•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold Backs
"m00se" Wrote:No, they gave me the option of holding back a year so I could get in another years with of basketball. They used maturity as a cover-up.
If you had the chance to go back, would you still have been held back if it was up to you?
:graduate: :Hammer3: Maturity or not, who wants to stay a year longer in high school? For any reason?

:Wave:
I agree with smoothie, that is about one of the dumbest coments u could say
An Just to carlify something Lebron was not 17 when he graduated he was 19
He is 22 right now and been in the pros for three yrs
That makes him 19 when he graduated
Get your facts straight next time Choosen 1
Holding back ..... well right or wrong alot of people are doing it . it gives them another year to mature and . trust me every parent wants there son to score a extra 10 points a game and go to college and be a star. its kinda like drugs there so many people doing it ,theres really not alot can be done .
"The Chosen 1" Wrote:Hold Backs are a discrace, just shows how society has changed. Parents that do this have no morals.

You need to read your quotes before you post them.

You are stating that if a kid is a holdback, that he/she is a disgrace????

I don't see anything wrong with it. If parents or kids want to stay back to play sports, mature socially, mature physically, help them academically or just stay home with their family another year then that's their prerogative. Everyone has the chance to do it with their own kid.

Anyway, by the time they get up to high school the one year advantage almost evens out.

What kind of name is "The Chosen 1"??????????

I'm not judging:no:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urnConfusedchemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
First off, I disagree with holding a child back purely for sports. My reasoning behind this is that it gives a child the wrong idea about real life. When they are introduced to the real world they then find out the hard way that life is uncertain. You are not on a level playing field and you are not given an advantage over others. It is an earned comodity, such as, a college education. No one is going to walk up and say, "Here ya go, old buddy, old pal, have a college education. Don't work a minimum wage job the rest of your life." If anyone gets an advantage in the real world , it is earned not given. Holding a child back gives that child an unfair advantage of a years growth and experience and deprives other children of play time , well deserved just because they are as deserving as any other. Teach our children facts not fiction. When they find out later in life that you were teaching them for their own good , then they will appreciate it!!! The truth being spoken , very few and far between, will ever see pro sports, however, if GOD is willing, they will all become adults having to survive in a very unforgiving world. Then it will matter very much..........
I agree with holding a child back. You are not mature enough at 17 no matter what you may think.
[quote author=The Chosen 1 link=topic=15462.msg186775#msg186775 date=1140279208]
&quot;wildcat fan&quot; Wrote:I disagree with holding a child back to play sports. First of all I think it gives the kid the impression that sports is more important than academics. In this day and time kids mature fast anyways so getting held back for maturity reasons is a bunch of crap. All it boils down to is the parents think that if they hold their kid back 2 years in grade school that when they get to high school that they will be a basketball star. Besides when these holdbacks play middleschool ball and beat teams that don't have holdbacks then in my opinion there really isn't no accomplishment what to they do go around and they brag they beat a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds. I think that holding your child back to play sports is totally wrong, and thats the only reason these kids get held back because what parent in their right mind would hold back a kid with good grades.

Hold Backs are a discrace, just shows how society has changed. Parents that do this have no morals.
[/quote]
&quot;Parents who hold back their children are a disgrace&quot;???? You have absolutely no grounds nor the right to judge parents in this manner.&nbsp; Each situation is based on an individual and their progress and performance.&nbsp; If a child is held back, even if it is mainly for sports, it is the choice of the child and that parent.&nbsp; I think your statement is a very rude and hateful comment that CANNOT be made to every parent that makes a decision such as this one. Until you are placed in a situation where you have to make this hard decision, you have no right to make such a comment.&nbsp; And perhaps you feel it is wrong to hold back a child for sports reasons and you think it teaches them the wrong values.&nbsp; But most of the time your athletes are your better individuals.&nbsp; they aren't the ones on drugs and doing things that they aren't suppose to be doing.&nbsp; (And if they are they are normally removed from the team.) Your athletes are you good kids.&nbsp; That believe in hard work and keeping their noses clean.&nbsp; So, i feel holding back a child for sports reasons is a judgment call and can only help a child and give him more time to mature both mentally and physically.&nbsp; And if doing this helps get them closer to that free ride to college, then how can that be bad!!!!!!
  Hold backs usually play up.  They play against kids that are older than them.  The ones I know who are 15 and playing high school ball are playing against 19 year olds and holding their own or better.  It is uaually the kids that can play that stay back for that extra year.  They love the game and their parents want them at home.  It is their choice, and nobody elses. They usually are very good students.  The ones I know have a 4.0. So take care of your business and let everybody else take care of theirs.
i see nothing wrong with hold backs. it gives you more time to mature. gives you a better education. so what if a parent does it for sport purposes. those things will still be included and wheter you like it or not you have no part in the decision it is between the parent and the child ONLY. i am in the 8th grade and i am not a hold back. i play sports with holdbacks they may do better than me but the only thing it does for me is it makes me work harder so i can play at there level which i think will benfit me ( if anyone can tell me why it doesn't tell me i will need a good laugh  :clapSmile  so i think it will benfit almost everyone the people i think it will not benfit is the ones who whin about it and do nothing else
[quote author=overtime link=topic=15462.msg214438#msg214438 date=1142895979]
&nbsp; Hold backs usually play up.&nbsp; They play against kids that are older than them.&nbsp; The ones I know who are 15 and playing high school ball are playing against 19 year olds and holding their own or better.&nbsp; It is uaually the kids that can play that stay back for that extra year.&nbsp; They love the game and their parents want them at home.&nbsp; It is their choice, and nobody elses. They usually are very good students.&nbsp; The ones I know have a 4.0. So take care of your business and let everybody else take care of theirs.
[/quote]

I know of one from Dorton that plays up.&nbsp; The ones from Virgie, they just play the middle school.&nbsp; Why hold back to play against people younger than you are.&nbsp; If they all played up, then I could see it, but not to play against players younger...
I don't beleive in it
2 bad! Rolleyes
People I Can't Beleive This Is Still An Issue. It's Not Agaisnt The Rules To Hold A Child Back As Long As They Are Of Legal Age Their Senior Year. The Way I See It Is It's Your Own Fault, As A Parent, For Not Taking Advantage (or Being Too Naive) Of The Rules.

It's Not A Question Of Holding A Child Back, It's A Question Of People Letting Their Kids Graduate From School Too Early.

Like Earl Pitts Would Say "Wake Up America"
I have to say, I agree with Don Coleni. Wake up America. It is ok for all other high school students to graduate at the young age of 17 unless your dad is a middle school basketball coach and you are a middle school athlete then you shouldnt graduate untill you are the ripe old age of 19.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Everyone has the choice, to stay back or not. It has nothing to do with who your dad is, or isn't. It has everything to do with being ready to be on your own.
Let me throw this at you guys.... say you have a child who has a 4.0 and scores ALL distinguished on the CATS test done at the end of the school year. The parents ASKS for the child to be held back but the school personnel say no. The parents get upset and TRANSFER him to a school who WILL hold them back even with the grades and test scores. What is your input on this type of situtation?? Should they be held back? Should they be allowed to transfer them JUST to hold them back for athletics? You know if the grades are a 4.0 it has to be for athletic reasons. and OH... before this there were NO problems what so ever at the school between the parents and faculty. The child had many friends and did very well both in the classroom and out.
Has this happened to you, and if so, what did you do? Most people don't run into so many problems, and lose friends and all. They just repeat a grade and move on. It is their choice and it is legal.
Nope.... didn't happen to ME personally but did happen at a local school in my area. Personally, my opinion is with MY own child is, I am not going to hold him back for sports be it football, basketball, or baseball. He makes straight A's and has made NOTHING other than straight A's. I do not want to make him repeat a grade that he has completed with this type of grades. I do feel that each person has the right to do with their own child as they wish. Myself, I would not hold one of mine back. Others can if that is what they prefer to do. Basically, I feel that it is a personal decision between the student, parents, and school faculty. IF a question comes up about the child being eligible to play at another school depending upon transfer time then that is a matter for higher up. I say, to each his own!!!:popcorn:
Maybe your child is able to handle the world like it is today at the age of 17. Maybe your child is not as good at sports as some are. Some kids play up and it gives them an extra year to play. The ones I know have not been disadvantaged in any way by staying back. They are playing up and doing quite well. They will be more mature when they graduate and will still get a good education.
UH... my child is 11 years old and in the 6th grade!!! (Not been held back either Big Grin) AND.... I didn't say that it was a disadvantage did I?? I just said that it was a personal choice that I have made concerning my OWN child... and I just gave an example of a situtation that occured locally here.... Sorry if I stated something that was un-understandable!!! Didn't mean to offend!!! :howdy:
and OH... BTW.... my child was 11 years old and QB of his football team and HOW many 11 year olds can throw a football for 43 yards to make a COMPLETE pass?? He also has made All-stars EVERY year thus far... so.... as far as I am concerned..... he is pretty damn good!!!!
The above was a reply to the following quote:

"Maybe your child is not as good at sports as some are."
You said "let me throw this at you guys" and then you gave a situation about a kid with all these problems with holding back. I just said maybe some kids can't play as well as others, which you didn't like at all, and let me know how good your child is. I know nothing about your situation and you know nothing about mine. As you said it is between the parent and the child. We never considered changing schools. So that is not one of our problems. We find holding back a year to be a good decision. You have to do what you have to do, and so does everyone else.
If a child is going to be held back for sports, then just start him or her at an older age. Don't make them have to repeat a grade.
You don't make them. You let them make the choice. If they don't want to stay back then you don't force them too.
Agreed.
3 points Wrote:You said "let me throw this at you guys" and then you gave a situation about a kid with all these problems with holding back. I just said maybe some kids can't play as well as others, which you didn't like at all, and let me know how good your child is. I know nothing about your situation and you know nothing about mine. As you said it is between the parent and the child. We never considered changing schools. So that is not one of our problems. We find holding back a year to be a good decision. You have to do what you have to do, and so does everyone else.

WELL... depending on where you live, you might even know the child that I am referring to in my previous posts. Yeah.. my child is GREAT for his age.... that is MY opinion though. I don't have a problem with people who hold their kids back. I just wanted to see if ANYone on here had an opinion on the situtation that I stated. It was NOT a personal problem for me and really had NOTHING at all to do with me BUT this topic is about hold backs. Heck, I don't care if they graduate until they are 25!!!! Mine won't BUT.... that is each parents choice!!!!
I agree
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next