Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
President Barack Obama proposes to expand offshore drilling.
WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- President Barack Obama's proposal to expand offshore drilling for oil and natural gas is going to yield savings for U.S. consumers over the long haul, an administration spokesman said Wednesday.

The newly issued White House plan calls for increased drilling in the Atlantic Ocean, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and the northern shore of Alaska. At a routine press briefing Wednesday, deputy press spokesman Bill Burton said the administration has a comprehensive energy plan that includes offshore drilling but doesn't view drilling alone as "a silver bullet to the energy problem."

Obama called for some offshore drilling during his presidential campaign, so Burton said the announcement of the drilling plan shouldn't come as any surprise. He predicted that the U.S. "will have a lot more energy security and a lot less dependence on foreign oil" thanks to offshore drilling, and that the increased supply of domestic oil and gas from offshore sources "is going to save the American people money."

"The president does want to do things that make energy more affordable for the American people," said Burton. He pointed out that gasoline prices typically spike in the summer, and that those price hikes might be especially painful this year for families suffering from unemployment or underemployment.

On the jobs front, Burton suggested that the White House won't make much fuss about this week's much anticipated March employment data.

"The jobs report that comes out on Friday is just going to be one set of data," he said.

Burton noted that results may be boosted by temporary hiring of census workers and a reversal of weather effects seen in February. Unless the latest report shows a reversal in the 8.5 million jobs lost to the recession, Burton said the administration will hew to its usual line on employment, namely that "we've got a lot more work to do."
http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets...ch+Results
TheRealVille Wrote:WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- President Barack Obama's proposal to expand offshore drilling for oil and natural gas is going to yield savings for U.S. consumers over the long haul, an administration spokesman said Wednesday.

The newly issued White House plan calls for increased drilling in the Atlantic Ocean, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and the northern shore of Alaska. At a routine press briefing Wednesday, deputy press spokesman Bill Burton said the administration has a comprehensive energy plan that includes offshore drilling but doesn't view drilling alone as "a silver bullet to the energy problem."

Obama called for some offshore drilling during his presidential campaign, so Burton said the announcement of the drilling plan shouldn't come as any surprise. He predicted that the U.S. "will have a lot more energy security and a lot less dependence on foreign oil" thanks to offshore drilling, and that the increased supply of domestic oil and gas from offshore sources "is going to save the American people money."

"The president does want to do things that make energy more affordable for the American people," said Burton. He pointed out that gasoline prices typically spike in the summer, and that those price hikes might be especially painful this year for families suffering from unemployment or underemployment.

On the jobs front, Burton suggested that the White House won't make much fuss about this week's much anticipated March employment data.

"The jobs report that comes out on Friday is just going to be one set of data," he said.

Burton noted that results may be boosted by temporary hiring of census workers and a reversal of weather effects seen in February. Unless the latest report shows a reversal in the 8.5 million jobs lost to the recession, Burton said the administration will hew to its usual line on employment, namely that "we've got a lot more work to do."
http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets...ch+Results
Here is what he said less than 2 years ago on the campaign trail concerning the exact same oil reserves. Has he lied to us again or did he not have a clue as to what he was talking about then either?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8fkbEuCQss"]YouTube- Barack Obama on Offshore Oil Drilling[/ame]
But, he is opening up offshore drilling now, isn't that what Republicans wanted? You don't want offshore drilling now, or is it that no matter what he does right, you aren't going to give him credit for it?
TheRealVille Wrote:But, he is opening up offshore drilling now, isn't that what Republicans wanted? You don't want offshore drilling now, or is it that no matter what he does right, you aren't going to give him credit for it?
So you have no problem with him contradicting every thing he previously said? There is a reason for this, Ville.

No, dont get me wrong, I'm glad that he is doing this, but I think it is not without an ulterior motive. Personally I think it is a schmoozy up ploy to some republicans in the White House to get their support on ramrodding "Cap and Tax" through. I associate this with another Nebraska, New Orleans, or Union health care tax exemption, dark ally deal. Somebody somewhere is getting their pockets lined. Time will tell, but I'd bet I'm right.

Sorry, I cant lie when I say that I dont trust him and that I dont believe one single word he says. He has demonstrated time and time again that you cannot do either..
Mr.Kimball Wrote:So you have no problem with him contradicting every thing he previously said? There is a reason for this, Ville.

No, dont get me wrong, I'm glad that he is doing this, but I think it is not without an ulterior motive. Personally I think it is a schmoozy up ploy to some republicans in the White House to get their support on ramrodding "Cap and Tax" through. I associate this with another Nebraska, New Orleans, or Union health care tax exemption, dark ally deal. Somebody somewhere is getting their pockets lined. Time will tell, but I'd bet I'm right.

Sorry, I cant lie when I say that I dont trust him and that I dont believe one single word he says. He has demonstrated time and time again that you cannot do either..
So you would rather not have off shore drilling? Maybe he has just decided that off shore drilling is the only way to ween ourselves off of foreign oil. Will you admit he is doing something right, if it doesn't come out that there wasn't anything behind his decision, other than we need the oil?
I'm very skeptical about this proposal, first while campaigning he was against drilling, he then rescinded Bush's bill to allow drilling just day's after he took office.

Make no mistake there will many environmental studies, and you can bet that one side or the other ask for other studies or they will file suit. This will block actual drilling for years if not decades.

IMO this is just a ploy by Barry to gain support for his cap and trade bill.
Old School Wrote:I'm very skeptical about this proposal, first while campaigning he was against drilling, he then rescinded Bush's bill to allow drilling just day's after he took office.

Make no mistake there will many environmental studies, and you can bet that one side or the other ask for other studies or they will file suit. This will block actual drilling for years if not decades.

IMO this is just a ploy by Barry to gain support for his cap and trade bill.

I agree.
TheRealVille Wrote:So you would rather not have off shore drilling? Maybe he has just decided that off shore drilling is the only way to ween ourselves off of foreign oil. Will you admit he is doing something right, if it doesn't come out that there wasn't anything behind his decision, other than we need the oil?

I most certainly will, if that indeed is the case. Let's see what happens with Cap and Tax first.
TheRealVille Wrote:But, he is opening up offshore drilling now, isn't that what Republicans wanted? You don't want offshore drilling now, or is it that no matter what he does right, you aren't going to give him credit for it?

I wanted change. I wanted honesty and openess. LOL. No i think its a good idea. I give him credit. Plus it makes me laugh at my liberal freinds. I said he wouldn't have troops out of Iraq in 90 or 180 days. I said he wouldn't be any better for the economy. And i said he wouldn't be any better for the enviroment. He is business as usual, not change.
Matman Wrote:I wanted change. I wanted honesty and openess. LOL. No i think its a good idea. I give him credit. Plus it makes me laugh at my liberal freinds. I said he wouldn't have troops out of Iraq in 90 or 180 days. I said he wouldn't be any better for the economy. And i said he wouldn't be any better for the enviroment. He is business as usual, not change.

So...... you don't want offshore drilling?
TheRealVille Wrote:So...... you don't want offshore drilling?
There will be very little oil production from these areas even if Obama serves two terms. The oil fields that could be placed into production (and create jobs) most quickly along the Pacific coast will remain off limits. This announcement is nothing but another cynical political ploy meant to peal off a few Republican votes in exchange for "climate change" legislation (i.e., taxes).

This is a small step in the right direction but I expect Obama to take two steps in the wrong direction very soon.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:There will be very little oil production from these areas even if Obama serves two terms. The oil fields that could be placed into production (and create jobs) most quickly along the Pacific coast will remain off limits. This announcement is nothing but another cynical political ploy meant to peal off a few Republican votes in exchange for "climate change" legislation (i.e., taxes).

This is a small step in the right direction but I expect Obama to take two steps in the wrong direction very soon.
He said he would also drill in the gulf coast. It doesn't matter what he does right, the republicans will find fault, like you.
TheRealVille Wrote:He said he would also drill in the gulf coast.
I am not knowledgeable enough about the expense of recovering the areas that are affected but I do know that areas like ANWR and the Pacific Coast remain off limits for new drilling. The change affects areas off of the Atlantic coast, the eastern Gulf, and a couple areas off of Alaska.

Given Obama's anti-drilling, anti-coal, and anti-corporate stances, I will be shocked to see oil companies racing to start drilling. If Obama was serious about increasing domestic oil production, or even stopping the decline, then he would have freed up proven reserves that could be developed quickly.
Just what I suspected!!!

Here is an exerpt of an article from MSNBC.

""The President's speech at Andrew's AFB in Maryland was designed to get republican support for the energy and climate bill languishing in the Senate."

Read the entire article; http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36115922/ns/...?gt1=43001
"Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Emerson

I doubt Obama is crazy about off shore drilling. However, we don't live in a dictatorship. Politicians often have to "evolve" their positions to meet the ever changing give and take of the process. To call this "lying" and the like is political ignorance and/or political hackery, both of which get demonstrated in this forum a fair amount of the time.
thecavemaster Wrote:"Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Emerson

I doubt Obama is crazy about off shore drilling. However, we don't live in a dictatorship. Politicians often have to "evolve" their positions to meet the ever changing give and take of the process. To call this "lying" and the like is political ignorance and/or political hackery, both of which get demonstrated in this forum a fair amount of the time.
Let us begin counting the days before word leaks out that Obama is giving personal assurances to environmentalists that little or no drilling will materialize, shall we? Let us see how long before Obama begins whining that he opened up vast areas to offshore drilling as an effort to reach out to Republicans but they are still opposing his plan to further restrict, regulate, and/or tax carbon emissions.

I am predicting that Obama and the Democrats are just trying to separate Snowe, Collins, or Graham from the Republican herd. This is an election year and very little substantive legislation will be passed. Tis the season for political posturing and nothing more.
thecavemaster Wrote:"Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Emerson

Your really having a hard time accepting that the truth just ain't in your "god", aren't you?

Aint it also been grand so far Mr. Peg, that with anything that Obama has tried to ram through, he has had to either bribe, pay somebody off, or threaten them. Interesting that nothing has been able to stand on it's own merits, even with an overwhelming house and senate majority. He must be slingin around some really good stuff. What say you?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Aint it been grand so far Mr. Peg, that with anything that Obama has tried to ram through, he has had to either bribe, pay somebody off, or threaten them. Interesting that nothing has been able to stand on it's own merits, even with an overwhelming house and senate majority. He must be slingin around some really good stuff. What say you?

Pluralism runs rampant in America. Thank goodness. For better for worse, in sickness and in health, etc. etc... it's the political process, Kimball.
I support more drilling, although it is a curious way to go about it. They are going gung ho in the least productive areas, and stopping all together in the most productive areas, ones that already had approval, in Alsaka. Either way, that has to be curious, to his supporters and detractors alike.

Reminds me of the Vietnam war, where our gov't made a list of the top 50 objectives to win the war, and ranked them in importance from 1-50. Yet they started at 50, and worked their way backwards through the list.

I'm leaning toward political motives more than actually wanting to solve energy problems. Someone told me, the night the HC bill was sign, that he will go to the middle now, to offset the damage he has done to his reputation and popularity. That person said he will have a photo-op with the military, and try to appease the republicans. I need to go back and ask that person for tomorrows lottery numbers, because he nailed it on both accounts.

Also, I've heard it is not a done deal yet on drilling. There will be challenges from environmentalist side of things, and some may be legit. This could never happen, and he could still get credit for trying, which may have been the goal all along. Sorry to be so doubtful of him, but face it, he's been as slick as they get in getting his wishes. I voted for the guy, with much regret now, and even I now get an ill feeling, every time I hear him speak. I just think, no matter how good he sounds, "How is this guy trying to screw me now". Trepidation is a healthy thing, I wish there were more like me, who were not locked into their ideology, whether left or right.
thecavemaster Wrote:Pluralism runs rampant in America. Thank goodness. For better for worse, in sickness and in health, etc. etc... it's the political process, Kimball.
Oh, you mean the old "makin sausage" process ?
miragesmack Wrote:I support more drilling, although it is a curious way to go about it. They are going gung ho in the least productive areas, and stopping all together in the most productive areas, ones that already had approval, in Alsaka. Either way, that has to be curious, to his supporters and detractors alike.

Reminds me of the Vietnam war, where our gov't made a list of the top 50 objectives to win the war, and ranked them in importance from 1-50. Yet they started at 50, and worked their way backwards through the list.

I'm leaning toward political motives more than actually wanting to solve energy problems. Someone told me, the night the HC bill was sign, that he will go to the middle now, to offset the damage he has done to his reputation and popularity. That person said he will have a photo-op with the military, and try to appease the republicans. I need to go back and ask that person for tomorrows lottery numbers, because he nailed it on both accounts.

Also, I've heard it is not a done deal yet on drilling. There will be challenges from environmentalist side of things, and some may be legit. This could never happen, and he could still get credit for trying, which may have been the goal all along. Sorry to be so doubtful of him, but face it, he's been as slick as they get in getting his wishes. I voted for the guy, with much regret now, and even I now get an ill feeling, every time I hear him speak. I just think, no matter how good he sounds, "How is this guy trying to screw me now". Trepidation is a healthy thing, I wish there were more like me, who were not locked into their ideology, whether left or right.
Whatever happened to huge oil reserves find that was announced about a year ago, that was discovered in the Dakotas and I believe Montana. It was supposed to be the largest reserves ever discovered in the continental US.
miragesmack Wrote:I support more drilling, although it is a curious way to go about it. They are going gung ho in the least productive areas, and stopping all together in the most productive areas, ones that already had approval, in Alsaka. Either way, that has to be curious, to his supporters and detractors alike.

Here is a possible way that Obama is trying to screw all of us again. He announces that he is opening up drilling on vast acreages of sub-prime reserves. When oil companies do not line up to lease and drill in those areas, he demonizes greedy oil companies for not wanting to drill in the US to secure our energy future while we develop alternative energy technologies.

Obama then claims that the only reason that oil companies are not drilling is to create shortages to keep prices up and gouge consumers. He will probably claim that he has opened more acres of petroleum and gas reserves to drilling than any other president in history.

(In the background, Obama sycophants cheer and register Disney characters to vote in the 2012 election against evil Big Oil.)

Obama's game plan is pretty simple and predictable but so are his core supporters.
TheRealVille Wrote:So...... you don't want offshore drilling?

Did you not even read my post? I hate when people do that. I said in my post i think its a good idea and that i will give him credit for it. No i'm not crazy about off shore drilling. However i see why theres a need for it. I seen the need for it during the election as well. However liberals bashed Palin for supporting it. They bashed Bush for it. Now they are going to bash Obama for it. Some will anyways. Some are blind sheep and support anything coming from their party. Which is one of many things wrong with our political system. Then you have CM saying its just politics. I agree. Its business as usual. Nothing new. Nothing has changed. That is why I did not vote for Obama. If he was truly something different I would have probally voted for him. However i realized he was saying whatever he needed to in order to get elected. The first sign for me was when he was talking about troop withdraws. It was obvious to most military personal that he was full of BS. Thats why he did not gain their support.
I think that this is a good thing and that he shouldn’t have waited two years to do this.
I know these articles mention drilling, but I was under the impression that it was just "exploration" most of the known reserves in those areas are not feasible to even drill for. Its not like they just float out there, pop up a drill and find tons of oil and natural gas. It takes billions of dollars to find and drill for these reserves, and as of now there isnt enough there to justify a company spending billions to drill for. One day when our drilling technology, and our ways of obtaining these fuels is more efficient and cheaper, Im sure they will drill those spots.