•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold Backs
I have to disagree with Baskebtallonlyfan on the 2 years of middle school sports. Simply because some middle schools are grades 6-8 and other schools are still K-8. 1 year of participation at each grade level is appropriate. SFMS is the only 7-8 middle school in Floyd County. Or at least the only one I can think of right now.
"WOW" Wrote:I might be a little confused here.

"why let them play up on higher levels?" Not real sure what you mean by this.

Are you suggesting that kids who aren't holdbacks not play if they don't want to play with older kids?

Most middle school teams in Floyd County consist of 7th and 8th grade players. On the average they are 12-13 years old. Some of the 8th graders will turn 14 during the school year. Why should a 12 year old have to compete with a child who will soon be 16?
What i meant was, I believe parents complain to much about hold backs. But their child may be playing a couple levels higher than the average kid his age so what is the problem?
"WOW" Wrote:I have to disagree with Baskebtallonlyfan on the 2 years of middle school sports. Simply because some middle schools are grades 6-8 and other schools are still K-8. 1 year of participation at each grade level is appropriate. SFMS is the only 7-8 middle school in Floyd County. Or at least the only one I can think of right now.

I agree 1 year of participation at each grade level.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:Moose, actually that isnt true. The NBA cant draft 17 or even some 18 or 19 year olds anymore. As far as what I think. I feel like if a kid is in school, and the grades are there, then they should not be held back. Most parents will hold back a child in the 7th grade for sports. The child ends up playing 3 years of middle school sports. Sad but true. I think that if a child gets held back for sports reasons, then the second 7th grade year they should not be allowed to compete. It should be the same as in high school. You should get two years of middle school for sports, and 4 years of high school for sports. If a child got held back for academic reasons, then that child most likely wont be able to play anyways.
My point is (I know the NBA wont draft HS kids anymore): College and Pro recruiters look for skill, they don't care how many times he held back as long they fit criteria and are of the legal age (at least 20 years old and must be out of high school for at least a year).
"ACE" Wrote:I agree 1 year of participation at each grade level.
that not exactly true. A few years back two kids from the Wesley Christian School held back and nothing happened. The next year a kid from the same school, and had to sit out a year as you said, but at Allen Central two players held back and played every single game.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:Moose, actually that isnt true. The NBA cant draft 17 or even some 18 or 19 year olds anymore. As far as what I think. I feel like if a kid is in school, and the grades are there, then they should not be held back. Most parents will hold back a child in the 7th grade for sports. The child ends up playing 3 years of middle school sports. Sad but true. I think that if a child gets held back for sports reasons, then the second 7th grade year they should not be allowed to compete. It should be the same as in high school. You should get two years of middle school for sports, and 4 years of high school for sports. If a child got held back for academic reasons, then that child most likely wont be able to play anyways.

I completely agree.
Okay you guys still haven't told me how it hurts the kid to get held back
you said it hurts the childern that don't?
well if the paretns are not smart enough to do whats best for the kids then ...........
"THE BUS" Wrote:Okay you guys still haven't told me how it hurts the kid to get held back
you said it hurts the childern that don't?
well if the paretns are not smart enough to do whats best for the kids then ...........
Colleges dont care if you are a hold back or not. They mostly look at how you play for your age. They as a college have the chance to red shirt you for a year for maturity. Let the colleges do it instead of the parents who dont have enough confidence in there kids to let them stay where they should be.........

The post that said what Floyd County Middle School policy is. There are players playing their second year as a 7th grader this year. If they are having social or mental problems, they shouldnt be allowed to play. If the reason is because of social problems, let them stay in the stands there second 7th grade year and learn how to socialize.

I can say I think it is bad, because I do. I have a son who anyone in there right mind would say should have been held back in the 7th grade. I know if his mom and I would have, there would not be a player in the eastern part of the state that could have stopped him. The funny part is, we didnt hold him back, he is a year younger than most he playes against even in the freshman games. But as of to date, he still cant be stopped anyways, good players rise up to the challange, not back down from then and use age as an excuse.
I agree..I was a hold back...I think that if your able to play sports whenever you get held back then its great...Theres not that much of a Diffrence...
Parents that are concerned that their children may not be mature enough to be on their own at 17 or 18 need to consider the option of beginning kindergarten a year later. To hold a kid back in the 7th or 8th grade (unless it is for academic reasons) gives him/her the wrong message. School sports are to teach socialization skills, teamwork, and hopefully improve physical fitness. Parents need to remember, and let their kids know, that school is where you go to learn, not just somewhere you hang out till the next NBA draft.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:Colleges dont care if you are a hold back or not. They mostly look at how you play for your age. They as a college have the chance to red shirt you for a year for maturity. Let the colleges do it instead of the parents who dont have enough confidence in there kids to let them stay where they should be.........

The post that said what Floyd County Middle School policy is. There are players playing their second year as a 7th grader this year. If they are having social or mental problems, they shouldnt be allowed to play. If the reason is because of social problems, let them stay in the stands there second 7th grade year and learn how to socialize.

I can say I think it is bad, because I do. I have a son who anyone in there right mind would say should have been held back in the 7th grade. I know if his mom and I would have, there would not be a player in the eastern part of the state that could have stopped him. The funny part is, we didnt hold him back, he is a year younger than most he playes against even in the freshman games. But as of to date, he still cant be stopped anyways, good players rise up to the challange, not back down from then and use age as an excuse.

I totally agree
I've seen it happen plenty of times and I have to disagree with holding kids back.
It gives them an advantage over the people who are rightfully in that grade.
It allows them to play an extra year and get better but playing with other people their age and grade allows them to gain experience.
This would be the same scenario as Michael Jordan versus me one on one. He would gain the playing time, be able to work on plays, dribbling, shooting, etc. but it would not make him a better player experience wise. If there is no competition then you can only improve on minor things.
the main reason i think some kids get held back is to try to win a middle county championship
I somewhat agree with you tribe
but now a days getting held back is not really playing against kids younger then because so many people are doing
you look at the top players majoirty are hold backs
It doesnt matter anyways BUS, at Virgie Middle School, getting held back for sports is a school requirement. Just like taking English, PE and Math. The only thing getting held back in middle school does is just make you a better middle school and freshman player. By the time you get to be a junior and senior, the advantage you had of being held back in the 7th grade is gone. Schools used to be a place to get a education. Not to increase ticket sales for the school during ball season.
Sounds like Basketballonlyfan is jealous of Virgie
I do not support holding kids back for sports! That isn't a good reason at all.

:boo:
I have to agree with Basketballonlyfan on holdbacks having the advantage on the middle school and freshmen level but the playing field seems to level itself back out in high school. I've always been told- you have to play against better players and teams if you want to get better. Playing against weaker opponents doesn't improve your skills.
"THE BUS" Wrote:Sounds like Basketballonlyfan is jealous of Virgie
Nope, not jealous about of valley. That is just the facts. Valley will hold kids back to have a better middle school team. The facts are still the same, by the time you hit your junior and senior year, you dont see kids that was held back being better players than ones who wasnt. Holding back just affects the middle school and freshman teams. Also, if a child has to be held back in middle school to be able to play better than there peers, maybe they should consider a different sport to play or just concentrate on the education part of of the school system. After all, that is the reason for schools anyways, to get a education. If you are a player, you will succeed if you are held back or not. I agree with what others are saying on here. You get better by playing against better players. If you get held back, you are generally playing against younger weaker players untill they get a year or two maturity under there belts.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:Nope, not jealous about of valley. That is just the facts. Valley will hold kids back to have a better middle school team. The facts are still the same, by the time you hit your junior and senior year, you dont see kids that was held back being better players than ones who wasnt. Holding back just affects the middle school and freshman teams. Also, if a child has to be held back in middle school to be able to play better than there peers, maybe they should consider a different sport to play or just concentrate on the education part of of the school system. After all, that is the reason for schools anyways, to get a education. If you are a player, you will succeed if you are held back or not. I agree with what others are saying on here. You get better by playing against better players. If you get held back, you are generally playing against younger weaker players untill they get a year or two maturity under there belts.

I disagree 100%.
Thank you Happy
finally some agrees with me lol
and relizes its best for your kid
I still think it's idiotic to put sports before education.
I think Virgie and Shelby Valley are the perfect arguments against hold backs. You have exceptional middle school teams, above average freshman teams, fair JV teams, and the mediocre varsity teams. By the varsity level there is no longer an age/size advantage because all players have reached a high degree of physical maturity. The reason for Valley's varsity dominance the past few years is no longer a factor. Rodney could have accomplished the same record with or without hold backs.:rock:
TygerLil

The reason Valley had a mediocore Varsity team is because the athletes that were on the exceptional middle school teams does not play at Valley the quit for some reason or another hint hint(THE COACH)
but its not because they all of a sudden lose there talent
i mena sure if u get held back in 7th grade and stop workin on your game then yea u will be good your 8th and freshman year
but if you get held back in 7th and work yoyur butt off like always then your going to be a great high school player
I never said the boys lose their talent. I'm just saying the players who were not held back gain physical maturity to equal that of those who were. They are still talented they just no longer hold the same advantage as before they other players matured.:Nodding:
"THE BUS" Wrote:TygerLil

The reason Valley had a mediocore Varsity team is because the athletes that were on the exceptional middle school teams does not play at Valley the quit for some reason or another hint hint(THE COACH)
but its not because they all of a sudden lose there talent
i mena sure if u get held back in 7th grade and stop workin on your game then yea u will be good your 8th and freshman year
but if you get held back in 7th and work yoyur butt off like always then your going to be a great high school player
i personally think if you get held back you do have an advantage over everyone else
I agree, you have a advantage for a year or two. Only untill the others catch up with you physically. Then the stand out middle school players are just adverage or maybe a little bit more than average. How a player will do depends on how much dedication and heart they have. Of course talent comes into play some too. But the talent isnt because of the hold back. Let the colleges red shirt you a year if you need it. I wonder if the KHSAA passed a rule that if you play more than one year in any grade you sit out a year in high school, middle school included if the parents and coaches in middle school would be so fast to hold someone back??? I bet not...
i agree good post
well i wouldnt hold my child back just for sports. but some kids could use and extra year of maturing!
Just a point to make, South Floyds freshman team beat Valleys freshman team. SF's team does not have any hold backs, how many on Valleys team are hold backs?
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next