Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many people think Taylor Swift is ruining real Country Music
My daughter-in-law who liked Taylor Swift and is 22 didn't agree with my view of Taylor. I spoke with her the other day and the mention of the movie Valentine Day came up, where Taylor plays in the movie. She said she's ready to jump on my bandwagon, she is getting so sick of her. She's everywhere and she's tired of her being thrown in her face. I don't care that she is a country music performer, I'm just saying don't pull all the tricks out of the basket at one time and then nobody's wants to see what's in the basket anymore.
I swear, the more I listen to her, the more I like.
She's definitely not country music though.
Aslan Wrote:I swear, the more I listen to her, the more I like.
She's definitely not country music though.

I would think that being 21 she would appeal to you. I like some of her music also, but I agree with you, I say more is soft rock, or pop.
I have always been a fan of country music. But country music to me is a reflection of the people and their experiences. I would think Taylor Swift's music will mature as she does and gets older. Her music is mostly candy, but it's what she is about. I actually like the song "Fifteen", but that's about it. As far as Kenny Chesny goes, who wouldn't trade for his lifestyle. He writes a lot of the beach music songs becasue after he made bank he could take a lot of those trips. I have always liked him for songs like "The Tin Man". Ole Merle Haggard and "I've been throwing horseshoes, over my left shoulder.....that's the way love goes." is really the epitome of country music. The country genre spans a lot of different types of "country". Jamie Johnson is a fresh voice. He has that, "dont give a darn" attitude that a lot of country fans like. I grew up listening to Don Williams, one of the smoothest voices ever, and Vern Gosdin, who sounded more like a country singer than anyone else. "Is is raining, at your house, like its raining at mine?" You can't beat that. I saw him and Reba back in 1987 in Gatlinburg. Vern Gosdin live sent chills through me. I saw Tim Mcgraw back in 2003 in Charleston, Wva, and i will give him credit. He had no opening act and they played 2 and a half hours. It was good. If you listen to any song, go find Garth Brooks and a song called "Wolves". I believe its on No Fences. It starts out "January's always bitter, but Lord this one beats all....The wind ain't quit for weeks now, and the drifts are ten feet tall....I've spent all night driving heifers, closer in to lower ground....but I just can't help but think about the ones the wolves pulled down"...I think if you put George Jones and Strait and Brooks together and disect their songs, that is what country music is all about.
Buc.slover68- You are 41, I'm 45. I agree that her music is candy or what I call bubble gum music. I grew up listening to Barbra Mandrell singing Sleeping Single in a Double Bed, Charlie Rich, When we Get Behind Closed Doors, Ronnie Milsap, Smokey Mountain Rain. Country Music Story Tellers such as Red Sovine,Teddy Bear, Ray Stevens, The Streak, Conway Twitty and Dolly Parton, and so on. Country music today has basically became in most songs, the soft pop we heard in the 70's and 80's. I have accepted that. There is still some good country music singers, Brad Paisley, Jamie Johnson, and there are a few others. George Strait has not waivered from his true roots. I just hate to see it headed the direction it is.