Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iowa Straw poll results
I know it's an odd way of doing things- only people who paid $30 to attend could vote.

Bachmann - 4,823
Paul - 4,671.
Pawlenty -2,293,
Santorum - 1,657 votes.
Cain -1,456 votes
Romney -567 vote
Gingrich -385, votes
Huntsman - 69 votes
McCotter - 35 votes

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who announced his campaign on Saturday but did not compete in the straw poll, collected 718 write-in votes.
^ Thank god it was only straw!
Im sorry, but I seriously hope this Michelle Bachmann thing dies down SOON. Everytime I hear her speak, I feel like I get dumber. I know she's making a lot of noise, but I would REALLY hate to cast my vote for her in '12 if she's running against Obama. I have no doubt in my mind that it would be a wasted vote ''just to keep Obama out of the White House", because thats exactly what it would be. I have zero faith and confidence in her, and I feel there are several candidates that would be better for our country. But hey, maybe I'm being too hard on her. I mean after all, she boasted about being from the same hometown as John Wayne.....................(Gacy). And boasting that John QUINCY Adams being a Founding Father to the United States (at age 8), who worked "tirelessly to end slavery". Then, when someone obviously and thankfully pointed these "facts" out to her, instead of apologizing for her ignorance, she says John QUINCY Adams was "a part of the Revolutionary War era. He was a young boy but he was actively involved"......WHAT? Oh, and did you all know that the first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired in New Hampshire? Did you? Well, neither did the crowd in New Hampshire when she informed them of that. Well, unfortunately for Ms Bachmann, the first shots were fired in Massachusetts. And, John Quincy Adams, like all lawyers from his era, supported slavery when the politics required so. And, she says Obama fears her. This may be the very candidate that Obama HOPES is running against her. I seriously hope that this isnt our "hope" to end the candidacy of Barack Obama. Exit one brainless whack. Enter another one. Please send this woman out to pasture, never to be heard from again. And give her a friggin history book to read.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Im sorry, but I seriously hope this Michelle Bachmann thing dies down SOON. Everytime I hear her speak, I feel like I get dumber. I know she's making a lot of noise, but I would REALLY hate to cast my vote for her in '12 if she's running against Obama. I have no doubt in my mind that it would be a wasted vote ''just to keep Obama out of the White House", because thats exactly what it would be. I have zero faith and confidence in her, and I feel there are several candidates that would be better for our country. But hey, maybe I'm being too hard on her. I mean after all, she boasted about being from the same hometown as John Wayne.....................(Gacy). And boasting that John QUINCY Adams being a Founding Father to the United States (at age 8), who worked "tirelessly to end slavery". Then, when someone obviously and thankfully pointed these "facts" out to her, instead of apologizing for her ignorance, she says John QUINCY Adams was "a part of the Revolutionary War era. He was a young boy but he was actively involved"......WHAT? Oh, and did you all know that the first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired in New Hampshire? Did you? Well, neither did the crowd in New Hampshire when she informed them of that. Well, unfortunately for Ms Bachmann, the first shots were fired in Massachusetts. And, John Quincy Adams, like all lawyers from his era, supported slavery when the politics required so. And, she says Obama fears her. This may be the very candidate that Obama HOPES is running against her. I seriously hope that this isnt our "hope" to end the candidacy of Barack Obama. Exit one brainless whack. Enter another one. Please send this woman out to pasture, never to be heard from again. And give her a friggin history book to read.
John Quincy Adams was president in the early years of this nation. I don't see describing him as a "founding father" a huge gaffe, certainly not when you compare the statement to the many gaffes Obama made on the campaign trail and in the past 2-1/2 years. (For example our Commander-in-Chief pronounced Corps as "corpse" twice in one speech. TWICE - and this guy is the top commander of the Marine Corps??? And none of Bachman's gaffes on the campaign trail compares to Obama bowing to foreign heads of government and members of royal families. Nor do they rise to the level of Obama returning a bust of Winston Churchill to the UK or giving the Queen of England an iPod filled with recordings of his own speeches.)

THE John Wayne's parents lived in Michelle Bachman's home town before his mother gave birth to him. Bachman did not confuse John Wayne with John Wayne Gacy. The liberal media or one of the liberal Democratic puppet masters supplied that spin on the story.

Confusing Concord, Massachusetts with Concord, New Hampshire was a real gaffe, but every candidate makes these kind of mistakes during campaigns. Many have even forgotten which state and city they are speaking in.

Bachman would not be my first choice among the GOP candidates but she would not be my last choice either. She has consistently opposed Obamacare and all attempts to raise taxes. Had she been president the past 2-1/2 years, this nation would be far better off than it is now.

Polls indicate that as soon (and if) Palin declares herself a candidate, Bachman's support will take a big hit. But Bachman has already sunk Pawlenty's campaign hopes, so I would not underestimate either he intelligence or her mental toughness.
Is Mitt Romney still the front-runner for the Republican nomination? I hope not.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:John Quincy Adams was president in the early years of this nation. I don't see describing him as a "founding father" a huge gaffe, certainly not when you compare the statement to the many gaffes Obama made on the campaign trail and in the past 2-1/2 years. (For example our Commander-in-Chief pronounced Corps as "corpse" twice in one speech. TWICE - and this guy is the top commander of the Marine Corps??? And none of Bachman's gaffes on the campaign trail compares to Obama bowing to foreign heads of government and members of royal families. Nor do they rise to the level of Obama returning a bust of Winston Churchill to the UK or giving the Queen of England an iPod filled with recordings of his own speeches.)

THE John Wayne's parents lived in Michelle Bachman's home town before his mother gave birth to him. Bachman did not confuse John Wayne with John Wayne Gacy. The liberal media or one of the liberal Democratic puppet masters supplied that spin on the story.

Confusing Concord, Massachusetts with Concord, New Hampshire was a real gaffe, but every candidate makes these kind of mistakes during campaigns. Many have even forgotten which state and city they are speaking in.

Bachman would not be my first choice among the GOP candidates but she would not be my last choice either. She has consistently opposed Obamacare and all attempts to raise taxes. Had she been president the past 2-1/2 years, this nation would be far better off than it is now.

Polls indicate that as soon (and if) Palin declares herself a candidate, Bachman's support will take a big hit. But Bachman has already sunk Pawlenty's campaign hopes, so I would not underestimate either he intelligence or her mental toughness.
I would never compare her gaffes with any of Obamas. Obama is a complete moron. But I hold Republicans to a higher standard than I do Democrats. I expect mistakes like that from Dems, because they could care less about the nation's history (and their blatant disrespect of our constitution and the men and women who have died trying to protect it), but I expect Republicans to be better than this. Its like this, if Bachmann is running against Obama in 2012, then Ill vote Bachmann simply to keep Obama out of the White House, but I am hoping for a miracle. Cain? Gingrich? It doesnt matter, but I like Bachmann the least of anybody making a serious run to Washington.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I would never compare her gaffes with any of Obamas. Obama is a complete moron. But I hold Republicans to a higher standard than I do Democrats. I expect mistakes like that from Dems, because they could care less about the nation's history (and their blatant disrespect of our constitution and the men and women who have died trying to protect it), but I expect Republicans to be better than this. Its like this, if Bachmann is running against Obama in 2012, then Ill vote Bachmann simply to keep Obama out of the White House, but I am hoping for a miracle. Cain? Gingrich? It doesnt matter, but I like Bachmann the least of anybody making a serious run to Washington.
I also try to hold Republicans to a higher standard. We didn't do that in 2008 and we ended up having to vote for the rather dim-witted and untrustworthy camera-chasing John McCain.

There are no perfect Republican candidates but IMO, Bachman is among the better ones who are actually running. I would prefer Haley Barbour, Bobby Jindal, or Mitch Daniels, but those guys have declined to toss their hats into the ring.

I also like Herman Cain. He is a very good communicator who has been very successful in the private sector and has also served Chairman of the Denver Federal Reserve. But I do not think that Cain can beat Obama in a head to head race. I think Cain understands that this is not his year to win but he is earning a high position in a new GOP administration.

I used to be a Gingrich supporter but the last straw for me was the public service TV commercial where he sat on a couch beside Nancy Pelosi to urge serious action to reverse the impact of man made global warming. Gingrich has almost no support among conservatives because of stunts such as this, and without any conservative support, it is hard to see how he has any chance of winning the nomination. I think that he is running to promote his books and paid public speaking business.

Rick Perry has a strong economic record to run upon but the fact that his college transcript is full of Cs and Ds means that he will be castigated as a moron by the media throughout the campaign. Every gaffe that he makes will be reported with 10 times the frequency and enthusiasm that accompanies similar gaffes by Obama and Biden.

Unless somebody else enters the race, I will probably reluctantly support Romney because his intellect and ethical record towers above Obama's. Except for Romneycare, I can forgive him for his less-than-conservative record as governor of Massachusetts. Republicans who want to be governor in that state cannot govern as conservatives. Romney is smart and electable.

My mind is still open but right now, I see the race ultimately coming down to a battle between Perry and Romney.
i hope Michelle Bachmann gets the nomation
vector Wrote:i hope Michelle Bachmann gets the nomation
Because you support her or because you support Obama and think he can only win against a weak opponent?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I also try to hold Republicans to a higher standard. We didn't do that in 2008 and we ended up having to vote for the rather dim-witted and untrustworthy camera-chasing John McCain.

There are no perfect Republican candidates but IMO, Bachman is among the better ones who are actually running. I would prefer Haley Barbour, Bobby Jindal, or Mitch Daniels, but those guys have declined to toss their hats into the ring.

I also like Herman Cain. He is a very good communicator who has been very successful in the private sector and has also served Chairman of the Denver Federal Reserve. But I do not think that Cain can beat Obama in a head to head race. I think Cain understands that this is not his year to win but he is earning a high position in a new GOP administration.

I used to be a Gingrich supporter but the last straw for me was the public service TV commercial where he sat on a couch beside Nancy Pelosi to urge serious action to reverse the impact of man made global warming. Gingrich has almost no support among conservatives because of stunts such as this, and without any conservative support, it is hard to see how he has any chance of winning the nomination. I think that he is running to promote his books and paid public speaking business.

Rick Perry has a strong economic record to run upon but the fact that his college transcript is full of Cs and Ds means that he will be castigated as a moron by the media throughout the campaign. Every gaffe that he makes will be reported with 10 times the frequency and enthusiasm that accompanies similar gaffes by Obama and Biden.

Unless somebody else enters the race, I will probably reluctantly support Romney because his intellect and ethical record towers above Obama's. Except for Romneycare, I can forgive him for his less-than-conservative record as governor of Massachusetts. Republicans who want to be governor in that state cannot govern as conservatives. Romney is smart and electable.

My mind is still open but right now, I see the race ultimately coming down to a battle between Perry and Romney.
I definitely wouldnt mind seeing Perry or Romney either. Dont get me wrong, Hoot, if it came down to it, I wont hesitate to vote for Bachmann if she gets the nod, but personally, I would rather see someone else..Ah well, maybe in a perfect world, lol....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I definitely wouldnt mind seeing Perry or Romney either. Dont get me wrong, Hoot, if it came down to it, I wont hesitate to vote for Bachmann if she gets the nod, but personally, I would rather see someone else..Ah well, maybe in a perfect world, lol....
:Thumbs: I agree but with the exception of Ron Paul (whose economic policies I fully support), Newt Gingrich, and possibly Rick Santorum, I think every GOP candidate running would make a better candidate than John McCain or Bob Dole. Every GOP candidate would make a better president than the Sad Sack who currently resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
hoot are you that stupid to even ask that ?
vector Wrote:hoot are you that stupid to even ask that ?
Some of your past posts have been all over the political spectrum. I really have no idea how you might vote in 2012. I think that all of us should hope that each party nominates the candidate who would make the best president.

For example, I was hoping that Clinton would be the Democratic nominee in 2008 because as much as I dislike her politics, I knew that Obama would be a disaster for this country. Hillary would not have bowed to our enemies and she would not have appeased the Iranians, the Muslim Brotherhood, the Taliban, and the Chinese to the same extent as Obama has done.

If you truly hope that Bachman will become president, then I will try to remember that you are a fiscal conservative in the future. I meant no disrespect but you have not posted very often and my memory is not as near perfect as it used to be. :biggrin:
LWC Wrote:Is Mitt Romney still the front-runner for the Republican nomination? I hope not.

You and me both! He is obviously the front runner among the media of Fox and other networks which, by itself would make me bail.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think im honestly to the point where i would vote for whoever has the best chance of beating Obama.
I really dont think Bachman has that...yet.
Ive never been a Romney fan but i dont believe he would take Obama down either.
Im beggining to really like Perry. While i know the U.S. as a whole is a lot tougher job than Texas alone....his strides in economic development in Texas has been superb.
I seen on CNN where Texas has created more jobs than the other 49 states combined since the bad started. Thats scary good.
Maybe you can fill me in Hoot, what policies do Perry stand for other than economic develeopment and growth. Ive read a great deal on that and for the most part i agree with but havent heard much else about his stand on the war, beliefs, etc.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think im honestly to the point where i would vote for whoever has the best chance of beating Obama.
I really dont think Bachman has that...yet.
Ive never been a Romney fan but i dont believe he would take Obama down either.
Im beggining to really like Perry. While i know the U.S. as a whole is a lot tougher job than Texas alone....his strides in economic development in Texas has been superb.
I seen on CNN where Texas has created more jobs than the other 49 states combined since the bad started. Thats scary good.
Maybe you can fill me in Hoot, what policies do Perry stand for other than economic develeopment and growth. Ive read a great deal on that and for the most part i agree with but havent heard much else about his stand on the war, beliefs, etc.

The president's job is one of common sense and integrity. Ronald Reagan was problably not a constitutional scholar but, he knew how to surround himself with good people and he was smart enough to take their advice. Strength of character is on Perry's side.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tim Pawlenty is the first to drop out after this weekend bet more will come
Texas leads the nation in minimum-wage jobs and many

positions don't offer health benefits

Of course, Texas enjoys advantages that have nothing to do

with having Perry at the helm. Rich in natural resources,

the state has been benefiting from the high price of oil and

the expanded interest in natural gas exploration. Energy

employment has soared by 16.8% over the past year alone.

Many of the positions that have been created are on the lower

end of the pay scale. Some 550,000 workers last year were

paid at or below the federal minimum wage of $7.25, more than

double the number making those wages in 2008, according to the

Bureau of Labor Statistics.

That's 9.5% of Texas' hourly workforce, which gives it the highest

percentage of minimum-wage hourly workers in the nation -- a dubious

title it shares with Mississippi
"We have created jobs, but they are not jobs with good wages and benefits,"

said F. Scott McCown, executive director, Center for Public Policy Priorities

which advocates for low-income residents.

Going forward, the Lone Star State will have to work even harder to create

jobs. That's because Perry signed a budget in May that slashes $15 billion in

government spending over the next two years. Also, the federal stimulus funds

that poured into the state since 2009 have largely dried up.

The state budget cuts alone could result in the loss of more than 100,000 jobs,

many of them in the public sector, Clower said. Thousands of teachers are

already feeling the impact of more than $5 billion in cuts to education funding.
vector Wrote:Texas leads the nation in minimum-wage jobs and many

already feeling the impact of more than $5 billion in cuts to education funding.
Straight from the Obama campaign's talking points via CNN and vector.

Government jobs lost translate to private sector job gains. A government job destroy the wealth that is created by several private sector jobs.

Do you want to comment on the words you copy and pasted, or do you share Obama's opinion of Texas and Rick Perry?
vector Wrote:Texas leads the nation in minimum-wage jobs and many

Post all this liberal blather you want, for right now your man Obama has the keys. But, come next November he's going to have to take a seat in the back of the same bus on which he once told republicans to sit. Reason? Perry will have the keys and the American voters will hand them to him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]