Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK: Who's coming back?
Aslan Wrote:It's really best that he goes. He's going to be the first pick in the draft. If he comes back, he'll risk getting injured, and it would cost him millions.

i think every player should stay and get some type of degree. i mean who is to say that in the first season of his career he doesnt get hurt, of course he will have enough money to do him for a while. but what does he do after its all gone? thats where education comes into play. i think thats why patrick patterson stayed, hes a smart man. these one and done players dont think long term because most of them are barely 19 years old, not fully mature and want to be in the spotlight. wall should stay and try to get his degree, its for his benefit.
Aslan Wrote:It's really best that he goes. He's going to be the first pick in the draft. If he comes back, he'll risk getting injured, and it would cost him millions.

they can get there self insured by Lods of London
I say let him make his own decision. Cal should have little to no input in his decision-making process. Wall is a big boy.
Think about Gred Oden? What has happen to him?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
cuppett777 Wrote:i would agree with that if they got a consistant 3 point shooter..

Absolutely agree with you. It was not experience of lack of talent with this group, it was what we all talked about before the first bounce, lack of three point shooting. If you can't shoot the three pointer, you don't make it to the Finals. Another year for Dodson and Miller "may" improve, but they need to recruit pure shooters. I'm not sure that Cal has ever played those type of players in any system that he has ran in the past, so I'm not sure we will see pure shooters anytime soon.
Stardust Wrote:Absolutely agree with you. It was not experience of lack of talent with this group, it was what we all talked about before the first bounce, lack of three point shooting. If you can't shoot the three pointer, you don't make it to the Finals. Another year for Dodson and Miller "may" improve, but they need to recruit pure shooters. [B]I'm not sure that Cal has ever played those type of players in any system that he has ran in the past, so I'm not sure we will see pure shooters anytime soon.[/B]

I can't really argue with that. Let's think back to his UMass and Memphis teams. Does anyone ever remember a player with his best attribute being shooting? I really can't.

Supposedly, Brandon Knight would fit this void. Still though, UK needs not only one, but a couple of pure shooters even if they don't start or play a significant amount of minutes. Cal was on the air saying, "I've had people tell me 'If you just had two shooters to go along with the way you guys play, you'd be unstoppable'.'' The thing about that is it's probably the truth. I mean, look how good of a season Kentucky had this year without even one consistent shooter.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I can't really argue with that. Let's think back to his UMass and Memphis teams. Does anyone ever remember a player with his best attribute being shooting? I really can't.

Supposedly, Brandon Knight would fit this void. Still though, UK needs not only one, but a couple of pure shooters even if they don't start or play a significant amount of minutes. Cal was on the air saying, "I've had people tell me 'If you just had two shooters to go along with the way you guys play, you'd be unstoppable'.'' The thing about that is it's probably the truth. I mean, look how good of a season Kentucky had this year without even one consistent shooter.

Anyone who knows me knows I am not a big fan of Coach Cal. I could not stand him for his "Teflon Don" image and even though charges could never stick, the image he portrayed before arriving at UK just sickened me. Now that he is at UK, my gut still does not like him, but just like the President that I did not vote for, I have to wish him the best, because if I wish him the worst, then it hurts "My Team".

That said, Cal has never been a fan of the Post up Center, or the Camped out perimeter shooter. His teams are athletic and can play end to end basketball. The closest we will get to a perimeter player is someone of the ilk of Darnell Dodson. Someone who can shoot from the outside, but also play defense and perform in the dribble drive. There are not too many players that will shoot 45%+ from the arc but also be athletic enough to play in the style that Cal plays. Thus, I don't think we will ever see a Scheyer of dUKe, Acker of Marquette, Canaan of Murray St. Fredette of BYU, but I am OK with that. I think we can win with a Dodson or Miller type of player if we can get a player to consistently hit 30% of their threes. Our problem this year was that Miller, Dodson and Bledsoe could all go 8-10 in one game and 1-10 in the next three. That is not going to make you successful. I'll take the 30% guy from the arc if he can shoot 30% consistently.

Cal does not need to change his style of play or recruit a different type of athlete than what he has been successful with, he just needs to find the one guy each year that can play his style of basketball but shoot a consistent enough % to keep the other team honest. In fairness to Cal, Dodson was supposed to do that. Miller was given the chance to start, not because of his defense, but because of his ability to shoot the three. Neither gave the team what we hoped for. Bledsoe was a pleasant surprise at times behind the arc, and if he sticks around next year, may well be able to improve upon his consistency.
lwc Wrote:Yeah, if he stays he could end up like Tebow and Bradford...getting hurt! Whatever he chooses, I will be happy. If he stays CATS will be even better. If he goes, UK's recruiting gets better. CATS win either way.

Tebow-Back in 2 weeks. We all knew he wasn't going to be drafted high anyways. What did he have to lose? That was a crushing blow that he took but he is tough and was back in no time.

Bradford-Yeah, he sat out all year. But as recently as today I saw him going first in the NFL draft to the Rams. Even with a season ending injury like the one he sustained he still manages to climb his way to the top of the draft board.

Wall could do the same thing. Although the injuries that you get in basketball are different from football it doesn't mean that he couldn't recover from them in a years time and still be the number one pick. And ALL OF THIS is just ASSUMING he were to get hurt. There is no way to determine whether he would or not. That is just left up to fate. And if I were Wall I would take my chances. He is a basketball god at Kentucky now! Wy give that up???
Stardust Wrote:Anyone who knows me knows I am not a big fan of Coach Cal. I could not stand him for his "Teflon Don" image and even though charges could never stick, the image he portrayed before arriving at UK just sickened me. Now that he is at UK, my gut still does not like him, but just like the President that I did not vote for, I have to wish him the best, because if I wish him the worst, then it hurts "My Team".

That said, Cal has never been a fan of the Post up Center, or the Camped out perimeter shooter. His teams are athletic and can play end to end basketball. The closest we will get to a perimeter player is someone of the ilk of Darnell Dodson. Someone who can shoot from the outside, but also play defense and perform in the dribble drive. There are not too many players that will shoot 45%+ from the arc but also be athletic enough to play in the style that Cal plays. Thus, I don't think we will ever see a Scheyer of dUKe, Acker of Marquette, Canaan of Murray St. Fredette of BYU, but I am OK with that. I think we can win with a Dodson or Miller type of player if we can get a player to consistently hit 30% of their threes. Our problem this year was that Miller, Dodson and Bledsoe could all go 8-10 in one game and 1-10 in the next three. That is not going to make you successful. I'll take the 30% guy from the arc if he can shoot 30% consistently.

Cal does not need to change his style of play or recruit a different type of athlete than what he has been successful with, he just needs to find the one guy each year that can play his style of basketball but shoot a consistent enough % to keep the other team honest. In fairness to Cal, Dodson was supposed to do that. Miller was given the chance to start, not because of his defense, but because of his ability to shoot the three. Neither gave the team what we hoped for. Bledsoe was a pleasant surprise at times behind the arc, and if he sticks around next year, may well be able to improve upon his consistency.

I agree with all of this.

Some may not like Coach Cal and the way he carries himself, but the man can coach. And the man can recruit. I don't care who you're playing, five straight 30+ win seasons sounds like a pretty good mark to me.

But to get to the recruiting of consistent shooters, players like Bledsoe, Dodson, and Miller would hit 4-5 from beyond the arc one game (usually the same game) and go 1-6 the next couple of games. Their percentages were in the 30's because they would be red hot one out of every five games. You can't have that.

Still, like you SD, I like the players Cal recruits. They are more athletic than anyone in the country and are best suited for the dribble-drive offense. Long wing men like Darius Miller, DeAndre Liggins, and Darnell Dodson are perfect. Some of the kids he is/has recruiting for the upcoming classes (C.J. Leslie, Mike Gilchrist, Doron Lamb, Stacey Poole, etc.) are prime examples as well. Cal knows what he wants and is very good at finding out who fits the system best. A lot of players want to play the way UK plays because of the freedom in the offense. It is very appealing. That's a big reason why the Wildcats have got/are getting these big named recruits. It's only going to continue. Cal, Antigua, and the rest of the coaching staff just have to find some guys that can consistently shoot as well. There are some out there and Cal will discover and pursue them.
^ Excellent Post, very well articulated!:Thumbs: