Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flood / Meeting with McConnell
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Seriously hoot you come in here with your liberal jokes and and conservative tactics, when none of that is needed at this time,.. I dont get it. Have you seen some of the pictures and Stuff?
If you are not going to read my posts, then stop asking me questions that I have already answered. You don't get it because you see the federal government as an entity that should try to be all things to all people. I see a large federal government as a destroyer of human souls. It robs individual citizens of dignity and a sense of purpose in life.

Every time a state governor or US Congressman manages to get part of his or her state declared a disaster area, con artists sweep in and make sure that a substantial amount of the relief funds spent goes toward fraud. Another large cut of the funds goes toward the waste necessary to administer programs from the nation's capital. A few months after the disaster, stories will run about how many millions of dollars scam artists took home. A few get caught but many don't. That is why I strongly oppose federal expenditures on disaster relief. Government is less accountable at its highest levels and most accountable at the local level. If there must be government spending of disaster relief, then let the money come from local and state sources.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If you are not going to read my posts, then stop asking me questions that I have already answered. You don't get it because you see the federal government as an entity that should try to be all things to all people. I see a large federal government as a destroyer of human souls. It robs individual citizens of dignity and a sense of purpose in life.

Every time a state governor or US Congressman manages to get part of his or her state declared a disaster area, con artists sweep in and make sure that a substantial amount of the relief funds spent goes toward fraud. Another large cut of the funds goes toward the waste necessary to administer programs from the nation's capital. A few months after the disaster, stories will run about how many millions of dollars scam artists took home. A few get caught but many don't. That is why I strongly oppose federal expenditures on disaster relief. Government is less accountable at its highest levels and most accountable at the local level. If there must be government spending of disaster relief, then let the money come from local and state sources.

Yes the federal government should try to help us all. We pay their bills. they should help us every once and awhile.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If you are not going to read my posts, then stop asking me questions that I have already answered. You don't get it because you see the federal government as an entity that should try to be all things to all people. I see a large federal government as a destroyer of human souls. It robs individual citizens of dignity and a sense of purpose in life.

And i dont care about your political views at this point. Thats not what i was asking about. thats not what this thread is about.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Have you ever been faced with this type of Disaster?
Have you? I have never lived in a home that was flooded myself. I have always avoided living in areas subject to flooding because I helped clean up houses of friends and families at an early age. I have also helped evacuate homes and businesses in advance of flooding. Back then,
FEMA did not exist and people tended to accept their own responsibility for the results of personal decisions. Maybe federal funding for flood relief was widely available prior to FEMA, but if it was I was not aware of it.

Flooding in eastern Kentucky was a much worse problem back in the 70s before Paintsville Lake was built and prior to the completion of the cut-through in Pikeville. When the coffer dam was near failure during the construction of the Paintsville Lake dam in the late 70s, I remember evacuating my grandparents as we ran up the hill with mattresses on our backs and watched for the wall of water that everybody was sure was on its way.

I have always carried insurance adequate to cover losses that I could not afford to cover out of pocket. If a person cannot afford insurance for their replacement cost of their house, then they cannot afford the house.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Yes the federal government should try to help us all. We pay their bills. they should help us every once and awhile.
But we do not pay their bills. 0bama and the Democratic Congress have added more than $2 trillion dollars to the national debt in less than two years. At the end of this year, the national debt will reach the highest point as a percentage of our GDP since the end of World War II. Nobody is paying the bills. Your children, their children, and who knows how many other future generations will be paying those bills.

It is unfair to saddle our children with such an enormous load of debt because the current generation is demanding more benefits than it is willing or able to pay for.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:And i dont care about your political views at this point. Thats not what i was asking about. thats not what this thread is about.
Yes. That is what this thread is about. When a person or group meets with the Senate Majority Leader to plead for money, it is a political event. I am sure that McConnell will promise to have his staff investigate the extent of the flooding and direct his constituents to people who can provide the requested help. That is what is wrong with our federal government. Even most people claiming to be conservatives who preach fiscal responsibility lack the will to draw the line on spending.

Current spending levels are destroying our long term economic prospects and dooming future generations to a lower standard of living than we have enjoyed.

What is fair about making people who have not yet been born pay for government benefits handed out today, which our government will no longer be able to afford in the future? It is like eating an expensive meal at a fancy restaurant and expecting the next person through the door to pay for it and then leave hungry.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Have you? I have never lived in a home that was flooded myself. I have always avoided living in areas subject to flooding because I helped clean up houses of friends and families at an early age. I have also helped evacuate homes and businesses in advance of flooding. Back then,
FEMA did not exist and people tended to accept their own responsibility for the results of personal decisions. Maybe federal funding for flood relief was widely available prior to FEMA, but if it was I was not aware of it.

Flooding in eastern Kentucky was a much worse problem back in the 70s before Paintsville Lake was built and prior to the completion of the cut-through in Pikeville. When the coffer dam was near failure during the construction of the Paintsville Lake dam in the late 70s, I remember evacuating my grandparents as we ran up the hill with mattresses on our backs and watched for the wall of water that everybody was sure was on its way.

I have always carried insurance adequate to cover losses that I could not afford to cover out of pocket. If a person cannot afford insurance for their replacement cost of their house, then they cannot afford the house.

I pay taxes, He pays taxes, The government should help us when we need it.

And yes hoot i have been through this. 1997 my families house exploded from a gas leak. Luckily my family was in a lot better financial situation then and we could manage just fine. My mother lost thousands of pictures from her family not including everything we owned. Dont preach to people who cant decide were they live. People in eastern kentucky scrape by. We live were we can. And make the best of it.

Also i have spoken with 15thRegionSlamaBamma about this subject before, His reason for meeting with McConnell was totally different, however his situation has changed.

I am just amazed at you. Living in eastern kentucky as a child looks like you would show some respect to this guys situation.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:But we do not pay their bills. 0bama and the Democratic Congress have added more than $2 trillion dollars to the national debt in less than two years. At the end of this year, the national debt will reach the highest point as a percentage of our GDP since the end of World War II. Nobody is paying the bills. Your children, their children, and who knows how many other future generations will be paying those bills.

It is unfair to saddle our children with such an enormous load of debt because the current generation is demanding more benefits than it is willing or able to pay for.

I couldnt care less about obama and the democratic congress. Or the Murdering ******* you call bush. then isnt what im here to talk about. I'm done talking to you. There is no point.

Hopefully i can avoid replying to your post in the future.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I couldnt care less about obama and the democratic congress. Or the Murdering ******* you call bush. then isnt what im here to talk about. I'm done talking to you. There is no point.

:Thumbs:
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I pay taxes, He pays taxes, The government should help us when we need it.

And yes hoot i have been through this. 1997 my families house exploded from a gas leak. Luckily my family was in a lot better financial situation then and we could manage just fine. My mother lost thousands of pictures from her family not including everything we owned. Dont preach to people who cant decide were they live. People in eastern kentucky scrape by. We live were we can. And make the best of it.

Also i have spoken with 15thRegionSlamaBamma about this subject before, His reason for meeting with McConnell was totally different, however his situation has changed.

I am just amazed at you. Living in eastern kentucky as a child looks like you would show some respect to this guys situation.
Your childish insults get old. You do not know me at all and yet you make assumptions about me that could not be more misleading. I have lived in homes without indoor plumbing in eastern Kentucky and remember long cold walks to an outhouse. Can you say the same? Fortunately, my father worked very hard, sometimes holding down two or three jobs at a time, and overcame poverty without the help of the federal government. I even remember my dad shifting into neutral and coasting down hills because we were nearly our of gas and had no money to fill the tank. I never really understood just how poor we were until years later.

So, don't lecture me about growing up poor in eastern Kentucky. People always have a choice as to where they live - sometimes it just takes some saving, sacrifice, hard work, and time to be able to escape a bad situation.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I couldnt care less about obama and the democratic congress. Or the Murdering ******* you call bush. then isnt what im here to talk about. I'm done talking to you. There is no point.

That's great news. Your poor spelling, grammar, and childish insults make your posts tedious reads anyway.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Your childish insults get old. You do not know me at all and yet you make assumptions about me that could not be more misleading. I have lived in homes without indoor plumbing in eastern Kentucky and remember long cold walks to an outhouse. Can you say the same? Fortunately, my father worked very hard, sometimes holding down two or three jobs at a time, and overcame poverty without the help of the federal government. I even remember my dad shifting into neutral and coasting down hills because we were nearly our of gas and had no money to fill the tank. I never really understood just how poor we were until years later.

So, don't lecture me about growing up poor in eastern Kentucky. People always have a choice as to where they live - sometimes it just takes some saving, sacrifice, hard work, and time to be able to escape a bad situation.

I never wants insulted you.

You need some lecturing. Say you know what its like. You give us a child hood story of living in eastern kentucky but yet you come in the thread with that bull crap liberal bashing ****. When it had nothing to do with this.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I never wants insulted you.

You need some lecturing. Say you know what its like. You give us a child hood story of living in eastern kentucky but yet you come in the thread with that bull crap liberal bashing ****. When it had nothing to do with this.
Wow, your hiatus on responding to my posts sure did not last long. Who appointed you moderator, anyway? Were you a victim of the flood? Why do you think your opinion, incoherent such that it is, deserves space on this thread while mine does not? Never mind answering those rhetorical questions. I would prefer that you simply try harder not to respond to my posts. I can make better use of my time anyway.
My grandma's funeral was today, in Pike Co. Most my family is from Pike Co and some of them were late for the funeral due to the condition of the roads. My thoughts and prayers will be with the people affected by the flood.
It flooded again in Pike County? I have relatives that run a funeral home in Belfry, did it flood bad there?

We had flash flooding last night. Lots of streets in Shelbyville were closed. The night before we had 80-90 mph winds cause lots of damage. It sounds like Kentucky is having some bad weather.
Aslan Wrote:My grandma's funeral was today, in Pike Co. Most my family is from Pike Co and some of them were late for the funeral due to the condition of the roads. My thoughts and prayers will be with the people affected by the flood.
I am sorry for your loss, Aslan. What areas were affected by the flooding? All I could find on the story was the H-L article and it did a poor job of providing details. The article mentioned that 200 houses were damaged or destroyed but the only areas specifically mentioned was Chloe Creek and Zebulon, where two people died.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am sorry for your loss, Aslan. What areas were affected by the flooding? All I could find on the story was the H-L article and it did a poor job of providing details. The article mentioned that 200 houses were damaged or destroyed but the only areas specifically mentioned was Chloe Creek and Zebulon, where two people died.

Idk how familiar you are with the area Hoot but the flood ranged from My house which is right below the new road, along what we call the old zebulon road with goes past coon creek, the church that is shown on the picture thread, past johns creek fire dept, and I think the road that takes you to Phelps/Cookie Factory got a bit of it as well. What suprises me is that Brushy got nothing.

Aslan, I am very sorry about your loss and we are here for you at BGR if you or you family need anything. I may not have much now but I have a heart and I have compassion and those two things will prevail over all things.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Idk how familiar you are with the area Hoot but the flood ranged from My house which is right below the new road, along what we call the old zebulon road with goes past coon creek, the church that is shown on the picture thread, past johns creek fire dept, and I think the road that takes you to Phelps/Cookie Factory got a bit of it as well. What suprises me is that Brushy got nothing.

Aslan, I am very sorry about your loss and we are here for you at BGR if you or you family need anything. I may not have much now but I have a heart and I have compassion and those two things will prevail over all things.
Thanks for the additional information. It has been many years but I used to travel that area a lot when I worked in the coal mining industry. I briefly carpooled with a guy who lived in the Zebulon trailer park (don't know if it is still there or not). As I recall, there are a lot of low lying bottoms on the road to the cookie factory. I used to travel that way to McCoy Elkhorn's mines and office.

I am sorry that I missed the fact in your first post that the flash flooding took place last night and that your family was affected directly. Had I read more closely, I would not have commented on the politics of the situation and would have left that debate for a happier time. I wish that you were meeting with Sen. McConnell under better circumstances.

Living in the DC as a young adult is a great educational experience. My daughter is coming to visit us here later this month and she is looking forward to exploring Washington via the Metro. I live in NOVA, ride the Metro to work every day, and it has been a great experience for me. The only negative for me has been that the traffic here is the worse that I have ever seen. Indy was a breeze to drive compared to the DC area.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Thanks for the additional information. It has been many years but I used to travel that area a lot when I worked in the coal mining industry. I briefly carpooled with a guy who lived in the Zebulon trailer park (don't know if it is still there or not).

I am sorry that I missed the fact in your first post that the flash flooding took place last night and that your family was affected directly. Had I read more closely, I would not have commented on the politics of the situation and would have left that debate for a happier time. I wish that you were meeting with Sen. McConnell under better circumstances.

Living in the DC as a young adult is a great educational experience. My daughter is coming to visit us here later this month and she is looking forward to exploring Washington via the Metro. I live in NOVA, ride the Metro to work every day, and it has been a great experience for me. The only negative for me has been that the traffic here is the worse that I have ever seen. Indy was a breeze to drive compared to the DC area.

Yep, sure is and they got hit really hard. Don't sweat it you made a mistake and we all make a mistake but your comments were pretty harsh. Also, just so you know this meeting was set up FAR before yesterday it was actually to be a public policy meeting which it will still be however, I do not plan to ask for money however, I do plan to ask for more FEMA, national guard and other groups to come in for more relief because its going to take a while to restore the community.

Interesting I work in Arlington off court house metro stop. I live in NOMA off of New York Ave.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Yep, sure is and they got hit really hard. Don't sweat it you made a mistake and we all make a mistake but your comments were pretty harsh. Also, just so you know this meeting was set up FAR before yesterday it was actually to be a public policy meeting which it will still be however, I do not plan to ask for money however, I do plan to ask for more FEMA, national guard and other groups to come in for more relief because its going to take a while to restore the community.

Interesting I work in Arlington off court house metro stop. I live in NOMA off of New York Ave.
It's a small world. I also work in Arlington near the Ballston station but live in Vienna. My wife and I love the area around the Clarendon stop. There are more good restaurants close to the Clarendon station than anyplace that we have been so far. The Asian restaurants in this area are awesome.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It's a small world. I also work in Arlington near the Ballston station but live in Vienna. My wife and I love the area around the Clarendon stop. There are more good restaurants close to the Clarendon station than anyplace that we have been so far. The Asian restaurants in this area are awesome.

Well we will have to meet and go out to eat before I leave if you want.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Well we will have to meet and go out to eat before I leave if you want.
Sounds good. We can leave the political debates at home long enough to have a good meal.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Wow, your hiatus on responding to my posts sure did not last long. Who appointed you moderator, anyway? Were you a victim of the flood? Why do you think your opinion, incoherent such that it is, deserves space on this thread while mine does not? Never mind answering those rhetorical questions. I would prefer that you simply try harder not to respond to my posts. I can make better use of my time anyway.

Its hard not to respond to your post when someone feels so strongly on the subject.

Because my opinion was remorse for these people when you offered cold hearted remarks.

I see you came to an understanding and apologized for reading wrong. good for you.
My wife had a Daycare Center over at Zebulon. It is now setting 15 feet off it's foundation due to the flood waters and is totally destroyed. I know it couldve been worse but running that daycare center was her passion and now it's gone. I know some folks lost alot more than that but my heart just breaks for her. I pray for all those involved.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Sounds good. We can leave the political debates at home long enough to have a good meal.

alright just send me a PM and we will get together...My grandmother passed away tonight so I will be heading back to Pikeville for a few days this week at some point, but next week we can for sure. :Thumbs:
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:alright just send me a PM and we will get together...My grandmother passed away tonight so I will be heading back to Pikeville for a few days this week at some point, but next week we can for sure. :Thumbs:
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. Have a safe trip home.
Pike and Shelby Counties in Kentucky are under a State of Emergency. The governor is supposed to tour Pike County today.
I hate it for the folks of Pike Co. They have been hit hard recently with flooding. There isn't much you can do to avoid it either. I live in an area where flooding was never a concern, as the only creek near me is on the other side of Rt. 114, which is the main road between Prestonsburg and Salyersville. Unfortunately, because our road departments have failed to clean out ditches, culverts, etc., my house flooded twice in two years. Flood insurance was something we couldn't even purchase for my house and we were in a place that was not a flood prone area. Thankfully, we had FEMA help us out with the things that we lost. But in certain instances, flooding is something you can't help. Last year, the highway dept. came through and cleaned out the culverts and ditches and we haven't had the first problem since.