Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying???
has anyone on here ever flown before???
Yeah, I have flown like 30+ times! Why?
leecoukfan Wrote:Yeah, I have flown like 30+ times! Why?

well because on March 31st i plan on flying up to Michigan. just wondered if anyone on here had ever flown, and see how safe the Planes are because im terrified of heights and plane crashes.

what Airline did you use???

this is from Delta:

(From Lexington, KY - Detroit, MI)

http://fsim.com.br/project-erj/img/embraer145xr.jpg

(From Detroit, MI - Alpena, MI)
http://www.saabgroup.com/NR/rdonlyres/2F22C98B-60B4-4FBB-95B6-057476ADB8CE/0/1980_340.jpg
I have flown Southwest, American Airlines, and Delta.

Takeoff and landing are fun.

Flown to D.C., Salt Lake City, Atlanta, New Orleans, and LA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:I have flown Southwest, American Airlines, and Delta.

Takeoff and landing are fun.

Flown to D.C., Salt Lake City, Atlanta, New Orleans, and LA.

are they all safe, because i don't won't on a plane that is gonna crash or have terriost on it???

Delta is the only airline that is going from Lexington, KY to Alpena, MI, im terrified of heights, i even hate the ferris wheel at the fair
Strikeout King Wrote:are they all safe, because i don't won't on a plane that is gonna crash or have terriost on it???

Delta is the only airline that is going from Lexington, KY to Alpena, MI, im terrified of heights, i even hate the ferris wheel at the fair

You might just want to drive then. However, flying is safer than driving. Think of how many car crashes there are every day. Now how many plane crashes do you hear about? Maybe one a year, if that?

And do you really think a terrorist is going to take over a plane from Lexington to Alpena, MI?

FWIW, and not trying to make a political commentary, just saying from experience, every person of Arab appearance I've been in line with at the airport has been pulled aside for additional screening.

Heck, I was even pulled aside and fully searched in LA.

I really think your only worry will be getting over the fear of heights. Taking off is similar to going up a hill on a rollercoaster. Flying itself, once you've reached altitude, is pretty similar to driving. Landing and turbulence, might make you poop your pants though if you're really that scared of flying.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Strikeout King Wrote:are they all safe, because i don't won't on a plane that is gonna crash or have terriost on it???

I've flown quite a few times myself. I'm not a fan of heights either, but that feeling never really comes into the equation for me. You're strapped into a seat and can't really tell how high you're going if you don't look out the window. Even if you do look out the window after you've climbed for a little while, it's almost surreal looking.

If you're worried about the plane having problems, just think about a new car. I've had my car for about 4 years now, semi-regular maintenance. Never has the engine died on me while driving or sitting idle nor has any part just fallen off. And that's from just an air filter and oil change every now and then. These planes are checked regularly. That's what I tell myself to ease my mind every time I fly.
Will not fly unless FORCED!
ComfortEagle Wrote:You might just want to drive then. However, flying is safer than driving. Think of how many car crashes there are every day. Now how many plane crashes do you hear about? Maybe one a year, if that?

And do you really think a terrorist is going to take over a plane from Lexington to Alpena, MI?

FWIW, and not trying to make a political commentary, just saying from experience, every person of Arab appearance I've been in line with at the airport has been pulled aside for additional screening.

Heck, I was even pulled aside and fully searched in LA.

I really think your only worry will be getting over the fear of heights. Taking off is similar to going up a hill on a rollercoaster. Flying itself, once you've reached altitude, is pretty similar to driving. Landing and turbulence, might make you poop your pants though if you're really that scared of flying.

well i thought about taking a bus from Berea, but it takes 22 hours, 4 transfers to get up there, i don't wanna be on that bus that long!

Now on a plane it takes 3 hours and 20 something minutes.

heights is about my only fear, and i have no idea how to break it,

ive road Roller Coasters before. i road Chain or how ever your spell it over at Kentucky Kingdom my 8th grade year, but that was about 7 years ago.

what are you allowed to take on a plane???
Man dont sweat it, it is not bad at all I have flown all over and its not that big of a deal. Ive flown to Hawii, Brazil, LA, San Diego and so on and its a blast, once you hit altitude and begin leveling out you cant really tell your even moving. I have been on a couple of flights where one of the engines failed but its not that bad no one is really freaking out they just land at the closest air port and you switch flights. When I went to Hawii we got caught in a storm over top of the Pacific and you could look out the window and see the lightining I slept through it lol Turbulance is the only half bad part. Once you do it the first time you'll love it and continue to do it. Security is tight now every on carry bag is checked, no lighters, bottles etc. You can take lap tops cell phones etc. Make sure to take a couple of changes of clothes on with you just in case your bag gets lost for a day.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Man dont sweat it, it is not bad at all I have flown all over and its not that big of a deal. Ive flown to Hawii, Brazil, LA, San Diego and so on and its a blast, once you hit altitude and begin leveling out you cant really tell your even moving. I have been on a couple of flights where one of the engines failed but its not that bad no one is really freaking out they just land at the closest air port and you switch flights. When I went to Hawii we got caught in a storm over top of the Pacific and you could look out the window and see the lightining I slept through it lol Turbulance is the only half bad part. Once you do it the first time you'll love it and continue to do it. Security is tight now every on carry bag is checked, no lighters, bottles etc. You can take lap tops cell phones etc. Make sure to take a couple of changes of clothes on with you just in case your bag gets lost for a day.

are you allowed to have your cell phone on??? are you allowed MP3 Players, IPods??? all i have is my MP3 and Cell. i plan on taking couple gym bags. i thought they screened them when they checked you???
Strikeout King Wrote:are you allowed to have your cell phone on??? are you allowed MP3 Players, IPods??? all i have is my MP3 and Cell. i plan on taking couple gym bags. i thought they screened them when they checked you???

yes you can have both Cells and MP3 players on the plane, during take off and landing they must be turned off but during flight they can be on. They screen them and look through them. they have you open them up like 2 or 3 times before getting on
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:yes you can have both Cells and MP3 players on the plane, during take off and landing they must be turned off but during flight they can be on. They screen them and look through them. they have you open them up like 2 or 3 times before getting on

Thanks. do you get your bags and stuff back as soon as they check them???
Strikeout King Wrote:Thanks. do you get your bags and stuff back as soon as they check them???

yep sure do
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:yep sure do

if you buy a plane ticket, is it still the same price as it is online, if you buy it from the airport???
I will never fly in an airplane. Ever. I have a rediculas fear of heights.
Flying is not that bad. Going through security can be pain, especially if they randomly pull you to the side and check you out further. You really do not feel like you are very high, to me it kind of feels like riding on a well paved highway. Do not watch any airplane disaster movies or documentaries such as I did before flying for the first time, it will only increase your anxiety. I think it will be a better experience than you will think.
Aslan Wrote:I have a rediculas fear of heights.

me and you are in the same boat
I on average am on 20+ flights per year. With 50 or more at least three times (per frequent flyer reward level I have an idea of this). I've done this over the last 15 years. I have zero reservations about flying. It honestly is as safe as people say when they say it is safer than driving.

I have flown into Detroit several times over the years. Detroit is not a bad flight.

You question about ticket price, you are much better off purchasing online. The most important suggestions I can give you about ticket purchases are to purchase at least two weeks in advance. Also, if you plans call for a Saturday stay-over in the city you are traveling to, it will knock out cost.

I could go on and on, let me know if their is anything I can help you with. But do it before Monday, because I fly to DC Monday evening.:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:I on average am on 20+ flights per year. With 50 or more at least three times (per frequent flyer reward level I have an idea of this). I've done this over the last 15 years. I have zero reservations about flying. It honestly is as safe as people say when they say it is safer than driving.

I have flown into Detroit several times over the years. Detroit is not a bad flight.

You question about ticket price, you are much better off purchasing online. The most important suggestions I can give you about ticket purchases are to purchase at least two weeks in advance. Also, if you plans call for a Saturday stay-over in the city you are traveling to, it will knock out cost.

I could go on and on, let me know if their is anything I can help you with. But do it before Monday, because I fly to DC Monday evening.:Thumbs:

Thanks SD,

the bad thing about purchasing them online is, we don't have credit or debit cards.

im going with my uncle Thursday to lexington for his Doctor App. so im gonna try and get it then, im gonna print off the ticket page that i found from delta. i believe for the whole trip its $427.40 Round Trip
^ that's an online ticket price. They may not honor that at the airport.
Stardust Wrote:^ that's an online ticket price. They may not honor that at the airport.

couldn't i email someone at the airport (if i can find an email for them) and ask???
i believe i got the Ticket Purchase figured out
Personally ive never flown, However to be able to fly like super man would be great.
If you are that afraid of flying, may I suggest a mild sedative if you are prescribed one. My family has private pilots in it with their own small planes. This is a very good suggestion if you have never flown, it is quite enjoyable to fly over your own home, and from the air in Lexington you will definitely find out why it is called the bluegrass state. If the day you fly is smooth you should be fine, but if it isn't, you will incur air pockets where the plane will hit spots where your stomach will drop. My oldest son would get air sick in our small air plane, but not in a big plane. So consider taking dramamine about 1 hour prior to flight if you get car sick, or on a boat. My father was in the military and I flew to Germany, a few times, Boston, Colorado, California twice, Arizona, Florida, and in our own plane many places. Take your ipod and listen to it when they allow you to turn it on. Also chew gum, because as you climb to your altitude you need to swallow to get your ears to pop to get them used to the change.
You will do just fine, just sit back, listen to your ipod and enjoy what will begin your freedom of seeing more of the world.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Personally ive never flown, However to be able to fly like super man would be great.

He's not flown in Smallville yet...
mrsportsfan Wrote:If you are that afraid of flying, may I suggest a mild sedative if you are prescribed one. My family has private pilots in it with their own small planes. This is a very good suggestion if you have never flown, it is quite enjoyable to fly over your own home, and from the air in Lexington you will definitely find out why it is called the bluegrass state. If the day you fly is smooth you should be fine, but if it isn't, you will incur air pockets where the plane will hit spots where your stomach will drop. My oldest son would get air sick in our small air plane, but not in a big plane. So consider taking dramamine about 1 hour prior to flight if you get car sick, or on a boat. My father was in the military and I flew to Germany, a few times, Boston, Colorado, California twice, Arizona, Florida, and in our own plane many places. Take your ipod and listen to it when they allow you to turn it on. Also chew gum, because as you climb to your altitude you need to swallow to get your ears to pop to get them used to the change.
You will do just fine, just sit back, listen to your ipod and enjoy what will begin your freedom of seeing more of the world.

how does chewing gum make your ears pop and how do you know when there popped???
For a baby, when flying they suggest that the baby drink it's bottle, so that the babies ears will pop as you climb in altitute. You don't have to chew gum , you just have to keep swallowing and you will notice the difference in the pressure in your ears, when you get to that point your hearing will be clearer and the pressure alleviated. I always like to turn the air valve above my seat, pointed at myself, to get fresh air. Helps with not feeling stifled. Carry any bags on you can so that keeps you from checking your bags and having to go to the luggage terminal. They are very strict on the size of fluid in each container so check your airline for the specifics. Hope this helps. PM me if you need something else and I'll try to help you.
Strikeout King Wrote:well because on March 31st i plan on flying up to Michigan. just wondered if anyone on here had ever flown, and see how safe the Planes are because im terrified of heights and plane crashes.

what Airline did you use???

this is from Delta:

(From Lexington, KY - Detroit, MI)

http://fsim.com.br/project-erj/img/embraer145xr.jpg

(From Detroit, MI - Alpena, MI)
http://www.saabgroup.com/NR/rdonlyres/2F22C98B-60B4-4FBB-95B6-057476ADB8CE/0/1980_340.jpg

You honestly have nothing to worry about! It's a proven fact that you're actaually safer in an Airplane than riding in a car! The worst thing that will happen is turbulence and the plane will slightly shake or rattle a little bit but thats the worst of it! You'll be fine.
leecoukfan Wrote:You honestly have nothing to worry about! It's a proven fact that you're actaually safer in an Airplane than riding in a car! The worst thing that will happen is turbulence and the plane will slightly shake or rattle a little bit but thats the worst of it! You'll be fine.

Thanks. i believe i will be ok.

the only problem is ordering the ticket. its cheaper online then it is at the airport, but we don't have any credit cards, so its gonna be tough to get it online