Elisha? I'm pretty sure #5 and Wilson were the ones who guarded Elisha (when they played man).

I think we all know there are better teams in the state, but we also know SV can compete with all of them.

This site really needs a mute button.
5timechamp Wrote:Im not going to get into whether this proves whether SV is top tier team or not because I think the players believe they are. A few thoughts from the game.

CC
1. very fast from end to end caught SV a little off gaurd at first.
2. Great coach...the foul at the end to keep Justice from trying to tie it with a 3 was a very heads up call.
3. This team is very competitive and game for anything. Valleys house was rocking and CC never blinked.
4. CC was everything I thought but one thing I did not expect was how well they shot the 3. I dont know what their % was but had to be very high. # 3 for CC not sure about the name but he lit it up and literally could not miss. SV continued to give him open looks by gambling to much out of their 2-3 zone. I will say it again this kid was on fire.

SV
1. FREE THROWS FREE THROWS FREE THROWS
2. Justice played a solid game I think he had one turnover and Im sure Dorton Wildcat will give us the final numbers. He got to the rim anytime he wanted and was maybe to passive at times tonight.
3. OUTCOACHED and that is all I will say about that.
4. The 3 ball wasnt going down but that happens.
5. The game slipped away with about 1:40 to go every poor free throw shooter CC had dribbled around and killed about 40 seconds so we could eventually foul their best player at least on this night.

All in all great game and very fun to watch. My hats go off to CC as they won the game and deserved it. My heart goes out to Justice as he will replay that free throw until he gets his feet wet at the ALL A.
#3 For CC was Lewis, ended with 23, I think and made several 3's, we might have been concentrating on Wilson and Hickey and let Lewis have a field day. PCC better get on him tomorrrow night. I thought Hickey was good and he and Justice had a battle, I thought Hatfield outplayed Wilson but that man Lewis killed us. At the end of the game I think we were down 6 and Elisha made a huge 3 that enabled us to get close enough to make his free throws so important, I think he scored 5 pts in the last minute or was it 7? At any rate it was a team loss and better things are ahead. Go SV
Looks like Brian Milam's #1 team in the state got beat.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Looks like Brian Milam's #1 team in the state got beat.

Unless I missed it, I don't think Milam declared SV #1 in the state. I think he was just stating that they were ranked #1 in a certain poll.
Lol see u all can't stand it when someone doesn't worship Elisha. I'm sorry but as I stated before, he is not the second coming of Jesus. He's a great player but he's not perfect. Looks like somebody capitalized on his weakness. Say what u want but tonight valley was played by a good team. I also think that this goes back to what I said earlier in the season. Losing two big men hurt valley alot, IMO if they had the size they did last year this game probably would have went in valleys favor.
Congrats CC

Sounds like it was a Heck Of A Game!!!!
House Wrote:Unless I missed it, I don't think Milam declared SV #1 in the state. I think he was just stating that they were ranked #1 in a certain poll.

Here's a post that was made on this forum after the WYMT championship game....evidently I wasn't the only one that heard it.

'I forgot to ask, but why on the tv broadcast did Brian Milam say numerous times that shelby valley was #1 in the state? He said it like 10 times, like "knott has comeback from 20 against the #1 team in the state". if shelby valley is #1 in the state then I guess im better then Kobe Bryant'
I was reading this post and couldn't help but put my two cents in.
First off, valley was outcoached, obviously. The zone defense valley runs will not work againt a team like CC. and letting CC run 40 seconds off with 1:40 to go... not smart.
Second off, I think CC hustled more. They fought harder to get the ball and harder to keep it. Though i'm not sure of the turnover ratio. Granted CC did get a little over-aggressive (not sure if anyone else caught this) at points, and in a well-reffed game would've gotten them into trouble (same applies to varney from SV)
But overall a great game, some well-needed competition for SV. I do think that on another court, with a 100% ashley, and a SV that will 'bang the board', valley would've came out on top by 5-8 points.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Here's a post that was made on this forum after the WYMT championship game....evidently I wasn't the only one that heard it.

'I forgot to ask, but why on the tv broadcast did Brian Milam say numerous times that shelby valley was #1 in the state? He said it like 10 times, like "knott has comeback from 20 against the #1 team in the state". if shelby valley is #1 in the state then I guess im better then Kobe Bryant'

He also stated that the ranking was according to the Litkenhous ratings.
mister... basketball Wrote:Lol see u all can't stand it when someone doesn't worship Elisha. I'm sorry but as I stated before, he is not the second coming of Jesus. He's a great player but he's not perfect. Looks like somebody capitalized on his weakness. Say what u want but tonight valley was played by a good team. I also think that this goes back to what I said earlier in the season. Losing two big men hurt valley alot, IMO if they had the size they did last year this game probably would have went in valleys favor.

**** of a game for someone to have capitalized on his weakness and he still dropped 18 on them.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Here's a post that was made on this forum after the WYMT championship game....evidently I wasn't the only one that heard it.

At the time of the WYMT Classic the Courier-Journal had SV ranked #1 in their Litkenhous Ratings.

That's why Milam said SV was #1.
Does anyone know the rebounding or turnover stats? It appeared to me that Christian County had a decent advantage on the boards, and neither team really had many turnovers. I thought CC's ability to get to loose balls made a difference in the game... Christian County has a very good team with good versatility. It's easy to see why they have played well against the top teams in the state...
First off i want to congratulate both Taylor and Ashley on 500 career rebounds.

Valley had plenty of chances to win this game tonight but just didnt show up. I dont know if i have ever seen them miss so many easy shots under the goal mainly in the first quarter. IMO they come out a little to fired up tonight and that cost them probably the game. Yes EJ had a chance to tie it up but i dont think that cost them the game if you think about it. A couple of easy lay ups missed or it was right before the half or the end of the 3rd quarter Valley threw away the inbounds pass and a layup for CC. There was just to many easy missed opportunities tonight for them. But Valley is a great team and will still make a good run. You cant win them all. Christian Co. is a great team and Valley has nothing to be ashamed of. Keep your heads up and go repeat as all A champs. This was a very exciting game to watch and congrats to CC on a hard fought win.
5timechamp Wrote:When CC lost those games they had some players out with injury. Since then they beat Scott Co. at Scott and took Holmes to OT at Holmes. Trust me this is a very very good team.
What are you talking about? CC has not played Scott Co?
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Looks like Brian Milam's #1 team in the state got beat.
Looks like this Shelby Valley loss made someone from Hazard very happy,LOL.
what about wendall allen's two phantom walks on Christian towards the end that gave SV a fighting chance