Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville High announces Fishing team
As of today, Mike Rowe announced his acceptance of the PHS Fishing team. Sponsors are needed also so if you would like to help the boys and their hard earned hobby, contact at (606) 432-0185

Im pretty sure some schools down in South KY have teams. Tournament dates are yet to be determined.

So.....um go Panthers!?
That's pretty cool. But, I've never heard of a fishing team. What other schools have a fishing team?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
lol
With the popularity now of the Professional Bass Master tour, I guess it was only a matter of time. I like the idea, not sure that it will ever be a sanctioned HS sport though.
Wish Prestonsburg would have one.

We've had a few boys win several tournaments over the past few years.
^ I think it has a real chance of gaining interest. It's another activity that anyone can do, thus it makes it equal for all. Gets more kids active in something besides XBox.
Stardust Wrote:^ I think it has a real chance of gaining interest. It's another activity that anyone can do, thus it makes it equal for all. Gets more kids active in something besides XBox.

True, but fishing is a very expensive sport that I don't think a lot of students can afford.

- Fishing license: $20.
- Boats range from $1,000-20,000.
- A good rod/reel: $50-200.
- Lures: $2-15.

It's kinda like golf in a way for the students, because you have to bring your own personal clubs/reels, etc.
Sounds interesting, who do you play against? Shore fishing, or will there be boats? Is it BYOB? or instead of water jugs they have kegs? I know when I was in HS that would have been necessary.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:True, but fishing is a very expensive sport that I don't think a lot of students can afford.

- Fishing license: $20.
- Boats range from $1,000-20,000.
- A good rod/reel: $50-200.
- Lures: $2-15.

It's kinda like golf in a way for the students, because you have to bring your own personal clubs/reels, etc.

Very true. I guess we will have to see what the intent is. I guess we are all assuming that this is in a school league as well. That may not be the case. They certianly could be competing in regular public fishing tournaments under an amateur status.
ESPN hosts and shows a Bass National Championship for colloeges every year. Eastern Kentucky University won it this year. So, I guess its trickling down to high schools now.
So I can expect EKU's fishing team to get put on probation for recruiting violations soon?
^ LOL, too funny. Sounds "fishy" to me......
Beetle01 Wrote:So I can expect EKU's fishing team to get put on probation for recruiting violations soon?

EKU is a lot like Chris Jericho: THEY ARE BEST AT WHAT THEY DO!!!!
If...Then Wrote:As of today, Mike Rowe announced his acceptance of the PHS Fishing team. Sponsors are needed also so if you would like to help the boys and their hard earned hobby, contact at (606) 432-0185

Im pretty sure some schools down in South KY have teams. Tournament dates are yet to be determined.

So.....um go Panthers!?
Can you or the gentleman the phone number leads to answer any of the questions above? The first thing that crossed my mind were liabilities. Its a great idea and i would love to see it take off. I am pretty sure that most highschools already have fishing clubs. But by saying team i am understanding you mean to compete? I could see if it being lucrative to have some events with an adult angler. The adult would take the student participant out in a real event and the student would compete against other students for points. There are only team events in that region though and it would be hard to find an open boat. Can you please be more specific on the competition format you have worked out.
I wish I was still in school~
Be nice if the school provided the boats.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
I LOVE this idea. Hans Doderer who teaches at paintsville would be all over this I think Im gonna talk to him and see if he could get one started lol.
The Paintsville Tigersharks!!!!!!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
From what I have heard, the sponsors will be parents or people that have a boat that will be wiling to help out. The kids are not allowed to drive a boat in any tournaments but they are a loud to drive a boat when they practice. A parent/teacher/sponsor will have to drive the kids around in tournaments.
I believe 3 or 4 kids that are really interested this, their parents have boats and they will be sponsoring. They are looking for any kind of sponsors they can get whether they just donate money or they have a boat or they are wiling to drive the kids around in the tournaments.
i know, right? Wrote:From what I have heard, the sponsors will be parents or people that have a boat that will be wiling to help out. The kids are not allowed to drive a boat in any tournaments but they are a loud to drive a boat when they practice. A parent/teacher/sponsor will have to drive the kids around in tournaments.
I believe 3 or 4 kids that are really interested this, their parents have boats and they will be sponsoring. They are looking for any kind of sponsors they can get whether they just donate money or they have a boat or they are wiling to drive the kids around in the tournaments.

LOL what? Is that even possible, and if so how is it done? Do you go and practice casting into inflatable mini pools like at a fair?
This is great glad to see them add something for the youth of eky
Im ready to go back to high school!!
What a great opportunity for these kids. I would of loved to have this when I was in school. This is just another example of how things are changing, and in this case it is for the better. This could really help a lot of kids stay busy and stay out of trouble!
This program would be even better if the kids didnt have to have a parent/teacher/sponsor drive them in the tournaments. I think that if the 17 or 18 year old kid that can get the boat that is his/her parents/guardian and the parents/guardian signs for them that they say it is ok by them. The child should be able to drive the boat in the tournaments. This is just my opinion.
must be nice tohave a fishing team that would have been great when i was in school
Haven't heard anything from this in a while, how is it going and is it still going on?
Great idea