Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan Independent 2010
Been browsing the 2010 previews in the Letcher/Harlan/Bell/Perry areas and didn't see this one as spring practice gets close. How does Harlan look after their regional runner-up finish in 2009? 13 seniors (I think) graduated, yet several good young players are supposed to return, including DB/LB/WR/RB/QB. Perhaps less size but more speed? Anyone have news?
The reason you didnt see harlan is because there not a successful sports school at all, with this year an acception, but im from the area and ill tell you. Harlan is losing almost all there starters to graduation, None of the younger players really have experience, maybe one or two @ DB and WR but none at RB or QB or anything like that, Harlan will have an off year definatly next year.
Ouch...sorry to hear that. Haven't seen Coach Donahue over there in awhile...hoping he can exceed expectations like last year then.
Just checking in as spring practice approaches. I believe I read where the basketball team lost this week. Has anyone heard any football news? Any new coaches? Players? Projected starters?
No longer around the area and still holding out hope that someone hears information on the Dragons to post. Enjoy reading about the new Harlan County High School, but would also enjoy information on the small school too. Has spring practice gotten underway?
I have made this a one-man thread. Guess I might have to drive down there or call Donahue directly to get an update (ha). Haven't seen anything in the local paper but I have to believe spring practice is underway with the basketball team losing early.

Anyone with info or an update?
Dungy Wrote:No longer around the area and still holding out hope that someone hears information on the Dragons to post. Enjoy reading about the new Harlan County High School, but would also enjoy information on the small school too. Has spring practice gotten underway?

Harlan Independent has become the ugly step child of the county, now that Harlan County is around. It seems like everyone forgets that they even exist.
Didn't realize things were so bad at Harlan and apparently so tense between the schools. I was hoping the new setup could allow both be contenders in their respective classes, like Bell/Middlesboro, Hazard/Perry, etc.

I only have the paper via internet, and things read to me a bit more optimistic. Harlan had a regional runner-up finish in football and a All-A state appearance in girls basketball. Harlan County swept district titles in boys/girls basketball.

Anyway, since I think we can confirm both schools exist, does anyone have any new info?
As I was driving down the bypass, I saw a small group running around the track over there(may have been the track team), and a group of what I assume was football players that looked like they may be doing drills. That's all I got for ya Dungy.
Thanks for trying M Bear. If you get a scoop or any details, please let me know.
Just pushing some of these 2010 threads back to the top...any details from spring practice now? Can't wait for football to start, can't wait for Friday nights, even if by radio.
Still scoping out spring news. Any ideas on how things went this spring for Harlan?
Things went good in spring as to what I hear. It looks like their losing A LOT of experience, but gaining A LOT of talent. They could possibly be looking at a down year, but with only three seniors graduating and promising young talent rising the future looks very bright, especially with their large freshman class. They are moving to a spread, 4-wide offense. From what I hear it's going to be Ty Saragas-QB and Dalton Overbay moving to RB. Both talented rising sophomores with a very successful middle school career and Vince Bianchi wide who is going to be a big offensive threat in the passing game. Some talk as to possible state contenders in 3 years.
H-town Wrote:Things went good in spring as to what I hear. It looks like their losing A LOT of experience, but gaining A LOT of talent. They could possibly be looking at a down year, but with only three seniors graduating and promising young talent rising the future looks very bright, especially with their large freshman class. They are moving to a spread, 4-wide offense. From what I hear it's going to be Ty Saragas-QB and Dalton Overbay moving to RB. Both talented rising sophomores with a very successful middle school career and Vince Bianchi wide who is going to be a big offensive threat in the passing game. Some talk as to possible state contenders in 3 years.

Heard JB was interviewed for the Middlesboro job. Is he leaving Harlan?
The Green Dragons talent pool has dwindled and that, along with their youth, makes a rough road. Saragas will not have the needed protection. He may be running for his life. Spread? Things will be very rough for the Dragons over the next few years. Rough and I mean rough also on a Coaching Staff. JB has his hands full.
What does their schedule look like for this upcoming season?
Hey, hey, activity on the Harlan thread. Called ol' Donahue directly. Did interview. Awaiting a call. Former principal (Smith) at Harlan is now at Middlesboro, so a move is possible. Won't know for a week or so. If I had to predict based on 'gut', I'd say he stays. Hard to picture HHS without him, think he's been there for more than 15 years.

As for the team, one of the negatives of leaving (from the conversation) is the possibility of good things in the next 2-3 years. This coming sophomore class of 15 and freshman class of 12 is big for Harlan. Plus, he indicated there will be more team speed. Even on a down year, Harlan can possibly beat Jenkins and Pineville for a home playoff game.

As for schedule, it is the exact same as last year: Corbin, Williamsburg, Allen Central, Lee, Lynn Camp, Knott Central, Pineville, Jenkins, Hazard, Knox Central.
As for players, don't know Saragas (you can fill me in), but I have seen Overbay. He has serious potential for a sophomore. If he was at HC, even BB Claw would be saying he was great.
Maybe Donahue is leaving because he is tired of trying to recruit Harlan Co. football players. I bet a lot of that goes on with his knowledge.
Can't imagine that's the reason, but it is true that 1 or 2 of the great Black Bear players would make a huge difference on a Class A football team.
The Overbay kid is a good sized young man and I do hear he has some work ethic.
Overbay wasn't much of a factor as a freshmen, but he was probably the best player of the group in junior and has great size. I question whether his future is at running back though. I doubt Harlan has enough quality linemen to play him there.
How many seniors this upcoming season?
Three large offensive linemen. That's it from what I understand.
Dungy Wrote:Can't imagine that's the reason, but it is true that 1 or 2 of the great Black Bear players would make a huge difference on a Class A football team.

Probably 1 or 2 from Harlan that could make a difference on the Black Bear
5A team.