Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP Blocks Oil Spill Liability Bill
Republicans for the second time blocked legislation that would increase oil companies' liability for oil spill damages, setting off criticism from Democrats seeking to make BP pay for the disastrous oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) on Tuesday blocked a bill Democrats have put forward to raise the liability cap from $75 million to $10 billion. He said on the Senate floor he agrees the cap should be raised, but the Senate should "wait and see where the cap should be."

"If you have it too high you are going to be singling out BP and the other four largest majors and the nationalized companies, such as China and Venezuela, and shutting out the independent producers," he said.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) blocked the legislation last week.

President Obama released a statement saying he is disappointed by the Republicans' objections.

"This maneuver threatens to leave taxpayers, rather than the oil companies, on the hook for future disasters like the BP oil spill," he said. "I urge the Senate Republicans to stop playing special interest politics and join in a bipartisan effort to protect taxpayers and demand accountability from the oil companies."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-2...03544.html
So, let's change the rules to meet our own agenda's? If I say I am entering a business agreement with you to pay for up to a certain value for any issues that may arise in our transaction, and we agree to do business under that rule, then why sould you be given the right to force me into an agreement that I did not enter agreement upon? You can't do that? I don't like it as a taxpayer to have to pay for this, but I'm astute enough to know that everyone entered into this business relationship in agreement to the terms. You can't change the terms unless there was a threat that the party in question knew that there was going to be an issue. This has no legs, nor should it.
So, you are ready to pay your share if the cost goes to 10B?
TheRealVille Wrote:So, you are ready to pay your share if the cost goes to 10B?

Lol, just like you, and we will both not like it one bit. But I certainly don't agree that you dictate a change in the rules when the guilty party did not do the act maliciously.
Stardust Wrote:Lol, just like you, and we will both not like it one bit. But I certainly don't agree that you dictate a change in the rules when the guilty party did not do the act maliciously.

Uh, if I see that a kid's training wheels are too loose, but reason the time required to tighten them could be better spent on the phone making business deals, plus the wheels will probably hold, I would suggest that to be negligence when the wheels fall off and the kid wrecks into a giant pond of oil. Are you following what the survivors are saying?