Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hokies end ties with troubled QB Vick
RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia Tech quarterback Marcus Vick was dismissed from the team Friday, the result of numerous legal transgressions and his unsportsmanlike conduct in the Toyota Gator Bowl.

[Image: http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/ncf/2...ck_275.jpg]
AP/Phil Coale
Marcus Vick, eluding a Louisville defender in the Gator Bowl, stepped on the leg of another Cardinal player who tackled him in the first half.

University president Charles Steger announced the dismissal on the same day that coach Frank Beamer met with Vick and his mother in their Hampton Roads home, the school said. Beamer informed them of the decision during the meeting.

Vick, the younger brother of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, was suspended from school in 2004 for several legal problems. The junior came under new and intense scrutiny this week after replays showed he stomped on the left calf of Louisville All-American defensive end Elvis Dumervil during the Jan. 2 bowl.

No penalty was called on the play and Vick claimed its was accidental. He further hurt his cause by claiming to have apologized to Dumervil, but the Louisville player said no such apology was ever offered.

On Friday, it was revealed that Vick had been stopped for speeding and driving with a revoked or suspended license in Hampton on Dec. 17. Vick's license had been taken away last year when he was cited for reckless driving and marijuana possession in New Kent County.

Steger suspended Vick from school at that time, and warned that any additional problems would effectively end his time as a member of the Hokies' football team.

"The university provided one last opportunity for Vick to become a citizen of the university and readmitted him in January 2005, with the proviso that any future problems would result in automatic dismissal from the team," Steger said Friday.

Beamer said in a statement that he was disappointed with the outcome.

"I'm very disappointed that this didn't have a better ending," Beamer said in a statement. "We wanted what's best for this football team and Marcus. I certainly wish him the best."

School officials said in a statement that there would be no further comment until a news conference on Saturday. Beamer, Steger and athletic director Jim Weaver, who said the stomping embarrassed the university, were all expected to attend.
well after seeing the replay of him kicking Dumervil so many times, I thought that something had to be done and something that wasnt in the thread was that he was arrested on Dec. 17th for driving with a suspended or revoked drivers liscense, so that was the real biggie that caused VA Tech to get rid of him. Hate to hear that for Marcus, he was a great QB and was doing very great performing under the shadow of Mike Vick. So will this hurt his shot at the pros if he does go?
"-STAT-" Wrote:well after seeing the replay of him kicking Dumervil so many times, I thought that something had to be done and something that wasnt in the thread was that he was arrested on Dec. 17th for driving with a suspended or revoked drivers liscense, so that was the real biggie that caused VA Tech to get rid of him. Hate to hear that for Marcus, he was a great QB and was doing very great performing under the shadow of Mike Vick. So will this hurt his shot at the pros if he does go?

yea it does about half way down the page
ohh my bad, wasnt paying attention to that. lol
Wow. Great move by VaTech.

I am impressed. I wish I could say that I felt sorry for Vick--but I don't. Not even a little bit. It is great to see a team actually do what is right as opposed to trying to cover up for these jokers. It also shows that VaTech is more worried about what is right as opposed to the fact that Marcus is Mike's brother.
It was only a matter of time before this happened, he has given the school nothin but problems.
Maybe Kentucky will try to get him for his senior season?
he will just go pro
I hate this for Vick he is a very good qb.
Very good QB, but a very bad attitude.
Good move by VT, it's about time.
"ACE" Wrote:I hate this for Vick he is a very good qb.

I am a tech fan and have been for a while now. I have to say that Vick is a wart on the butt of VT. He has been spolied by his brother's fame and money. He will never be the guy that his brother is and has been. This was the best thing that VT could have done.

Now he can take his poor attitude to 1-AA or Oakland! LOL

:dump:
i think he should have been suspended a game.. u dont let go ur playmaker and u dont cut ur best player stupid decision by va tech
"blackcat" Wrote:Maybe Kentucky will try to get him for his senior season?

wouldnt be able too do that. If he played College again he would have to go to a Division 1-2AA school.
I don't know if the NCAA would let him do that. Not after his actions.
i dont think they he will be able to go pro hes not that good if he does he will go because of his name and nothing else
I'm glad VT did this.. what he did was uncalled for and he has a bad attitude... he thinks nobody is in his league and he will learn fast if he plays in the nfl he isn't that great
"15thRegionCrazy" Wrote:I'm glad VT did this.. what he did was uncalled for and he has a bad attitude... he thinks nobody is in his league and he will learn fast if he plays in the nfl he isn't that great

I agree 100%! The NFL will be a wake up call.

:Guitar01: :insane: :Guitar01:
He's A Thug Glad He's Gone
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:Wow. Great move by VaTech.

I am impressed. I wish I could say that I felt sorry for Vick--but I don't. Not even a little bit. It is great to see a team actually do what is right as opposed to trying to cover up for these jokers. It also shows that VaTech is more worried about what is right as opposed to the fact that Marcus is Mike's brother.
Amen brother!!! He's a punk, I hope he goes undrafted!
bad call
The need for a QB is so great in the NFL that someone will take a chance on this THUG.