Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men's CBB Power Rankings
Rank the top 10 most talented teams in men's college basketball.

1. Kentucky
2. Kansas
3. Texas
4. Syracuse
5. West Virginia
6. Villanova
7. Michigan State
8. Duke
9. Georgetown
10. Kansas State
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Rank the top 10 most talented teams in men's college basketball.

1. Kentucky
2. Kansas
3. Texas
4. Syracuse
5. West Virginia
6. Villanova
7. Michigan State
8. Duke
9. Georgetown
10. Kansas State

I'm sorry but Syracuse is the best team in the country..If your talking about individual talent, Yes they got the same maybe more than any team you listed in front of them also. 5th on back looks good though. JMO
Id have Michigan State a lil higher.
Overrated Wrote:I'm sorry but Syracuse is the best team in the country..If your talking about individual talent, Yes they got the same maybe more than any team you listed in front of them also. 5th on back looks good though. JMO

You can argue Syracuse is better than KU and Texas, but I do not believe they are better than Kentucky. Kentucky has more talent in the back court and front court. UK also has a more depth and two guys up for POY award.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You can argue Syracuse is better than KU and Texas, but I do not believe they are better than Kentucky. Kentucky has more talent in the back court and front court. UK also has a more depth and two guys up for POY award.

Wesley Johnson makes just as much of a case for player of the year than John Wall and Cousins if not a better case. The Cuse guards would give John Wall a ton of trouble. UK has no one at the 3 to attempt to stop Johnson. The Cuse big guys are just as strong if not stronger than Cousins, I know they're bigger.. Big reason why I think SU is better is a lot of overall stats also.. FG % SOS #1..They have played much tougher games and have the same record as Uk,..Also being #1 in steals and assist helps also...3/4 this board isn't going to agree since we all are in KY and they are going to defend their favorite team..I just think Cuse is better than Uk. :biggrin:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You can argue Syracuse is better than KU and Texas, but I do not believe they are better than Kentucky. Kentucky has more talent in the back court and front court. UK also has a more depth and two guys up for POY award.

Cuse don't have as much talent as UK but I believe there the better TEAM at the moment.
I do agree that Kentucky does not have anyone that can control Johnson at the 3, but honestly, Cousins would tear up the middle against Syracuse and have them fouled out in the first half, if the refs call each and every foul, which I know they will not. However, it's Kentucky's bench that would make a difference in this game, but I would not want to face that zone before the final 4
I will agree that Cuse is the top team right now. But I do in fact think that UK can be the top team at the end of the year. I would love to see a UK vs Cuse matchup in the finals.
By the way, EPIC FAILURE at the ticket lottery tonight.
Navajo4life Wrote:I do agree that Kentucky does not have anyone that can control Johnson at the 3, but honestly, Cousins would tear up the middle against Syracuse and have them fouled out in the first half, if the refs call each and every foul, which I know they will not. However, it's Kentucky's bench that would make a difference in this game, but I would not want to face that zone before the final 4

Yeah Cousins tearing up the WEAK SEC big men. He will be in for a big wake up call against some true upper classed big guys.
Overrated Wrote:Yeah Cousins tearing up the WEAK SEC big men. He will be in for a big wake up call against some true upper classed big guys.

I think he can hold his own COMPLETELY, against other big named teams. He can really do well against players like Aldrich.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I think he can hold his own COMPLETELY, against other big named teams. He can really do well against players like Aldrich.

We will see when he's up against Vernardo from Miss St...Which he isn't a true big guy but **** of a shot and defender..
Overrated Wrote:We will see when he's up against Vernardo from Miss St...Which he isn't a true big guy but **** of a shot and defender..

What kind of drugs are you on??? I mean really... Cousins is hands down the best big man in the country... Period>>> End of debate... Him an Wall will go 1 an 2 in the draft... syracuse is a good team, but for you to get on here an say they are so much better than UK you must have your oranged tinted glasses on... UK will hold its own with every team in the NCAA... You will see when end of march rolls around...
Im gonna have to agree with Overrated and say Syracus is #1.
Cuse is good, they will get a number 1 seed in the tournament and they will deserve it. i am extremely surprised they are playing as well as they are after losing all that they did last year. the top 10 this year is really balanced and i think anyone of them could be cutting the nets at the end. as a UK fan i would prefer not to play Cuse, not because they are better or have more talent (which i dont think they do), but they have a patent on the zone defense and that is what gives UK the biggest headaches.
BCA, what do you mean by "Power" Rankings. Unfortunately, The Cats would pale in comparison from a Strength or Schedule, so I'm not sure what you mean by the power rankings. If you just want to ask who we think is best or who our favorite team, then we all will be biased and say UK. But if you want to be objective, you have to make comparison to resume's!!!!!
This is based on talent alone, NOT on team play or achievement. My top 10 teams would be totally different:

1.UK
2.Purdue
3a.Geogetown
3b.Tennessee
5.Michigan St.
6.Kansas
7.Syracuse
8.Nova
9.Vandy
10.K-State
Overrated Wrote:Wesley Johnson makes just as much of a case for player of the year than John Wall and Cousins if not a better case. The Cuse guards would give John Wall a ton of trouble. UK has no one at the 3 to attempt to stop Johnson. The Cuse big guys are just as strong if not stronger than Cousins, I know they're bigger.. Big reason why I think SU is better is a lot of overall stats also.. FG % SOS #1..They have played much tougher games and have the same record as Uk,..Also being #1 in steals and assist helps also...3/4 this board isn't going to agree since we all are in KY and they are going to defend their favorite team..I just think Cuse is better than Uk. :biggrin:

lol now that is funny.
cousins would do the same thing to the
syracuse big men as he has every other
post player so far.
i will admit wesley johnson is good.
but idk if i would say syracuse is the best team

im a kentucky fan but IMO kansas is the best in the country
depth wise and experience wise.
Overrated Wrote:Wesley Johnson makes just as much of a case for player of the year than John Wall and Cousins if not a better case. The Cuse guards would give John Wall a ton of trouble. UK has no one at the 3 to attempt to stop Johnson. The Cuse big guys are just as strong if not stronger than Cousins, I know they're bigger.. Big reason why I think SU is better is a lot of overall stats also.. FG % SOS #1..They have played much tougher games and have the same record as Uk,..Also being #1 in steals and assist helps also...3/4 this board isn't going to agree since we all are in KY and they are going to defend their favorite team..I just think Cuse is better than Uk. :biggrin:

Johnson does make a great case for POY, but John Wall makes a better one (at the moment) with the way he makes his teammates better and the clutch moments he has had this season.

To get to the DeMarcus Cousins talk, Onaoku and the Syracuse big men maybe could contain Patterson, but no way they could contain Cousins. You can ask nearly anyone who follows college basketball who the best big man in college basketball is at the moment and they will tell you it's DeMarcus Cousins. The man is an absolute monster and has been for the last ten games or so. If the double-team came for Cousins from the Syracuse big's, it would open up opportunities for Patterson and the UK shooters to make plays. Syracuse does play a very tough and unorthodox 2-3 zone that would cause problems for UK and any other team in the nation, but I think talent-wise UK has the upper-hand on the Orange (and any other team in the country for that matter).

As for stopping John Wall, that 2-3 zone that Syracuse plays may slow him down quite a bit. He hasn't seen anything like that before.

Still yet, UK is better than Cuse. :biggrin:
When taking all things into consideration (SOS, etc), this is how I would rank the teams thus far:

1. Kansas
2. Syracuse
3. Kentucky
4. Villanova
5. WVU
6. Purdue
7. Kansas St.
8. Duke
9. Georgetown
10. Michigan St.

UK's Strength of Schedule of 51 hurts them.
Stardust Wrote:BCA, what do you mean by "Power" Rankings. Unfortunately, The Cats would pale in comparison from a Strength or Schedule, so I'm not sure what you mean by the power rankings. If you just want to ask who we think is best or who our favorite team, then we all will be biased and say UK. But if you want to be objective, you have to make comparison to resume's!!!!!

As in each team playing at their best.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:As in each team playing at their best.

I'm not sure about how to make a comparison of what playing at their best is. Playing at their best, it would be hard to argue against Syracuse. They have played great against good competition and won soundly. Or, do you take another team who plays great against an average team and wins by a big margin and consider that great?
Stardust Wrote:I'm not sure about how to make a comparison of what playing at their best is. Playing at their best, it would be hard to argue against Syracuse. They have played great against good competition and won soundly. Or, do you take another team who plays great against an average team and wins by a big margin and consider that great?

Teams can play their best against Hartford or Duke.

Kentucky played their best game of the season (IMO) against Indiana. Now I know IU is just an average team, but Kentucky did there job the entire game and played outstanding in a hostile environment. But it just so happens that Syracuse lost to Pittsburgh, the same team who lost to Indiana.

Point is, you can play at your best against any level of competition.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Teams can play their best against Hartford or Duke.

Kentucky played their best game of the season (IMO) against Indiana. Now I know IU is just an average team, but Kentucky did there job the entire game and played outstanding in a hostile environment. But it just so happens that Syracuse lost to Pittsburgh, the same team who lost to Indiana.

Point is, you can play at your best against any level of competition.

Then I would take Syracuses dominating performance against UNC @ UNC. Syracuse completely dominated a mediocre team on their home court with all the lights and cameras as one of the first showdowns of the college season. They beat a UNC team by 16 at UNC and the game wasn't even that close. This is the same UNC team that lost to UK by 2 at UK. So, who and where does make a difference????
All i'm saying stats wise Cuse is almost #1 in each category. Kentucky has never met a big and strong team. Sure they both have lost one game, But look at Syracuse schedule then look at KY schedule. The Orange have #1 SOS and Jim Boehim will be coach of the year. I don't even think Cousins would last long in that kind of game..
Stardust Wrote:Then I would take Syracuses dominating performance against UNC @ UNC. Syracuse completely dominated a mediocre team on their home court with all the lights and cameras as one of the first showdowns of the college season. They beat a UNC team by 16 at UNC and the game wasn't even that close. This is the same UNC team that lost to UK by 2 at UK. So, who and where does make a difference????

:Thumbs:
Overrated Wrote:All i'm saying stats wise Cuse is almost #1 in each category. Kentucky has never met a big and strong team. Sure they both have lost one game, But look at Syracuse schedule then look at KY schedule. The Orange have #1 SOS and Jim Boehim will be coach of the year. I don't even think Cousins would last long in that kind of game..

Actually, Coach Calipari is favored to be Coach of the Year being in his first year at UK and taking them back to this kind of prominence already.

Syracuse is a great team (definitely top three at the moment), but I just think UK is slightly and I mean slightly better and would matchup pretty well against them. It's just my opinion. You have your opinion and it is obviously different, but I respect it.
Stardust Wrote:Then I would take Syracuses dominating performance against UNC @ UNC. Syracuse completely dominated a mediocre team on their home court with all the lights and cameras as one of the first showdowns of the college season. They beat a UNC team by 16 at UNC and the game wasn't even that close. This is the same UNC team that lost to UK by 2 at UK. So, who and where does make a difference????

My point is, you just don't choose when you play your best. It just happens and things click, not matter who the competition is.

Also, UK beat UNC by 2 in a game where John Wall was dominating and went down with cramps late in the 1st half or early in the 2nd and UNC made a comeback. Since then, Bledsoe, Dodson, Liggins, etc. have all matured a lot and have made UK a lot better.

Also, the only reason why I'm saying UK is overall a better team than Syracuse, Kansas, etc. is because we have overall more talent and depth than either of these teams. I'm not saying UK would beat either team 10 times out of 10 games, but Kentucky would be favored if these teams meet up in the NCAA tournament.

UK beat Florida by 12 IN Gainsville. Syracuse beat them by 12 in a (somewhat) neutral court. Also, that game too Rick Johnson having the game of his life to beat them.

You can't compare schedules to say who is the best. The selection committee does compare schedules but many of the members ALWAYS say that the eye test is the most important.

I will conclude by saying, Syracuse HAS played the better schedule and that will remain because of the Big East, that is probably unarguable. Kentucky has the most talent, two players going 1 and 2 in the draft and one player being an All-American that is neither of those players, and that is probably unarguable.

Both points will still be argued anyway because it is what we do on Bluegrass Rivals :biggrin:
Overrated Wrote:All i'm saying stats wise Cuse is almost #1 in each category. Kentucky has never met a big and strong team. Sure they both have lost one game, But look at Syracuse schedule then look at KY schedule. The Orange have #1 SOS and Jim Boehim will be coach of the year. I don't even think Cousins would last long in that kind of game..

You can bash UK an Cousins all you want, fact of the matter is Cousins is the best big man in the country(hands down) an unless UK an Syracuse meet in the tourney they dont play this season... So Get over it an go try some Syracuse fans to dog UK too...

Also if UK an syracuse meet up, I will bet you any amount of money you are willing to bet that UK wins, an a side bet of that Cousins has a double double....Confusedhh:
kyr450 Wrote:You can bash UK an Cousins all you want, fact of the matter is Cousins is the best big man in the country(hands down) an unless UK an Syracuse meet in the tourney they dont play this season... So Get over it an go try some Syracuse fans to dog UK too...

Also if UK an syracuse meet up, I will bet you any amount of money you are willing to bet that UK wins, an a side bet of that Cousins has a double double....Confusedhh:

I would love to gamble on UK and SU if they match up...I'm not bashing KY.. Just some biased UK fans give me a good laugh each time I sign in and read this thread. Put it in your head all you want that KY is better. 3/4 the nation will say Cuse is better, No big deal..As far as Cousins, Yeah I messed up bad coming here on a KY favored website and saying anything bad about him..But the College B-ball fans other than die hard UK fans will realize what I mean..But I like the debates ,It's going to be that much better when the Orange roll the Cats.[If they ever met, hopefully Uk can make it to the finals] :biggrin::rockon: