Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky's Season
Was it a success?
SEC regular season and tournament champs.
Second overall #1 seed.
Bounced in the elite 8.
Personally, I don't think so. Wall is going to be the number one overall pick. Cousins and PP are potential lottery picks. Bledsoe and Orton are possibly first rounders also. With five future NBA players and most the better teams already beat out, an elite 8 finish at UK is disappointing. Cal wasn't brought here to get UK to elite 8's, Tubby did that. IMO Cal is an elite recruiter, not an elite coach. That's just the truth. He should of won it at Memphis and he should of won this year.
What say you?
I figured Elite 8 at the start of the season, so yeah I am dissapointed but i think we will be a champion in the next two years.

What I am upset with is how we played tonite and how we got beat. UK played as poorly as I have saw them all year and WVU shot better than they have in their entire exsistance.
for me there is no question that this was unacceptable, this was a team that doesn't even need coaching. 5 players starting that WILL be in the nba, and we can't at least get to the title game. most deffinitely a disappointing season. im not saying fire cal and all that bull. just not close to what could, and should have been. hopefully wall and his no defense mindset chooses to leave UK tonight.
Yeah, it was a terrible season. Fire Calipari NOW! 35-3 doesnt get it done here, especially coming off of an NIT season, and four straight 13+ loss seasons. This team underachieved, and its all Cal's fault. Pull everyones scholarships and send them walking! Get us some players that can play and a coach that can coach!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Did anyone watch the Vandy game this year? Wall and his no defense?

Some of you guys are out there.

WVU shot like 200% tonite from three. On the season they shoot worse than UK from there. Sometimes the best team loses.
It was a successful season with a disappointing end. I am not sure that any coach can rely on so many freshmen and win a title with them. Experience is important in March and there are no short cuts to getting it. I am just relieved that Billy Gillispie is gone because he could not recruit, was not a good fit for the community, and he was not much of an X and Os guy either, IMO.

Coach Cal will learn from this season and become a better coach from this season's experience. I am already looking forward to next year.
Tonight I am upset. In a few weeks, I will look back and consider this a good finish.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Did anyone watch the Vandy game this year? Wall and his no defense?
Some of you guys are out there.

WVU shot like 200% tonite from three. On the season they shoot worse than UK from there. Sometimes the best team loses.

Mazulla averages 2.2pts per game!!!!!! he had 15+. at no point did he just flat out take Wall to the rim and score on him, he had most of his pts off of uncontested layups.
Yea one time he blew by him. The rest he came off screens.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah, it was a terrible season. Fire Calipari NOW! 35-3 doesnt get it done here, especially coming off of an NIT season, and four straight 13+ loss seasons. This team underachieved, and its all Cal's fault. Pull everyones scholarships and send them walking! Get us some players that can play and a coach that can coach!

Love the sarcasm. What was Cal brought here to do? Get bounced in the elite 8, with him coaching the most talented team? Tubby brought UK elite 8's and he got ran off. There's a big difference in elite 8 appearences and final 4 appearences. UK has not been to the final 4 in what, 12 years? This was Cal's best chance to win it with the most talent and the other 1's aleady beat out. I don't see Cal recruiting another team this good.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Yea one time he blew by him. The rest he came off screens.

Eh IDK. Seems like Wall just gave up a few times when he got a step on him.
greenstuff22 Wrote:Mazulla averages 2.2pts per game!!!!!! he had 15+. at no point did he just flat out take Wall to the rim and score on him, he had most of his pts off of uncontested layups.
Yeah but bro Mazulla was also starting in place of someone..so he took up that slack too. Its not like he came from nowhere. The guy is a Bob Huggins player, a system player, and he played a solid game. 34% shooting, 4-32 from 3-land, and 16-29 from the line is what beat us, and its as simple as that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Who actually believed at the first of the season that Cal would win it all this year? Who had those expectations. He has been here a total of one year!

Plus you say he may not recruit another class this good... UK may get the #1, #2, #3 players in the 2011 class. Thats pretty good.
Aslan Wrote:Was it a success?
SEC regular season and tournament champs.
Second overall #1 seed.
Bounced in the elite 8.
Personally, I don't think so. Wall is going to be the number one overall pick. Cousins and PP are potential lottery picks. Bledsoe and Orton are possibly first rounders also. With five future NBA players and most the better teams already beat out, an elite 8 finish at UK is disappointing. Cal wasn't brought here to get UK to elite 8's, Tubby did that. IMO Cal is an elite recruiter, not an elite coach. That's just the truth. He should of won it at Memphis and he should of won this year.
What say you?

Calipari is a great coach. He lost in Memphis because his players couldn't make free throws, watch the tape again. This team may have 4 or 5 NBA players but they are young and had never played anything by High School before this season. They had a great season and achieved about what I thought. Calipari can't go out and shoot for them and make free throws. Could they have won it all? YES, but so could have Kansas and they also have 4 or 5 NBA players and they lost to a mid major. Should they go out and fire Bill Self?? You need to get a grip and realize that KY had a bunch of Freshmen and it showed tonight.
Aslan Wrote:Love the sarcasm. What was Cal brought here to do? Get bounced in the elite 8, with him coaching the most talented team? Tubby brought UK elite 8's and he got ran off. There's a big difference in elite 8 appearences and final 4 appearences. UK has not been to the final 4 in what, 12 years? This was Cal's best chance to win it with the most talent and the other 1's aleady beat out. I don't see Cal recruiting another team this good.
Only in Kentucky, and I mean ONLY in Kentucky does a team win 35 games (after an NIT season and 4 straight 13+ loss seasons) with a first year coach, and a team full of freshmen, and ***** about it. Unbelievable. I hope they all do go pro, and Cal leaves, and then you can have Billy G or Tubby back, and go 21-13, bounced in the second round every year with a bunch of 6'5 swingmen from here on out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amun-Ra Wrote:Who actually believed at the first of the season that Cal would win it all this year? Who had those expectations. He has been here a total of one year!

Plus you say he may not recruit another class this good... UK may get the #1, #2, #3 players in the 2011 class. Thats pretty good.
Good to know somebody out there has some sense..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
superfreak Wrote:Calipari is a great coach. He lost in Memphis because his players couldn't make free throws, watch the tape again. This team may have 4 or 5 NBA players but they are young and had never played anything by High School before this season. They had a great season and achieved about what I thought. Calipari can't go out and shoot for them and make free throws. Could they have won it all? YES, but so could have Kansas and they also have 4 or 5 NBA players and they lost to a mid major. Should they go out and fire Bill Self?? You need to get a grip and realize that KY had a bunch of Freshmen and it showed tonight.
Excellent post, my friend :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UK congrats on a heck of a season! i for one am shocked tho that you guys were 35-3! I reall think your record was about 25-13 or something lol...You found a way to win though! If there was an achilles this team we saw it in FT's and 3 pt shooting! I can seat here and say that you only beat 1 team that was in the tourney and wasnt in your conference! Well hey you won the big games, you won the SEC REG and Tourney, you beat UNC and beat UCONN! well there in the NIT! But they were top teams then! Again Congrats on a great season! but in order to get to a final four you need pitino! lol i jk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
Experience means nothing. It doesn't hurt to have it, but you don't win because you were more experienced. Look what Final Four experience got Kansas, a second-round departure. Shooting beat Kentucky in the end. There are no consistent shooters on Kentucky's team. I've never seen a guy live and die with confidence shooting the ball like Eric Bledsoe does. If he's confident, he's absolutely unconscious. When his confidence is low, he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I'll say this one more: The thought that experience wins games is a myth. Talent, consistent shooting, good intangibles, and a little luck will win you games. I listed talent first because it the most important. WVU had all of these things I listed tonight and that's why they came away victorious. Don't hand me that experience nonsense!
Above all WVU had luck on their side because they normally dont shoot nowhere near that good from outside.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Experience means nothing. It doesn't hurt to have it, but you don't win because you were more experienced. Look what Final Four experience got Kansas, a second-round departure. Shooting beat Kentucky in the end. There are no consistent shooters on Kentucky's team. I've never seen a guy live and die with confidence shooting the ball like Eric Bledsoe does. If he's confident, he's absolutely unconscious. When his confidence is low, he can't hit the broad side of a barn.

I'll say this one more: The thought that experience wins games is a myth. Talent, consistent shooting, good intangibles, and a little luck will win you games. I listed talent first because it the most important. WVU had all of these things I listed tonight and that's why they came away victorious. Don't hand me that experience nonsense!
What a ridiculous statement. Do you think that Butler would be in the Final Four if its best players, Howard, Mack, and Hayward had all been freshmen this season? Of course not! The Bulldogs would not have even won their own conference.

It is great to have talent and it is great to have experience but a blend of both makes the best tournament teams.
Once again that ugly beast showed it's head again with a team shooting God like from the 3-point line. Why does that happen against UK? I've seen teams play out of their minds against my Dukies, but teams seriously go crazy from 3 against UK, I just don't get it.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:What a ridiculous statement. Do you think that Butler would be in the Final Four if its best players, Howard, Mack, and Hayward had all been freshmen this season? Of course not! The Bulldogs would not have even won their own conference.

It is great to have talent and it is great to have experience but a blend of both makes the best tournament teams.

Kansas, Syracuse, Kansas, st, Notre Dame, Villanova?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
theVILLE Wrote:Kansas, Syracuse, Kansas, st, Notre Dame, Villanova?
Talented, experienced teams don't always win either but no team as green as Kentucky has ever won the tournament to my knowledge.

There have been some very experienced teams without much NBA talent that have upset much more talented teams to win the title. The 1983 North Carolina State team that upset Houston when the Cougars featured both Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler is probably the best example.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Good to know somebody out there has some sense..

there are alot of UK fans with sense, but sadly, alot on here have very little.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Above all WVU had luck on their side because they normally dont shoot nowhere near that good from outside.

I beg to differ. With the exception of Jones, all that hit treys were Beilein's players. Butler, Mazzula, Flowers, and Smith were all recruits of John Beilein's. Beilein's teams shot treys all the time. Only problem was they could not rebound to save their lives.
superfreak Wrote:Calipari is a great coach. He lost in Memphis because his players couldn't make free throws, watch the tape again. This team may have 4 or 5 NBA players but they are young and had never played anything by High School before this season. They had a great season and achieved about what I thought. Calipari can't go out and shoot for them and make free throws. Could they have won it all? YES, but so could have Kansas and they also have 4 or 5 NBA players and they lost to a mid major. Should they go out and fire Bill Self?? You need to get a grip and realize that KY had a bunch of Freshmen and it showed tonight.

What's Cal done to be considered a great coach? Sure he's had several 30win seasons in CUSA and two final fours but I dont consider a coach with that resume to be great.
And UK's inexperience didn't show tonight, they just couldn't hit wide open shots and free throws. The weakness of all Cal's teams.

TidesHoss32 Wrote:Only in Kentucky, and I mean ONLY in Kentucky does a team win 35 games (after an NIT season and 4 straight 13+ loss seasons) with a first year coach, and a team full of freshmen, and ***** about it. Unbelievable. I hope they all do go pro, and Cal leaves, and then you can have Billy G or Tubby back, and go 21-13, bounced in the second round every year with a bunch of 6'5 swingmen from here on out.

Ok, lmbo. You guys are way to d*** sensitive. Everybody on ESPN and Aslan is after you guys!
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Good to know somebody out there has some sense..

Please.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Above all WVU had luck on their side because they normally dont shoot nowhere near that good from outside.

Don't believe in luck. WVU had open looks and knocked them down.
sstack Wrote:there are alot of UK fans with sense, but sadly, alot on here have very little.

Honestly, I've seen few.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:I beg to differ. With the exception of Jones, all that hit treys were Beilein's players. Butler, Mazzula, Flowers, and Smith were all recruits of John Beilein's. Beilein's teams shot treys all the time. Only problem was they could not rebound to save their lives.
Mazzoula had hit one all year and Flowers had been shooting a low percentage all season. The announcers even said so.
To anyone who says this season was a failure I would have to get you checked out by a psychologist. To have a team in the Elite eight after a season that saw us make the NIT. Great season for the Cats and maybe we will have some surprises about who is back next year and we go all the way. Looking forward to another great season next year. Go Cats
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah, it was a terrible season. Fire Calipari NOW! 35-3 doesnt get it done here, especially coming off of an NIT season, and four straight 13+ loss seasons. This team underachieved, and its all Cal's fault. Pull everyones scholarships and send them walking! Get us some players that can play and a coach that can coach!

:Clap: