Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(19) Tennessee 74 - (2) Kentucky 65
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:First of all.. If any team in America should be complaining about refs, then it certainly shouldn't be UK. Your team gets more calls than any team I've watched all year. Your big men hang all over the opposing teams backs, Cousins can run over whoever he wants to and its somehow a block, Wall just has to drive to the basket and he draws a touch foul... Its the same thing just about every game. Maybe you didn't get as many calls go your way today in Knoxville, but there were a lot of questionable calls that did go your way. Plus, UK did shoot 10 more free throws than UT(27-17).

The problem was your team wasn't ready to play. I heard Calipari on the news saying that UK didn't even have a shoot around.. Seriously? Not very smart and it obviously showed with the horrible shooting UK displayed. The better team, today, won the game. Once again, Bruce Pearl out coached Calipari. Good game, GO VOLS!

yeah pearl has accomplished alot at tennessee. wins like this doesnt mean anything when they lose in the SEC tourney and go out 1st and 2nd round in the NCAA tourney.
greenstuff22 Wrote:yeah pearl has accomplished alot at tennessee. wins like this doesnt mean anything when they lose in the SEC tourney and go out 1st and 2nd round in the NCAA tourney.

a W is a W! Jeez they may go out the NCAA early but SC odds are they wont make it! and they beat UK! My favorite player happends to play for SC and id love to see it but UK is the better team just wasnt that night...Same here...By not giving his team a shootaround..thats not very good coaching!
Good lord. UK played awful today didn't shoot very well, got outscored in the paint, and didnt play very good defense.
Enough already.
theVILLE Wrote:a W is a W! Jeez they may go out the NCAA early but SC odds are they wont make it! and they beat UK! My favorite player happends to play for SC and id love to see it but UK is the better team just wasnt that night...Same here...By not giving his team a shootaround..thats not very good coaching!

lol i think we know it was a fluke. you seen what happened to your favorite player. him and his team got dominated and the little guy shot terrible and got swatted on most of his attempts at the goal. and there are no odds for south carolina, they simply wont make it. no odds there.
IMO Who the **** cares, they're assured a number 1 seed in the tournament if they (and they will) win the SEC tournament and its not March yet. We can complain and **** and moan if they get bounced early in the tournament. But this sure as heck beats debating the merit to put UK in the NCAA like we have the past few years. Everybody loses from time to time. Hey they played a dangerous and good team in UT and got beat at their place. No big deal let's not over react. This team probably needed that because they are young and have been getting too much hype for a team that is mostly freshman and sophomores. So let's just sit back and appreciate the fact that we're already in and that we have the best team in the country and wait for the tournament to roll around so we can hang another banner up at Rupp.
theVILLE Wrote:[/COLOR]
Never defeated, always cheated!

Thats the only way the CATS can get beat
UK lost this game all by themselves.
Article from the Tennessean:

Tennessee Coach Bruce Pearl gathered his team before it left the locker room to play No. 2 Kentucky on Saturday.
He asked them how they wanted to be remembered after this season is over.

"I told them if they didn't beat Kentucky, this won't be a great season,'' Pearl said after his team built a 19-point lead early in the second half, saw Kentucky tie it up late before the Vols steadied the ship to take a 74-65 decision

It would have been something to see how the Volunteers would have reacted if they have lost this game. Their season really could have been over. Pearl is really over the top and it sounds like he takes a lot of chances trying to motivate his players. I just hope they backfire soon.

Compare Tennessee's players against Kentucky's and it is no match.
Some pre-NBA mock drafts have Kentucky with three lottery picks — junior Patrick Patterson and freshmen DeMarcus Cousins and John Wall.
But this was a 19th-ranked Tennessee team that refused to lose. The Vols weathered a 30-11 Kentucky run. At one point the Vols went 6½ minutes and scored only two points.

Not being able to get over the hump during the Volunteer drought was a big key to the loss for the Cats. Coach Cal said the team was worn out and they didn't have a shoot around before the game because of it. It showed.

I knew they were going to come back, and I was a little worried because to me Kentucky is the best team in the country in the last five minutes of the game'' admitted Vols point guard Bobby Maze. "John Wall just fires away or drives and kicks the ball out (to open shooters).''
And what can be said about J.P. Prince, the Memphis southpaw with arguably the ugliest free throw form in college basketball? Prince made them when it counted. He hit four straight foul shots for the Vols' final points.

I like teams to think the Cats are going to come back. Thinking like that can get teams to play more cautious and making it inevitable the Cats will have a chance to win even whey they play bad. Prince won the game and it looked early on Coach Cal was going to let him beat them if he could. He did.

Everybody knew they would pick J.P. I knew they would pick J.P.,'' Maze said. "He told us in the huddle that they picked the wrong man.''
A 58.9 percent career free throw shooter, Prince delivered.
"The only thing that matters is if you make them in the clutch,'' Prince said. "Nobody remembers what happens in the first half, but everybody remembers what happens in the last few minutes. That is what I want. I am running for the ball when the game is on the line.''

Prince hit the shots and the Cats lost. Can't fault the decision to foul him.

And it was Bruce Pearl who gave the rest of college basketball the recipe for beating a talented, but young, Kentucky team.
Tennessee started in man defense, but chose to play zone for much of the game. It proved effective. It led to a 40-29 halftime lead as Kentucky shot 24.1 percent from the field and hit only 1 for 11 from behind the 3-point line.
Pearl knew it wouldn't last.
"They're good. They are really good,'' Pearl said of the 27-2 'Cats. "They played Thursday night. They traveled and played early (Saturday). I thought fatigue was a bit of a factor.
"The zone clearly slows them down. Your game plan for beating Kentucky starts inside. You have to start where they are dominant. It's the way to play them. We had to play zone. We're not a great zone team, but it was a pretty good match-up. Syracuse would not hold that team to 35 percent (from the field), and they are a zone team.''
For the Vols, it was one day in a season to remember.

I think anyone that coaches basketball can figure out how to beat the Cats, not just Bruce Pearl. Make the Cats hit shots!! Don't let them get the ball in the paint and make them hit the 3. If the Cats doesn't get more consistent from the perimeter it could be a very short run in March.

http://www.nationofblue.com/what-they-sa...apers-488/

NOTE: The Bald Black is what they had in Italic Lettering
UK knew what environment they were going to encounter at Tenn. Yes, the refs were horrible but who didn't expect this. They shot horribly. They deserved to lose regardless of the the refs. I will say that games like this is why Cousins won't be back. He gets beat to death and nothing is called. If he touches someone, he is called for a foul. It reminds me of Shaq Oneil's days at LSU.
greenstuff22 Wrote:lol i think we know it was a fluke. you seen what happened to your favorite player. him and his team got dominated and the little guy shot terrible and got swatted on most of his attempts at the goal. and there are no odds for south carolina, they simply wont make it. no odds there.

Does this mean that wall is a fluke...Downey out shot him at rupp and outscored him both times, had more assists, steals, had more rebounds at SC, less turnovers??Not saying wall is a fluke, but when a player does well against your team you all think he is a fluke or something! Give him credit!
CATFAN2 Wrote:Thats the only way the CATS can get beat

haha you go another coming my friend!
theVILLE Wrote:Does this mean that wall is a fluke...Downey out shot him at rupp and outscored him both times, had more assists, steals, had more rebounds at SC, less turnovers??Not saying wall is a fluke, but when a player does well against your team you all think he is a fluke or something! Give him credit!

Lol Downey was 9-29, He shot more shots than Wall but that it.
I mean really, Look up the facts before you say stuff on here!
RavenBoy Wrote:Lol Downey was 9-29, He shot more shots than Wall but that it.
I mean really, Look up the facts before you say stuff on here!

Maybe you didnt see the stats at rupp??Wall shot more shots than he had in points....Downey shot a better % and had more steals, assists, and less turnovers!
theVILLE Wrote:Does this mean that wall is a fluke...Downey out shot him at rupp and outscored him both times, had more assists, steals, had more rebounds at SC, less turnovers??Not saying wall is a fluke, but when a player does well against your team you all think he is a fluke or something! Give him credit!

lol. this is funny. considering wall is on a team that has 7-10 other guys that can score and 2 guys on the court all the time that almost average 10 rebounds a game. so if its an accomplishment to do what downey does for south carolina then thats insane. he has to do that cause no one else on the team can because they are garbage IMO. so if you think downey would still do this on a team like kansas,kentucky,syracuse, ect. then you have no brains at all.
what doesnt kill you, will make you stronger
tyler smith called and told them if they didn't win then he would have to shank them. haha.
greenstuff22 Wrote:tyler smith called and told them if they didn't win then he would have to shank them. haha.

I think Tennessee just made another lay up against UK's "stingy" defense.
A ZONE GIVES UK FITS! Syracuse would beat them to death right now...by tourney time they better figure something out!
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:I think Tennessee just made another lay up against UK's "stingy" defense.

I think Tennessee Athletics supplies the state prison with most of its criminals.

theVILLE Wrote:A ZONE GIVES UK FITS! Syracuse would beat them to death right now...by tourney time they better figure something out!

Yea. Mr Sharp Shooter Darnel Dodson needs to start hitting some 3s. Patterson Needs to shoot some 3s, hes clearly one of the best 3 point shooters on the team. 5-6 3s a game and we should have no problem getting to the final 4.
A good zone defense, which Cuse does have, would dominate the Cats. They have never found the right system to beat the zone and we have definitely not been hitting our 3's.
If we were to meet up with the Orange in the tourney, then we would be handed a big, fat L IMO.
FoOtBaLl FrEaK 8-0 Wrote:A good zone defense, which Cuse does have, would dominate the Cats. They have never found the right system to beat the zone and we have definitely not been hitting our 3's.
If we were to meet up with the Orange in the tourney, then we would be handed a big, fat L IMO.

UL beat Syracuse by making 4 3,s. And i know we have bigger big men than UL, no offense Ville. Its not going to take great 3 point shooting.

Going to take us making plays from the defensive end which we didnt do at all vs Tennessee.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:UL beat Syracuse by making 4 3,s. And i know we have bigger big men than UL, no offense Ville. Its not going to take great 3 point shooting.

Going to take us making plays from the defensive end which we didnt do at all vs Tennessee.

I agree, they have bigger big men..with the exception to maybe cousins louisvilles bigs is playing better RIGHT NOW! Your right it doesnt take great shotters to beat a zone..it takes screens and finding ways to get to the basket...
^ Yep
Wildcatk23 Wrote:UL beat Syracuse by making 4 3,s. And i know we have bigger big men than UL, no offense Ville. Its not going to take great 3 point shooting.

You're right in the fact that you don't have to go crazy from deep to beat the zone, although it does help to have a better percentage. But you do have to admit that UK has GREATLY struggled with anyone who has run an effective zone and that Syracuse has one of the most effective zone defenses in the country.
maybe the ref's read the article written last weekend about their so-called "foul call bias" in favor of UK and wanted to prove a point....just saying...
PhiSlamaJama-JP4236 Wrote:maybe the ref's read the article written last weekend about their so-called "foul call bias" in favor of UK and wanted to prove a point....just saying...
Good point, my friend..lets hope that article doesnt go any further, lol..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UT really did deserve this game, they came out with a good plan and moved their defense throughout the whole game. I think that the Thursday game really did play into the burst that UK had coming off of tip. They seemed sluggish in their actions and decisions. I think that once they ended getting into a flow for offense (mostly Wall driving) they had too big of a hole to dig out of. I think that it was not that bad of a lose and really we can not expect a freshmen led team to win in the hardest road environments. I think that it is a really good building tool for Cal and the staff to use to conduct a new defensive scheme and show faults in the teams play right now. Either was it was a good win for the Vols, they wanted it more that day but overall it will not effect anything in the grand scheme of things.