Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player of the Year?
theVILLE Wrote:Watch and see if he isnt the winner or right behind CUZ for CPOY
A 5'9" point guard on a mediocre team headed to the NIT with Louisville, who is shooting 41 percent from the floor and has as many turnovers as assists is not going to finish ahead of Wall or Cousins in the POY voting. I will be shocked if Downey finishes among the top 10.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:A 5'9" point guard on a mediocre team headed to the NIT with Louisville, who is shooting 41 percent from the floor and has as many turnovers as assists is not going to finish ahead of Wall or Cousins in the POY voting. I will be shocked if Downey finishes among the top 10.

Conference player of the year???What does wall shoot %..oh wait its 41% and wall has about 6 ot 7 turnovers a game..last nite he had more To's than assists..and he is on good team wiht alot of help...I dont see how you get downey isn that good
theVILLE Wrote:Conference player of the year???What does wall shoot %..oh wait its 41% and wall has about 6 ot 7 turnovers a game..last nite he had more To's than assists..and he is on good team wiht alot of help...I dont see how you get downey isn that good
I never said Downey is not a good player but he is obviously not POY material. He does not have the individual stats to make a case for him, he does not play on a top tier team, and he will not get the TV exposure necessary to be a contender even if he had a halfway decent shooting percentage, which he does not. Downey is at best the fourth best player in the SEC, which does not mean that he is not a good player - just that he is not POY material.

BTW, Wall is shooting 47.5 percent from the field and he also has a better 3-point shooting percentage than Downey.
ah, i'm not all that sure on the SEC talk... but my top 3 would be.
-Wall
-Cousins
-Courtney Fortson

with Downey, and the vandy guys Jenkins, and Ogilvy filling out the other two spots.
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok -Shaquille O'Neal
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I never said Downey is not a good player but he is obviously not POY material. He does not have the individual stats to make a case for him, he does not play on a top tier team, and he will not get the TV exposure necessary to be a contender even if he had a halfway decent shooting percentage, which he does not. Downey is at best the fourth best player in the SEC, which does not mean that he is not a good player - just that he is not POY material.

BTW, Wall is shooting 47.5 percent from the field and he also has a better 3-point shooting percentage than Downey.

I thought it went to the best player not the best player on the best team?
theVILLE Wrote:I thought it went to the best player not the best player on the best team?
Do you seriously think that Kevin Downey is the best college basketball player in the country? Downey is a point guard who is averaging the same number of assists as turnovers and he is shooting 40.9% from the field. He has no shot whatsoever of winning the national POY with those numbers. The probable top NBA draft pick does have a good shot at winning the award, depending on how he finishes the season.
Spartan4Life Wrote:ah, i'm not all that sure on the SEC talk... but my top 3 would be.
-Wall
-Cousins
-Courtney Fortson

with Downey, and the vandy guys Jenkins, and Ogilvy filling out the other two spots.

I really think that Downey may continue to gain more attention for this award. Seeing as though he is the only scoring option for his team, it is big numbers that usually attract the attention. Still at this point I would say that the SEC voting is Wall, Cuz, then Downey and Fortson close to him.
Scottie Reynolds gets little mention anywhere, why is this? He the best player on a very good team. He would get my vote. He doesn't have the supporting cast that S Collins or J Wall have.
^ He really does have a good case. I think that it may depend on how far Villanova can get in the tourney.
Im still arguing the Freshman thing..How can a freshman player win POY and not the freshman of the year???Makes no since
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Do you seriously think that Kevin Downey is the best college basketball player in the country? Downey is a point guard who is averaging the same number of assists as turnovers and he is shooting 40.9% from the field. He has no shot whatsoever of winning the national POY with those numbers. The probable top NBA draft pick does have a good shot at winning the award, depending on how he finishes the season.

Nope i dont think that he is the best player in the nation...I was just saying it was suppose to go the best player not the best teams best player...like stephon curry last 2 seasons! and those numbers and %'s are very similar to wall who is on a great team..why should wall get it and devan Downey shouldnt..:eyeroll:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I never said Downey is not a good player but he is obviously not POY material. He does not have the individual stats to make a case for him, he does not play on a top tier team, and he will not get the TV exposure necessary to be a contender even if he had a halfway decent shooting percentage, which he does not. Downey is at best the fourth best player in the SEC, which does not mean that he is not a good player - just that he is not POY material.

Is SEC play wall is shooting 47.5%..i know in january he was shooting 40%
either john wall or wesley johnson.
mister... basketball Wrote:either john wall or wesley johnson.

I like wesley Johnson or Evan Turner
theVILLE Wrote:I like wesley Johnson or Evan Turner

yea evan turner is good too.
especially him coming back after breaking
his back that will get him alot of votes.
theVILLE Wrote:Is SEC play wall is shooting 47.5%..i know in january he was shooting 40%
He is shooting 47.5% for the season. The figure that I gave for Downey was also for the season. I looked for but could not find the SEC-only numbers.
theVILLE Wrote:Im still arguing the Freshman thing..How can a freshman player win POY and not the freshman of the year???Makes no since
Of course it makes sense - unless the same people cast the votes for each player at the same time.
Man, after a game like tonight, I think Wall solidifies that he should be the front-runner or close to the top along with Evan Turner. 2 assists from a triple-double for a point guard in the college game. That is very impressive. There is such a strong case for Turner as well.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Man, after a game like tonight, I think Wall solidifies that he should be the front-runner or close to the top along with Evan Turner. 2 assists from a triple-double for a point guard in the college game. That is very impressive. There is such a strong case for Turner as well.

yes i agree this was the best game in the SEC that wall has played..and it is a good thing too! I question his shot attempts down the stretch in regulation a little though..Cant expect anymore from a freshman PG
im gonna go with my boy from duke jon scheycer cause hes has showed so much leadership this year after the lost of henderson going to the pros early and put kyle singler in that list to
theVILLE Wrote:Nope i dont think that he is the best player in the nation...I was just saying it was suppose to go the best player not the best teams best player...like stephon curry last 2 seasons! and those numbers and %'s are very similar to wall who is on a great team..why should wall get it and devan Downey shouldnt..:eyeroll:
Review the stats again. Downey's numbers, aside from his scoring average, are not even close to Wall's. A 6 percent edge in FG percentage and 3 assists per game bulge in assists are pretty big gaps between two point guards. Wall could be scoring 25 a game and still be shooting over 41 percent. Maybe Downey's numbers would be better if he played for a better team but he is stuck on a mediocre team. I have never been a fan of high scoring point guards who shoot their arms off.
theville Wrote:nope i dont think that he is the best player in the nation...i was just saying it was [color="red"]
  • suppose to go the best player not the best teams best player
[size="3"]
[/size][/color]
...like stephon curry last 2 seasons! And those numbers and %'s are very similar to wall who is on a great team..why should wall get it and devan downey shouldnt..:eyeroll:

lmao omg seriously? Think about this,. Lebron james........ wE HAVE ARGUED AND ARGUED LAST YEARS MVP and this sums it up for me. If Devin downey has the best stats then he deserves it. No matter how good his team is doing right?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:lmao omg seriously? Think about this,. Lebron james........ wE HAVE ARGUED AND ARGUED LAST YEARS MVP and this sums it up for me. If Devin downey has the best stats then he deserves it. No matter how good his team is doing right?

Yelp..lol..you got me there!:biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Review the stats again. Downey's numbers, aside from his scoring average, are not even close to Wall's. A 6 percent edge in FG percentage and 3 assists per game bulge in assists are pretty big gaps between two point guards. Wall could be scoring 25 a game and still be shooting over 41 percent. Maybe Downey's numbers would be better if he played for a better team but he is stuck on a mediocre team. I have never been a fan of high scoring point guards who shoot their arms off.

look at the SEC % there about even!
theVILLE Wrote:Yelp..lol..you got me there!:biggrin:

I Win !
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I Win !

Not really! Either DWADE deserved POY or Downey Deserves it over wall.,..you tell me which one
theVILLE Wrote:Not really! Either DWADE deserved POY or Downey Deserves it over wall.,..you tell me which one

If downeys stats are better at the end of the year then downey deserves it. Player Of The Year. Not Best Player On Best Team Award. Downey plays in division 1 basketball and has mad skills.
theVILLE Wrote:look at the SEC % there about even!
The national POY voting will be based on the total season's work of each player. Downey does not even rank in the top 10 in SEC play in either assists or assist/turnover ratio. Wall's shooting has slipped in conference play, but he still ranks 10th in FG%. Downey takes a lot of shots and is not a particularly good playmaker, although he does a nice job of breaking a press single handedly.

Here is my prediction. Downey will not get a single first place vote and he will not finish among the top 10 in the national POY voting. John Wall will get first place votes and he is currently the favorite to win the award. Wall is almost a lock to finish in the top three.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The national POY voting will be based on the total season's work of each player. Downey does not even rank in the top 10 in SEC play in either assists or assist/turnover ratio. Wall's shooting has slipped in conference play, but he still ranks 10th in FG%. Downey takes a lot of shots and is not a particularly good playmaker, although he does a nice job of breaking a press single handedly.

Here is my prediction. Downey will not get a single first place vote and he will not finish among the top 10 in the national POY voting. John Wall will get first place votes and he is currently the favorite to win the award. Wall is almost a lock to finish in the top three.

Which is why most of the time its a popularity award.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Which is why most of the time its a popularity award.
That's true, and Wall is getting plenty of publicity. But Wall will be a lottery pick at the end of his freshman season, so if he wins the award I don't think many people will be claiming that Downey was robbed.