Poll: Who will win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Allen Central
67.86%
Jenkins
32.14%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allen Central @ Jenkins 8/27
Larry Maggard is a good coach, I played with his name sake, his Uncle Larry Maggard at Whitesburg. This Larry has simply not had time to turn this depleted program around, they certainly have imroved since last year. He will go down big to Allen Central again this year but if he lasts all of next year significent improvement could be realzed ! Good luck Larry!!
gotcha2 Wrote:Okay Rebels- it's time to play ball. No looking back guys, just look forward. It's a new season and a new chance for you guys to show everyone what your made of. Chase, Shane and Mickey-it's time to be leaders and lead your team to another winning season. The Class of 2010 left some big shoes to fill, but I know you guys are ready for the challenge. GOOD LUCK at Jenkins- let's get this season started on a winning note and then keep it going!! KEEP ON BELIEVIN'

I think it will be another winning season for AC because there non-district opponents put together the awesome record of (9-36) last season. If AC really wants to improve and get to a point where they can compeate with Pikeville, Paintsville, and Hazard they need to schedule a little better non-district opponets. I'm not saying they need to go and schedule Belfry, Breathitt County, Prestonsburg, and Sheldon Clark etc. but they need to schedule some middle of the road teams. Teams that are on the verge of making a run into the playoffs every season.
Don't forget catch Allen Central @ Jenkins tonight online www.ekbsports.com or 104.5 FM - 900 - 960 - 1400...If you can't make the game.
Bleacher_Creature_10 Wrote:I think it will be another winning season for AC because there non-district opponents put together the awesome record of (9-36) last season. If AC really wants to improve and get to a point where they can compeate with Pikeville, Paintsville, and Hazard they need to schedule a little better non-district opponets. I'm not saying they need to go and schedule Belfry, Breathitt County, Prestonsburg, and Sheldon Clark etc. but they need to schedule some middle of the road teams. Teams that are on the verge of making a run into the playoffs every season.

Not sure where you got the 9-36, my numbers looked more like 25-46. But my question is, WHO do you suggest Allen Central play. With KHSAA determining what weeks you play your district games, scheduling can be more difficult. AC plays in a 6 team district, which means 5 weeks are automatically taken. AC gets to "pick" 5 games/opponents, two of which are 1A schools (Jenkins/Harlan), one 2A school (Knott County) and two 3A schools (East Ridge and Jackson County). Until the last two seasons, Allen Central usually finished below .500. Now, with two winning seasons under their belt the number of players on the field is unprecidented at AC. If you caught their pre-season interview on WYMT, then you know in the past AC has had trouble even having enough players to put 11 on each side of the ball for practice. Rome wasn't built in a day, and Allen Central Football can't be built in a day. Slowly but surely the coaches, players and at long last the community have come together and the "team" is finally on it's way to being a "program".

GOOD LUCK TONIGHT REBELS!! KEEP BELIEVIN'
gotcha2 Wrote:Not sure where you got the 9-36, my numbers looked more like 25-46. But my question is, WHO do you suggest Allen Central play. With KHSAA determining what weeks you play your district games, scheduling can be more difficult. AC plays in a 6 team district, which means 5 weeks are automatically taken. AC gets to "pick" 5 games/opponents, two of which are 1A schools (Jenkins/Harlan), one 2A school (Knott County) and two 3A schools (East Ridge and Jackson County). Until the last two seasons, Allen Central usually finished below .500. Now, with two winning seasons under their belt the number of players on the field is unprecidented at AC. If you caught their pre-season interview on WYMT, then you know in the past AC has had trouble even having enough players to put 11 on each side of the ball for practice. Rome wasn't built in a day, and Allen Central Football can't be built in a day. Slowly but surely the coaches, players and at long last the community have come together and the "team" is finally on it's way to being a "program".

GOOD LUCK TONIGHT REBELS!! KEEP BELIEVIN'

I'm sorry I left East Ridge's record off. They went (3-8) which brings AC's non-district record to a grand total of (12-44)

TEAM-------RECORD
Jenkins-----(1-10)
Jackson Co.-----(0-10)
Harlan------(7-6)
0East Ridge------(3-8)
Knott Central----(1-10)

I'm not saying that AC is gonna turn into a state title contender over night but they could schedule teams like Shelby Valley, Harlan County, Perry Central etc. teams that are just on the edge of making good runs into the playoffs. That's the only way i see that this team will ever be an actual contender in the district and ultimately the region.
Bleacher_Creature_10 Wrote:I'm sorry I left East Ridge's record off. They went (3-8) which brings AC's non-district record to a grand total of (11-44)

TEAM-------RECORD
Jenkins-----(1-10)
Jackson Co.-----(0-10)
Harlan------(7-6)
0East Ridge------(3-8)
Knott Central----(1-10)

I'm not saying that AC is gonna turn into a state title contender over night but they could schedule teams like Shelby Valley, Harlan County, Perry Central etc. teams that are just on the edge of making good runs into the playoffs. That's the only way i see that this team will ever be an actual contender in the district and ultimately the region.

Well I actually included Pineville and Hazard in my numbers, so that makes the difference there. I think AC is stuck between a rock and a hard place, the teams you mention- are also looking to play better competition each season. So many of them don't want to play down to a 1A school- especially a 1A school that has struggled to even finish .500 in the past. If AC can keep finishing with a winning record each season and keep building their roster (numbers and talent)- then perhaps those 2A and 3A schools will be willing to schedule them. Until then, I don't see much of a change in their scheduling.
gotcha2 Wrote:Well I actually included Pineville and Hazard in my numbers, so that makes the difference there. I think AC is stuck between a rock and a hard place, the teams you mention- are also looking to play better competition each season. So many of them don't want to play down to a 1A school- especially a 1A school that has struggled to even finish .500 in the past. If AC can keep finishing with a winning record each season and keep building their roster (numbers and talent)- then perhaps those 2A and 3A schools will be willing to schedule them. Until then, I don't see much of a change in their scheduling.

Your right, not many teams that are contenders are willing to play smaller schools with below .500 records. So what I think AC is going to have to do is knock off Paintsville this season (which is not beyond the realm of possibility at this point) and then make a small run into the playoffs and play a Hazard or a Lexington Christian really well or beat them. But that's going to be tough to do when the best team you played in the regular season had a (7-6) record.
Bleacher_Creature_10 Wrote:Your right, not many teams that are contenders are willing to play smaller schools with below .500 records. So what I think AC is going to have to do is knock off Paintsville this season (which is not beyond the realm of possibility at this point) and then make a small run into the playoffs and play a Hazard or a Lexington Christian really well or beat them. But that's going to be tough to do when the best team you played in the regular season had a (7-6) record.

If memory serves me correctly, that 7-6 team knocked off Pikeville at Pikeville in the second round of the playoffs last year. And I am pretty sure Pikeville really played up in their schedule last season and that did not help them against a 7-6 team that AC beat.