Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beatdown Special - Kentucky vs. LSU (1996)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0w5SDuFAsY"]YouTube- Beatdown Special - Kentucky vs. LSU (1996)[/ame]
Great video!!! Look at those jerseys!! Now I think those should be to ones that are unveiled next week. It would be great to get out to that kind of lead!!
Ahhh, what a memory
As much love as everyone has for this team, THAT '96 team would DESTROY this team. Im talking 20, maybe 25 points. That was the best team of all time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:As much love as everyone has for this team, THAT '96 team would DESTROY this team. Im talking 20, maybe 25 points. That was the best team of all time.

Agreed! That team was for real...by far the best team to take the floor at the college level...also had my all time favorite player *scott padgett*
top to bottom that was the best college team to step on the court. what helped that team so much was the fact the second 5 was probably the second best team in the nation. i was at UK then and remember seeing parts of a practice and it was more exciting watching them play against each other than the real games sometimes.
that game was insane. 86 points first half.
Everyone is absolutely right. Absolutely the best team ever... Still do not know how they got beat twice... Does anyone recall any discussion of that team going undefeated before we played UMass of course early in the year.
wow...
Did UK win it all that year?
What was there rank at this time?
Think I also herd, they where 14-1. Who did that lose come from?
NYY10 Wrote:wow...
Did UK win it all that year?
What was there rank at this time?
Yes they did.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:As much love as everyone has for this team, THAT '96 team would DESTROY this team. Im talking 20, maybe 25 points. That was the best team of all time.
+1 This years team isn't even close to the 96 team.
NYY10 Wrote:Think I also herd, they where 14-1. Who did that lose come from?

They lost to UMass early in the season and lost to Mississippi in the SEC tourney when Pitino basically pulled all the starters. They ended up winning around 34-36 games and the national title.
Jarons Wrote:They lost to UMass early in the season and lost to Mississippi in the SEC tourney when Pitino basically pulled all the starters. They ended up winning around 34-36 games and the national title.

Correction: Mississippi State in the SEC championship. Still a fluke if you ask me. That team was absolutely amazing.
Greatest college team ever assembled. period
Anyone remember how many they lost in 97? I know if Derek Anderson wasn't hurt or if we could have stopped Arizona's midrange jumper we would have had 3 in a row.
Cranium Wrote:Anyone remember how many they lost in 97? I know if Derek Anderson wasn't hurt or if we could have stopped Arizona's midrange jumper we would have had 3 in a row.

I think we lost 5 games that year. If Derek Anderson doesn't tear his acl we have 8 banners in rupp.
There are night that I lay awake thinking about what would have been with Anderson being healthy.... Oh to have some of the injuries in the tourney back... Anderson, Bogans, Those were two years that could have been... oh memories.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Correction: Mississippi State in the SEC championship. Still a fluke if you ask me. That team was absolutely amazing.

That was what I meant. I did not even realize that I left out State. Thanks for picking up that mistake. That Mississippi St. was really good that year as well. They also made the final four, but was no where close to UK that year.
The 96 team was 34-2 and lost to UMass early in the year and to Mississippi St. in the Finals of the SEC Tournament. Pitino pulled some starters in the second half and Kentucky could never get over the hump in the game.
Ohh the memories, those were the days!
That game had a real West Virginia flavor. For UK was Prickett from Fairmont. For LSU, Neighbors from Beckley, Dee Bosley from Paden City (just up the road from where I live) and assisting Dale Brown was a longtime friend of mine Craig Carse from right here in Sistersville.
Jarons Wrote:That was what I meant. I did not even realize that I left out State. Thanks for picking up that mistake. That Mississippi St. was really good that year as well. They also made the final four, but was no where close to UK that year.

Exactly!!! Still have no idea how that happened in the SEC championship game... Something just came up to me, did that cause the Cats to get the second best #1 seed that year or was it such a fluke loss that it was overlooked.