Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Chicken Fighting Part of Our Heritage?
I am appalled at the comment that chicken fighting is part of our heritage. So for this reason is should be allowed to be left as a mideameanor. We have people that comes from the other states (40) that have made it a felony to take part in this practice, with the betting, and watch animals kill each other. But, they are opposed to slot machines at the race tracks, so everybody in Kentucky runs to the Ohio or Indiana state line to give them their money anyway. Yet they have no problem with the fighting that goes on along with the betting. I wonder how Greg Stumbo would like one of the these chicken fighting places up on the hill where StoneCrest is so that he can listen to it at night while he tries to sleep. The problem comes in when it is not against the law to possess, raise, train, adverdise, or trade these cockfighters You can drive around and see these things penned up in cages and you know what they are there for. I think that they should be stopped from the beginning of raising them. I'm sorry but this is not a heritage I want to be associated with, Kentucky Basketball, now that's our heritage, not chickenfighting.
Cockfighting is a part of everyone's heritage. It just about the oldest form of sport/entertainment that there is. It has been around since before Christ and is in every region of the world.
So what if people are raising these birds. That isn't against the law. Even though we know pretty much why they are raising them. It's still not against the law.
I have lived in EKY my entire life. Aside from the 6 1/2 years I spent in the military. I have known many, many good people who partook or partake in this. It is what they have always done for generations. To be honest with you. People kill me. You never hear them complain when they are taking a big bite out of that Original Recipe Chicken Breast from KFC or when they are dipping their 911 Wings in Ranch Sauce at Hooters. Have you ever seen how those chickens are raised? Those chickens whole goal in life is to die just to feed you and I. At least a Gamecock has a fighting chance to live. A lot of these game birds live better than some people do.
I have NEVER been to one of these events. And I am neither for nor against it. BUT, I can say this. I would much rather see someone raising these game birds, than see a bunch a meth labs cooking. We have much BIGGER problems (DRUGS) in EKY than some one fighting roosters. That's just my personal opinion.
Slavery is a part of everyone's heritage as well, but it has no place in a Civil World, RIGHT? No way it can be justified or accepted in soceity. The argument of "What used to be" no longer hold water.

I don't drag my wife around by her hair, nor cook all of my dead meat over burning sticks. If I need milk, I don't go pull it from a Cow, so to think that Dog Fighting, Cockfigitng or any other fighting is still acceptable in any soceity is still arcahic and an example of of a culture that has not muatured enough to have the intelligence to type on a computer for a social network on the internet!
Stardust Wrote:Slavery is a part of everyone's heritage as well, but it has no place in a Civil World, RIGHT? No way it can be justified or accepted in soceity. The argument of "What used to be" no longer hold water.

I don't drag my wife around by her hair, nor cook all of my dead meat over burning sticks. If I need milk, I don't go pull it from a Cow, so to think that Dog Fighting, Cockfigitng or any other fighting is still acceptable in any soceity is still arcahic and an example of of a culture that has not muatured enough to have the intelligence to type on a computer for a social network on the internet!

So I guess we just need to go ahead ban wrestling, boxing and all forms of MMA. Since they are forms of "fighting".

Talk about intelligence: these are right.
society, cockfighting, archaic, matured and only one of.

First off Admin or not. Why say what you said? We were just begining a civil debate, with NO insults or NO question of anyone's intelligence, I might add. Ahhh, The stuff great Admins are made of..:Shaking:

Second. When questioning other people's intelligence...at least use spell check. Cause someone WILL correct you. :biggrin:
OffTheHook Wrote:So I guess we just need to go ahead ban wrestling, boxing and all forms of MMA. Since they are forms of "fighting".

First off Admin or not. Why say what you said? We were just begining a civil debate, with NO insults or NO question of anyone's intelligence, I might add. Ahhh, The stuff great Admins are made of..:Shaking:

Second. When questioning other people's intelligence...at least use spell check. Cause someone WILL correct you. :biggrin:

:igiveup:
OffTheHook Wrote:So I guess we just need to go ahead ban wrestling, boxing and all forms of MMA. Since they are forms of "fighting".

Looks like you are too sensitive to have a debate! :popcorn:
I cannot equate cockfighting with dog fights. Left to their nature dogs will fight only to establish the Alpha dog of the pack, and seldom to the death. If there are two roosters in the barnyard at daybreak there will be only one by nightfall.
As far as humane treatment prior to their death, a Gamecock lives the life of a thoroughbread while their domestic counterparts live the life of a, well, animal factory chicken.
I'm not for chicken fighting but I think there are worse things you could do, but if it's going on why not tax it and give the money to the horse people so they will hush about their racetrack slot machines.
My biggest problem with cockfighting are the stereotypes that come with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:Looks like you are too sensitive to have a debate! :popcorn:

Hold on brother. Not to sensitive. Just kinda agitated me the way you just chimed in saying people weren't mature or intelligent. When you just straight up showed both of those traits. Because neither I nor mrsportsfan had said anything to warrant such a response from you.
I love it, but it will cost you a pretty penny!
OffTheHook Wrote:Cockfighting is a part of everyone's heritage. It just about the oldest form of sport/entertainment that there is. It has been around since before Christ and is in every region of the world.
So what if people are raising these birds. That isn't against the law. Even though we know pretty much why they are raising them. It's still not against the law.
I have lived in EKY my entire life. Aside from the 6 1/2 years I spent in the military. I have known many, many good people who partook or partake in this. It is what they have always done for generations. To be honest with you. People kill me. You never hear them complain when they are taking a big bite out of that Original Recipe Chicken Breast from KFC or when they are dipping their 911 Wings in Ranch Sauce at Hooters. Have you ever seen how those chickens are raised? Those chickens whole goal in life is to die just to feed you and I. At least a Gamecock has a fighting chance to live. A lot of these game birds live better than some people do.
I have NEVER been to one of these events. And I am neither for nor against it. BUT, I can say this. I would much rather see someone raising these game birds, than see a bunch a meth labs cooking. We have much BIGGER problems (DRUGS) in EKY than some one fighting roosters. That's just my personal opinion.

It just warms my heart that at least one of the two chickens have a chance of surviving. Gee, how kind of the people raising them, that at least one of them have a chance of survivial. Our past heritage during bible times was to throw people into the lion's den or behead them. It was and is barbaric.That is why it is no longer practiced. God put animals here to be used for food. Not that a chicken dies in fighting, and then is disposed of. Don't try and tell me you eat them later. My family hunts, deer and turkey. When I was growing up, I hated it, I still do. Do I like turkey meat, chicken, and deer, yes? Like my Dad explained, if these animals are not weeded out during the hunting season, they will starve to death due to the lack of food in the woods. Not to mention the amount of car accidents they cause. If chickens just fight naturally, why the added barbaric need for the piece that is used to make the injuries. occur faster, and bloodier? Out of all the states, why are we so long in catching up to the rest of society, especially the civil ones?
mrsportsfan Wrote:It just warms my heart that at least one of the two chickens have a chance of surviving. Gee, how kind of the people raising them, that at least one of them have a chance of survivial. Our past heritage during bible times was to throw people into the lion's den or behead them. It was and is barbaric.That is why it is no longer practiced. God put animals here to be used for food. Not that a chicken dies in fighting, and then is disposed of. Don't try and tell me you eat them later. My family hunts, deer and turkey. When I was growing up, I hated it, I still do. Do I like turkey meat, chicken, and deer, yes? Like my Dad explained, if these animals are not weeded out during the hunting season, they will starve to death due to the lack of food in the woods. Not to mention the amount of car accidents they cause. If chickens just fight naturally, why the added barbaric need for the piece that is used to make the injuries. occur faster, and bloodier? Out of all the states, why are we so long in catching up to the rest of society, especially the civil ones?

You know...If we did this to child molesters and murders, who are beyond a shadow of a doubt guilty. We would have a whole lot less of these crimes, I bet ya...lol. But, we want to be humane and clothe, feed, house, provide dental, medical and treat them as if they deserve a second chance for the rest of their lives. What about the poor little girl or boy they molested or the person they murdered. What second chance do they get? I'll tell ya.....NONE! So I say..throw them to the lions or cut off their heads or maybe even both and broadcast it for everyone to see. People would start thinking twice before they acted.

You guys keep trying to throw these old ways out there. All I did was answer your question with a little fact.
You asked "Is Chicken Fighting Part of Our Heritage?". And I answered. "Cockfighting is a part of everyone's heritage. It just about the oldest form of sport/entertainment that there is. It has been around since before Christ and is in every region of the world." I never said it was fine now just because it was then. Just trying to show that it's not just here. It's every where. :Thumbs:
bet everyone of you who agree with chickenfighting also see nothing wrong with USC fighting as entertainment either. Because you like to be entertained, be blood and the urge, or ability to see who holds out the longest. Just happens in chickenfighting, one must give up it's life. Now since this idea works to entertain people I would suggest the USC, use it as a way to pit two death row inmates and let them have at it, till one dies. Maybe we can get some rights for the victims, instead of the person who did whatever got them to death row. I'm sure whatever atrocity they did to get there isn't as bad as two men fighting to the death. A guy on death row last week died at the age of 90 some, he'd been there since his thirty's. Now that's one of the thing's wrong with the U.S.
mrsportsfan Wrote:bet everyone of you who agree with chickenfighting also see nothing wrong with USC fighting as entertainment either. Because you like to be entertained, be blood and the urge, or ability to see who holds out the longest. Just happens in chickenfighting, one must give up it's life. Now since this idea works to entertain people I would suggest the USC, use it as a way to pit two death row inmates and let them have at it, till one dies. Maybe we can get some rights for the victims, instead of the person who did whatever got them to death row. I'm sure whatever atrocity they did to get there isn't as bad as two men fighting to the death. A guy on death row last week died at the age of 90 some, he'd been there since his thirty's. Now that's one of the thing's wrong with the U.S.

:rockon: Nice post. Would have saved the tax payers a fortune to let two of them go at it! :Thumbs:
I would watch that quicker than two chickens!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
I don't understand how chicken fighting is against the law when there is a big chicken fighting arena in Big Creek??!!
I totally agree with OffTheHook.:Thumbs: From what I have read from other people's post all I get out of them is they're just a bunch of tree huggers. And just like someone already said, they're bigger problems going on in EKY than chicken fighting?:please:
So what are the possitives out of chicken fighting? Dinner afterwards? :popcorn:
I am in no way for **** fighting...but i do think that boxing and wrestling are ok...I mean there humans they choose to do it on there on...**** fighting, we throw them in there to fight...Dog fighting we throw small dogs into the big dogs..when they have no chance to win!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
^ My point exactly. We, the intelligent beings, are training those being with no rights nor choice and training them to kill each other. Human nature at it's best. Let's let something else put itself in harms way and we'll just set back and watch.....
I don't know about chicken fighting but chicken frying sure is.
Stardust Wrote:So what are the possitives out of chicken fighting? Dinner afterwards? :popcorn:

What are the negatives? A few less chickens in the world? There are more chickens in the world than they are humans anyways. Chicken fighting is more than just two chickens going at it til the death.
Chicken fighting is cruel and is worth the felony charge that is behind it. Many people compare Chicken fighting to that of boxers, but boxers know what they are going into, and have a choice as to whether he will fight. Chickens have no choice. They have no choice as to their breeding pairs, owners, or jobs. It is senseless and has not place in a civilized society.
I am no fan of cockfighting but I think police departments and our courts have bigger fish to fry. If a law is on the books, then it should be enforced. Laws against cockfighting should not be on the books. They drain resources from real problems.

To be consistent, I also favor repealing laws against dueling - at least among our elected officials. :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am no fan of cockfighting but I think police departments and our courts have bigger fish to fry. If a law is on the books, then it should be enforced. Laws against cockfighting should not be on the books. They drain resources from real problems.

To be consistent, I also favor repealing laws against dueling - at least among our elected officials. :biggrin:

There is bigger fish to fry..I mean drugs and such...but i still say that it is a felony and should be illegal! I mean throwing an animal into a ring thatfight til there deadm thats a felony...I mean if we were to arrange for persont o be killed it is a FELONY! but we arrange for chicken to be killed by another chicken then it is not??There are no real positves to cockfighting!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:There is bigger fish to fry..I mean drugs and such...but i still say that it is a felony and should be illegal! I mean throwing an animal into a ring thatfight til there deadm thats a felony...I mean if we were to arrange for persont o be killed it is a FELONY! but we arrange for chicken to be killed by another chicken then it is not??There are no real positves to cockfighting!

First let me say that I'm not a fan of fighting roosters, and as I've said many times that a meal is not a meal without some type of meat (beef, chichen, pork etc.). But I have to ask is there really a big difference between fightings chickens til their death and going to the local restaurant and ordering a chicken dinner? Either way the chicken will lose their life.
Old School Wrote:First let me say that I'm not a fan of fighting roosters, and as I've said many times that a meal is not a meal without some type of meat (beef, chichen, pork etc.). But I have to ask is there really a big difference between fightings chickens til their death and going to the local restaurant and ordering a chicken dinner? Either way the chicken will lose their life.

Yes there is...kinda sorta maybe lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
Old School Wrote:First let me say that I'm not a fan of fighting roosters, and as I've said many times that a meal is not a meal without some type of meat (beef, chichen, pork etc.). But I have to ask is there really a big difference between fightings chickens til their death and going to the local restaurant and ordering a chicken dinner? Either way the chicken will lose their life.
And in the case of a fighting rooster, he gets a chance to live and fight another day or to die with some dignity. A Tyson chicken is just passing time confined in a small space and getting fat until it's his turn to die and become an anonymous plate of chicken parts.
How can you people compare eating chicken to letting roosters fight?
Does not make a bit of sense.
I dont have a DOG in this fight (duh-duh CHHHHHH!) :Clap:
Because....
Ive never fought a chicken one on one..(duh-duh CHHHHH!) :Clap:

Thank you, thank you. Dont worry, Ill be here all week :1:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ballers Wrote:How can you people compare eating chicken to letting roosters fight?
Does not make a bit of sense.

The point I was trying to make was that chickens are raise for two reasons either for the eggs or for Sunday dinner. These large corporations raise chickens for both. Which brings me to this question. Is there really difference between roosters fighting to their death or chickens being raised and then slaughtered to be Sunday Dinner?