Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butler 3 - Pikeville 2 (State Semi-Finals)
Final
Pikeville's Steven Layne and Gavin Miller are named to the Forcht Bank/KHSAA State Baseball All-Tournament Team.
Very impressive showing from Pikeville. The player who made the last out had reached base safely 8 straight at bats (all hits I think). So Pikeville definitley had a chance as he hit the ball solid to right with runners on. Both Pikeville players who made all-tournament team have opened a lot of eyes of the surrounding teams and scouts. Also the 8th grader Hamilton was extremely impressive during the state tournament.
rock19701 Wrote:Pikeville's Steven Layne and Gavin Miller are named to the Forcht Bank/KHSAA State Baseball All-Tournament Team.

Gavin was a good football player in 8th ,but i havent heard if he still plays
contras to Butler, hats off to Pikeville on there run
Congradulations to Pikeville on a great season.
Congrats go out to Butler. Nothing to be ashamed of Panthers. Just to get this far is an honor, and a great accomplishment. We're proud of these young men. As always, GO PANTHERS!!
Im proud of my Panthers for a GREAT season. Congrats to Butler. I hope they win it all now. Im proud of these boys for also dispelling a myth that has been created by the Panther haters both on this site and out in everyday life that Pikeville cant compete in sports at a high level anymore as in years past. This team has shown everyone that isnt true in BIG way. I also hope that some of the coaches in other sports at PHS have took notice of this team and they see just how many multi-sport athletes were not only members of the team but vital members as well. I was glad to hear Coach Priode mention about sharing athletes during his pre-game interview yesterday. Another quote he had during the interview was my favorite. He said "Pikeville: Small School, HUGE tradition" (Someone make a T-Shirt with that on it and I WILL buy it! LOL!) This years Baseball team has made that tradition a little bit more "Huge". Congrats Boys!
cuppett777 Wrote:Gavin was a good football player in 8th ,but i havent heard if he still plays
He still plays. Hes broke one collar bone his freshmen year and broke the other last year. Now that he doesnt have anymore collar bones left to break he will be heard from this season in football IMO.
Great Season Panthers! They should be very good next year as they only lose two seniors that contributed in their great run!!
Cover3 Wrote:Great Season Panthers! They should be very good next year as they only lose two seniors that contributed in their great run!!

Looking forward to next year. Maybe another run.:Thumbs:
Thank you H.P.Couldn't have been stated better.Hopefully, this will have a positive effect on all sports at P.H.S. These young men will always remember this season as they grow older. After all, they went further than any past baseball team at this school.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Im proud of my Panthers for a GREAT season. Congrats to Butler. I hope they win it all now. Im proud of these boys for also dispelling a myth that has been created by the Panther haters both on this site and out in everyday life that Pikeville cant compete in sports at a high level anymore as in years past. This team has shown everyone that isnt true in BIG way. I also hope that some of the coaches in other sports at PHS have took notice of this team and they see just how many multi-sport athletes were not only members of the team but vital members as well. I was glad to hear Coach Priode mention about sharing athletes during his pre-game interview yesterday. Another quote he had during the interview was my favorite. He said "Pikeville: Small School, HUGE tradition" (Someone make a T-Shirt with that on it and I WILL buy it! LOL!) This years Baseball team has made that tradition a little bit more "Huge". Congrats Boys!

Most of the starters on this years baseball team live outside the city limits and in the county school district and this the how Pikeville can compete at such a high level. .
pikecountyfootball Wrote:Most of the starters on this years baseball team live outside the city limits and in the county school district and this the how Pikeville can compete at such a high level. .

True they live outside the City but they are and have always been Panthers. Scott is the only one not to attend Pikeville Elementary I think.

These Panthers should be proud of their accomplishments, but dont forget they have given up 10 weekends a year for the last 4 years in the summer and fall to make this happen. Now I guess everyone will realize Pikeville was for real as Harrison only beat Butler by 1 run. This years Panther run was not a fluke as many like to think.
I'm like you H.P., i would be glad to buy a t-shirt(s) if & when they are printed, lol. This something that NO ONE can take away from this team!
Most of the posters who know who i am know my allegiance to Belfry, but I have also pulled for Pikeville to do well over the years. Having two sisters graduate from PHS has kept me in line. Listening to the game yesterday, it was so disappointing that PHS could not pull it out. It's kind of funny that the most disappointing loss i have ever been associated with in high school sports was not an event that involved a Belfry team. It was the 1999 football state-semifinal loss to Beechwood, up north, in the game that Pikeville controlled until the last few minutes. The Panther baseball team did reestablish some of the pride for this city we live in and i guarantee there were a lot of fans at all schools throughout the county that pulled for PHS. IMO, the Panthers can get right back there next year if they work hard and keep focused. Great job to coach Priode and his staff!!!!.
:Thumbs:Well said Buckslover 68 . WE as P.H.S. fans pull for Belfry as well.
Ill gladly support any team from the 15th. I was watching this game hoping the panthers would pull it out. I'm sure Pikeville's run this year wasn't a fluke and I fully expect them to be back there next year.
Gavin is not going to play football, he has spoke. Next year, the PHS focus will be alot higher, and with the same but better team. Only 1 spot has to be filled in the field. Look for the Pikeville Independent bus on the Mountain Parkway this time again next year...
Actually Pikeville will have to field two spots in the outfield. Patrick and Scott are not gonna be replaced without a huge dropoff at their positions. Just hope that as the rest of the team develops another year that the dropoff wont be so large at that point. Also they need to develop two more Pitchers at a minimum.

I want to say thanks to all the SENIORS for the leadership they gave to these underclassmen and the cool calm and collect attitudes they displayed playing on the big stage. Patrick, Scott, Lucas, Dustin and Kolby YOU WILL BE MISSED. What a way to end your careers in the FINAL FOUR! Congrats.

Also Congrats to Gavin and Steven on well deserved All Tournament team awards.

Congrats to all the players as it takes a TEAM tosucceed in Baseball not a player or two. Now it is time to get back to work to ensure this happens again in 2011.
Commanche Wrote:Actually Pikeville will have to field two spots in the outfield. Patrick and Scott are not gonna be replaced without a huge dropoff at their positions. Just hope that as the rest of the team develops another year that the dropoff wont be so large at that point. Also they need to develop two more Pitchers at a minimum.

I want to say thanks to all the SENIORS for the leadership they gave to these underclassmen and the cool calm and collect attitudes they displayed playing on the big stage. Patrick, Scott, Lucas, Dustin and Kolby YOU WILL BE MISSED. What a way to end your careers in the FINAL FOUR! Congrats.

Also Congrats to Gavin and Steven on well deserved All Tournament team awards.

Congrats to all the players as it takes a TEAM tosucceed in Baseball not a player or two. Now it is time to get back to work to ensure this happens again in 2011.

Forgot about the other.

The word on the block is that they will be getting a clubhouse attached to the dugout and an indoor batting cage :Thumbs:
If...Then Wrote:Forgot about the other.

The word on the block is that they will be getting a clubhouse attached to the dugout and an indoor batting cage :Thumbs:

Cool! This is already one of the best facilites in the region. After the addition, it will be enhanced even more.:1:
Great Job! But all the responsibility for Pikeville going to the Final Four lays in the hands of Mike Spears. Bottom line all the fundamentals and learning about baseball has come from the East Ky Bombers coach Mike Spears which most of these kids played for. Pikeville coaching staff has not taught these kids anything since Proide has been there, all he has been to these boys is a Gaurdian. If anyone has been to any practices of both teams they connot argue what i just posted which is nothing but the truth.

Proide has taught them one thing "ready one adjust two'' whatever that means.
rag on priode if you want...he is still the only coach in phs history to take a team to the final four....He is going to go down as the best coach at pikeville no matter what anyone does or says....So that being said congrats to Priode and the panthers...
pikecountyfootball Wrote:Most of the starters on this years baseball team live outside the city limits and in the county school district and this the how Pikeville can compete at such a high level. Which is how the football competed in the past. Now that they don't get a high number of county players for their football team Pikeville has a hard time going far in the state football playoffs.
They still go farther on average than any county school not named Belfry. So whats your point?
pikecountyfootball Wrote:Most of the starters on this years baseball team live outside the city limits and in the county school district and this the how Pikeville can compete at such a high level. .

I guess they know a better school & sports program when they see it.:biggrin:
Okay... This is the ONLY warning that will be issued in this thread... From here on out, there will be infractions issued to anyone, and I do mean ANYONE who throws this off topic, posts about football, who chooses to attend school @ Pikeville, etc..... This thread is about the GAME in which Pikeville High School baseball made 99% of the 15th region very, very proud in getting to. Granted, I wish myself the outcome would have been different but it wasn't in the cards this year.

Remember, this is the ONLY warning to be issued, so unless you want an infraction or possible suspension (depending upon the post you make), you will KEEP THIS ON TOPIC!

FOR REFERENCE: I have deleted some posts that have no business in this thread....KEEP IT ON TOPIC!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Thank you. This post was never about football, and it really distracted from the topic,imo.
I agree with Fred in some ways. Coach Booher from valley got the credit for what Greg Newsome did . Looks like Proide is getting the credit for what Mike Spears and Dusty Layne has done.
fred taylor Wrote:Great Job! But all the responsibility for Pikeville going to the Final Four lays in the hands of Mike Spears. Bottom line all the fundamentals and learning about baseball has come from the East Ky Bombers coach Mike Spears which most of these kids played for. Pikeville coaching staff has not taught these kids anything since Proide has been there, all he has been to these boys is a Gaurdian. If anyone has been to any practices of both teams they connot argue what i just posted which is nothing but the truth.

Proide has taught them one thing "ready one adjust two'' whatever that means.

AMEN

Mike is a good coach and good man who teaches the kids the game of baseball in the summer and fall with the Bombers, an extremley good team which I reckon you have to be pretty good to play on there. Im sure most of the first 9 are Pikeville players. Priode couldnt give a cows hide less about all these boys in the off season. Doesnt have them throwing in the fall or anything like the bigger schools do and he still expects to be on top. I know the kids had to meet after school and do what they could to keep their arms from tightening up. If you ask me, the State-Semi's credit should be rewarded to Mike.