Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosque Planned Near Ground Zero in New York City
Old School Wrote:I was unable to find your article on the Fox News site, however I ran across the article below which gives a little more info.

The last bit of hopeful news for St. Nicholas came two years ago, in July 2008, when church officials and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced a deal which would have allowed the church to be rebuilt about two blocks from its original location.

The Port Authority agreed to give the church a parcel of land at Liberty and Greenwich Streets, and contribute $20 million toward construction of a new sanctuary. The Port Authority also agreed to build an explosion-proof platform and foundation for the new church building, which would sit on top of a screening area for cars and trucks entering the underground garages at the new World Trade Center.

Trouble emerged after St. Nicholas announced its plans to build a traditional Greek Orthodox church building, 24,000 square feet in size, topped with a grand dome. Port Authority officials told the church to cut back the size of the building and the height of the proposed dome, limiting it to rising no higher than the World Trade Center memorial. The deal fell apart for good in March 2009, when the Port Authority abruptly ended the talks after refusing to allow church officials to review plans for the garage and screening area underneath. Sixteen months later, the two sides have still not met to resume negotiations.

St. Nicholas Church’s difficulty in getting approvals to rebuild stands in stark contrast to the treatment that the developers of the proposed Cordoba mosque have received. New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, state Atty. Gen. Andrew Cuomo, and a raft of city officials have all come out publicly in favor of building the mosque, and the city’s Landmarks and Preservation Commission recently voted unanimously to deny protection to the building currently occupying the site where the mosque is to be built.

The mosque is proposed to rise 13 stories, far above the height of the World Trade Center memorial, with no height restrictions imposed.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=38462

Sad.
)
Here's a question I do ask myself when it comes to this subject. Why there? Why do they have to have it built there? What is the reason for building it in that exact location? Until that is answered I say deny them from building it.
Beetle01 Wrote:Here's a question I do ask myself when it comes to this subject. Why there? Why do they have to have it built there? What is the reason for building it in that exact location? Until that is answered I say deny them from building it.

Maybe because they want show off their true culture to America, and not have people constantly labeling them with stereotypes. I dont know if there are many places in New York City where a $100 million cultural center could be built, but it seems unlikely.

I know it seems like a slap in the face, but they are Americans and as long as it falls in the zoning laws they have the right to build there.
Beetle01 Wrote:Here's a question I do ask myself when it comes to this subject. Why there? Why do they have to have it built there? What is the reason for building it in that exact location? Until that is answered I say deny them from building it.

What are the acceptable and unacceptable answers?