Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the combat troops really out of Iraq?
This is an email I recieved from a friend of mine thought you guys might like to read it.

Hey everybody I just wanted to send a quick update and give Yall the REAL story on what's going on over here with the troop withdrawal. The picture is of my crew and I on a break during a mission. The guy to the far left is my gunner (Burks) and the guy in the middle is my driver (Mizell). They go with me on every mission and are great guys. The reason I'm sending this out is because I have had a few people ask if I left Iraq early because all of the combat troops are out of Iraq and I wanted to let everyone know the real deal. It's kind of ridiculous how the news is saying that the last of the "combat" troops are out of Iraq because of Pres Osama ( I mean Obama ). He says that it was his campaign promise. Take our Brigade for example. We were originally called a HBCT ( Heavy Brigade Combat Team). Well since Obama said he would pull all of the "combat" troops out by Aug all they did before we left was change our name from a HBCT to a AAB ( Advise and Assist Brigade ). We have the same personnel/equipment layout as before and are doing the same missions. The ONLY difference is that they changed our name from a HBCT to an AAB and that's how he is getting away with saying that he has pulled all of the "combat" troops out. It is really ridiculous what he's doing and he has ticked alot of people off. And it's funny how the media is buying all of it to. So no the last combat troops are not out of Iraq we are still here. There are other Brigades just like ours that are doing the same missions that are still over here. Sorry for going on about it but we are just sitting over here watching it and are like "You've got to be kidding me!" So anyway now you know the REAL story so that's why I'm not coming back early.

I took his name out so there would not be any backlash.

Vote NO incumbents in 2010 !!!!Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that it has not first taken from someone else.
While I believe this message has political undertones it does have a point. I don't know if its the President or the media who is misrepresenting the truth. While I understand what is going on, because I have experienced similar actions under Bush, it is very misleading to the public. During my first deployment they announced victory and an end to major combat operations I was still under fire in Iraq. Yet they did save money by taking our hostile fire pay and hazardous duty pay for a month. Now the President has changed the mission of combat troops and pulled other heavy combat bregades out there are still combat troops there. I believe it has more to do with a diconnect between the media, citizens, and the military. But it does seem the President has adopted McCain's plan for Iraq.
I'm not sure what the publics perception is, but we will never leave Iraq. The "War" as the President called, may be considered over, but troops will never be eliminated from that country. There will be as many as 10,000 special forces that will be deployed at all times. This is the same as we we have in Germany, Japan, Vietnam, Korea, Cuba..... So the presidents message is misleading to those not in the know.
Matman Wrote:While I believe this message has political undertones

Really?
BillyB Wrote:Really?

Is that sarcasm? The sentence wasn't to point out the obvious political bias. Thats why I stated the rest of the sentence that you left out. Do you agree that even though its a bias piece it does have a valid message?
It's surely interesting to read a troops point of view. But the beginning of a troop withdrawal
hasn't even begun yet has it?
Anyone who thought the war was over should probably stop watching the news and becoming lemmings. I think for the most part we all knew troops would continue to stay in Iraq for the lifetime of us all.

That's right though lets have an overhaul of republicans elected in as of November second. VOTE TEA PARTY everyone. Fuel the vote no inferno. The GOP has got its groove back!!!!!
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Anyone who thought the war was over should probably stop watching the news and becoming lemmings. I think for the most part we all knew troops would continue to stay in Iraq for the lifetime of us all.

That's right though lets have an overhaul of republicans elected in as of November second. VOTE TEA PARTY everyone. Fuel the vote no inferno. The GOP has got its groove back!!!!!

:Thumbs: I like it a lot!
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Anyone who thought the war was over should probably stop watching the news and becoming lemmings. I think for the most part we all knew troops would continue to stay in Iraq for the lifetime of us all.

Unfortunately An overhaul of republicans is why were over there in the first place.
I could have told you all that. Many of my friends are over there right now, they're all Cavalry and Infantry, and they're all in combat units. But, what he means by combat troops or combat units, is that unit's specific job is to kill the enemy, or go with the Iraqi's to kill the enemy. These other combat troops are not going on patrols and manning checkpoints, they are training the Iraqi's to do those things.

It gets alot more technical than that, and I'll elaborate when I get a few hours of sleep, if anyone even still cares.
Matman Wrote:Is that sarcasm?

Yes.

Matman Wrote:The sentence wasn't to point out the obvious political bias. Thats why I stated the rest of the sentence that you left out. Do you agree that even though its a bias piece it does have a valid message?

It's hard to see the message when the messenger immediately resorts to comments like "Pres Osama."
its not hard to see the message if you look for it. i get tickled though you have to watch what you say about the pres cause eventually become a racist. Just like everyone else on here......we will have troop in Iraq on standby and will have everyday combat troops. If we have to attack iran where we have to have them covered in all directions. Afghanistan troops got boosted by 30,000+ but yet they just want to tell us we are out of iraq.
Man, the news does a horrible job of informing the public. The soldier that sent that email out is a *****, or he wouldn't have said the things he did.
I really do not think so as Iraq people can not expect peace and stability for a few years.
The short answer is, "No, all combat troops are not out of Iraq." Obama and the Democrats are just desperately trying to take credit for some kind of success before the November elections. The problem is that our enemies are not cooperating in the Democrats' reelection campaign.

What is happening in Iraq is exactly what Bush warned would happen if we announced a firm timetable for withdrawal of troops.

[INDENT]
Quote:Despite formal combat end, US joins Baghdad battle

Days after the U.S. officially ended combat operations and touted Iraq's ability to defend itself, American troops found themselves battling heavily armed militants assaulting an Iraqi military headquarters in the center of Baghdad on Sunday. The fighting killed 12 people and wounded dozens.

It was the first exchange of fire involving U.S. troops in Baghdad since the Aug. 31 deadline for formally ending the combat mission, and it showed that American troops remaining in the country are still being drawn into the fighting. It is what any sensible person could have predicted would happen.

The attack also made plain the kind of lapses in security that have left Iraqis wary of the U.S. drawdown and distrustful of the ability of Iraqi forces now taking up ultimate responsibility for protecting the country.
[/INDENT]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The short answer is, "No, all combat troops are not out of Iraq." Obama and the Democrats are just desperately trying to take credit for some kind of success before the November elections. The problem is that our enemies are not cooperating in the Democrats' reelection campaign.

What is happening in Iraq is exactly what Bush warned would happen if we announced a firm timetable for withdrawal of troops.

Yeah, this is why they are called "advise and assist" units...because that's what they do. They do not engage the enemy unless they have to. Alot of my buddies that are in heavy units (units with tanks and Bradleys) that are in Iraq I talk to everyday on Facebook. They explain to me what they're doing, so this info is coming straight from the field.

Yes, they are Infantry and Cavalry Soldiers, and those are combat MOS's and combat units, but that is not their role now. Just like combat wasn't the role of Cavalryman and Infantryman that were deployed to Haiti after the earthquake.
vundy33 Wrote:Yeah, this is why they are called "advise and assist" units...because that's what they do. They do not engage the enemy unless they have to. Alot of my buddies that are in heavy units (units with tanks and Bradleys) that are in Iraq I talk to everyday on Facebook. They explain to me what they're doing, so this info is coming straight from the field.

Yes, they are Infantry and Cavalry Soldiers, and those are combat MOS's and combat units, but that is not their role now. Just like combat wasn't the role of Cavalryman and Infantryman that were deployed to Haiti after the earthquake.

Have you ever worked with a MET team. They are there surving in leadership roles as advisers. I have alot of freinds still there. I have a few guys from my platoon that volunteered to with another unute. They are doing route clearance. They still go out everyday and take out IEDs and ambush points. They still get in fire fights. They are training Iraqis to do the job but right now they are doing it. I understand the mission has changed. That is what anyone in the military knows. However if we think they are out of danger then we are sadly mistaken. I just believe this is the plan that McCain put forth during the election and Obama blasted him over it.
Yes, we've provided security for them a few times.

Of course, they're not out of danger, and of course the MET teams are still doing route clearance. They'll be doing that for years to come. But, I was just talking about "most". I'm sure there are SF Task Force's out there killing the enemy, but for the most part, not much is going on. I think Al-Queda will make a small come back, but nothing the troops we have in-country can't stomp out.