Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is 75 points running the score up?
Batpuff Wrote:Let me add something it has nothing to do with football but I seen several score from Valleys basketball team that was beating teams by 40 points.. Do you tell them not to shoot or try for the steal or try for the rebound.. Well its the same difference. And I am not trashing the program just using them as an example.

I was told that starters were playing in the 4th quarter and to me thats crazy. if your jv and freshman put up a lot of those points then their isn't anything wrong with that. IF your starters were playing in the fourth quarter your coach has no class. Plain and simple.
Like has been said they ran 1 play if I'm not mistaken from around 4 to 6 minutes left in the 3rd qtr. on offense not counting the final 26 seconds of the game when they got the ball back. On that one play with the running clock at the start of the 4th they took over on the SV 26 after a turnover and they ran it for a TD. Once again I don't hear much on here from Valley and was even told off the board that well just say Valley was ok with it.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
Superman20 Wrote:Its HS football. You wanna teach kids good sportsmanship and what your suggesting is none of that. If your JV and freshman put up points, then that can't be helped. Why take the risk of hurting a starter in a game that you have already won? thats STUPID. You take your "foot off the pedal" so that all of your players actually get a chance to play and your younger players get some experience. As far as im concerned this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on here. How would it have looked if a star player broke his leg and your up 60 points against a terrible ball team? Could ruin the rest of a teams season.
Nowhere did I mention anywhere that I would have left my starters in. I guess I should have stated that yes, I would have pulled my starters. What Im saying is when coaches put their JV in, and run 35 dive plays in a row, take knees inside the 10 on first or second down..I would run the very same offense that I ran all game, with my JV players in. I would NOT run dive play after dive play, and I would NEVER take a knee in a blowout game. Yes I understand that coaches and parents and fans and students will whine and play the "WAAAAAAAHHH THEY RAN THE SCORE UP ON US" and get sympathy from everybody bullcrap, and some might call it bad sportsmanship, but seriously, I could care less. Here's my point; I graduated from Jenkins sixteen years ago. We were competitve and won 7 games my senior year. Over the past 13 or 14 years, with the exception of a couple of decent seasons, they have had THE WORST football program in the entire state and still do today. Why? Because when they get beat 70-0, the parents and coaches blast the other schools for "running the score up" instead of teaching them to do something about it. They dont lift in the offseason. They dont get in shape. They dont do ANYTHING to stop teams from beating them to death. They have 35 kids dressed this year, which is about 10 short of the 5a school from down the road. But theyll all be the first to cry to you that "so and so left their starters in until the 3rd quarter"..I get so sick of that. If you are getting tired of getting destroyed, do something about it. I have zero sympathy for programs like Jenkins, and Shelby Valley, and Knott Central, and everybody else who has taken it on the chin this year.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yeah, I see what your saying now. I thought you were saying that you were pretty much saying you would leave your starters in the whole game. If a teams jv and freshman puts up points and you put up 75, nothing can be done and your getting your young kids more experience.
Superman20 Wrote:Yeah, I see what your saying now. I thought you were saying that you were pretty much saying you would leave your starters in the whole game. If a teams jv and freshman puts up points and you put up 75, nothing can be done and your getting your young kids more experience.
Exactly:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RoShamBo Wrote:Pendleton Co. put up 97 on Letcher Co. a few years back if I remember correctly. Anyways I think it has more to do with the nature of the win. Was there bad blood before the game? Did the starters stay in late into the 2nd half? Were they passing the ball or running trick plays after going up a few touchdowns? If the answer is yes to all of these questions, then yeah 75 is running up the score. But as Jimmy Johnson would say, you can only coach one team.

Let me make a correction. It was not Letcher County Central Cougars. It was the Letcher Eagles. Not Letcher County. There is a community in Letcher County called Letcher the same as there is a Harlan in Harlan County. For years, people called them Letcher County when they were actually Letcher. This game was preconsolidation and Letcher only had football a couple of years so their kids would get exposed to it before they consolidated.
CatDawg Wrote:According to KHSAA they did.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyfb4/17464

Pendleton was 3-3 at the time and finished 5-5. This game took place on October 1st, 2004.

Letcher County Central did not exist at that time, like I have previously said it was Letcher Eagles( a very small Class A school with only two years of football), not Letcher County. Looks like another year of geography lessons are in order.
StrayBullet Wrote:Catdawg is all over it tonight people watch out...:yikes:

Not all over it as you might think.
CatDawg Wrote:I don't think he said Letcher Co. Central in his post and the last part of tcb's post stated, "but I am certain it was not Letcher". However, it was Letcher.

You are right that it was Letcher but RoShambo did state Letcher County, not Letcher.
I suggest after 40 point the score not be kept anymore. Also, after the 40 point limit is met, make the JV players on both teams play the rest of the game.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

OrangenowBlue Wrote:You are right that it was Letcher but RoShambo did state Letcher County, not Letcher.
I never said Letcher County or LCC so I don't need geography lessons maybe someone else needs to improve their reading comprehension. No hard feelings I know what you meant. My family is actually from Letcher County.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
Well here is something for you to look at.. And you think this year team was running the score up.

Aug 21, 99 Harlan at Appalachian Bowl, Clay County HS 73 - 32 (W)
Aug 27, 99 Perry County Central home 77 - 42 (W)
Sep 3, 99 Belfry away 50 - 6 (W)
Sep 10, 99 Ashland Blazer home 58 - 28 (W) District game
Sep 17, 99 Tolsia, WV away 51 - 12 (W)
Sep 24, 99 Sheldon Clark home 16 - 18 (L) District game
Sep 30, 99 Rowan County away 66 - 0 (W) District game
Oct 8, 99 Magoffin County away 56 - 6 (W) District game
Oct 15, 99 Greenup County away 59 - 27 (W) District game
Oct 22, 99 Open
Oct 29, 99 East Carter home 69 - 7 (W) District game
Nov 5, 99 Whitley County home 68 - 20 (W) Class AAA Tournament
First Round Class AAA
Nov 12, 99 Bell County away 40 - 8 (W) Class AAA Tournament
Second Round Class AAA
Nov 19, 99 Rockcastle County away 48 - 14 (W) Class AAA Tournament
Quarter Finals Class AAA
Nov 26, 99 Highlands away 36 - 76 (L) Class AAA Tournament
Semi Finals Class AAA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
He for the idiot that runs another site that was saying that 75 was way to much look at the last game of the year.. just happens to be the team he supports. I wish I knew someone that had an account on the other site to post this in there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
That was a fun year.
Batpuff Wrote:He for the idiot that runs another site that was saying that 75 was way to much look at the last game of the year.. just happens to be the team he supports. I wish I knew someone that had an account on the other site to post this in there.
I believe you do number 42.
Hey, I have a idea....We have all these cry babies complaining LC runs the score up. Why dont we just play the first team to 50 wins! That way the team can quit playing at halftime like everybody wants us too.
CatDawg Wrote:I don't think he said Letcher Co. Central in his post and the last part of tcb's post stated, "but I am certain it was not Letcher". However, it was Letcher.

OK Catdawg bud forgot about poor little Letcher having a team one year before consolidation. My fault thought you were referring to LCC. SORRY.....
No problem with me I forgot about them to and actually thought he was referring to LCC at first as well.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Nowhere did I mention anywhere that I would have left my starters in. I guess I should have stated that yes, I would have pulled my starters. What Im saying is when coaches put their JV in, and run 35 dive plays in a row, take knees inside the 10 on first or second down..I would run the very same offense that I ran all game, with my JV players in. I would NOT run dive play after dive play, and I would NEVER take a knee in a blowout game. Yes I understand that coaches and parents and fans and students will whine and play the "WAAAAAAAHHH THEY RAN THE SCORE UP ON US" and get sympathy from everybody bullcrap, and some might call it bad sportsmanship, but seriously, I could care less. Here's my point; I graduated from Jenkins sixteen years ago. We were competitve and won 7 games my senior year. Over the past 13 or 14 years, with the exception of a couple of decent seasons, they have had THE WORST football program in the entire state and still do today. Why? Because when they get beat 70-0, the parents and coaches blast the other schools for "running the score up" instead of teaching them to do something about it. They dont lift in the offseason. They dont get in shape. They dont do ANYTHING to stop teams from beating them to death. They have 35 kids dressed this year, which is about 10 short of the 5a school from down the road. But theyll all be the first to cry to you that "so and so left their starters in until the 3rd quarter"..I get so sick of that. If you are getting tired of getting destroyed, do something about it. I have zero sympathy for programs like Jenkins, and Shelby Valley, and Knott Central, and everybody else who has taken it on the chin this year.

:notworthy
Seems to me I recall SV doing the same thing a few years back in the PCB against Phelps.... The game was played @ Belfry so it was give or take...... 5 or 6 years ago....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:Seems to me I recall SV doing the same thing a few years back in the PCB against Phelps.... The game was played @ Belfry so it was give or take...... 5 or 6 years ago....

Totally different coach and play now. SV did score 66 against Knott. But, however starters were given 1 series of plays during the second half. Lawrence's starting running back was still breaking 60+ yard runs late in the game. In my opinion, yes, i think 75 points is running the score up.
Years ago inferior teams took their licks and went home and tried to improve. It was a fact of life. When the score was 30 to nothing at halftime the second team was put in. If the inferior team scored on the second team, the starters were put back in to teach the second team a lesson and put the inferiors back in their place. Back then if you lost 75 to nothing you just got what you deserved. I think the running clock is a shame, it prevents kids that have worked hard all week from getting a chance to play, cheats the fans out of the chance to see their kid play. Fans should get some of their money back if they only get to see a partial game.
ok lets just put this out there. Lawrence county will be critisized every game. win big-ran the score up. barely win-should have won by more. lose-told you they were no good. if the coach calls every play a running play and they still score he has no class. if he takes out the starters his teams not ready for the play offs. sorry if this offends anyone but this is football. when you score on long plays you have to keep your starters in there a little longer to give them the reps they need to improve. calling time outs before half, fake punts, running the two minute drill, situational downs, going for two. these things need to be worked on in order to be ready for play offs. when is there a better time to do these things than in a game where you have a big lead? yes the scedule is weak, we all know that. sorry. but i can remember gettin butt whippins from paintsville as well. lawrence will continue to win games this year. they will be in the play offs, where they will meet a quality apponant. can we all quit beating them up and let them prepare for that match. sorry for those teams that may be on the other side of those victories. maybe that loss will be a building block for thier respective program, maybe it will be incentive to work harder over the summer to get a little payback. who knows. but bashing any team for scoring touchdowns is obsurd. every kid on the field wants to score its not my place or yours to tell them they cant. Lawrence Counties coach has to prepare his team for the playoffs. teach them what to do on third and long, forth and short, inside two minutes, run trick plays that may be a difference maker in the big game, get quality minutes for the starters. alot goes on in a coaches mind other than "are we scoring too much". and as for the kids (like james) they only play high school sports once. give them their moment of glory. every one deserves their Al Bundy stories.
southbound Wrote:ok lets just put this out there. Lawrence county will be critisized every game. win big-ran the score up. barely win-should have won by more. lose-told you they were no good. if the coach calls every play a running play and they still score he has no class. if he takes out the starters his teams not ready for the play offs. sorry if this offends anyone but this is football. when you score on long plays you have to keep your starters in there a little longer to give them the reps they need to improve. calling time outs before half, fake punts, running the two minute drill, situational downs, going for two. these things need to be worked on in order to be ready for play offs. when is there a better time to do these things than in a game where you have a big lead? yes the scedule is weak, we all know that. sorry. but i can remember gettin butt whippins from paintsville as well. lawrence will continue to win games this year. they will be in the play offs, where they will meet a quality apponant. can we all quit beating them up and let them prepare for that match. sorry for those teams that may be on the other side of those victories. maybe that loss will be a building block for thier respective program, maybe it will be incentive to work harder over the summer to get a little payback. who knows. but bashing any team for scoring touchdowns is obsurd. every kid on the field wants to score its not my place or yours to tell them they cant. Lawrence Counties coach has to prepare his team for the playoffs. teach them what to do on third and long, forth and short, inside two minutes, run trick plays that may be a difference maker in the big game, get quality minutes for the starters. alot goes on in a coaches mind other than "are we scoring too much". and as for the kids (like james) they only play high school sports once. give them their moment of glory. every one deserves their Al Bundy stories.

while i agree with you completely that the starters needs reps to get ready for the playoffs if you are rattling of 60-70 yard TD runs against your opponent... play better opponents. while you cant help who is in your district you can choose the non district games to a point. sure every team has an easy game or 2 and that may be the case here, but if 1/2 your schedule is filled with teams that you should easily handle the coaches should start looking for stronger teams to play.
Running the score up is an imaginary concept thought up by teams that can't compete!
Who cares who they play or how much they score? They taught sportsmanship in lower grade school. Not High School. I have never seen a game where a coach tells his kid hes playing for sportsmanship and love of the game. Its win win win.

Its LC job to score, Its the other teams job to stop them. You shouldn't stop doing your job if the other team isn't doing their job well.
Good to see so many folks with common sense on here. Those who complain about running up the score should be ashamed of themselves. Weak, very weak.:biggrin:
southbound Wrote:ok lets just put this out there. Lawrence county will be critisized every game. win big-ran the score up. barely win-should have won by more. lose-told you they were no good. if the coach calls every play a running play and they still score he has no class. if he takes out the starters his teams not ready for the play offs. sorry if this offends anyone but this is football. when you score on long plays you have to keep your starters in there a little longer to give them the reps they need to improve. calling time outs before half, fake punts, running the two minute drill, situational downs, going for two. these things need to be worked on in order to be ready for play offs. when is there a better time to do these things than in a game where you have a big lead? yes the scedule is weak, we all know that. sorry. but i can remember gettin butt whippins from paintsville as well. lawrence will continue to win games this year. they will be in the play offs, where they will meet a quality apponant. can we all quit beating them up and let them prepare for that match. sorry for those teams that may be on the other side of those victories. maybe that loss will be a building block for thier respective program, maybe it will be incentive to work harder over the summer to get a little payback. who knows. but bashing any team for scoring touchdowns is obsurd. every kid on the field wants to score its not my place or yours to tell them they cant. Lawrence Counties coach has to prepare his team for the playoffs. teach them what to do on third and long, forth and short, inside two minutes, run trick plays that may be a difference maker in the big game, get quality minutes for the starters. alot goes on in a coaches mind other than "are we scoring too much". and as for the kids (like james) they only play high school sports once. give them their moment of glory. every one deserves their Al Bundy stories.

If your starters score at will then how are they getting better?
2dog Wrote:Good to see so many folks with common sense on here. Those who complain about running up the score should be ashamed of themselves. Weak, very weak.:biggrin:

Kids have love for the game. If you're standing on the sideline and theres another team up 60+ points on you and going for 2 after a touchdown how would you feel? Would you say "oh its just football lets stop them here"? I think not. I'm sure you'd set there and blame everything on yourself and wonder why you suck so bad. A team should know how good they are. If you beat a team 60+ and still keep your starters in till late in the game, you have no class and no respect for the kids on the other sideline. The coach also needs to get his lower classman reps at the varsity level because they'll be there next year. Either way LC could have showed better class.
Game Over Wrote:Kids have love for the game. If you're standing on the sideline and theres another team up 60+ points on you and going for 2 after a touchdown how would you feel? Would you say "oh its just football lets stop them here"? I think not. I'm sure you'd set there and blame everything on yourself and wonder why you suck so bad. A team should know how good they are. If you beat a team 60+ and still keep your starters in till late in the game, you have no class and no respect for the kids on the other sideline. The coach also needs to get his lower classman reps at the varsity level because they'll be there next year. Either way LC could have showed better class.

Most teams around don't even have anyone that can kick extra points.
So going for 2 in High School football is not a big deal and it isn't a sign that someone is running the score up.