Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Hartline will start against Louisville
Joker names senior, Mike Hartline the starter for the opener at Louisville.

Cannot say I'm surprised.
Many people are going to bash this but the kid is a senior and if he can come out playing good he can provide us with some senior leadership
he is not nearly the athlete that newton is!!!! at least we have cobb and locke to do work
All I can say is that Hartline either has some damaging photos of Joker or his parents are pumping alot of money into the program. The team does not respond to Hartline like they did to Newton. PERIOD! Hartline is an immature jerk who likes to point the finger at others when things arent going well. That isnt a true leader. I think Joker will live to regret this one. Especially if "flatline" single handedly takes us out of the Louisville game like he did the 'Bama game last year with his great decision making skills such as throwing into triple coverage on 3rd and long when youve got the lead!
I'm tired of Hartline. I believe this will be a down year for UK but I believe Newton gives them a better chance to win than Hartline. Start Newton, get him experience for next year.
Aslan Wrote:I'm tired of Hartline. I believe this will be a down year for UK but I believe Newton gives them a better chance to win than Hartline. Start Newton, get him experience for next year.
i believe we will be better this year than last. especially our offense with locke, cobb and mathews. the defense lost our best DT but still have 3 good ones. at LB we just lost johnson but still have the best one in trevathan. Defense backs will be biggest question. special teams should be sick.....just wondering how we beat auburn in auburn last year, lost to USC barely and have the same records and don't get no love at all. But joker will have these guys going for sure. i'm sure you'll see cobb at QB more this year too.
UK loses a good portion of there front 7. You have to stop the run in football but especially the SEC and I don't believe UK will be able to do so.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:All I can say is that Hartline either has some damaging photos of Joker or his parents are pumping alot of money into the program. The team does not respond to Hartline like they did to Newton. PERIOD! Hartline is an immature jerk who likes to point the finger at others when things arent going well. That isnt a true leader. I think Joker will live to regret this one. Especially if "flatline" single handedly takes us out of the Louisville game like he did the 'Bama game last year with his great decision making skills such as throwing into triple coverage on 3rd and long when youve got the lead!

I agree. I met him at Big Blue Madness and he's a *****. This is a stupid decision, in my opinion. I'll gladly eat some crow if I'm wrong though. I like Newton a whole lot more, but I just want to win. I don't care who starts.
beasy_bo Wrote:i believe we will be better this year than last. especially our offense with locke, cobb and mathews. the defense lost our best DT but still have 3 good ones. at LB we just lost johnson but still have the best one in trevathan. Defense backs will be biggest question. special teams should be sick.....just wondering how we beat auburn in auburn last year, lost to USC barely and have the same records and don't get no love at all. But joker will have these guys going for sure. i'm sure you'll see cobb at QB more this year too.

DB's a question? What? DT is a question, and the inexperience at the LB positions are a question, although we are very talented at LB, and got some extremely good young talent at DT. If we had a Woodson or Couch with this team, 9 or 10 wins would be a real possibility with the run game we will bring this season.

Hartline went 10-14 and scored on every drive in the scrimmage, Newton didnt lead one scoring drive. Hartline earned, some people in camp say folks are going to be surprised just how much Hartline has improved. Sometimes the best motivation is the will to prove people wrong.

I also fully expect Nermin Delic to rip someones arms and legs off in a game this season coming in from the DE position.
This really comes to me as a shock, I thought for sure it would be Newton!!!!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
For all the bashing, Hartline is 2-0 against Louisville. Newton is eventually going ot be our started but right now appartently Hartline still has the advantage, maybe it is because Newton still can't complete a 5 yard pass. Just maybe.
Beetle01 Wrote:DB's a question? What? DT is a question, and the inexperience at the LB positions are a question, although we are very talented at LB, and got some extremely good young talent at DT. If we had a Woodson or Couch with this team, 9 or 10 wins would be a real possibility with the run game we will bring this season.

Hartline went 10-14 and scored on every drive in the scrimmage, Newton didnt lead one scoring drive. Hartline earned, some people in camp say folks are going to be surprised just how much Hartline has improved. Sometimes the best motivation is the will to prove people wrong.

I also fully expect Nermin Delic to rip someones arms and legs off in a game this season coming in from the DE position.

I was really ****ed off from an argument I had just a few minutes ago with my girlfriend when I read the last part of your post...I laughed me *** off. Thanks! :Clap::Thumbs:
Like many on here, I can not say I am surprised or anything. If it was said that Newton was closing in on Hartline there at the end, then I guess that could have been the big clue. For Newton to climb that close to the starter role probably was only knocked out of the question by his youth. I really hope that Hartline does well, but at the first sign of collapse I will be begging Joker to please go with the more athletic Newton.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think this is a good move.
He throws better than Newton and if you want someone in there that's mobile....
run the wildcat and get Cobb some snaps.
This is Hartline's year!!!(I hope)
I see a few picks coming for the Cats this game.
Ah, as most said. Im not suprised either. I personally think Hartline will do fine this year.He has the most experience out of the 3. Hes the best passer, he knows the offense prolly the best. I know that many dont like Hartline but I think hes matured a little over the last year and I dont think he'll point fingers this time if he messes up. I was hoping for Newton but Im now rooting for Hartline to have a good year! Go Cats!

Look at it this way, Joker just said Hartline would be the starter for the season opener @ UL...Mike Hartline 2-0 against the Cards.
I really hope hartline does well. I don't care who plays as long as we win. But there the coaches, they know more about it then i do.
Aslan Wrote:UK loses a good portion of there front 7. You have to stop the run in football but especially the SEC and I don't believe UK will be able to do so.

They lost 3 players, Corey Peters being the best of the 3. They have some really good young talent in their front 7, but UL does have a strong running game, Im just surprised VA is backup as of now. UL returned all their starters on the Oline, but that was a really bad Oline, and just because they came back doesnt mean they are going to go from terrible to awesome. It should be a good matchup, if UL can sustain a running attack throughout the game, it should stay close as both teams are going to keep it on the ground, thus limiting possessions and eating up clock. If UK can stuff the run early and get a lead to force UL into a passing attack with their lack of receivers, it could get ugly. I think UK has a much better passing attack and could recover much easier from an early deficit, whereas UL needs to keep it close to the end to have a chance to win.
^ Very solid post
Hartline is the best choice for right now. He doesn't do anything flashy, but he plays smart and doesn't get you beat. He will be even better now with the addition of a good receiving corp.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Hartline is the best choice for right now. He doesn't do anything flashy, but he plays smart and doesn't get you beat. He will be even better now with the addition of a good receiving corp.

I would hardly say Hartline plays smart , I was at the Alabama game last year and man did he make some of the worst decisions that game i ve ever seen a quarterback make . However , I would say he does have the better passing skills than Newton so hopefully hes learned from his mistakes and stays healthy .
Hartline is 2-0 against Louisville, a senior and is more familiar with the system and players than any of the other QB's at UK right now. I say start him until he shows he can't do it, but I think he'll be just fine and lead Kentucky to another bowl game.
I wish him and UK the best of luck this season!
Hartline should come in and play smart. I expect to see a whole different player from him to warrant the attention and starting spot over a talent like Newton. I think that Hartline has to be making better plays, and throwing with better accuracy. If not then this choice was done purely on seniority which is not always a formula for victory. I think that at the first sign of collapse from Hartline, fans will be all over him which will effect his decisions even more. Ultimately I think that Newton starts a few games and pecks away to the point that obtains the starter role. But than again, Hartline may have his BIG year like someone has already said. I sure hope so, before the season goes awry!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lwc Wrote:I wish him and UK the best of luck this season!

:Thumbs: Ditto.
Reminds me of the Andre Woodson Curtis Pulley argument from a few years back. Hartline is by far the best choice for now. He will do just fine.
I don't diagree with the decision Jokers made here beacuse Hartline is the more experianced player but i think if Joker really wants to but a continding program he should have named Newton the starter. He has three years left to build on and gain experiance and the good thing about being inexperianced is that some day you'll be experianced. I think Newton should be taking the snaps that way were not having this discussion in 3 years when Newtons a senior and a sophomore is trying to take his spot it won't happen if he palys now!
Idiot. We have a sophomore and a redshirt freshman that need the reps more than Hartline. Either Moss or Newton are the future of our program. There is no reason why they shouldn't be getting game time instead of Hartline. Mike has shown from day one he's a lameduck QB. I guess Jokers next announcement will be that we are going to increase the number of screen passes ran in a game.
BCF4L Wrote:Idiot. We have a sophomore and a redshirt freshman that need the reps more than Hartline. Either Moss or Newton are the future of our program. There is no reason why they shouldn't be getting game time instead of Hartline. Mike has shown from day one he's a lameduck QB. I guess Jokers next announcement will be that we are going to increase the number of screen passes ran in a game.

:Thumbs:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Joker names senior, Mike Hartline the starter for the opener at Louisville.

Cannot say I'm surprised.

:ChairHit:
This would have been such a good learning year for Newton or Massakowski(sp?) I guess ill start watchin UK games after they get beat by 40 by Florida and Hartline is taken out of the game in the second quarter for throwin five picks.:igiveup: