Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the minimum wage be lowered?
I think it should for now, down to around $6. This would allow for higher employment among unskilled workers. Whats your stance on this?
ukyfootball Wrote:I think it should for now, down to around $6. This would allow for higher employment among unskilled workers. Whats your stance on this?
No the minimum wage should not be lowered. It should be eliminated.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No the minimum wage should not be lowered. It should be eliminated.

This is a first. Youre on the right side of my political views this time, though more radical. Most economists believe it should be eliminated. However, I believe it should be lowered so people will have a happy medium.

Eliminating the minimum wage would improve unemployment drastically, however. The only problem I see with this is potential employees getting into (negative) bidding wars in order to be hired.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No the minimum wage should not be lowered. It should be eliminated.

ukyfootball Wrote:This is a first. Youre on the right side of my political views this time, though more radical. Most economists believe it should be eliminated. However, I believe it should be lowered so people will have a happy medium.

Eliminating the minimum wage would improve unemployment drastically, however. The only problem I see with this is potential employees getting into (negative) bidding wars in order to be hired.

I agree with eliminating it, but I do think it has to be phased. If not, you will have massive cuts on current jobs, only to rehire at a different job title.
Stardust Wrote:I agree with eliminating it, but I do think it has to be phased. If not, you will have massive cuts on current jobs, only to rehire at a different job title.

I would think so, too. Anybody who has their current job should keep it at that way as it has a direct relation with fixed expenses.
ukyfootball Wrote:I would think so, too. Anybody who has their current job should keep it at that way as it has a direct relation with fixed expenses.

Absolutely:Thumbs:
I have a question, without getting into the debate of eliminating the min. wage or not.

How would you hire new people below the current min. wage if it were eliminated, and the current min. wage earners in you company kept their salary?
Old School Wrote:I have a question, without getting into the debate of eliminating the min. wage or not.

How would you hire new people below the current min. wage if it were eliminated, and the current min. wage earners in you company kept their salary?
You would just offer them a lower starting wage. In some cases, companies would cut current salaries to reflect the supply of labor. In other cases, new employees might be hired at a rate above the current minimum wage, as they are now in areas of low unemployment.

The current system is really unfair because it does not take into account the local unemployment rate, availability of labor, or cost of living. Having the same minimum wage in areas with a low cost of living like Mississippi as areas with a high cost of living such as northern Virginia makes no sense. Allowing a free market to set the entry level wages would be a much more fair system.

Our welfare system (including unemployment benefits) would keep the actual starting wages from dropping too low, especially if our politicians began fulfilling their constitutional duty of securing our borders.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You would just offer them a lower starting wage. In some cases, companies would cut current salaries to reflect the supply of labor. In other cases, new employees might be hired at a rate above the current minimum wage, as they are now in areas of low unemployment.

The current system is really unfair because it does not take into account the local unemployment rate, availability of labor, or cost of living. Having the same minimum wage in areas with a low cost of living like Mississippi as areas with a high cost of living such as northern Virginia makes no sense. Allowing a free market to set the entry level wages would be a much more fair system.

Our welfare system (including unemployment benefits) would keep the actual starting wages from dropping too low, especially if our politicians began fulfilling their constitutional duty of securing our borders.

Someone had stated earlier that current min. wage employees should still recieve the $8.25 per hour even though the min. wage was decreased. I think this would cause problems in the workfore especially if there were different pay rates for the same positions at the same company.

I agree, however I would think that nothern Virginia with the higher cost of living would have fewer min. wage positions than Mississippi.

IMO, securing our borders would help our country and economy more than most realize.
Old School Wrote:Someone had stated earlier that current min. wage employees should still recieve the $8.25 per hour even though the min. wage was decreased. I think this would cause problems in the workfore especially if there were different pay rates for the same positions at the same company.

I agree, however I would think that nothern Virginia with the higher cost of living would have fewer min. wage positions than Mississippi.

IMO, securing our borders would help our country and economy more than most realize.
I agree on all counts. A minimum wage at or near its current level would have no impact in areas with unemployment rates in the 5 percent or lower range. The presence of 12 million illegal aliens inflates the unemployment rate.

I recall periods of low unemployment in Lexington where some fast food restaurants in had to close early because they could not hire and retain enough entry level workers - despite offering starting wages above the minimum. In a healthy economy competition for labor keeps wage rates reasonably high. 0bamanomics is not conducive to a healthy economy.

Federal taxes are slated to soar in 2011, the national debt is increasing at a record rate, and consumer confidence is plummeting. In short, 0bama and the Democrats are doing the opposite of what needs to be done to facilitate a healthy economy. Maintaining an artificially high minimum wage hurts the economy but it helps Democrats politically - so the federal minimum wage is not likely to go away anytime soon.
I do believe after you eliminate the minimum wage, then you lay the hammer on shady businessmen. They will have no excuse then for hiring illegal immigrants. This is what I believe the punishment should be:

1st offense - $1000.00 fine per illegal employed
2nd offense - $10,000.00 fine per illegal employed.
3rd offense - 10 years in jail per illegal employed.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I do believe after you eliminate the minimum wage, then you lay the hammer on shady businessmen. They will have no excuse then for hiring illegal immigrants. This is what I believe the punishment should be:

After you eliminate the Minimum wage, the first thing you do is eliminate Welfare for those who abuse the system. We lose a **** of a lot more to the freeloaders than we do to 3.00 an hour pay to illegal immigrants!
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I do believe after you eliminate the minimum wage, then you lay the hammer on shady businessmen. They will have no excuse then for hiring illegal immigrants. This is what I believe the punishment should be:

The problem with this is nobody wants many of these jobs. I'm all for the fast food business being swiped clean, but many people dont want construction or landscaping jobs.
If we lived in a perfect world we could do away with the minimum wage. However, we've seen in this country time and countless time again that businesses and employers will take advantage of their employees for profit. So we need a wage standard, I would be okay with bumping it up to about 9 dollars.
Beetle01 Wrote:If we lived in a perfect world we could do away with the minimum wage. However, we've seen in this country time and countless time again that businesses and employers will take advantage of their employees for profit. So we need a wage standard, I would be okay with bumping it up to about 9 dollars.

Thats an absolutely terrible idea.
Beetle01 Wrote:If we lived in a perfect world we could do away with the minimum wage. However, we've seen in this country time and countless time again that businesses and employers will take advantage of their employees for profit. So we need a wage standard, I would be okay with bumping it up to about 9 dollars.
If 9 dollars an hour is good, wouldn't 18 dollars an hour be twice as good?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If 9 dollars an hour is good, wouldn't 18 dollars an hour be twice as good?

Hey, if we quadruple the minimum wage at that price, everybody will live very comfortably!!

HE'S A GENIUS!!!! :worthy:
ukyfootball Wrote:Hey, if we quadruple the minimum wage at that price, everybody will live very comfortably!!

HE'S A GENIUS!!!! :worthy:
...and cut the work week to 4 days and allow everybody who wants to telecommute to do so using a free government provided broadband connection.
No it should not be eliminated.
bluedog Wrote:No it should not be eliminated.

Why should it not be eliminated? Should it be lowered?