Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If the SEC expanded to 16 teams....
Georgia Tech can't fill their stadium for football....Let's face the SEC IS A FOOTBALL First League. Can't see them coming back to the SEC with football as poor as it is now.

Texas is repeatedly mentioned as a possible addition to the Big 10/11. If they are listening to the Big 10/11, they surely WOULD consider the SEC first, if offered.

Cincy not sure if rest of athletics are up to SEC standards after football and mens basketball. Would make a great natural rival with UK if they came over.

Louisville would be a perfect match but I would assume they would have to kill Pitino before they could go to SEC.

Clemson, Florida St., Miami and South Florida would all seem to be good fits. Strength of each is of course Football but each are better than average in their respective athletics departments.

Memphis maybe????

WVU most natural fit of the group, would love to play Huggybear yearly.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:The SEC, if it expanded to 16 teams would probably go after Georgia Tech (one of its former founding members), Clemson (already a secure bitter rivalry with South Carolina), possibly Florida State (??) and maybe a wildcard, like say a USF?? Like someone above said, I dont think theyll go more north than Lexington, so these are the teams I would try..
East
Kentucky
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Florida
Florida State
South Carolina
Vanderbilt
tennessee

West
YOUR 2009 NATIONAL CHAMPION ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE!
Arkansas
South Florida
Clemson
Mississippi
Miss State
LSU
auburn

I dont know about you, but that looks like one AWESOME football conference right there.

Tidehoss, love the Tek avatar.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Tidehoss, love the Tek avatar.
Thank you, sir. One of my alltime favorite Pirates (behind Van Slyke and Clemente) :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Westside Wrote:Vandy would love for WVU to come to the SEC. Then they would have someone they could pound on every year in football and not finish in last place. WVU would be the new doormat.

you got to be kidding right?WVU could handle there own in the SEC, they would not be a door mat for sure...
I dont ever expect to see WVU in the SEC, but I believe they would be a top notch program in basketball, and a solid program in football...UK fans had better be careful what they ask for. I dont think that WVU would have as much success in the SEC as they have the Big East, but I think theyd do alright. I dont see them challenging the big boys, but I see them possibly as a solid second tier program with Arkansas, South Carolina, Ole Miss, etc..as far as basketball goes, put them in the West and theyll win it as long as Huggy Bear is there..but one cool thing to think about is that UK and West Virginia would have a very good rivalry in football and basketball. It would be cool for them to be playing for the Coalminers hardhat. A black hardhat with a blue K on one side, and a yellow WVU on the other..its neat to think about anyways!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cuppett777 Wrote:you got to be kidding right?WVU could handle there own in the SEC, they would not be a door mat for sure...

Yes, I actually am kidding. I just like joking around with dangerousdaneerfan because he like WVU so much, and I like Marshall. I really do like WVU football unless they were to play EKU, Marshall, or UK. I've been a WVU fan for years. I get on here to have fun. I'm don't take this stuff overly serious. Sports are supposed to be fun for the fans. I hope dangerousdaneerfan realizes I just rib him. I have nothing against him. I take everything he says to me as a joke as well.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't think any teams north of Lexington would be added to the SEC.
Miami-FL
Florida State
Texas
Clemson
Georgia Tech

Those teams would probably be the only teams that the SEC would add, because they're big schools with excellent athletic programs and they're also located in the south.

I dont think any teams West of Arkansas will be added.
The expansion is needed in order for the SEC to compete for some national titles.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't think any teams north of Lexington would be added to the SEC.

Miami-FL
Florida State
Texas
Clemson
Georgia Tech

Those teams would probably be the only teams that the SEC would add, because they're big schools with excellent athletic programs and they're also located in the south.

I've heard that if they do expand that these teams along with A&M would be focuses of the SEC. Georgia Tech's admission may be hampered by Georgia because it doesn't really bring in a new market for the conference. I'd look for them to strike quick and first if the talks with the Big Ten heat up in the next few weeks. I believe they'll go hard after Texas, Miami, one of the North Carolina schools probably between NC State and Wake Forest and Texas A & M. This could be a very interesting summer for college sports and we may see the end of the Big 12 because of this. Remember all the other conferences will try and expand if the Big 10 sets the bar higher than 12.
Does anyone think 16 team conferences will be really good for college football?
Jarons Wrote:Does anyone think 16 team conferences will be really good for college football?
I dont. I think 12 is maximum for optimum competition. Instead of making these super conferences, I wish they would just make new conferences. I would much rather see two 8 team conferences than one 16 team conference.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If the SEC expanded, I don't see them initially going after any of the Big East leftovers, i.e. WVU, Louisville, Cincy, South Florida. And as for Memphis? No frickin' way.

If the SEC expands, I believe the first call would go to Austin to invite Texas into the fold. And if you believe what has been written elsewhere, the state legislature won't let the Longhorns bolt without taking Texas A&M with them. So if Texas accepted a bid, then the SEC would have to take A&M as well.

If Texas turns them down, then I believe they next look to the ACC, likely such schools as Ga Tech, Clemson, Florida St, and possibly Miami. If they want 16 teams, and already took the Texas schools, then they only need two from this group. If Texas declines, then in order to get to 16 they will probably take the first three from the ACC group, then consider Miami along with maybe WVU and South Fla as the fourth team.

Here's how I see the SEC candidates, in terms of desirability:

First Tier: Texas (and Texas A&M by association)
Second Tier: Ga Tech, Clemson, Florida St
Third Tier: WVU, Miami, South Fla
Bottom Tier: Louisville, Cincinnati
Last Resort: Memphis
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I dont. I think 12 is maximum for optimum competition. Instead of making these super conferences, I wish they would just make new conferences. I would much rather see two 8 team conferences than one 16 team conference.

I think you are right. If the coferences move to 16 teams, then the Boise St.'s and TCU's etc. would be squeezed out of the BCS even more. I really don't think any of the major conferences would ask these school to join.
Jarons Wrote:I think you are right. If the coferences move to 16 teams, then the Boise St.'s and TCU's etc. would be squeezed out of the BCS even more. I really don't think any of the major conferences would ask these school to join.
If, and this is a big IF, but if the Big 10 expands to 16 teams (which I oppose), I think youll see Boise State and Fresno State in the Pac-10 within 2 to 3 years. I, personally would love for that to happen, so we can quit hearing Boise State whine every single year about why they deserve to play in the title game. One day Im gonna come up with how I think the conferences should look, and see what everybody on BGR thinks about it..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Yea, another bunch of "one and doner's" for Cal. :flame:

lol
Westside Wrote:Yes, I actually am kidding. I just like joking around with dangerousdaneerfan because he like WVU so much, and I like Marshall. I really do like WVU football unless they were to play EKU, Marshall, or UK. I've been a WVU fan for years. I get on here to have fun. I'm don't take this stuff overly serious. Sports are supposed to be fun for the fans. I hope dangerousdaneerfan realizes I just rib him. I have nothing against him. I take everything he says to me as a joke as well.

And I like to yank your chain over Marshall.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:And I like to yank your chain over Marshall.

That's cool. I'm glad you know I'm only joking around. That's what makes this website fun. Besides, someday you may see the light and become a Marshall fan.
Westside Wrote:That's cool. I'm glad you know I'm only joking around. That's what makes this website fun. Besides, someday you may see the light and become a Marshall fan.

Only if Pruett ever apologizes for calling out WVU. Poor Mark Snider paid dearly for Pruett's obsession. Now we will see if Doc Holliday can fair any better. Something inside me says he just might this fall.