Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should The "ALL A" Classic Be Discontinued?
I am real interested to see what everyone's opinion is in regard to the All A Classic.

Is it "the right thing to do" to have a tournament for the smallest schools (only) when there are numerous numerous other schools that don't have a chance to win a state championship?

Also, the current 1 class system in basketball is significantly different than almost all of the other sports. Is it time that Kentucky Goes to a class system (which makes the All A classis more of a trend setter?)
I would like to see one move made to the All A.
Take it back to its roots have it be the true A schools rather than the format that is used today.
When the all a first started it was the class A schools now you have schools that have double and triple A enrollment. but the people in charge wanted to see this happen.
I for one think that this is the only problem with it.

In the 15th region alone we have betsy layne, shelby valley and sheldon clark which are AA schools in football. but the All A is not a KHSAA tourney its a invitational and they make the rules.
yeah I think Ky should goto a class system....it would give put alot of the bigger teams or all of the private schools who actually get a chance to recruit out of the state.....so yeah I think they should goto a class system....it would give the smaller schools a whole better chance at winning
Leave it alone......
I think a class system may be good thing for HS Basketball.
The chances of KY going to a class system are slim, until that happens the all a should continue.
"-STAT-" Wrote:yeah I think Ky should goto a class system....it would give put alot of the bigger teams or all of the private schools who actually get a chance to recruit out of the state.....so yeah I think they should goto a class system....it would give the smaller schools a whole better chance at winning
Private schools usually are smaller than any definition of a class A school anyways. Why exclude them if they fit the enrolement of a class A? For recruitment reasons? Most people in a private school live very close to it anyways.
The All A is ok but needs to include only class A schools...by football class.
I love the All-A! Or at least when I was in school. Gave you a mid year tourney that actually had something behind it.

'Should they go to a class system in basketball. IMO, No. I like the Sweet 16 and it wouldn't be the same if it was changed. :thumb:
I love the All A so i think they should just leave it alone
I agree formerraider leave it alone.
Why should it be left alone? What is the purpose of this tournament?

At one time--there used to be a little more value in it. Also, if there is true "need" to have the all A--then a case could definitely be made for championships by class (which would stink because the Sweet 16 is one of the better things in life).

I don't think that "recognizing the smaller schools" becomes a valid argument if you are in favor of the Sweet 16. If you are not--then maybe you can make a case.
"-STAT-" Wrote:yeah I think Ky should goto a class system....it would give put alot of the bigger teams or all of the private schools who actually get a chance to recruit out of the state.....so yeah I think they should goto a class system....it would give the smaller schools a whole better chance at winning

While this may be true, if this came into effect, I think it would definitely take a lot of the value out of the state tournament....
The only problem I have with the All A is that it allows schools that are AA in football to play in the All A in basketball. The All A should be for the Class A schools. The tourney gives kids a chance to play in a state tourament atmosphere that they most likely wouldn't be able to do otherwise. I have been on EKU's campus the past couple of years when the All A state tourney was going on. Even though it creates a parking nightmare for EKU students it does draw large crowds and gives the small schools a chance to play for a state title.
"PHSFAN" Wrote:The only problem I have with the All A is that it allows schools that are AA in football to play in the All A in basketball. The All A should be for the Class A schools. The tourney gives kids a chance to play in a state tourament atmosphere that they most likely wouldn't be able to do otherwise. I have been on EKU's campus the past couple of years when the All A state tourney was going on. Even though it creates a parking nightmare for EKU students it does draw large crowds and gives the small schools a chance to play for a state title.

I see where you are coming from....but on the otherhand, those 2A football schools met the criteria for enrollment to become a class A basketball school. Therefore, they're fair game. I think as long as they meet the enrollment requirements, they're just as entitled to participate in the tournament as a school with 100 students....
"bevinsville_bomber" Wrote:I see where you are coming from....but on the otherhand, those 2A football schools met the criteria for enrollment to become a class A basketball school. Therefore, they're fair game. I think as long as they meet the enrollment requirements, they're just as entitled to participate in the tournament as a school with 100 students....

I see where you are coming from also. My alma mater has no chance to win it anyways so I like to see other Pikeville area schools make a run at it...SV. I guess what I don't understand is why there are different requirements for football and basketball when it comes to enrollment.
The way it was explained to me once, is the KHSAA has the class A for total students in grades 9-12. Where Jefferson Pilot does the all A classic, they set the rules for it, not the KHSAA. Theres is only counting grades 10, 11, and 12 and the freshman class dont count in the total number of students. That is how the class 2a football schools can be in the all a basketball tourney. Does anyone know if that is right?
"Doc Holliday" Wrote:I would like to see one move made to the All A.
Take it back to its roots have it be the true A schools rather than the format that is used today.
When the all a first started it was the class A schools now you have schools that have double and triple A enrollment. but the people in charge wanted to see this happen.
I for one think that this is the only problem with it.

In the 15th region alone we have betsy layne, shelby valley and sheldon clark which are AA schools in football. but the All A is not a KHSAA tourney its a invitational and they make the rules.
i agree 100%
leave it alone....its fun to watch small schools duke it out
I think they SHOULD make a class-system like football...then take those 4 teams and play a playoff type deal to settle the state champion....

4A Champs vs 2A Champs
.......................................Winner of 2 and 4
.................................................................State Champions
.......................................Winner of 1 and 3
3A Champs vs 1A Champs

Something like that...
It seems like a good idea to me. It might help keep some of the blow outs from happening in the sweet 16......
Leave It Alone
"LC99" Wrote:The chances of KY going to a class system are slim, until that happens the all a should continue.
:thumb:
There is no way that Kentucky should go to a class system for high school basketball. For the All A Classic I think it should be Class A schools only but it isn't. As far as the Sweet 16...LEAVE IT ALONE and they no doubt will. The KHSAA makes a lot of $$ off of the current format and has no reason to change it. The current format that Kentucky has is very unique in todays high school basketball and the KY Sweet 16 is known nationwide. Indiana used to have it set up like Kentuckybut they changed it several years ago to a class system and from what I hear their current format is not near as good.
I see where everyone is coming from. I still can't get past the point where there is the Sweet 16 for a reason--to crown one champion. When you throw things in like the All A--then you get away from that.

When you compare football to basketball, the talent curve is still there (from small schools to big schools) but it isn't anywhere near as drastic. That speaks to the fact that the Sweet 16 should stay--and all other should go. I can also see the argument for the small schools. It would also be easier to have a "grand champion" in basketball (1A vs 3A, 2A vs 4A = winners to play in championship). This would never work in football because AAAA would most likely win every year. Again--the talent curve isn't as big with basketball (5 players vs 11 players). It would still be hard--but a small school could win.

To sum it up--I am all or nothing. If we are going to keep the Sweet 16--then get rid of the All A. If we are going to keep the All A, then add a class tournament.
In my own personal opinion I think the All A Classic should be discontinued. While it may be one of the better in season tournaments and gets alot of teams some well deserved publicity, I don't think it is fair excluding larger schools based on their size. The KHSAA is a total stickler over title IX and making sure everything is fair between males and females when it comes to athletics, and I think this can be viewed in the same way. Why discreminate between schools based on their enrolment when we do not discrimanate against gender? In my eyes dicrimanation is discrimanation regardless of the victim. I think all schools should be allowed to participate in any KHSAA functioned event. To my understanding the All A is run by the KHSAA and there for I fell it should be discontinued. I also disapprove of it because it almost splits up the state championship, and I feel the only team that has the right to be called the state champion is the team that cuts down the nets in Rupp (or Freedom Hall if it ever goes back to Louisville)
"Matney's Prodigey" Wrote:In my own personal opinion I think the All A Classic should be discontinued. While it may be one of the better in season tournaments and gets alot of teams some well deserved publicity, I don't think it is fair excluding larger schools based on their size. The KHSAA is a total stickler over title IX and making sure everything is fair between males and females when it comes to athletics, and I think this can be viewed in the same way. Why discreminate between schools based on their enrolment when we do not discrimanate against gender? In my eyes dicrimanation is discrimanation regardless of the victim. I think all schools should be allowed to participate in any KHSAA functioned event. To my understanding the All A is run by the KHSAA and there for I fell it should be discontinued. I also disapprove of it because it almost splits up the state championship, and I feel the only team that has the right to be called the state champion is the team that cuts down the nets in Rupp (or Freedom Hall if it ever goes back to Louisville)
The All A is not a KHSAA funded event. It is funded by Jefferson Pilot and they set the rules for the All A event, not the KHSAA. If the other classes want there own tourney, tell them to get a multi million dollar company to sponser there class of school.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:The All A is not a KHSAA funded event. It is funded by Jefferson Pilot and they set the rules for the All A event, not the KHSAA. If the other classes want there own tourney, tell them to get a multi million dollar company to sponser there class of school.

In regard to your statements--if it isn't a KHSAA "sponsored" championship--it is just a tournament. A tournament that means very little.

If the KHSAA does not set the rules for the event--it carries very little weight.

Therefore, I have to ask--what, again, is the point of having it in the first place?

It is starting to sound more and more like this is something to appease schools that don't think that they can compete for the Sweet 16 to begin with.

Also--I seriously doubt if the KHSAA would permit an "All AAA" Classic. Plus, the smaller schools would balk because it would take away from their thunder (not to mention the fact that it would take away a lot of money).
"bevinsville_bomber" Wrote:I see where you are coming from....but on the otherhand, those 2A football schools met the criteria for enrollment to become a class A basketball school. Therefore, they're fair game. I think as long as they meet the enrollment requirements, they're just as entitled to participate in the tournament as a school with 100 students....
Kind of defeats the purpose of the "All A" doesn't it?
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:In regard to your statements--if it isn't a KHSAA "sponsored" championship--it is just a tournament. A tournament that means very little.

If the KHSAA does not set the rules for the event--it carries very little weight.

Therefore, I have to ask--what, again, is the point of having it in the first place?

It is starting to sound more and more like this is something to appease schools that don't think that they can compete for the Sweet 16 to begin with.

Also--I seriously doubt if the KHSAA would permit an "All AAA" Classic. Plus, the smaller schools would balk because it would take away from their thunder (not to mention the fact that it would take away a lot of money).
You are right about that. it doesnt carry as much weight as the winner of the Sweet 16. But on the other hand, it carries more weight than alot of tourneys such as the Ashland Invitational or the PIT or any other small tourneys.

The purpose of the All A is to give talented players from smaller schools a chance for there teams to compete for a state wide title, even if it isnt as good as winning the state basketball tourney. If you are from a larger school, what difference does it make for a small school statewide tourney, you still have the sweet 16 to play in which means more anyways.

If the KHSAA decides not to allow it, then on the other hand, they should stop all small schools as well as large ones from having tourneys at there home schools also.