Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joker Phillips Hires Tee Martin as Wide Receivers Coach
Of course Tee Martin led Tennesse to the National Championship in 1998. Looks like the Volunteer Orange is apart of the Blue and White now, what does everyone think of this move by Joker?
didnt he get in trouble with the NCAA ?

Must be a trend in lexington... lol j/k
Why would you hire a QB to be a wide recievers coach?
Amun-Ra Wrote:Why would you hire a QB to be a wide recievers coach?

I was wondering the same thing. I was reading up on Martin, and he was drafted as a qb in the nfl draft, and ever so often quarterbacks will make the move to a receiver or a halfback, but he never did. He was the quarterback for New Mexico for one season and then accepted the job as the receivers coach for Kentucky. Either Joker knows what he is doing by hiring him.
Personally I think we was fine with the coach we had or that there could have been a better one out there. He wasn't even that great a QB.
wow
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amun-Ra Wrote:Why would you hire a QB to be a wide recievers coach?

1. It is extremely common that a coach coaches a position different than what he played.

2. Don't you thinka QB would basically know everything that needs to be known about a WR?

3. UK already has en elite QB developer on staff in Sanders.

4. UK already has a well respected WR developer in Phillips.

5. Martin wasn't hired to develop players primarily. He was hired because he is very well known and one of the hottest young recruiters in the country.

6. Don't think for a second Martin will be at UK for over 5 years. This is a stepping stone job to an OC position. It wouldnt surprise me if this was the title Martin asked for to better fill his resume for future reference.

7. Whether he was a great QB or not is irrelevant. Some of the best QB's make some of the worst coaches, and some of the worst QB's have made some of the best coaches.

Now my off the cuff opinion heavy rant:

It flabbergasts me any UK fan who is taking exception to this hire. Martin is one of the hottest young coaches and recruites in the country and his connections run deeeeeeeeeep. The guy works the Elite 11 QB Camp for crying out loud, he has coached HS Football in the Atlanta area, he is a household name for any African American in Tennessee, Alabama, and North Georgia, and he is one of the few black QB's to ever win a National Championship (which is huge).

Martin is young, aggressive, and busting his tail to climb the coaching ranks. as I noted before he will not be at UK long, but that is not a bad thing as you can guarantee he will give 110% effort as a recruiter and a coach in the mean time to help elevate his name. The number 1 operative of Joker taking over was to build a better recruiting staff. He added Summers, Turner, and Oliver and as a direct result UK closed on signing day like never before. With Martin, UK will now add a 4th SEC level recruiter and they will be doing so at a bargain price (150k is a steal for what they are getting).

It amazes me that when Brooks was coaching everyone was complaining about recruiting and not getting the players to compete in the SEC. Now that UK is attacking that issue dead on, people suddenly are worried about whether position coaches are qualified because they were "Not even a WR anyway".

I leave my rant on this: Trooper Taylor.Auburn just signed one of their best recruiting classes ever after two "disappointing" seasons by their standard, in spite of their rival in-state school being the National Champs. The reason lies with one man, Trooper Taylor. He had 15 recruiting targets and landed 7 of them (nearly 50%!!!). Of those 7, 1 was a 5*, 1 was a 3*, and the rest were 4* recruits. Taylor is the hottest recruiter in the SEC in spite of the fact that he is a positional coach by distinction. For the record Taylor played DB in college at Baylor.... his coaching position now?

WR COACH!

Amun-Ra an
QB coaches seem to be able to transition into an offensive skills coach. I've seen many be WR or RB's coaches.
If it helps are team then I like it. Joker has hit the ground running and he is impressing me off the field i cant wait to see what he does on it.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:1. It is extremely common that a coach coaches a position different than what he played.

2. Don't you thinka QB would basically know everything that needs to be known about a WR?

5. Martin wasn't hired to develop players primarily. He was hired because he is very well known and one of the hottest young recruiters in the country.

6. Don't think for a second Martin will be at UK for over 5 years. This is a stepping stone job to an OC position. It wouldnt surprise me if this was the title Martin asked for to better fill his resume for future reference.

7. Whether he was a great QB or not is irrelevant. Some of the best QB's make some of the worst coaches, and some of the worst QB's have made some of the best coaches.

It flabbergasts me any UK fan who is taking exception to this hire. Martin is one of the hottest young coaches and recruites in the country and his connections run deeeeeeeeeep. The guy works the Elite 11 QB Camp for crying out loud, he has coached HS Football in the Atlanta area, he is a household name for any African American in Tennessee, Alabama, and North Georgia, and he is one of the few black QB's to ever win a National Championship (which is huge).

Martin is young, aggressive, and busting his tail to climb the coaching ranks. as I noted before he will not be at UK long, but that is not a bad thing as you can guarantee he will give 110% effort as a recruiter and a coach in the mean time to help elevate his name. The number 1 operative of Joker taking over was to build a better recruiting staff. He added Summers, Turner, and Oliver and as a direct result UK closed on signing day like never before. With Martin, UK will now add a 4th SEC level recruiter and they will be doing so at a bargain price (150k is a steal for what they are getting).

It amazes me that when Brooks was coaching everyone was complaining about recruiting and not getting the players to compete in the SEC. Now that UK is attacking that issue dead on, people suddenly are worried about whether position coaches are qualified because they were "Not even a WR anyway".

I leave my rant on this: Trooper Taylor.Auburn just signed one of their best recruiting classes ever after two "disappointing" seasons by their standard, in spite of their rival in-state school being the National Champs. The reason lies with one man, Trooper Taylor. He had 15 recruiting targets and landed 7 of them (nearly 50%!!!). Of those 7, 1 was a 5*, 1 was a 3*, and the rest were 4* recruits. Taylor is the hottest recruiter in the SEC in spite of the fact that he is a positional coach by distinction. For the record Taylor played DB in college at Baylor.... his coaching position now?

WR COACH!

Amun-Ra an

I think its a good hire. All the things you have mentioned are enough to justify that it is. I also agree that Tee may not be at UK for a long period of time, which is okay. In today's world of college football, no one stays anywhere if they are thought of as a good coach. Its become a business and loyalty is pretty much gone. As you said, even if he has no plans to stay long, he will be busting it so that he can prove himself, which could lead for good results while at UK. I think its safe to say that if they came calling, there's atleast one SEC East school, just down I-75, that Tee would come running to, if given the opportunity.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:I think its a good hire. All the things you have mentioned are enough to justify that it is. I also agree that Tee may not be at UK for a long period of time, which is okay. In today's world of college football, no one stays anywhere if they are thought of as a good coach. Its become a business and loyalty is pretty much gone. As you said, even if he has no plans to stay long, he will be busting it so that he can prove himself, which could lead for good results while at UK. I think its safe to say that if they came calling, there's atleast one SEC East school, just down I-75, that Tee would come running to, if given the opportunity.

I saw an article posted on one of the Vol fan sites that basically lambasted Dooley and UT for not hiring Martin.

My guess is Tee will be the OC at UT within 7-8 years
Tee Martin is still recognizable enough in Volunteer country that it would be a huge deal to have him come into a kid's living room or walk through his high school hallway somewhere in Tennessee and extend a national championship ring bearing hand to shake for a big time recruit. This is a move that will pay off big time and maybe set us up with some major pipelines in the recruiting hot spots in Tennessee.
i would like to add to this thread but ekualum pretty much said all that needed to be said.
Well after reading EKUAlum05's post it sounds like this is the best hire that Joker Phillips could have made! I hope that this helps our recruiting because UK really has the potential to become a powerhouse in the next couple of years!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Amun-Ra an
What the?
Amun-Ra Wrote:What the?

Duplicate post issues, here is what it said:

"Amun-Ra and STAT, you guys are usually on point but I totally disagree with your arguement and actually feel that Martin was an AMAZING hire."
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Duplicate post issues, here is what it said:

"Amun-Ra and STAT, you guys are usually on point but I totally disagree with your arguement and actually feel that Martin was an AMAZING hire."
He might be. I was just wandering why we got him when the coach we had was doing a good job. I mean if our WR's stay healthy we would have a good recieving corps.

The only reason we did hire Tee, I believe, is because Randy Sanders is here. He was Tee's QB coach at Tenn.
I can't stand anything in Orange, but if UK can make hires like Sanders & Martin that were a part of a one time very successful program at UT and it can benefit UK, then more power to Joker.
Now let me explain my UT comment: UT is a good program, but they are middle of the pack SEC like UK, USC,LSU & UGA. Florida & Bama have seperated themselves from the rest of the SEC the last few years. Granted UF will be knocked down a bit by losing Tebow,but they will still rule the East.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amun-Ra Wrote:He might be. I was just wandering why we got him when the coach we had was doing a good job. I mean if our WR's stay healthy we would have a good recieving corps.

The only reason we did hire Tee, I believe, is because Randy Sanders is here. He was Tee's QB coach at Tenn.

We hired Tee to recruit... plain and simple.

On a side note for all UK fans... of UK's 2 committed players heading into next season Darrain Miller recently got rated a 4* player by Scout and Jon Davis will probably be rated just as high.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:1. It is extremely common that a coach coaches a position different than what he played.

WR COACH!

Amun-Ra an

Great post
Wanted to bring the accountability bus through real quick seeing as UK just picked up their 2nd Committment from a Tee Martin recruit.

Once again, he was hired to add enthusiasm in recruiting and create buzz in key recruiting areas. This is the 2nd committment ina week from a Gulf Coast prospect.