Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do You Like Better. . . .
Country Classics (like George Jones, Merle Haggard, etc)

OR

Newer Country (posers like Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Toby Keith)

I am under the opinion that today's generation has completely ruined country music. It is more of "light rock" or "pop" as opposed to real country music.

What do you think?
I voted for the new but I really like both...when I am in EKY for some reason I find myself listening to the old country...partly because a lot of my friends there listen to it a lot. If I am sitting around with some friends having some cold ones then I perfer the old...If I am listening to it on my radio/CD player in my car either one will do...If I am going to a concert, I like the new, though I saw David Allen Cole a few years ago and it was awesome.
PHS--

You don't really consider David Allan Coe to be "new" country, do you?

He has been around for a LONG time.
Of course I don't consider him to be "new country"...I don't think my post referred to him as new country...I was saying he was one of the "old country" acts that I really enjoyed seeing live.
Sorry. I was flowing the flow of your response. I didn't catch the transition.

My fault.
No problem....
a little of both
If I had to pick, the semi-new..Garth Brooks and Keith Whitley aren't really new but they aren't old classics as much as Hank Williams Jr., Merle Haggard, and etc. would be.
I like the new more but I love the old as well
New Country Can Suck A Nut. Everything Sounds The Same Because There Are About 4 Guys In Nashville Writing All The Songs For Everyone. Its All Overdone And Shitty. Give Me Some Buck Owens And Johnny Cash.
Earl Thomas Conley,Conway twitty,Charlie Daniels Band,Gary Stewart, George Jones,John Anderson,John Conlee, Mel McDaniel, Merle Haggard, Waylon and Willie.....ahhhh, the good ole days
I like both but lean more toward the new.
I like the old new guys.
some new and some old....
where does george strait fit in the mix ...
evillive Wrote:where does george strait fit in the mix ...

As possibly the greatest country singer to ever live, IMO.

I like the new because it sounds more like southern rock. I love Conway Twitty, Merle, Johnny Cash, and a few others but for the most part old country is boring to me.
HappyGilmore Wrote:As possibly the greatest country singer to ever live, IMO.

I like the new because it sounds more like southern rock. I love Conway Twitty, Merle, Johnny Cash, and a few others but for the most part old country is boring to me.

Me too!!

I do love Hank Jr. & Patsy Cline. That is about as old school in country that I will go. I am a southern rock kinda girl. The old bluegrass country twang is not for me.
I love the Southern Rock sound of today's country.
I'm a new guy :thumb:
i like a mixture of it